PDA

View Full Version : History of the 'F' word

Thundercracker
03-13-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/history.htm

contains profanity. :lol:

Agua
03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Interesting footnote in Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden". FU&K derives from the danish "Fokkus" which means "to strike". It's an expression of dominance. Male monkeys even mount OTHER male monkeys to show dominance (yes, pretty sick). Sagan relates "the bird", being thrown flippantly to an expression of dominance ("I f*(K you).

Anyway, just a non-joke etymological comment that I thought interesting.

poornate
03-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually the word F.U.C.K. was created by the church as an acronym for the phrase branded on people who had committed improprieties of a sexual manner. It is short for:
F-or
U-nlawful
C-arnal
K-nowledge.

poornate
03-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Anybody want to know where S.H.I.T. comes from? (origin of the word not an endless stream of poo jokes please)

Phin-o-rama
03-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by poornate
Actually the word F.U.C.K. was created by the church as an acronym for the phrase branded on people who had committed improprieties of a sexual manner. It is short for:
F-or
U-nlawful
C-arnal
K-nowledge.

i think its fornication under carnal knowledge or something

but ya your right....thats where it came from

poornate
03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
They would put people in stockades and write F.U.C.K. under it so others knew what they were being punished for.

Da 'Fins
03-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by poornate
They would put people in stockades and write F.U.C.K. under it so others knew what they were being punished for.

This is correct.

Regarding s-h-i-t, for a long-time, it was not at all considered a profanity. In fact, in many parts of the south, especially the Tidewater regions (VA, NC, SC), children were often referred to as "little ****s" - and it wasn't necessarily in a deraugatory sense.

In many cases, though not all - depending on one's religious background, what is regarded as profanity is really a cultural phenomenon.

poornate
03-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually s.h.i.t. stands for:
S-ship
H-high
I-in
T-transit

They used to carry manure on boats in olden times to use as fertilizer. It would sit in the hold of the boat for long periods of time and methane gas would fill up the boats hold. Some poor shmuck would go down with a lantern and BOOM!!! So when they figured out what was happening they started hanging signs on the flats of crap warning to ship it high while in transit, not in the hold to prevent the explosions. From there came the acronym and the name we all love and cherish today.....