PDA

View Full Version : Car Troubles

ac_lanham
03-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Anyone got any advice on a locked engine? Seems I've had a minor oil leak and my engine has locked up, I'm totally car illiterate and any help would be appreciated

Chambers34Phins
03-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Fix the oil leak. :-P

03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Are you saying there was no oil in the engine and it has seized? Which means, basically, the friction of your pistons against your cylinder walls has melted the metal and welded your engine into one big solid useless hunk of metal.

If so, you should consider buying a whole new engine (if you like the car) or simply junking the car. What kind of car are we talking about here?

Pagan
03-06-2004, 03:42 PM
It means you're screwed. You either have to replace the engine or buy a new car.

P4E
03-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 1972
Are you saying there was no oil in the engine and it has seized? Which means, basically, the friction of your pistons against your cylinder walls has melted the metal and welded your engine into one big solid useless hunk of metal.

If so, you should consider buying a whole new engine (if you like the car) or simply junking the car. What kind of car are we talking about here?
I couldn't bring myself to express just that when I read the initial post. Seeing you say it reminded me SO much of all the warmth of your man Belushi telling Flounder, "You ****ed up, -- you trusted us."

:roflmao:

ac_lanham
03-06-2004, 11:27 PM

Yep, that about sums it up looks like

An 87 Nissan Maxima, be nice 2 me, I'm a High Schooler, all that I got

Sabre Ally
03-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Get a different car, and make a habit of checking the oil regularly.

Zeke0123
03-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Before you scrap check and make sure you didnt just blow a head-gasket it could be hydro locked. pull off all the spark plug wires and crank it if it still wont crank then its probably siezed. Make sure to number or place the wires so you know where they go if your a novice.

themole
03-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ac_lanham

Yep, that about sums it up looks like

Probably gonna cost ya around $2500 including labor to replace old engine with new one. Don't fix it...part it out and recoup some of your money or just sell it for what you can get for it.

03-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ac_lanham

Nothing wrong with an 87 Maxima. Good luck with your problem. :up:

03-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever
Seeing you say it reminded me SO much of all the warmth of your man Belushi telling Flounder, "You ****ed up, -- you trusted us."

:roflmao:

:lol:

Zeke0123
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
sorry DSL been acting up you need to remove the PLUGS to check for hydro-lock and keep the wires marked.

Peebs
03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
If your in High School then let this be an important lesson to you....
Oil change-every 3 months or 3000 miles which ever comes first! A $15.00 oil change can save you thousands of dollars in the long run! :) Best advice my Father ever gave me when I started driving. Well that and always smile sweetly at the officer when he pulls you over ;)

Zeke, even if it were the head gasket that's still gonna run the kid $600!!

Muck
03-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Dude, I'm selling my car this week. $1000 and the batmobile is yours. :chuckle:

P4E
03-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Peebs
If your in High School then let this be an important lesson to you....
Oil change-every 3 months or 3000 miles which ever comes first! A $15.00 oil change can save you thousands of dollars in the long run! :) Best advice my Father ever gave me when I started driving. Well that and always smile sweetly at the officer when he pulls you over ;)

Zeke, even if it were the head gasket that's still gonna run the kid $600!!
Matchmaker, party planner, mechanic,...

Zeke0123
03-08-2004, 02:27 AM
True it would run 600 for a shop but he was asking advice just figured id give em a few options to look at before burying it.

Peebs
03-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever

Matchmaker, party planner, mechanic,...

you left off "house painter" :tongue:

My Mustang was so old and I replaced so many things on it that when my friends car would break down I could tell her what was wrong simply from the symptoms. I told her when I thought it was her timing belt (I was right), her radiator etc....

I kept my Mustang on the road and running until the tranny finally gave out :( AND even that went when she was 10 and I kept it going for 3 more years. She was 13 when she passed on. I miss her.

BigFinFan
03-10-2004, 04:49 PM

you left off "house painter" :tongue:

My Mustang was so old and I replaced so many things on it that when my friends car would break down I could tell her what was wrong simply from the symptoms. I told her when I thought it was her timing belt (I was right), her radiator etc....

I kept my Mustang on the road and running until the tranny finally gave out :( AND even that went when she was 10 and I kept it going for 3 more years. She was 13 when she passed on. I miss her.

:cry:

themole
03-10-2004, 05:02 PM

Peebs...Allan Jackson made a song with that sentiment "My first love was an older women" It's about a 1955 T-Bird he had when he was in High School. Sold it to an Airline pilot in Carolina and didn't get it back until he made his fortune singing many years later.

Peebs
03-11-2004, 01:56 AM
Even if I amass a fortune....that car was deader than a door nail :tongue: Besides the tranny-the AC no longer worked, the fuse for the horn kept blowing everytime I would charge my cell phone in the cigarette lighter, drivers seat was jammed all the way back off the track, there was some kind of leak the cooling system (temp guage kept rising...)

God I miss that car ;) :lol: