PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles Anyone?

themole
03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Dropped by a Yamaha dealership last weekend just to kill some time. Fell in love with the Classic Cruisers. Considering the 650 V classic. Anyone have any experence with this bike. They come in 650cc 40 hp & 1100cc ??hp. I weigh 235lbs wondering if the 650 would perform ok for my size. Anyone?

inFINSible
03-24-2004, 08:11 AM
My little niece rides a 650.....she says she's going to move up to the 1100 when she turns 6....

themole
03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible
My little niece rides a 650.....she says she's going to move up to the 1100 when she turns 6....

:lol: I was afraid I would get that answer. Almost every 650 found on e-bay was the "wifes" bike. Reason for selling moving up to 1100 or HD.:lol:

03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
inFINS is funny and all, but in answer to your original question, 650 ccs are plenty to haul your a$$ around, if that is what you want. My first bike was a CB750f, and it was heavy but a screamer. I weighed around 200 at the time. Next thing I got was a Ninja 650, which was fast and dangerous as crap. After I hit some water at 60mph (wearing shorts - dumba$$) and slid across 6 lanes of opposing traffic, I decided to mellow out and get the Harley.

Much slower, but at least it sounds cool.

inFINSible
03-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by themole

:lol: I was afraid I would get that answer. Almost every 650 found on e-bay was the "wifes" bike. Reason for selling moving up to 1100 or HD.:lol: :D;)

ZOD
03-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Dropped by a Yamaha dealership last weekend just to kill some time. Fell in love with the Classic Cruisers. Considering the 650 V classic. Anyone have any experence with this bike. They come in 650cc 40 hp & 1100cc ??hp. I weigh 235lbs wondering if the 650 would perform ok for my size. Anyone?

I know a man about your age that bought a Harley a couple of years ago.

Two years ago on a ride through downtown Charleston a ladys bumper got in his way.

He's got a titanium arm now. ;)

inFINSible
03-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Kewl!

themole
03-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ZOD

I know a man about your age that bought a Harley a couple of years ago.

Two years ago on a ride through downtown Charleston a ladys bumper got in his way.

He's got a titanium arm now. ;)

Forgive me guys for not responding, my computer has been out for two days.

Zod....I can lay here on the couch and watch HDTV and die also! That's what I've been up to since I bought the big screen. NOW it's time to experience life...again, step out on the edge where the air is fresh and life is quick. I don't have a death wish but I'm not afraid of it either. I've owned motorcycles off and on since I was thirteen years old.

I need some excitement in my life. I don't cheat on my wife, I don't drink or smoke or smoke:D The first time I went golfing, I birdied, so I had to quit because it was only gonna get worse from there on. But thanks for the warning anyway.:D

themole
03-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 1972
inFINS is funny and all, but in answer to your original question, 650 ccs are plenty to haul your a$$ around, if that is what you want. My first bike was a CB750f, and it was heavy but a screamer. I weighed around 200 at the time. Next thing I got was a Ninja 650, which was fast and dangerous as crap. After I hit some water at 60mph (wearing shorts - dumba$$) and slid across 6 lanes of opposing traffic, I decided to mellow out and get the Harley.

Much slower, but at least it sounds cool.

Thanks for the advice 1972. I'm leaning toward the 1100. I've owned 4 Harleys and I prefer them but will let wisdom prevail and save the bucks.

ZOD
03-28-2004, 01:45 AM

Zod....I can lay here on the couch and watch HDTV and die also! That's what I've been up to since I bought the big screen. NOW it's time to experience life...again, step out on the edge where the air is fresh and life is quick. I don't have a death wish but I'm not afraid of it either. I've owned motorcycles off and on since I was thirteen years old.

I need some excitement in my life. I don't cheat on my wife, I don't drink or smoke or smoke:D The first time I went golfing, I birdied, so I had to quit because it was only gonna get worse from there on. But thanks for the warning anyway.:D

I always have little league.
Those little boogers are less expensive than the Harley. :D

I had "the fever" up until a couple of years ago. Along with that story I just told you I saw a guys fibula pertruding out of his skin on the Health and Science channel.

BTW..
Go out and get the wife and yourself drunk. She'll look different and talk different too! (http://65.24.81.11/sounds/movies/blazing/tongue_pr.mp3)

themole
03-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ZOD

I always have little league.
Those little boogers are less expensive than the Harley. :D

I had "the fever" up until a couple of years ago. Along with that story I just told you I saw a guys fibula pertruding out of his skin on the Health and Science channel.

BTW..
Go out and get the wife and yourself drunk. She'll look different and talk different too! (http://65.24.81.11/sounds/movies/blazing/tongue_pr.mp3)

You're a brave man Zod....I don't think I would put up with the "why isn't my little Freddie playing more?" My son was in Babe Ruth and Pop Warner, then both High School sports. I saw and heard a lot of interfering parents during those years. My philosophy would be to play to win, put the best players on the field and reward the hard work of all concerned with playing time. Most enjoyable times of my life was the little league days. It takes a special kind of person to coach kids and their parents and I wasn't one of them.:lol:

Hellion
03-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey mole, I been riding for 22 years now, 1st on a 125 Suzuki then a 250, when i was 16 I had a Yamaha 440 when I turned 22 I had 750 Honda.
I now have a Honda Shadow 1100, it's a very good cruiser. There are alot of Bike MBs out there, check them out, About.com has a very good MB for motorbike enthusiasts.

I'm eventually gonna get a Valkrie interstate so me and the wife can go on longer trips. Take your time and pick a bike that fits YOU.

P.S. I recomend buying a used bike 1st, something like a 600 or smaller. it will get you used to riding and it's better to dump a used bike than a brand new one, ( and you will dump it). then after you're used to riding get a new one. 235lbs a 650 is good but later you'll wanna move uo in CCs.

ZOD
03-28-2004, 02:30 PM

You're a brave man Zod....I don't think I would put up with the "why isn't my little Freddie playing more?" My son was in Babe Ruth and Pop Warner, then both High School sports. I saw and heard a lot of interfering parents during those years. My philosophy would be to play to win, put the best players on the field and reward the hard work of all concerned with playing time. Most enjoyable times of my life was the little league days. It takes a special kind of person to coach kids and their parents and I wasn't one of them.:lol:

I've never really had a problem with a parent. It could be my philosophy or either it could be just the luck of the draw.

In baseball I want the kids to hit. I really don't put much emphasis on pitching and most ALL kids want to pitch. At the beginning of each year I survey who has the most accurate arm in the infield and then they get moved to the mound. I want to hit and defend the ball. Nothing interests me about a 3-1 game.

Some umpires seem to get it and some don't. Right now I'm coaching 11 and 12 year olds. I detest the coach that puts a player up on the mound that can throw 65 miles and hour but can't throw a strike. Last year I saw one of those kids. I instructed my kids not to take a swing at anything that wasn't right down the middle. That along with a little prodding of the umpire between innings got that kid off the mound.

Moral of the story-If you throw hard they better be strikes. We have a couple of kids in the league that can but it's very few and I believe that when it truly matters (high school and beyond) they will no longer have an arm.

As for little Johnny that cannot play.....His opportunities are based upon his effort and attendance. I can hide him somewhere (right) on the field for a couple of innings.

The same applies for football.

I have no problem telling a parent that I play to win but if the effort and attendance is there little Johnny will get at least two innings.

The outfield changes on my teams at 45 minutes or after the 3rd inning (whichever comes first).

BTW...

In Little league football I hide them at the nose :D It always seems to be a cluster in the middle so no coach wants to run in there. I stack two of those little midgets on each side of the center :D

themole
03-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Hellion
Hey mole, I been riding for 22 years now, 1st on a 125 Suzuki then a 250, when i was 16 I had a Yamaha 440 when I turned 22 I had 750 Honda.
I now have a Honda Shadow 1100, it's a very good cruiser. There are alot of Bike MBs out there, check them out, About.com has a very good MB for motorbike enthusiasts.

I'm eventually gonna get a Valkrie interstate so me and the wife can go on longer trips. Take your time and pick a bike that fits YOU.

P.S. I recomend buying a used bike 1st, something like a 600 or smaller. it will get you used to riding and it's better to dump a used bike than a brand new one, ( and you will dump it). then after you're used to riding get a new one. 235lbs a 650 is good but later you'll wanna move uo in CCs.

Hellion, thanks for the link. I'm going with the 1100. Torque moves mass and I've found that to be a life saver in the past. I've owned 4 Harleys and 2 Hondas since I was 13 years old, the first was 1962 175cc HD Pacer, got it for Christmas of 62. Second was 64 HD Sprint H, then back to a 62 Sportster and finally an old 45 CI WWII bike.:lol: went for years not riding and when my son turned ten I put him on his first bike. A sweet little XL100 Honda and a 250 for me. We rode the woods til he was approaching sixteen, he started talking street bikes I got concerned and sold all of them. Now he's tweenty talking crusiers... I'm ready:D .

themole
03-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ZOD

I've never really had a problem with a parent. It could be my philosophy or either it could be just the luck of the draw.

In baseball I want the kids to hit. I really don't put much emphasis on pitching and most ALL kids want to pitch. At the beginning of each year I survey who has the most accurate arm in the infield and then they get moved to the mound. I want to hit and defend the ball. Nothing interests me about a 3-1 game.

Some umpires seem to get it and some don't. Right now I'm coaching 11 and 12 year olds. I detest the coach that puts a player up on the mound that can throw 65 miles and hour but can't throw a strike. Last year I saw one of those kids. I instructed my kids not to take a swing at anything that wasn't right down the middle. That along with a little prodding of the umpire between innings got that kid off the mound.

Moral of the story-If you throw hard they better be strikes. We have a couple of kids in the league that can but it's very few and I believe that when it truly matters (high school and beyond) they will no longer have an arm.

As for little Johnny that cannot play.....His opportunities are based upon his effort and attendance. I can hide him somewhere (right) on the field for a couple of innings.

The same applies for football.

I have no problem telling a parent that I play to win but if the effort and attendance is there little Johnny will get at least two innings.

The outfield changes on my teams at 45 minutes or after the 3rd inning (whichever comes first).

BTW...

In Little league football I hide them at the nose :D It always seems to be a cluster in the middle so no coach wants to run in there. I stack two of those little midgets on each side of the center :D

Talking about "Get It" I see that you really do. Most don't ,my hat's off to you.

My son pitched, wasn't overpowering but could get into the low 90s. Very accurate, he could camp just outside that lefthand corner and lend em hell.

Came home one afternoon after practice his junior year and said he was tired of it. I told him he had to finish what he started but if he didn't want to play his senior year it was up to him. He didn't play the next year. Walked on and made the team for the JC after HS, then decided he was really through and gave it up. Hurt ole Dad to see the potential wasted but he had been doing it since he was four.

themole
04-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Ok Guys...for those of you who are interested, after a couple of weeks of searching, I found a beautiful 2001 green and sand colored Yamaha V Star 650 cc Classic cruiser.

It's equipped with Cobra pipes, K&N air filters, sattlebags. A very nice bike! Took a 2 1/2 hour ride down to St. Cloud and picked it up wednesday nite.

I was concerned with engine size being it's a 650, but this thing is just fine. Plenty of power for me. Cruisees at 65-70 MPH with no effort. I'm very happy and "EXHILARATED"!

Seriously...I was becoming moody, feeling washed up, family raised... no more HS ball games with son involved. Some of you will understand what I'm trying to relate. All men go through this and all handle it in different ways.

I felt the need for a little danger to keep me on my toes. I must say :lol: cruiseing down the boulevard at fifty mph with 2 1/2 ton metal rhinos on either side of you is a RUSH! I find my old instincts returning, looking for trouble at EVERY intersection, keeping my head on a swivel.. riding defensively. I'm loving it!

Will post some pics later.

ZOD
04-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Congrats Mole!!

And to be honest I'm already fretting life without a youngster....

At age 33 the wife and I have contemplated the 7000 dollar operation to reverse what was "fixed"....:nono:

There goes my.....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

inFINSible
04-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ZOD
Congrats Mole!!

And to be honest I'm already fretting life without a youngster....

At age 33 the wife and I have contemplated the 7000 dollar operation to reverse what was "fixed"....:nono:

There goes my.....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif i just heard on the radio the other a day, a news report that said that even if you have the operation reversed, studies have shown that your count will always remain low.....just FYI......I mean, that is a nice boat....:D

ZOD
04-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Not me......

She's cut, tied, and burnt.

Dajesus
04-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Wow I agree with Mole for a change. I am saving up some cash for about a month at most 2, then I am buying a 650. From everyone i talked to they all say start with a 650 and you might live to see the 1100.

My friend Brian has had a bike since he turned 18. He is 36 now, and has suffered 7 accidents. He won't live to see 40, but it is MS that will take him not the bike. The crazy bastard has been through 2 of those accidents since he was diagnosed. Although I have no beleaf in heaven or someone else is pulling the strings on us, that has to make you think. You could get run over by a semi truck or a terminal illness just as easy as you can get killed in a motor cycle accident, so you might as well be happy and live your life with no fear. The second fear grabs ya you might as well be dead in my book. Then again I have no wife or kids or desire for either, and I also invented something called the face punch game in college, so what the hell do I know?

WharfRat
04-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Currently garaged, and partially dis-assembled :cry:

Never had the chance to get it on the road last year due to my surgery... hopefully, I'll have it back up and running for this season! :D

http://www.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/661wharfs_ride.jpg

themole
04-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat
Currently garaged, and partially dis-assembled :cry:

Never had the chance to get it on the road last year due to my surgery... hopefully, I'll have it back up and running for this season! :D

http://www.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/661wharfs_ride.jpg

Nice looking Sportster Wharf. What year is it? I had a 1962 xlch many many years ago.

I have my pictures in my documents, how do I get them over to the forum?

themole
04-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Dajesus
Wow I agree with Mole for a change. I am saving up some cash for about a month at most 2, then I am buying a 650. From everyone i talked to they all say start with a 650 and you might live to see the 1100.

My friend Brian has had a bike since he turned 18. He is 36 now, and has suffered 7 accidents. He won't live to see 40, but it is MS that will take him not the bike. The crazy bastard has been through 2 of those accidents since he was diagnosed. Although I have no beleaf in heaven or someone else is pulling the strings on us, that has to make you think. You could get run over by a semi truck or a terminal illness just as easy as you can get killed in a motor cycle accident, so you might as well be happy and live your life with no fear. The second fear grabs ya you might as well be dead in my book. Then again I have no wife or kids or desire for either, and I also invented something called the face punch game in college, so what the hell do I know?

If I'm not mistaken....I believe that's about three post in a row that we've had harmony.:lol:

ZOD
04-05-2004, 08:32 PM
HARMONY? (http://wavcentral.com/sounds/unknown/2741.mp3)

http://www.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/20sq-thekiss-take2-wi.jpg

Dajesus
04-05-2004, 11:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken....I believe that's about three post in a row that we've had harmony.:lol:

Well for christ sakes this isn't right. Now I have to think of something that will piss you off. This place just isn't as fun if I can argure with Molr durring the offseason.

themole
04-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Dajesus

Well for christ sakes this isn't right. Now I have to think of something that will piss you off. This place just isn't as fun if I can argure with Molr durring the offseason.

Well now... that's the spirit! :lol:

Anything left wing or anti american will have you in my cross hairs. Of course those violations will be determined by me and me alone .:evil:

ZOD
04-06-2004, 04:02 PM

Well now... that's the spirit! :lol:

Anything left wing or anti american will have you in my cross hairs. Of course those violations will be determined by me and me alone .:evil:

My new flag just went on the "new" house yesterday. :D

themole
04-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by ZOD

My new flag just went on the "new" house yesterday. :D

Me too Zod. Old Glory flies 24-7 - 365 days a year. I also fly a midnite blue with one white star for heritage sake.

themole
04-10-2004, 08:19 PM
WOW...Guys! I just returned from a 50 mi. circuit through the back roads of my county.

I will tell you, the V-Star Cruiser is one SWEEEET Bike! It will haul my big A$$ comfortably at 65-70 mph all day long.

Cruising at 50-55 through the curves and small hills of Nth rural Fl. was to say the least VERY invigorating. Taking in the fresh smells of spring, twisting on the throttle for power into the curves and rolling out. The V twin with open Cobra drag pipes really sings that throaty melody all motorheads love.

I'm extremely pleased at my decision to take up riding again. There will be a "ride in" held at Leesburg Fl. the weekend of 4/23-25, I expect to attend. It is about 70 miles south of Palatka, down SR.19 right through the middle of the Ocala National Forrest.

The scenery will be slightly hilly, with tall sand pine and scrub oak hammocks, falling from what the geologist call "Trail Ridge" down into the St. Johns River Basin.

The landscape is dotted with hundreds of lakes and three crystal clear streams or "Runs" as they are called here. Most of you have seen these "runs" in the old tarzan movies of the 50s & 60s. It will be a beautiful ride. Im looking forward to it.

Hellion
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the bike Mole, the weather where I live isn't quite warm enough to ride yet, but my Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit is ready to go. I got about two more weeks or so to go.

In about 3 more years I'll be looking to buy a Valkrie Interstate so I can haul the wife with me on long trips. I hope Honda starts manufacturing them again or I'll have to find a used one.

themole
04-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Hellion
Congrats on the bike Mole, the weather where I live isn't quite warm enough to ride yet, but my Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit is ready to go. I got about two more weeks or so to go.

In about 3 more years I'll be looking to buy a Valkrie Interstate so I can haul the wife with me on long trips. I hope Honda starts manufacturing them again or I'll have to find a used one.

Hellion, I know you must be anxious to get back in the saddle. It's been a long time since I hi- way rode a bike. The cruiser is a little longer and has a much greater turning radius than the Endro I last rode. I have a feel for it now, even drug the floorboards on a couple of tight curves today:D .

Hey, Valkrie Interstate! Now that's some sweet touring machine. Hope it's around for you when your ready bro. Until then keep your sunny side up on the Shadow, a nice ride in its own right.

Justasportsfan
04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
:D

themole
04-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Justasportsfan
:D

I guess she calls that running with the a/c on. Thanks justa...that was funny!

themole
04-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Well it's been six days since my last post to this thread. Took a fifty mile round trip ride today, getting a little more time in the saddle preparing for a one hundred forty mile round tripper to Leesburg Fl. Bikeweek, the weekend of 4/23.

Weather was really nice this morning traveling through the Nth end of the Ocala, National forrest. I saw a few wild turkeys and deer and felt so exhilarated on the ride with the wind in my face, cruiseing @ 55-65 mph and nary a cloud in the sky.

No fatigue on the ride. This V-Star Cruiser is one sweet bike, I will be making a few modifications before I make a longer trip though. I will be extending the floorboards four inches, at 6'1", I need to stretch my legs a little more, plus I'll add the upper foot pegs for the same reason.

Anyone care to share some of your riding experiences and places you have visited.

jbond
04-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I picked up a 2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 a year ago (almost exactly..4-23). Had an FZR600 back in '93. Bought that as my 19th bday present to myself and ended up selling it. Now 10 years later, married 5...it took a bit for the wife to understand and agree to let me get another :) Fun to own and ride.

The 2 most important things to remember:

1) ALWAYS give yourself room to maneuver. That is your lifeline. Pick an imaginery spot while following a car and try to avoid it....if you can't you're too close and will be killed one day. That's pretty simple.

2) Never ride outside of your limit....regardless of who you're riding with (if anyone at all). If you push your luck too much....again...your friends and family will last be seeing you at your viewing.

Not trying to be morbid....but if people would follow those 2 things, most motorcycle accidents wouldn't happen.

themole
04-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I picked up a 2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 a year ago (almost exactly..4-23). Had an FZR600 back in '93. Bought that as my 19th bday present to myself and ended up selling it. Now 10 years later, married 5...it took a bit for the wife to understand and agree to let me get another :) Fun to own and ride.

The 2 most important things to remember:

1) ALWAYS give yourself room to maneuver. That is your lifeline. Pick an imaginery spot while following a car and try to avoid it....if you can't you're too close and will be killed one day. That's pretty simple.

2) Never ride outside of your limit....regardless of who you're riding with (if anyone at all). If you push your luck too much....again...your friends and family will last be seeing you at your viewing.

Not trying to be morbid....but if people would follow those 2 things, most motorcycle accidents wouldn't happen.

Thanks jbond, and I totally agree with you on those two pointers. I've owned and ridden MCs for over 40 years now but up to 3 weeks ago it's been dirt bikes and not that for 5 years. I bought the cruiser for just that, lumbering around on the back roads, kinda like an old DC-3 does in the air. When I'm out and about on the bike I'm constantly looking for "rattlesnakes" but of course it's always the ones that you don't see that nails ya. :lol:

jbond
04-23-2004, 05:35 PM
justa, i like these 'women w/bikes' better :)