PDA

View Full Version : computer help please!

Ultfight
03-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Just a quick question for you tech savvy geniuses out there.. i recently have been having problems connecting to the internet from my com ( i am currently at my colleges com lab) it happened a few days ago, and it goes like this: I start my com, everything seems fine, and I go to connect to the net ( i am connected with an ethernet cord thats provided by my apt complex) and it either says in cannot find the server, or if it does connect, only allows me to stay on for a few seconds to a few minutes before failing to connect to the server again. I know it could possibly be the apt complex who has the problem, just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this before, as it could possibly be a virus??? Thanks in advance... BTW, i dont leave my computer on for long periods of time and have ZoneAlarm (dont know if thats any good or not) protecting from intrusions..

WharfRat
03-19-2004, 11:04 AM
ZoneAlarm is fine for a software firewall.
The first thing I'd check, to make sure that it's not your PC are the settings on the NIC. Depending on your operating system (Win2000/ME/XP) the default speed setting for your network card could be "auto". This sometimes causes connection problems with certain ISPs. Try changing the setting to "100Full" to force the connection speed, and not allow it to determine the speed itself. If you need instructions on how to do this, let me know what operating system you're running, and I'll give you a "step-by-step".
It may also be the cabling in the Apt complex, or even something with the server you are connecting to.

Dajesus
03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
If Oliver isn't right I am curious if you have XP. There are 2 worms that hit XP that do exactly what you are talking about. If you have XP do you do your windows' updates regularly? If you do have XP I would use another computer to go to symantec's webpage, and download the blaster worm fix tool and the welchia removal tool. Run both on your computer if they find either one then that is your problem.

Ultfight
03-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks again for all your help guys.. Yes I am currently on XP.. And the connections have worked fine for the last couple of months, right up until wednesday..And I do think I have been neglecting the windows updates.. :( I am off to download them now, and again thanks alot!!!!

Dajesus
03-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Ultfight
Thanks again for all your help guys.. Yes I am currently on XP.. And the connections have worked fine for the last couple of months, right up until wednesday..And I do think I have been neglecting the windows updates.. :( I am off to download them now, and again thanks alot!!!!

did you fix the problem?

Ultfight
03-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah just got the problem fixed today, it seemed i had that blaster worm on there, so thanks again for everyones input.. never realized how much it sucks when your com goes down for a few days!!