PDA

View Full Version : So Long and thanks for all the fish



GazPhin
05-08-2002, 05:02 PM
The late Douglas Adams, author of the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe", had the most appropriate words of farewell. As the dolphins left the planet, shortly before Earth was demolished to make way for a hyper space bypass, a final performance if only it could be translated by the human spectators should have be understood as "So long and thanks for all the fish".

The board has given me much. Opportunities for sharing views and debate on my obsessive fanaticism for the Fins. Web references for many resources on Football news and analysis. Good companionship. :cool:

In spite of the efforts of the moderators of this site, finding those experiences of old is now rather less joyful and more pointless that extracting peanuts from elephant excrement. The juvenile jills fans (rather than those more mature and respected adversaries) have killed a good friend. Like a favourite drinking establishment that has suddenly started being frequented by Al Quaida storm troopers, the watering hole has gone sour.

I'll miss some of you Dolphin fans, and owe you thanks, particularly 87, 06, 39, ICE, and of course AJ. I bid you adieu and hope that one day it finds again it's vibrant spirit, cameraderie, informed comment and good spirited debate. As Spok says, "Live long and prosper Dolphans". I'll raise a glass to you all when we win in San Diego. Go Fins. :happydrin
:(

dolphan39
05-08-2002, 05:20 PM
GazPhin,

You will be missed. I hope you will reconsider or at least check back periodically to see how its going. This current invasion will subside, particularly when there is lots of team-specific stuff to talk about.

Sincerely,
Dave/39

dolfan87
05-08-2002, 08:01 PM
I really wish you would stay Gaz, this too will pass, and we are going to make drastic changes if this is the norm around here.

I know this board is smaller in comparison to the BBI, and we are not even through our first year of life, but it is about the Miami Dolphins and their fans first and foremost.

We are respectfully asking the Bills fans to leave, and if they don't then we will simply begin banning them.

It's fine to have a few visitors, but when they plan invasions, it really becomes a problem. These are our boards, and we will take them back.

please stay

87

VanDolPhan
05-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by dolfan87
I know this board is smaller in comparison to the BBI, and we are not even through our first year of life, but it is about the Miami Dolphins and their fans first and foremost.

We are respectfully asking the Bills fans to leave, and if they don't then we will simply begin banning them.

Too little too late. A week later and they totally own these forums and turned these forums into trash. I'm pretty much gone too until you guys can get a handle on your boards.

GazPhin
05-09-2002, 07:59 AM
..and I like being here. I respect the efforts you're making to restore order and I'll keep a watching brief to see how successful it proves.:D


(Note: edited to correct the spelling for the benefit of those who feel that more attention to detail should be given posting on MB's.:lol: :lol: :lol: )

FinHeavenAJ
05-09-2002, 02:20 PM
:rocker: :band:

Glad to hear it man! I told you things will clean up within no time :cool:

phins054
05-09-2002, 07:10 PM
Gaz...VanDol...

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!:yell: :yell: :yell:

You let 3 or 4 days of Bored Bills fan posts drive you away????

Brothers...yous gots to rise up above the stupidity...If you can't realize that they are bored and have nothing better to do and will probably STOP coming here (at least until we come close to playing them)...And after we BEAT them...You won't be hearing from them at all...then maybe this isn't the MB for you afterall:fire: :fire: :fire:

billsfanone
05-09-2002, 08:05 PM
ROFLMAO

How come this guy doesn't get the goodbye wishes I received?

bigbry
05-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Gaz, Ive got a question. I know U have been posting here since Feb '02. But do you have any other M-Board experience? The reason I'm asking is quite simple, EVERY board I've gone to goes thru this from time to time. Rival fans fly in, have their fun, and before U know it their gone, IMHO, not a big deal. The Admins. always come in and do their job and all is serious again. This is just the off-season.


BB

Jaydog57
05-09-2002, 09:16 PM
Dude, if you leave the board, that's like Sam Houston leavin the Alamo. That ain't teamwork. Things will get better, wait till September.:cool: :rocker: :cool: :rocker: :cool: :rocker:

Tatonka
05-09-2002, 09:55 PM
lol... fins fans.. if he peaces out like that, then he is not a real fan... defend your ground mate... ice and others have been at bbi.com plenty to stir up crap... it happens.. take it with a grain of salt... i knew the phins had no sac, seems their fans are fairweather too...

if he is not with you... then he is against you =)

Tatonka
05-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by GazPhin
..and I like being hear.

hear? here? there? where? rofl

fthefish11
05-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Nice fans! You guys are a joke!

VanDolPhan
05-10-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by fthefish11
Nice fans! You guys are a joke!

My 'fandom' is being questioned because I won't put up with little turds like you?

Sorry but I have no respect for the moderators/admin of this site that can't control a measly small group of prepubescent Bills fans ruining the atmosphere of this board.

As a moderator of 2 boards that are bigger then both BBI and these forums put together this crap would never have lasted more then a day.

I've dealt with invasions from forums as big as TribalWars (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/) that didn't last more then 2 days once we were done with them.

The simple fact is the mods/admins have done more talk then action. Simply give them a warning and if they ignore, toss them.

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by bigbry
Gaz, Ive got a question. I know U have been posting here since Feb '02. But do you have any other M-Board experience? The reason I'm asking is quite simple, EVERY board I've gone to goes thru this from time to time. Rival fans fly in, have their fun, and before U know it their gone, IMHO, not a big deal. The Admins. always come in and do their job and all is serious again. This is just the off-season.


BB

Maybe so Bigbry, but I don't have time to waste reading smack and uninformed, unintelligent posts. Frankly the juvenile posting and provoking isn't limited to Bills interlopers but the ambiance of the board has changed.

It is my first message board and it used to be a good experience. But rather like Moe's bar in the Simpsons, during the "prohibition" episode - when the booze runs out so do the punters.:lol:

I have to say some of it is also probably because there's a lull in news at the moment and that situation will improve as the season draws near.

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by fthefish11
Nice fans! You guys are a joke!

season ticket holders who don't frequent the MB are also not real fans dude.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka


hear? here? there? where? rofl

I've read your posts Tatonka. Laughing at other people's spelling and grammar isn't a place you should even visit for a vacation dude.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

inFINSible
05-10-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm sorry but.....
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

WEAK!

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible
I'm sorry but.....
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

WEAK!

"Mods, if you don't get rid of all these Fiedler haters.....I'm leaving." - Strong, very strong. Prticularly admirable "irony".

OMG I've started doing the very thing of which I was critical - time not to bang my a$$ as the door shuts behind me.

inFINSible
05-10-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by GazPhin


"Mods, if you don't get rid of all these Fiedler haters.....I'm leaving." - Strong, very strong. Prticularly admirable "irony".

OMG I've started doing the very thing of which I was critical - time not to bang my a$$ as the door shuts behind me.

Gaz,..really,... could you not see the sarcasm? Come on.

I even put the :rolleyes: for the slower members out there...

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 08:27 AM
...do I really want to become a teenage jills fan?:lol:

inFINSible
05-10-2002, 08:38 AM
You are not going anywhere now, are you? They seem to be being respectful of the rules, keeping the smack in the smack forum. So you are going to stick around right?

GazPhin
05-10-2002, 09:40 AM
...I'm a finheaven junkie:lol:


Last thing I wanted was for it to go down the
:toliet:

inFINSible
05-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GazPhin
...I'm a finheaven junkie:lol:


Last thing I wanted was for it to go down the
:toliet:

understandable.....just remember it was one of yours who said, " We will never give up, we will never surrender....."

lordofgun
05-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan


My 'fandom' is being questioned because I won't put up with little turds like you?

Sorry but I have no respect for the moderators/admin of this site that can't control a measly small group of prepubescent Bills fans ruining the atmosphere of this board.

As a moderator of 2 boards that are bigger then both BBI and these forums put together this crap would never have lasted more then a day.

I've dealt with invasions from forums as big as TribalWars (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/) that didn't last more then 2 days once we were done with them.

The simple fact is the mods/admins have done more talk then action. Simply give them a warning and if they ignore, toss them.

You can't just toss someone. it's not that easy. there are many ways to get around a "ban." you should know that if you're a mod at any forum.

VanDolPhan
05-10-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun


You can't just toss someone. it's not that easy. there are many ways to get around a "ban." you should know that if you're a mod at any forum.

Actually it is that simple with VBforums. VBforums has a nifty IP logging and IP check against the forum user base. Combine that with any IP tracker to verify and a little grunt work and it's not hard to figure out whose who and contact a ban evaders ISP.


Although the Bills fans have nothing on those tribalwar guys. They are nasty. They'll flood your forums with highly graphic porn pics and abuse various parts of a forum that makes high use of your servers processor slowing things to a crawl.

I just enjoyed this forum because it was always civil which was a nice change from the herald and the old former ESPN insider forums before they became ESPN insider.

bigbry
05-10-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by GazPhin
...do I really want to become a teenage jills fan?:lol:


Ha Ha Ha Ha , there ya go Gaz. Good natured smack back at ya stuff. Not bad for a rookie:) ;)


BB

lordofgun
05-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by VanDolPhan


Actually it is that simple with VBforums. VBforums has a nifty IP logging and IP check against the forum user base. Combine that with any IP tracker to verify and a little grunt work and it's not hard to figure out whose who and contact a ban evaders ISP.


Although the Bills fans have nothing on those tribalwar guys. They are nasty. They'll flood your forums with highly graphic porn pics and abuse various parts of a forum that makes high use of your servers processor slowing things to a crawl.

I just enjoyed this forum because it was always civil which was a nice change from the herald and the old former ESPN insider forums before they became ESPN insider.

ever hear of anonymizers and dynamic ips?

lordofgun
05-10-2002, 09:19 PM
and believe me, I know ALL about vbulletin options. I run a VBull board at a rival site. I'm not saying which one though. :D

FinHeavenAJ
05-10-2002, 11:02 PM
There is no true way to ban someone. First, if they are on AOL... if you ban their IP, chances are that you are banning another thousand people.... because they all use the same IP at one point or another.

The best way, IMO, is to tell vB to check for a REAL address, and not to allow the people enter a password. Thus, a person must create a new email every time they wish to set up a user name. If they are that interested into screwing with your board, they can come back any time they want. However, most people will just give up.

So.... lordofgun is correct, there is no way to block a person.

lordofgun
05-10-2002, 11:48 PM
I hate AOL.

FinHeavenAJ
05-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I hate AOL.

Same here! Banning aside, AOL sucks all in all.

bigbry
05-11-2002, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
[B]There is no true way to ban someone. First, if they are on AOL... if you ban their IP, chances are that you are banning another thousand people.... because they all use the same IP at one point or another.

Earthlink and a few other providers also use that rotating ISP adddress thing. I found that out the other day when I was having my PC scanned for security risks and such. I was told they could actually be scanning someone elses PC, if I was using those providers. Im such a PC idiot, I had no idea.


BB

VanDolPhan
05-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Tell that to the 24 AOL users who had to explain to mom and dad why their AOL accounts were being closed on them for TOS breaches :lol:

Vbulletin doesn't provide all the options but it gives you enough to work with a few other programs to get enough information for such.

Although I've been known to restrict half of New York for a few hours to make that one person think they were banned lol.

When TribalWars attacked us we had to go as far as turning off the search engine (uses a lot of CPU cycles and can slow down the forums to a crawl), Restrict posting to once every 5 minutes, disable new signups. They be one group of boys you don't want to mess around with :evil:

miadphan13
05-11-2002, 03:13 AM
GazPhin, I hope you don't leave. We all want to share in the joy of the birth of your child. Dolphins13Fan should be celebrating the birth of his daughter anyday now. :)

VanDolPhan, I almost gave up on this site back in January because the Bills fans were a$$es, but I have risen above it. Our rival Jets fans do not act this way, so whatever. If you decide to go, we will miss you. :)

GazPhin
05-11-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by miadphan13
GazPhin, I hope you don't leave. We all want to share in the joy of the birth of your child. Dolphins13Fan should be celebrating the birth of his daughter anyday now. :)


The little boy is due within a week. Shame I can't share the Bollinger RD with you all aswell. Also good news, found a house that the Missus and I like so we're on the move too.:D

FinHeavenAJ
05-11-2002, 08:32 AM
GREAT NEWS!

I hope the best for you and your family. You're gonna have to tell us all about the baby. And of course, you're gonna have to post a picture... LOL.

Talk to ya later, and hope everything goes good!

GazPhin
05-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
GREAT NEWS!
you're gonna have to post a picture... LOL.


I might have to wait until he fits snugly into his ZT54 Acqua shirt (though the size of our lady of the lump it might be as soon as he's been cleaned up)!!

Justasportsfan
05-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Gazphin,

If your child ( and I hope God blesses you with a healthy one) turns out to be a Bills fan, would you move out?:D

VanDolPhan
05-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by justafan
Gazphin,

If your child ( and I hope God blesses you with a healthy one) turns out to be a Bills fan, would you move out?:D

I'd send him to live with my relative Bills fans. No Bills fans under my roof damnit :lol:

Mako
05-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by miadphan13
GazPhin, I hope you don't leave. We all want to share in the joy of the birth of your child. Dolphins13Fan should be celebrating the birth of his daughter anyday now. :)

VanDolPhan, I almost gave up on this site back in January because the Bills fans were a$$es, but I have risen above it. Our rival Jets fans do not act this way, so whatever. If you decide to go, we will miss you. :)


Wow I thought my name faded to the background. I've been so busy lately with the baby coming and work/schoolwork, I've had little time to post anything. Glad ya kept me in mind though.

GazPhin
05-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by justafan
Gazphin,

If your child ( and I hope God blesses you with a healthy one) turns out to be a Bills fan, would you move out?:D

My father-in-law decided he preferred the Packers but we're still on good enough terms. Let's face it, if a family can go to war over it's choice of football team, what chance has the Earth's inhabitants in general!:lol:

BigDoug
05-11-2002, 11:48 PM
What a *****!

lordofgun
05-12-2002, 01:07 AM
AJ,

you gotta get that hack where members post, but they're the only ones who can see their own post, so in effect they're banned, but they don't know it. :D

BigDoug has no idea. That's why no one ever responds to his posts! :D ;)

BigDoug
05-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Doh! (_8(i)

FinHeavenAJ
05-12-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
AJ,

you gotta get that hack where members post, but they're the only ones who can see their own post, so in effect they're banned, but they don't know it. :D

BigDoug has no idea. That's why no one ever responds to his posts! :D ;)

I never heard of that hack, do you know what its called?

Thanks for the tip ;)