PDA

View Full Version : Attention Linux/Unix Gurus!

FinHeavenAJ
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Hello everyone,

If the subject title has you already asking yourself, "What is a linx/unix?" Then this message means nothing :lol:. However, if you instantly knew what I was talking about, and you have or had experience in the web hosting industry then can you please contact me via PM or email?

The reason? Well, I personally don't know anything about Linux/Unix optimization... especially through command lines. The hosting center tells me that they can do some of these "services," but at a rate of $50.00 per HALF HOUR... I simply cannot afford that, nor do I really see the reasoning since I'm sure things are pretty simple if you know what you're doing.

So, if you know your stuff about Linux/Unix and wouldn't mind answering a few questions... please contact me.

Thank you for your time and energy...

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Steve Mo
03-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I have someone that will PM you within the next couple of days.

EDIT: I Also know some html and a little php if you need help w/ that

Mindwarp
03-21-2004, 04:34 PM
my linux knowledge is basic..

DeDolfan
03-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I thought that Linux wuz that dirty little dude in with Charlie brown !!

:D :D

Amars
03-21-2004, 05:43 PM
thats linus

A&O
03-21-2004, 06:08 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Jimmy James
03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Amars
thats linus

Linus is the first name of the father of linux, so there is a connection.

P4E
03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Nope... that "dirty little dude" in Peanuts was Pigpen.

Glad I could finally help on a computer tech thread.:D

dolfan87
03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever

Yes, this is true, however, the above picture is a picture of Linus.

Take a look for yourself.

LINKY (http://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/index.html)

Clumpy
03-22-2004, 12:46 AM
I have no clue :(

P4E
03-22-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by dolfan87

Yes, this is true, however, the above picture is a picture of Linus.

Take a look for yourself.

LINKY (http://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/index.html)

Oh, I'm with you on that. The point is that the dirty little dude wasn't Linus., -- 'twas Pigpen. And Peppermint Patty had her moments, too.:)

wonderl33t
03-22-2004, 03:13 AM
I can write basic C++ programs in unix, as well as work with files and directories...

Al13
03-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I have no clue :(

we know that clumpy, if you had, you would be a dolphins fan....:lol:

DeDolfan
03-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever

Thanks, but at least someone got me "straightened" out.
Had the right 'yoon, tho, eh?? :lol:

Clumpy
03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Al13

we know that clumpy, if you had, you would be a dolphins fan....:lol:

:mad:

3P
03-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

:mad:

Hey Clumpy... check out my new sig!

:cool:

Al13
03-22-2004, 11:18 AM
:lol:

jbond
03-22-2004, 11:49 AM
unfortunately I don't work with linux much.......but if you need any help with firewalls/routers/networking/ or windows security that's what I do for a living. certified in Check Point (CCSE/CCSA), Cisco (CCNA/CCDA), Microsoft (MCSE) and hold my CISSP as well. Currently I'm contracted out to a government agency and soley responsible for their internet infrastructure that services about 500,000 in payroll so a lot of online applications. Anyways, if you need of those skills just drop me an email and I'd be glad to answer and questions, make recommendations or make up any diagrams etc. if your hosting needs should change.

Regards,
James

texasPHINSfan
03-22-2004, 01:58 PM
i am versed in unix.... what kind of "optimization" are they talking about. You need to be careful, there is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" stuff going on out there....

A&O
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
I know ActionScript (Macromedia Flash) and Lingo (Macromedia Director).

That's the extent of my object-oriented programming know-how. :rolleyes:

Clumpy
03-23-2004, 04:33 AM
You guys are so mean :(

Clumpy
03-23-2004, 04:34 AM
;)

texasPHINSfan
03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by A&O
I know ActionScript (Macromedia Flash) and Lingo (Macromedia Director).

That's the extent of my object-oriented programming know-how. :rolleyes:

i didn't realize that Actionscript and Lingo are Object-Oriented. I didn't realize that Macromedia even knew what Object-Oriented was! Is this true or are you being facetious? :D

wonderl33t
03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Maybe he's just throwing around the phrase "object oriented" to sound leet

texasPHINSfan
03-23-2004, 03:13 PM
lol, that must be what it is.

ZOD
03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

A&O
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, those language are OOP type- they have the same structure. I mean, if you know C++ you can easily write ActionScript and Lingo. Those languages are based on C++ which is (basically) OOP. Right?

I'm no expert. :rolleyes:

:topic:

Now back to Linux.

A Wing Pilot
03-23-2004, 11:48 PM
jbond you need your CCIE as well before i'll be impressed :P

jbond
03-24-2004, 02:48 PM
lol......was thinking of working towards it :) although I think I'd like to first work towards the CCSP for security as that's what I like more.

I'm actually in the process of potentially changing careers altogether.....to be a special agent in the FBI :lol:....seriously....I am though. Took the initial testing a year ago and passed but never followed through but cuz of my certs and experience in IT they kept calling me every couple of months (i turned down the NSA 2 yrs ago as well cuz I had just moved to New Orleans 2 months before...) and I decided in Dec. to go ahead and pursue it so I'm headed up to Kansas City (regional HQ office for the new orleans office) next week to do the written/oral interviews and then have to take the poly/drug/physical and wait on my background to clear.

I think I'll like getting out of IT and that would be a pretty cool job to have.... :)

on a side note, my brother graduated from ucf (as did i) and works as a private / jet pilot up there still. you flying up there for a job as well or just for fun?

LINGO? My wife watches that stupid game show on TV :lol: At least they got a new female host with, how should I say,....2 rather large and nice redeeming qualities :)

texasPHINSfan
03-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by A&O
Well, those language are OOP type- they have the same structure. I mean, if you know C++ you can easily write ActionScript and Lingo. Those languages are based on C++ which is (basically) OOP. Right?

kinda. C++ and other object-oriented programming languages are called object-oriented because in the programming you create classes, and then objects of those classes which reference those classes. It is a strictly text-based programming system.

ActionScript and Lingo..... i am not familiar with them, but the fact they are from macromedia brings doubt to my mind that they are object-oriented... and unless they are a programming language, they definitely aren't object-oriented.

are they programming languages?

texasPHINSfan
03-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jbond
I'm actually in the process of potentially changing careers altogether.....to be a special agent in the FBI :lol:....seriously....I am though. Took the initial testing a year ago and passed but never followed through but cuz of my certs and experience in IT they kept calling me every couple of months (i turned down the NSA 2 yrs ago as well cuz I had just moved to New Orleans 2 months before...) and I decided in Dec. to go ahead and pursue it so I'm headed up to Kansas City (regional HQ office for the new orleans office) next week to do the written/oral interviews and then have to take the poly/drug/physical and wait on my background to clear.

watch what you say about the NSA. Some people on these boards may currently work for them. ;)

jbond
03-26-2004, 01:56 PM
lol......i didn't say anything negative.....just that i turned them down for personal reasons although working in network security it would have been GREAT to have them on my resume. You didn't perhaps mean NASA...?

texasPHINSfan
03-26-2004, 07:33 PM
nah... i meant no such agency ;)

jbond
03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
well, as of a couple years ago they at least put a 'real' sign out in front of their building up at Ft. Meade.......they never acknowledged it until a few years ago although everyone knew where it was. They're a little paranoid over there, and deservedly so....

lereux
05-09-2004, 08:00 PM
AJ. I'm a computer engineer or at least I'm supposed to be. While I've haven't worked with Linux since my college days (abaout 2 years ago). I may be able to find some help. I know this thread is very old but I hae been unable to reply since you post it. For some reason can't reply if I'm not logged before presssing the reply button. I mean If I press the reply button and then I use the loggin feature I get a message saying that i haven't selected a board. Just thought I point that at to you while I"m at it.

drdolphin
05-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Maybe I'm too late. But I have been a Unix Administrator for over 10 years working primarily with Sun Microsystem's Solaris OS and RedHat Linux. I used to do a lot of Web stuff for Charles Schwab. If you still need assistance/advice whatever, let me know and I'll be glad to assist in any way I can.

-jim