PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed

Dajesus
03-29-2004, 01:32 AM
I installed service pack 2 for XP, and it changed my theme. I tried to change back to a custom theme I made, but instead it chose one with all black text. Now when I go in to any menu i can't read anything because it is black text on a black backround. I tried to restore my computer to an earlier date, and it won't. I tried to deleat the theme in safe mode, but that did no good. Does anyone have an idea besides a restore.

Chambers34Phins
03-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Can you see it highlighting things and you just can't read it?

Becuase I'm sure I can just tell you how many times to hit up, and when to hit enter and so forth, so that you can just chjange to a different theme where you can read.

Muck
03-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Wow. Haven't seen that one yet. I'll ask my boss when I get to work today. I did a quick search but only found something regarding High Contrast mode in IE.

One thing I did learn just the other day regarding themes. I had been fighting like mad trying to get my non-native themes to stick with SP1 for about the past two months or so. I'd never had a problem before in over 2 years. But for some reason, my themes kept disappearing (not able to select them) in in Appearence--->Display properties. And if I did somehow apply them, it would just roll back upon restart, wiping out even my sound changes. I was going nuts.

Then I found out that SP1 contains (or alters) a DLL file that prohibits the use of third party themes. I got a little program to alter it, and WHA LA!! Everything's copasetic. No more Muck going insane. No more starving children in Africa. WooHoo!!

Dajesus
03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I can use internet explorer becuae obviously web pages don't have a black back round. I tried to just right click in my desktop, i can get as far as properites just by knowing where it is, but I clicked every where, and can't get the drop down menu to show up in black to change the theme.

Muck there is a windows update that will actully let you use 3rd party or your own themes. It won't show up when you scan for updates, but if you look for it on google you can find it.

Chambers34Phins
03-29-2004, 11:46 AM
IF you can get to properties, your already on the right screen, just hit down on your keypad, and it will change the theme, and then hit down 2 times to change to the xp theme then hit tab 4 times to get to apply and then hit enter.

Dajesus
03-30-2004, 03:31 AM
Tried and it would't work. I think it had something to do with service pack 2. Don't ever download this!!! It displays a horrible security icon with a balloon upon start up that won't go away. Slows start up, and adds about 4 new processes. Even when this isn't a beta version I will not download it. The only people that should ever download this is people that have no idea what they are doing with computers because it does add security.

My resolution was a fun way to waste time. I broke my thumb playing basketball today, so I finally installed a 20gig 7200rpm 8mb cache HD that I picked up just because I was amazed I could find one. I unplugged the other 4 hard drives while I did a fresh install of XP pro, and have spent all night reloading programs. While weeding out garbage on the other drives. It made me forget about the pain well that and the 3 perkasets I took, and actully made my computer faster. Apparently the smaller the drive you have your OS installed on the quicker the boot sequence goes. I have noticed it from originally having my OS on a 120, then a 40, and now a 20. It got quicker ever time. Oh man I am such a nerd.

Muck
03-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Get a little 10K RPM Raptor and make it your boot/OS drive. WEEEEEE!!

Dajesus
03-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Then I would have six hard drives that would be just getting out of controll. I have a compulsive disorder of buying new parts for my computer when it really isn't necasary. Like right now I am seriously thinking about buying the 64 bit AMD 3200+ barton with the ASUS motherboard to support it. 400 dollars just to see what the 64 bit chip can do. I need help.

Muck
03-31-2004, 02:49 AM
No, you need to get laid off. Cure that illness real quick. :tongue: :cry:

Clumpy
03-31-2004, 03:04 AM
I hate computer nerd talk :mad:

Dajesus
04-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I hate computer nerd talk :mad:

Well you should take mega byte out of hard drive.