PDA

View Full Version : "Breaking News" and Other Beefs

Muck
03-13-2004, 06:59 PM
I'll make this quick......

On behalf of every sane member of FinHeaven (and guests who view the board), I wanted to address this "Breaking News" rash that has gotten out of control.

When you type the words "BREAKING NEWS" in a thread title, you are grabbing people's attention and elevating their level of excitment/anticipation/fear/etc. And when people click on the thread, the last thing they want to read is some BS crap or a joke. You may think it's cute. But the other 99% think it's annoying. It also jeopordizes the credibility of this board and makes for a less enjoyable experience on the boards.

Well, I won't allow it to go on. If you post the words "Breaking News" in a thread title, it had damn well better be breaking news. Consider it an "executive order" of sorts......and a warning. We're all tired of it. And I'm done playing around.

Also, on another note........if you create a thread regarding a signed player or some other newsworthy or outrageous claim, please post a link to the information. Or at the very least, cite where you got the information from. It's all about credibility and accountability.

Again, this will not become a place where BS rumors fly. Obviously it's ok to report rumors that you've read and such. And this is an internet message board. But please, use some discretion. I'm simply addressing the blatant stuff.

Finally, I just want to drive home a point regarding the posting of articles. When you start a thread for the purpose of sharing an article with the board, please do not post the entire contents of that article. Instead, post a the first few lines.....or the relevant lines.....and then post a link to the rest of the article. This way we avoid copyright issues.

I feel that by following these simple guidlines, we can make for a more enjoyable browsing experience. And I want to say that, by and large, most of our members already follow these guidelines. And for that I'm grateful.

That is all. Thank you for your time.

PhinstiGator
03-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Thank you! :cool:

pvgolf32
03-13-2004, 07:05 PM
:yes:

finzfan4life
03-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks Muck!!!

phinsfan1221
03-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Right On thanks:cool:

Ct Fin Freak 13
03-13-2004, 07:16 PM
That was the worst breaking news I ever read.

Mile High Fin
03-13-2004, 07:17 PM
:patriot:
:gossip:

Mako
03-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Way to lay down the law Muck!

njfinfan
03-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Agree completely. Thanks Muck.

ajdoggie
03-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Great job Muck, thanks.

PhinPhreak
03-13-2004, 08:01 PM
OK well somebody has to say it "WHERE'S THE BEEF" :lol:

touborg
03-13-2004, 08:10 PM
BREAKING NEWS!:

That was much needed.

luduporcu
03-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Does MUCK own this site? I wasn't aware of that fact. If not, who is he to tell ANYONE ANYTHING? Free speech comes with a price, doesn't it, SCHMUCK?

When did GOD die and leave you in charge, anyway? (Now, someone would've reported THAT "breaking news" for sure)

Edit: Have fun. Muck

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

CUBANBADGUY
03-13-2004, 08:19 PM
:nono: :up:

PhinPhreak
03-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by luduporcu
Does MUCK own this site? I wasn't aware of that fact. If not, who is he to tell ANYONE ANYTHING? Free speech comes with a price, doesn't it, SCHMUCK?

When did GOD die and leave you in charge, anyway? (Now, someone would've reported THAT "breaking news" for sure)

:smackhead:

Everbody Duck.

Danny
03-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks muck. I agree that I start breathing a little faster everytime I see the breaking news thing up there and is good to take care of it before it gets out of control.

Ozzy rules!!

PhinBeck
03-13-2004, 08:25 PM
ahh read under his avatar newby, he is part of the Admin and has every right to do what he is. Another thing he has teh ability to do is ban morons.

Dolfan954
03-13-2004, 08:42 PM

When did GOD die and leave you in charge, anyway? (Now, someone would've reported THAT "breaking news" for sure) The next time you get pulled over by a police officer, just say whatever you feel like saying to him or her, and watch how fast your azz gets arrested. Yes, there's free speech, but there are always rules. With freedom comes responsibility. Responsibility not to mislead others with another BS BREAKING NEWS thread. :rolleyes:

IceStorm
03-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Just because someone has the power to do something, doesn't mean they have the 'right' to use it.

While I agree with what was said that this breaking news BS should stop, you could also say it should of never of come to this. That these type of threads should of been shot down long before it got to this level. In that instance, the moderators missed the boat.

But that is past us. Just as Muck has a right to say what he did, so does luduporcu (wth is that?). He has a right to state his opinion, whether you like it or not.

People like to think that a webmaster or moderator has the right to do whatever they think, without consequence. That freedom of speech does not exist on their website. Well, does anyone remember what the internet was founded for? The sharing of idea, the freedom of such that was restricted elsewhere. To condemn this ideology merely points to dictatorship.
Yes, we as guests should conduct ourselves accordingly. But just because we are guests does not take away our rights nor our minds, no matter how silly we may be.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security. When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.

Before you want to try and bash me, remember what I have stated...that I agree. I also believe it never should of gotten this far.

PhinstiGator
03-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhreak

:smackhead:

Everbody Duck.

Where is Terry Tate when you need him?

:mrt:

FinHeavenAJ
03-13-2004, 09:06 PM

How about this, I own this site and I gave Muck the "power" to do whatever he sees fit. Muck and I conversate quite frequently and we both agreed that something like this needed to be here.

So, before you start typing again... please keep the following in mind:

The TOS: http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1655

The Staff: http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showgroups.php

You will have some time to review those two pages as you most likely will be taking a short-term vacation. Have fun!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Muck
03-13-2004, 09:24 PM

No I do not own this site. But my friend does. And I have a vested interest in it, both monitary and otherwise. Like the rest of the staff, I willfully and gladly bust my *** here every day for free. And my word is the law. You don't like it?? Tough sh*t.

Free speech?? I got news for you buddy, this is a PRIVATE enterprise. Free speech doesn't apply here. Obviously, we aren't that tough. We are benevolent despots. But I find it humorous that you think you can do as you please here, or anywhere, without consequence. Good luck with that attitude in life.

"God" left me in charge the day he gave me Administrative authority over this site. And with that authority, I'm banning your lame *** from this site until further notice.

Good night!!

Dolfan954
03-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by IceStorm
Just because someone has the power to do something, doesn't mean they have the 'right' to use it.

While I agree with what was said that this breaking news BS should stop, you could also say it should of never of come to this. That these type of threads should of been shot down long before it got to this level. In that instance, the moderators missed the boat.

But that is past us. Just as Muck has a right to say what he did, so does luduporcu (wth is that?). He has a right to state his opinion, whether you like it or not.

People like to think that a webmaster or moderator has the right to do whatever they think, without consequence. That freedom of speech does not exist on their website. Well, does anyone remember what the internet was founded for? The sharing of idea, the freedom of such that was restricted elsewhere. To condemn this ideology merely points to dictatorship.
Yes, we as guests should conduct ourselves accordingly. But just because we are guests does not take away our rights nor our minds, no matter how silly we may be.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security. When liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered.

Before you want to try and bash me, remember what I have stated...that I agree. I also believe it never should of gotten this far.
First, I want to say that I respect your post, and I believe you do have some valid points. I'm not trying to attack you, but I respectfully disagree.

Admins and Mods have the right to regulate things. This isn't about having a "hard-on" for power, or dictatorship. It's nothing personal as some may think. It's things like this that cheapen the site, which, if it got out of hand, could lead to members going to other sites.

What I said earlier is valid. You can talk about free speech all you want, but try your free speech and become flippant with a police officer, and see how far that gets you. I'll say it again, with free speech comes responsibility

Lukin
03-13-2004, 09:31 PM
:sosad:

dolfan87
03-13-2004, 09:36 PM

Man you MUST be a lawyer.

saves
03-13-2004, 09:40 PM
:judge:

Dolphins17-0
03-13-2004, 09:46 PM
so, uh, what'd i miss? anymore breaking news?

SuavePhin
03-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Man this thread is better then Law and Order SVU :D :eat: :judge:

Trackstar
03-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Wherever you go in life, there will always be rules, laws, penalties, and enforcers to keep things under control and civilized. If you dont like it, just quietly leave. This is a major reason why many people believe this site is the best, because it is kept in order. Good job to all Mods on this site.

PhinKev
03-13-2004, 11:26 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. When I'm very busy I sometimes pop onto the boards to see if anything is happenning and sometimes it takes a lot of time to hunt through the threads to find something. It is very irritating to see "Player X to Dolphins" which turns out to be someone's opinion that Player X would be a good sigining.

It's not a disaster, and there is nothing wrong with an opinion, but I was thinking that it would be cool to have an update thread with a list of confirmed moves that we could just read, with someone from time to time editing the first post with the best stuff.

Not a perfect solution, but I thought I'd throw it out there to wiser heads than me.

Phinzone
03-13-2004, 11:29 PM
THANK YOU for posting this. i get tired of that crap "breaking news, i have jock itch". The real question is who gives a ****? It's rediculous, and I applaud the MODS and ADMINISTRATORS (those 2 words mean power within this board for those uneducated posters) for calling them out on this. Fact is, it wouldn't have needed to be done without bonehead posters.

xiidaen
03-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I think this is a very reasonable policy.

I see this as a matter of curtesy, not of 'free speech' -- obviously the owners and staff have the ability to set rules on this site and are on the whole very even-handed about enforcing those rules.

Keeping some sense of order and decorum on the site is a major reason for it's popularity and success. If you want to post a bogus 'breaking news' post perhaps the admins would allow you to take it to the smack forums, where different rules apply.

Freedom of speech is as much a responsibility as a right.

Muck
03-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by PhinKev
but I was thinking that it would be cool to have an update thread with a list of confirmed moves that we could just read, with someone from time to time editing the first post with the best stuff.

Here's a page that might help you. Updated daily. :)

http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/aquisitions.php

SMadison29
03-14-2004, 12:28 AM
I think Muck needs a little vacation too to think about what he's said. I mean all these asterisked words like ****, & ******, & ****, & ***********************, my lord I never knew there was such a word. My eyes can't take no more. He needs a vacation :lol:

DOLFANMIKE
03-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Muck

On behalf of every sane member of FinHeaven (and guests who view the board), I wanted to address this "Breaking News" rash that has gotten out of control.

When you type the words "BREAKING NEWS" in a thread title, you are grabbing people's attention and elevating their level of excitment/antcipation/fear/etc. And when people click on the thread, the last thing they want to read is some BS crap or a joke. You may think it's cute. But the other 99% think it's annoying. It also jeopordizes the credibility of this board and makes for a less enjoyable experience on the boards.

Well, I won't allow it to go on. If you post the words "Breaking News" in a thread title, it had damn well better be breaking news. Consider it an "executive order" of sorts......and a warning. We're all tired of it. And I'm done playing around.

Also, on another note........if you create a thread regarding a signed player or some other newsworthy or outrageous claim, please post a link to the information. Or at the very least, cite where you got the information from. It's all about credibility and accountability.

Again, this will not become a place where BS rumors fly. Obviously it's ok to report rumors that you've read and such. And this is an internet message board. But please, use some discretion. I'm simply addressing the blatant stuff.

Finally, I just want to drive home a point regarding the posting of articles. When you start a thread for the purpose of sharing an article with the board, please do not post the entire contents of that article. Instead, post a the first few lines.....or the relevant lines.....and then post a link to the rest of the article. This way we avoid copyright issues.

I feel that by following these simple guidlines, we can make for a more enjoyable browsing experience. And I want to say that, by and large, most of our members already follow these guidelines. And for that I'm grateful.

OUTSTANDING!
NEEDED TO BE SAID AND DONE!

Bl¡tz Inc
03-14-2004, 02:19 AM
:eat:

TerryTate
03-14-2004, 07:59 AM

You missed the point of this thread entirely, this has nothing to do with free speech or anything, its being appropriate, and having threads saying "BREAKING NEWS: (insert dumb comment here)" is not appropriate....

and yes, MUCK is the head honcho here (with respect to AJ the founder)...

PhinKev
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM

Here's a page that might help you. Updated daily. :)

http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/aquisitions.php

Learn something new everyday. :cool:

Let me add to this thread, that I have been here a while and I have gotten to know most of the moderators from our interaction on this board. I have never seen any of them do anything that hurt "free speech." I've even argued with some of them about Dolphin moves. But, it has always been above board and with respect on both sides.

Look, the bottom line is be honest in the title of your thread. If it is not breaking news don't call it breaking news.

Surferosa
03-14-2004, 10:56 AM
The only thing better than Muck busting in and laying down the law, is AJ coming to his side and putting the Executive Stamp on Muck's order.

I feel like justice has been served today. :troops:

And for those of you that cant learn to obey the simple rules that these guys have put together for the good of the site - well, grow up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

eltos_lightfoot
03-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Well done Muck

t2thejz
03-14-2004, 11:05 AM
:vault: this thread is too funny

Section126
03-14-2004, 01:16 PM
That is fine...everytime I post "Breaking News" It has been Breaking news.......(from fat Hank)

Hellion
03-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Section126
That is fine...everytime I post "Breaking News" It has been Breaking news.......(from fat Hank)

Tom Olividotti(sp) has nothing to do with the Dolphins anymore and after his stint as DC nobody cares about him, and you posted it as "BREAKING NEWS". that he was hired by another team.

Lets grow up a little ok. You did it as a joke, it wasn't funny, just because it comes from a credible source doesn't make it important or news worthy. :rolleyes:

Section126
03-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hellion

Tom Olividotti(sp) has nothing to do with the Dolphins anymore and after his stint as DC nobody cares about him, and you posted it as "BREAKING NEWS". that he was hired by another team.

Lets grow up a little ok. You did it as a joke, it wasn't funny, just because it comes from a credible source doesn't make it important or news worthy. :rolleyes:

I posted that inside a thread....not as a new thread....there is a difference.

DOLFANMIKE
03-14-2004, 03:10 PM

Why is it always some "under 10 post" newbie that wants to pop off, namecall, and rock the boat?

Adios ludi

DOLFANMIKE
03-14-2004, 03:14 PM

Not only was his post clearly "popping off" in the face of the original post, he also called Muck a name. Seems like generation X doesn't understand how to communicate without tearing down or insulting..

Disnardo
03-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Well done admins and AJ...

I'm kind of getting tired of seeing these threads and seeing that is really:

1- Nothing to do with the Finz...
2- It's old news and the poster did not look at other threads...
3- Another team's fan that has no links or facts to their statements. Just posting it to get his/hers rocks off in getting us Finz fans agitated...
4- Some poor newbie/vet that has not read TOS...

Besides all that, it kind of breaks the monotny of the continous threads... :)

BeatCrazy2
03-14-2004, 07:35 PM
I apologize for the stupid Breaking News thread I started a couple days ago.:hitself: :smackhead I was at work on three hours of sleep and obviously not thinking clearly. I even apologized in the thread because I KNEW it was dumb but still posted it.:smackhead But anyways, I won't be doing that again I promise.

FinsOnTop
03-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Can't we all just get along?

I would rather someone post a premature "Breaking News" then sit on some juicy info.

This is an internet message board correct? I doubt that any of our posts would be valid in a court of law.

But Mr. Tagliabue, the trade must be official because it said "Breaking News" on Finheaven.com's message board.

Once again my recommendation is that we lighten up and relax. It's all our different personalities that make this site great. If you make us all conform to a strict set of rules, every post will look the same.

Live free or die. Peace. Out.

Barbarian
03-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by BeatCrazy2
I apologize for the stupid Breaking News thread I started a couple days ago.:hitself: :smackhead I was at work on three hours of sleep and obviously not thinking clearly. I even apologized in the thread because I KNEW it was dumb but still posted it.:smackhead But anyways, I won't be doing that again I promise.

Thats okay man, your forgiven, just see Sister Mary Theresa on your way out for your punishment paddlings.
:cp:

PhinKev
03-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by FinsOnTop

I would rather someone post a premature "Breaking News" then sit on some juicy info.

This is an internet message board correct? I doubt that any of our posts would be valid in a court of law.

But Mr. Tagliabue, the trade must be official because it said "Breaking News" on Finheaven.com's message board.

Once again my recommendation is that we lighten up and relax. It's all our different personalities that make this site great. If you make us all conform to a strict set of rules, every post will look the same.

You can post anything you want and share anything you have. All I would appreciate, is that you do not call it breaking news.

You got a juicy story, just post it as a rumor. Save breaking news for breaking news.

Muck
03-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by FinsOnTop

I think I pretty much covered all of that in my first post. I even mentioned "internet message board". How many fingers am I holding up?? :tongue:

Are we overly strict on you?? I don't think so.

Did I say to not post a juicy story?? Negative.

All I'm saying is, don't post something as "BREAKING NEWS!!" if it's just some BS crap or a silly joke. Nobody wants to see that. And everybody was tired of it. Nobodys being oppressed or discriminated against. It ain't that deep. Like Kev said, save the breaking news for breaking news.

Again, it's all in the first post.

allred65
03-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Respect my Authoro-Tie!
-Cartman

ZOD
03-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Don't forget the always important.....

"Great news" thread title

followed by

"I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance." :rolleyes:

DrAstroZoom
03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Wow ... I miss all the good stuff. Well done, mods.

dolphan39
03-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Great job Muck

:hail:

hopefully people will listen...

and while I have your attention, please try to scan amongst the first (latest) 15 or so thread to see if something was already posted, before you click that New Thread button - thx :D

DeDolfan
03-15-2004, 12:42 PM

When you type the words "BREAKING NEWS" in a thread title, you are grabbing people's attention and elevating their level of excitment/anticipation/fear/etc. And when people click on the thread, the last thing they want to read is some BS crap or a joke. You may think it's cute. But the other 99% think it's annoying. It also jeopordizes the credibility of this board and makes for a less enjoyable experience on the boards.

:allhail:

;)

vt_dolfan
03-15-2004, 01:35 PM
As a rabid Red Sox Fan...I spent countless hours on Sons Of Sam Horn reading Breaking News about how we signed A Rod. Well..we know where that all went. Its good to see that that wont be tolerated here..cuz that just sucks. Anyways..Go Fins!!

dolphan39
03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by vt_dolfan
As a rabid Red Sox Fan...I spent countless hours on Sons Of Sam Horn reading Breaking News about how we signed A Rod. Well..we know where that all went. Its good to see that that wont be tolerated here..cuz that just sucks. Anyways..Go Fins!! :welcome: a-board vt_dolfan - even if you are a Sox fan ;) at least you like the right football team :friends:

DolphinzD
03-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Well done, Muck!! :clap:

finsfan4life
03-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Is it possible to stop people from posting in this thread so everytime I come to Finheaven I don't have to get excited about seeing the breaking news in the title?

Muck
03-15-2004, 02:55 PM
But that would mean putting a stop to all the compliments I'm getting on how great I am.....disallowing me to further inflate my ego. By leaving the thread open, you guys can continue to build me up so I don't have to brag about myself later to the chicks. :tongue: :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't think about that (visibility on the main page). :smackhead I'll close the thread now. Sorry about that.