PDA

View Full Version : Garcia to Cleveland



LIQUID24
03-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Len Pasquarelli reports Jeff Garcia has signed a 4-year $25m deal with the Cleveland Browns.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1754514

I guess that means Couch is avaliable, not that I'd want him.

Eshlemon
03-09-2004, 02:02 AM
What about Holcombe?

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 02:02 AM
I guess Garcia's dad was lying earlier when he said Jeff was going to the Bucs.

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Eshlemon
What about Holcombe?

He's hurt & may not make it back for camp. He's the back up. Couch is obviously gone now.

Eshlemon
03-09-2004, 02:04 AM
He was being a good parent...scared Browns into uping the offer. More money for their boy! Dad's are great.

LIQUID24
03-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Eshlemon
What about Holcombe?
Holcombe is injured right now, he'll probably be the back up when the season starts.
Couch refused to take a big pay cut, so I'm guessing the Browns will soon cut him.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Never been real impressed with Couch, but at the right price? How is his arm? Seems like he never had a running game with the Browns, so maybe he would take it up a notch or two with Ricky behind him?

We know what we have with Jay, I'd like to see another QB in here to compete with Feeley. He is at least worth a look. Let's bring him in!

LIQUID24
03-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Deus Ex Dolphin
Never been real impressed with Couch, but at the right price? How is his arm? Seems like he never had a running game with the Browns, so maybe he would take it up a notch or two with Ricky behind him?

We know what we have with Jay, I'd like to see another QB in here to compete with Feeley. He is at least worth a look. Let's bring him in!
Well, the Browns offered Couch $3m in 2004, and $3.5m in 2005( plus $3m in incentives) and Couch rejected that offer.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Yeah, but he was under contract for a LOT more money, so they were asking him to take a paycut. Besides, they had benched him at times, so I think he was/is ready to go play elsewhere.

Not saying Couch is the solution, but I'd like a closer look. He could easily be signed for the money that Fiedler is getting this year. Make it, in effect, a two year deal that the Phins can get out of with little cap hit, and see if he can beat Feeley out as starter.

As I said, we know what Jay can do, and it won't be enough to win the big games. The last four years have shown that. No more excuses for Jay, he needs to be shown the door. :evil:

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 02:52 AM
I think Couch is gonna end up in Dallas as their starting QB.

Atila
03-09-2004, 04:28 AM
im curious as to why atlanta was interested in him? as a backup?

Barbarian
03-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Atila
im curious as to why atlanta was interested in him? as a backup?

Yep, not only as a backup, but a backup that is intimately familiar with the WCO. Hell, Garcia could even teach Vick a thing or two while there if he had gone that route considering his experience.

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 04:45 AM
Vick is fragile, they want to secure themselves a good back up & not be in the same position they were last year like we were in 02.

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 04:49 AM
Holcomb is staying in cleveland as the backup to Garcia. Couch is an example of a player who wants more money than he's worth. (i.e. Fiedler). problem is, he has worse stats than Fiedler and Couch had a better core of receivers (even though we had Chambers, we had no one else). True couch never had a RB, but if you can't hit your receivers you are no better than Fiedler, who we already have, and who commands a lower salary than Couch.

Steer clear, i say.

Hellion
03-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Like I said earlier today in another thread, no one knows until he signs. I beleive I was told that Garcia was definitly going to Tampa after i posted the espn link.

This is a great board but people are to quick to beleive the first thing they hear.

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 04:54 AM
The comment was from his father, so you had to figure it was true. Seems like his dad was left out of the loop.

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 04:56 AM
people were saying that because his father was saying that. someone that close to the source usually doesn't lie. obviously jeff WAS going to go to tampa until Cleveland offered him something at the last minute. I would imagine Jeff had his heart set on tampa until Cleveland offered him something he couldn't refuse.

He has officially signed with the Browns now anyway. nothing is up in the air.

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Maybe Cleveland talked bad about Tampa's staff & messed up his limo ride on purpose like the Lions did to us & Woody :angry:

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by SMadison29
Maybe Cleveland talked bad about Tampa's staff & messed up his limo ride on purpose like the Lions did to us & Woody :angry:

:lol:

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 05:02 AM
I think Garcia will work out well for the Browns throwing to their great young stable of WRs. It'll be interesting to see who becomes his #1 target, I'm pulling for Davis, but their defense will probably keep them out of the playoffs.

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by SMadison29
I think Garcia will work out well for the Browns throwing to their great young stable of WRs. It'll be interesting to see who becomes his #1 target, I'm pulling for Davis, but their defense will probably keep them out of the playoffs.

Northcutt is the best receiver they have, it will be interesting to see if Garcia can get him the balls he wants - couch and holcomb could never do that. Northcutt gets open a lot but not a lot of balls thrown his way.

Cleveland is lucky to have Garcia... and at 8 mil for two years... that salary is right around what Fiedler is getting.

sh!t we should have gotten garcia and dumped fielder.

WTF is up with our FO anyway?

Hellion
03-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by SMadison29
The comment was from his father, so you had to figure it was true. Seems like his dad was left out of the loop.

Yeah I know I was just joking around.:D
You would think his father would be a reliable source.:goof:

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 05:10 AM
I don't know if I'd call Northcutt their #1 receiver. He may have had the most catches but he only started 6 games. He, Davis, & Morgan are all about even. That's one of their problems, they don't have a clear cut #1 guy to count on.

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 05:13 AM
if you can lead the team in catches for the year in only 6 games, you are their best receiver ;)

Davis essentially "broke out" last season. He may fare well next season, may not. but he only did well b/c Northcutt was drawing the double coverage when he playing. Kinda like JT and O-gun, they complement each other.

I can tell you this: they all sucked as Fantasy receivers last year. Northcutt was the best points-wise by far.

although with the addition of garcia, this should change.

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 05:16 AM
They all could be great if they had a QB in the past that could get them all the ball. As I said, I'm pulling for Davis. I've always liked him since he was Vick's #1 guy at VT.

Nice talking to ya, I'm out.

Barbarian
03-09-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
Holcomb is staying in cleveland as the backup to Garcia. Couch is an example of a player who wants more money than he's worth. (i.e. Fiedler). problem is, he has worse stats than Fiedler and Couch had a better core of receivers (even though we had Chambers, we had no one else). True couch never had a RB, but if you can't hit your receivers you are no better than Fiedler, who we already have, and who commands a lower salary than Couch.

Steer clear, i say.

:up: Agreed.

texasPHINSfan
03-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian


:up: Agreed.

holy crap you are agreeing with me on something???!!! :cool:

Barbarian
03-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by texasPHINSfan


holy crap you are agreeing with me on something???!!! :cool:

I agree with you on most of the things you have said, with the exception of how you want the team to go the Snyder route and oversend and hamstring us for the rest of free agency. :D

mbbransc
03-09-2004, 08:27 AM
You guys are crazy!! Couch is much better than anything we have throwing the ball - and we could probably get him discounted. I don't think we should get him now since we did the Feeley deal, but I'd MUCH rather have Couch than Feeley. Couch had good numbers on the road. Bad thing for him was the Browns fans hated him more than the opposing team. He got to the point where he rathered play on the road!! He just needs a change of scenery and he will be successful. At least he has MUCH more starting experience than Feeley!

mbbransc
03-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Duplicate

SMadison29
03-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Couch is consistent with his QB rating, I'll give him that. I'd like for him to be brought in to compete with Feeley but we all know Fiedler isn't going anywhere. Sucks too because Couch is only 27.