PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help!

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey everyone!!!

Okay so i really need help. I have to do a paper here at school (the one and only Univ. of Miami ;)) about a player of any sport who's career was changed positively or negatively by a HUGE loss. Can anyone give me some ideas please?!

:missmeth:

PhillyDolfan
04-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Scott Norwood :billsbite

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Okay your going to think im dumb but i dont know him. :splat:

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 08:48 AM
wait thats the guy that missed that kick right?!

Clumpy
04-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by PhillyDolfan
Scott Norwood :billsbite

I would concur

He's the :cry: Bills' kicker :cry: who missed :cry: the FG :cry: at the end of :cry: SBXXV :cry::cry:

PhillyDolfan
04-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Yup.... Wide right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA

Clumpy
04-08-2004, 09:11 AM
:mad:

Dolfan954
04-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

I would concur

He's the :cry: Bills' kicker :cry: who missed :cry: the FG :cry: at the end of :cry: SBXXV :cry::cry:
All those times you guys broke our hearts in the early 90s...you deserve it...especially that '92 AFC Championship game. :cry: Painful childhood memories...with my friend (a Bills fan) laughing in my face the whole game. :cry:

I will say though, it's unfair that the Bills will always get knocked for the 4 SB losses. They only had a chance against the Giants. No one from the AFC was going to beat those two Cowboys teams or the Redskins with Mark Rypein (sp?), Gary Clark, and those other talented receivers.

Wait a minute. I hate the Bills...why should I care, right? :tongue:

Justasportsfan
04-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Rocky Balboa :D

By "loss" do you mean personal life or game?

Game/fight. Mike Tyson losing to Buster Douglas. He never was the same again.

Huge loss in personal life . Michael Jordan. Father died and he quit. He did however use that to come back and win the title again.

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone!!! I think ill go with Scott Norwood. But did he play again after that? OR did he suck from then on?

phinman1
04-08-2004, 09:35 AM
How about Moore, the pitcher for the Angels who killed himself after he gave up a game winning homer to the Red Sox in the 86 playoffs?

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 09:43 AM
wow i didnt know that!! that defintely changed his life... what is his full name?

DrAstroZoom
04-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Donnie Moore was the Angels closer.

Dolfan954
Originally posted by MissMeth
Thanks everyone!!! I think ill go with Scott Norwood. But did he play again after that? OR did he suck from then on?
He never came back.

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/nfl/articles/article138.shtml

Justasportsfan
Originally posted by MissMeth
Thanks everyone!!! I think ill go with Scott Norwood. But did he play again after that? OR did he suck from then on? nope, he was made the scapegoat. Cut and became a car salesman after that. He did get tons of complains b/c he sold a lot of cars that tends to bear right.

Dolfan954
04-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Justasportsfan
nope, he was made the scapegoat. Cut and became a car salesman after that. He did get tons of complains b/c he sold a lot of cars that tends to bear right.
:roflmao:

Now that's a good one! :D

Surferosa
04-08-2004, 10:18 AM
So many to choose from. Be original in your answer.

Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams gave up the game winning, walk-off home run to Joe Carter of the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, costing the Phillies the World Series. The Philadelphia fans never forgave him and tormented him until he finally left the city to live in some remote farm in solitude.

Another one is Bill Buckner, Red Sox First basemen in 1986 World Series against the Mets. See: Curse

Reggie Brown, the Lions first round draf pick that was paralyzed his rookie year and never played again.

Robert Edwards, who had to train harder than anyone in proffessional sports to overcome a knee injury that docotrs said was so severe they would have to amputate it.

Wally Pipp lost his starting First Basemen job to Lou Gherig after suffering a minor injury, and never won it back.

Seems like a purposely vague question, one that will allow you to think of a number of diffferent players that potentially fit the description.

Nighthawk
04-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Come on Miss Meth as a UM student you of all people should know this. How about the last four place kickers for FSU that have missed field goals in attempts to beat UM including this years Orange bowl game? One of them Gery Thomas I believe was so devastated by the miss he quit football altogether.
Unless of course you need professional atheletes.

dolphan39
04-08-2004, 11:13 AM
As someone who was an Angel's fan in '86, I can tell, I almost do not feel sorry for him

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2002/columns/kreidler_mark/1446430.html

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Thank you all so much for your help!!! My mind was blank! Normally im pretty good with thinking up this stuff but i was gone with this one. I guess its because i have 6 papers due in a week and a half... ONE of the needing to be 20 pages! Thanks again, i decided to go with Donnie Moore because of the severity of the life change. Scott Norwood was a close second. Thanks again i appreciate the Families support!!

:missmeth:

LIQUID24
04-08-2004, 11:58 AM
20 pages? holy crap

MissMeth
04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
yea tell me about it!! Oh and i cant forget that i also have to sign a childrens book next week from my sign language class!! Oh my gosh i think im going to go crazy!!! :egads: :adfin:

WharfRat
04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Surferosa
Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams gave up the game winning, walk-off home run to Joe Carter of the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series, costing the Phillies the World Series. The Philadelphia fans never forgave him and tormented him until he finally left the city to live in some remote farm in solitude.

Actually, he came to the Atlantic City area a couple of years ago, as the manager of the Atlantic City Surf - in the ALPB (Atlantic League Professional Baseball)... a small professional league that started as the ECBL (East Coast Baseball League), and grew over the past several years. He ended up out of baseball again, after leading the Surf to their worst ever record.

Atlantic City Surf (http://www.acsurf.com/)