PDA

View Full Version : okay everybody, defense is spelled with an S not a C

burghPhinFan
03-15-2004, 05:48 PM
sorry, it's been running rampant on here and had to put a stop to it.:D

touborg
03-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Actually defence is an accepted part of the british language.
www.dictionary.com

dolfan87
03-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Finally, someone said it.

Lukin
03-15-2004, 05:54 PM
I've wanted to say that forever but i didn't want to look like an a$$ :lol:

thanx :up:

themole
03-15-2004, 05:55 PM
:lol: Also teach em the difference between"THEN" and "THAN" .

SMadison29
03-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by themole
:lol: Also teach em the difference between"THEN" and "THAN" .

That one bugs the hell out of me more than anything, especially coming from people that you know went to college or are in college.

Another is a lot. It's two words, not one.

burghPhinFan
03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by touborg
Actually defence is an accepted part of the british language.
www.dictionary.com
okay ,well, how about American team, American rules? (I could have went low and dropped a WWII reference :D )

CUBANBADGUY
03-15-2004, 05:58 PM
hel yehs letts gett dis speeling proplem tekin kare off. dam et.

jbond
03-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Than or Then?

Than is a conjunction used with comparisons. It rhymes with pan.

Then is an adverb that refers to time. It rhymes with pen.

Examples: He likes you more than me.

First you take a cup of flour, and then you sift it.

Finfan80
The defence is part of the British language, where football is played with a soccer ball...too many durn ferners! :lol:
Actually think it's pretty cool we have so many guys from other countries on the board, rooting for the Fins...Touborg, I have lots of Danish friends but most of them are Vikings fans!

Dol-Fan Dupree
sports and spelling and grammar do not mix. Leave in in the classroom

burghPhinFan
03-15-2004, 06:01 PM
:eek: I've created a monster! sorry Mods!!!!!

touborg
03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
okay ,well, how about American team, American rules? (I could have went low and dropped a WWII reference )

Well geeez im sorry if people don't change the way they speak to please you, king of language.

grooves12
03-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by jbond
Than is a conjunction used with comparisons. It rhymes with pan.

Does anyone actually pronounce it that way?? Everyone I have ever heard pronounces it to sound the same as "then", and according to most dictionaries, both are acceptable.

Germandolfan
03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
I know that defence is british and defense is american. But when I watch some games, I see many fans holding up signs with a D and a fence? Apparently it's well known in America that you can write defence as well :)

Dolfan984
03-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Yuo are al bad spelers;

themole
03-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by SMadison29

That one bugs the hell out of me more than anything, especially coming from people that you know went to college or are in college.

Another is a lot. It's two words, not one.

LOL here's another one. "Noone" for no one. I know that space bar isn't that hard to hit.

Disnardo
03-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by burghPhinFan
:eek: I've created a monster! sorry Mods!!!!!

According to dictionary.com, which one is it?

monster

n 1: an imaginary creature usually having various human and animal parts 2: someone who is abnormally large [syn: giant, goliath, behemoth, colossus] 3: a person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed [syn: freak, monstrosity, lusus naturae] 4: a cruel wicked and inhuman person [syn: fiend, devil, demon, ogre] 5: (medicine) a grossly malformed and usually nonviable fetus

:jk:

Also...

defence

n 2: the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense" [syn: defense, defending team] [ant: offense]

themole
03-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by grooves12

Does anyone actually pronounce it that way?? Everyone I have ever heard pronounces it to sound the same as "then", and according to most dictionaries, both are acceptable.

Sorry Charlie. The words have two different meanings...that's why they spell them differently.:lol:

How's that:D

jbond
03-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Disnardo

According to dictionary.com, which one is it?

monster

n 1: an imaginary creature usually having various human and animal parts 2: someone who is abnormally large [syn: giant, goliath, behemoth, colossus] 3: a person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed [syn: freak, monstrosity, lusus naturae] 4: a cruel wicked and inhuman person [syn: fiend, devil, demon, ogre] 5: (medicine) a grossly malformed and usually nonviable fetus

:jk:

hmm......i'm not sure any apply to the conceptual context of an internet message board so my anwer is F) None of the above :)

Lukin
03-15-2004, 06:34 PM
The greatest thread ever!!!!!

TerryTate
03-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Dumbest thread ever, and im moving it so it can die, its too bad that many fin fans dont realize that the international miami dolphin community likely spells it "Defence" anyways...people shouldnt be so closed minded and only think the way we say or do things is the only way it is correct.

Omaha_Dolfan
03-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by themole

Sorry Charlie. The words have two different meanings...that why they spell them differently.:lol:

In the above sentence that should be either that is or that's.

Come on people, you want to start worrying about spelling and such on a message board? The off season is obviously longer THAN a noodle that is cooked and THEN stretched past its breaking point.

(Sorry Mole, couldnt help it)

Snickersbps
03-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Disnardo

defence

n 2: the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense" [syn: defense, defending team] [ant: offense]

now here's the funny part, while defining defence, they spell it defense in the sample sentence :lol:

themole
03-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by TerryTate
Dumbest thread ever, and im moving it so it can die, its too bad that many fin fans dont realize that the international miami dolphin community likely spells it "Defence" anyways...people shouldnt be so closed minded and only think the way we say or do things is the only way it is correct.

Well move it on out of here. Put a stake in its heart, kill it...but it's spelled with an "S".

themole
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Omaha_Dolfan

In the above sentence that should be either that is or that's.

Come on people, you want to start worrying about spelling and such on a message board? The off season is obviously longer THAN a noodle that is cooked and THEN stretched past its breaking point.

(Sorry Mole, couldnt help it)

:eek: Takes one to know one!:lol:

CUBANBADGUY
03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
I C U P

themole
03-15-2004, 07:00 PM
It...LIVES!!!:lol:

burghPhinFan
03-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TerryTate
Dumbest thread ever, and im moving it so it can die, its too bad that many fin fans dont realize that the international miami dolphin community likely spells it "Defence" anyways...people shouldnt be so closed minded and only think the way we say or do things is the only way it is correct. if I'm wrong, my bad, I'm not closed minded.
AND WATCH OUT UCF, HERE COME THE PANTHERS!!!!!!!

TerryTate
03-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Burgh dont even trash talk, u know we arent even supposed to have a chance....thats like taking candy away from a baby....

burghPhinFan
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
just playin' TT, what a coincidence you had that picture there. Too bad I couldn't post one of the Panther's winning the big east:cry:

MizRDub34
03-17-2004, 05:46 PM
cubanbadguy~~your hilarious....oops, I meant you're hilarious.

baccarat
03-17-2004, 07:59 PM
It's just a message forum, so spelling doesn't matter.

While on the subject, however, I do try my best to spell like the English when writing a formal paper or letter. Whenever possible, I spell words like "realize" as realise, "-ization" with -isation, "theater" with theatre and "color" with colour. Just me maybe but who knows better on writing English than the people who developed the language?