PDA

View Full Version : I got a virus somehow

WeVie
03-29-2004, 10:37 PM
So when I start my computer I get this. Cannot find C:\Windows\System32\System32.exe
I found this (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833767 ) but the keys it is talking about I cannot find. Help me please!!!! I followed the directions but like I said I can't find those keys.

FIN-IN-RI
03-30-2004, 04:37 PM
time to format..

Dajesus
03-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by WeVie
So when I start my computer I get this. Cannot find C:\Windows\System32\System32.exe
I found this (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833767 ) but the keys it is talking about I cannot find. Help me please!!!! I followed the directions but like I said I can't find those keys.

That isn't a virus. Maybee a virus removal removed that file. I would first hit run in the start menu and type msconfig. Hit the last tab on the make the command colum bigger so you can see the whole line. If one had system32.exe on check the box. If that doesn't work put in your windows XP disk, but when it asks you what you want to do choose repair current OS. That way it will replace the file, but you can keep all of your info.

WeVie
03-30-2004, 10:23 PM
It was a virus. This issue occurs because of an incomplete removal of the W32.KWBot.C.Worm virus from your computer. I don't follow you with msconfig. All there is is the startup, services, Boot.ini, win.ini, system.ini, and gereral.

Also I don't have a Windows XP disk. I bought a bundled computer and XP was preinstalled. I do have system restore but I don't want to add all of that crap that they try to get you to buy back on the computer.

Dajesus
03-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by WeVie
It was a virus. This issue occurs because of an incomplete removal of the W32.KWBot.C.Worm virus from your computer. I don't follow you with msconfig. All there is is the startup, services, Boot.ini, win.ini, system.ini, and gereral.

Also I don't have a Windows XP disk. I bought a bundled computer and XP was preinstalled. I do have system restore but I don't want to add all of that crap that they try to get you to buy back on the computer.

If it is an exe it will probably be under command in the start up menu. Uncheck the box if it is listed. If that doesn't work PM me with your address, and I can send you a copy of XP PRO with a key generator.

WeVie
04-01-2004, 10:44 PM
I still don't really follow you. I do know where my start up menu is and I checked it but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I have XP Home now but Pro would be good too.

The link I posted is the problem I had. Norton found the virus and I deleted it but when I went in to edit my registry the keys it talks out are not there.