PDA

View Full Version : Apology To My American Brothers

mike_vee
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG SPORT BUT BEING A FOOTBALL FAN AND A HOCKEY FAN I MUST COME OUT AND SAY THIS ... I'M FROM MONTREAL QUEBEC CANADA AND DURING GAME THREE OF THE NHL PLAYOFFS BETWEEN BOSTON AND MONTREAL THE IDIOT FANS HERE IN MONTREAL BOOED THE U.S. NATIONAL ANTHEM , I WOULD LIKE TO APOLAGIZE TO ALL ... I AM APPAULED AND EMBARRASED FOR WHAT I SAW AND HEARD , BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT'S ONLY A SMALL % OF THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE HERE IN MONTREAL THAT FEEL THE NEED TO BOO NATIONAL ANTHEMS , THEY DO IT TO THE CANADIAN ANTHEM AS WELL , I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY I STAND BY EVERYTHING THE U.S. HAS DONE TO RID OF THE PARASITES OF THIS WORLD ... I LOVE THE U.S.A. & CANADA FOR WHAT THEY REPRESENT AND THAT IS FREEDOM !!! ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO APOLAGIZE FOR ALL THE IDIOTS THAT LIVE THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER AND GOD BLESS AMERICA & THE DOLPHINS .:troops:

Atch13
04-16-2004, 09:00 AM
No problem....

phunwin
04-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Not your fault, but thanks just the same. Personally, I wasn't too bothered by it. When push comes to shove, Canada (and even the renegade PQ) is on our side, so a little demonstration like that is no big deal in my book, free speech being what it is.

Can you apologize for the Habs, while you're at it? There's no franchise in sports, save the Bills, that inspire that brand of pure, unadulterated hatred in me. (I'm a Bruins fan, if that wasn't obvious):fire:

jmm13-54
04-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Not your fault...I appreciate the good will... But there are hateful people everywhere...

I'm a BIG NHL & NFL Fan too... My NHL team is much like our Miami Dolphins.

Always good but never great...

St Louis Blues...who were eliminated last night by the Sharks...

25th straight season to the playoffs - 0 Cups

Miami Dolphins since I've been alive (1974) 0 Superbowls

Sometimes I wonder if it's me...:cry:

phunwin
04-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by jmm13-54
St Louis Blues...who were eliminated last night by the Sharks...

25th straight season to the playoffs - 0 Cups

Ugh, sorry jmm. I feel bad for you, because Blues fans are one of the more underappreciated sports fans, in my book. Always very loyal, constantly let down (a lot like Vikings fans, actually), and almost always let down the same exact way. How many years have the Blues taken a good-but-not-great goalie to the playoffs and watched him gag? (Hey, sounds like the Bruins, at least before Raycroft arrived!)

Anyway, sorry the Blues are done.

dodge
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
hopefully its just about sports and if so i understand although i don't condone it. i normally don't blame the masses for problems started by the few. except maybe bills fans in general. :-)

ckparrothead
04-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Until we here in america do away with the terms "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" and until my french grandmother stops receiving death threats written on rocks placed in front of her apartment door, I'm not sure we can accept your apology in good concience.

jbond
04-16-2004, 10:06 AM
I say if so many countries around the world hate us that we stop giving our tax dollars (i.e. MY paycheck) and other "economic" support to these people that turn around and give us the middle-finger :) I'd MUCH rather have MY money going towards my children's education, or doing more for our own country instead of giving it and our help away to people and countries that don't appreciate it. People in America seem to forget that you work 3-4 months a year just for your taxes and that it's YOUR and MY $ they are using irresponsibly or giving it away.

On a side note, I'm sure the people booing the anthem are not representative of a majority of the Candian folk, and my above statement doesn't deal with Canada really anyways....but rather the general foreign policy of the U.S. of A.

ckparrothead
04-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Better to spend a billion of 'our money" now giving a helping hand and building a good rapport than to spend ten billion plus thousands of american lives in a war sometime later. Just my opinion. Our giving aid is a defense mechanism and a tool for protecting our interests around the world. Its not as simple as us just giving away free money to people that hate us. Talk to your representative some time. He'll set you straight.

jbond
04-16-2004, 10:38 AM
yes yes, I know the theoretical implications of being a 'friendly' nation so as to remain on good socieo and economic terms with countries, and doing things such as rebuilding Japan (now a tech leader) and all that good stuff. The problem is we need to spend a little less on others and put a little more back into ourselves. I didn't say STOP all foreign aid (nor do I need some idiot who is bought by lobbyists and his own interests and kickbacks, politicaly and financially to set me "straight" LOL)....but when out national debt is where it is, where most states just had a reduced budget (which co-incidentaly, most states reduced dollars to education and medicare). I am not a left/right wing anything but I think it's obvious to most people that our society is on a decline, morality-wise, as well as educationally and by most other forms of standards. The gap between the "rich" and the "poor" is rapidly increasing. I would only suggest that America's "politicians" and "citizens" (who are keeping some of these idiots in office) place more emphasis on bettering our own country, society and children (our future) or else the good ol U.S. of A. one day may not be so 'good' or.....then again, most people don't care, make excuses or just ignore the facts of where our society - politically, economically and socially - are headed.

One of my favorite quotes...

Apathy is the world's biggest problem..............but who cares....

BigFinFan
04-16-2004, 11:07 AM
:shout:Read This! (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36960)

:allhail:

jbond
04-16-2004, 11:28 AM
i know this is kind of getting off topic of the 'dolphins' but the following articles are well worth reading. I am actually a pretty conservative guy (republican) and some of this may seem more 'democratic' in nature by wanting to help all these people etc......however, I believe in strong family bonds, and taking care of 'my own' (blood) and this concept has followed through to taking care of 'my own' being my fellow citizens as well as my 'own' children etc.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4305.htm

Another good site is http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/index.html

from the article:

Over 30% of Americans are on the borderline of poverty.

We are the lowest among the industrialized "first" world nations in literacy scores! Many "third" world countries now have higher literacy rates than the U.S.

3.5 million people, 39% of them children, currently experience homelessness every year. 60% of all new homeless cases are single mothers with children.

In 2001, the USDA reported that the number of Americans who were food insecure or hungry or at risk of hunger was 33.6 million. In the last year it is estimated that there has been an additional 5-10 million additional people who are now in jeopardy of hunger and starvation.

48% of people requesting food were families with children. 38% were currently employed at the time of the request.

4 Billion a month to occupy Iraq, 1.9 billion to occupy Afghanistan
The costs of occupying and improving conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan are not even factored into the latest military expenditure proposals. The US is pledged to rebuilding Iraq's electrical and water infrastructure at estimated costs of $10 Billion for the electrical grid and $500 Million to rebuild the water system and supply clean water to the population of Iraq.

If the US spent just three months occupation costs, they could wipe out hunger and homelessness completely for ten years. However, it does not seem like feeding and sheltering our own citizens has a very high priority.

(edit: This from people who drug bodies through the streets and hung them up?....great....)

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/001371.html

According to the official poverty measure, about 1.7 million more
people were in poverty in 2002 than in 2001 34.6 million versus
32.9 million. These estimates reflect the effect of the recession,
which began in March 2001 and ended in November of the same year

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P70581.asp

About 43% of American families spend more than they earn each year.
Average households carry some $8,000 in credit card debt.
Personal bankruptcies have doubled in the past decade.

American consumers owed a grand total of $1.9773 trillion in October 2003, according to the latest statistics on consumer credit from the Federal Reserve. That’s about $18,654 per household, a figure that doesn’t include mortgage debt. The number is up more than 41% from the $1.3999 trillion consumers owed in 1998.

Revolving debt currently totals $735.3 billion; that's about 31% higher than it was only five years ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6946-2004Feb25.html

Barely half of all black, Hispanic and Native American students who entered U.S. high schools in 2000 will receive diplomas this year, according to a new report that challenges conventional methods of calculating graduation rates.

Of all students who entered ninth grade four years ago, only 68 percent are expected to graduate with regular diplomas this year. The rates for minorities are considerably lower -- 50 percent for blacks, 51 percent for Native Americans and 53 percent for Hispanics -- according to a measure devised by the Urban Institute, a Washington-based nonprofit organization.

===============================================================================

Yep....with 35million Americans in poverty, personal bankruptcies doubling, avg. credit card debt for a family over $8,000, in debt total $18K (not including a mortgage), literacy rates and high school graduation rates declining, and on and on.....yet we have Billions to spend elsewhere, and billions more to give away as humanitarian aid when we can't even take care of ourselves?
These are just stats I pulled up in 15 minutes.....imagine how many other categories I could come up with in a day or two.......

Stopping foreign aid is NOT what I'm advocating.....I am, however, advocating reducing our foreign aid as a whole and coming up with a 5-10 year plan to address the many issues listed above and others.

ALL OF THESE STATISTICS AND FIGURES HAVE ONLY GOTTEN WORSE THE PAST 10-20 YEARS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO UNLESS WE RE-PRIORITIZE WHERE OUR OWN MONEY IS SPENT. WE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A WAR FROM OTHERS IN THE FUTURE (which, btw...we're paying to build their armies, train their troops, give them technology)...AS WE WON'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD OUR OWN ARMY OR HAVE PEOPLE LITERATE ENOUGH TO FIGHT!

DOLFANMIKE
04-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mike_vee
I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG SPORT BUT BEING A FOOTBALL FAN AND A HOCKEY FAN I MUST COME OUT AND SAY THIS ... I'M FROM MONTREAL QUEBEC CANADA AND DURING GAME THREE OF THE NHL PLAYOFFS BETWEEN BOSTON AND MONTREAL THE IDIOT FANS HERE IN MONTREAL BOOED THE U.S. NATIONAL ANTHEM , I WOULD LIKE TO APOLAGIZE TO ALL ... I AM APPAULED AND EMBARRASED FOR WHAT I SAW AND HEARD , BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT'S ONLY A SMALL % OF THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE HERE IN MONTREAL THAT FEEL THE NEED TO BOO NATIONAL ANTHEMS , THEY DO IT TO THE CANADIAN ANTHEM AS WELL , I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY I STAND BY EVERYTHING THE U.S. HAS DONE TO RID OF THE PARASITES OF THIS WORLD ... I LOVE THE U.S.A. & CANADA FOR WHAT THEY REPRESENT AND THAT IS FREEDOM !!! ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO APOLAGIZE FOR ALL THE IDIOTS THAT LIVE THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER AND GOD BLESS AMERICA & THE DOLPHINS .:troops:

Thats exactly why our troops are now heading north to take over what will become Northern Minnesota. J/K:lol:

BigFinFan
04-16-2004, 01:45 PM
One item that you fail to mention or to realize is that many of the Junior Enlisted Personnel in the Military are living very close to the poverty level. Take a look at the 2004 Military Pay Chart (http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/2004paytable.pdf).

These are the same people who took an Oath "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" – the Constitution that, confirms the fundamental rights of all citizens. These are the same people who give/gave their lives protecting society and freedom for you and your family.

These are the extremely brave men and women who sacrifice greatly and are selfless. They do not defend America for any reward, or do they intend for their actions to be captured for the evening news, there is no public glory in what they do. They instinctively understand the Latin phrase Non Sibi, Sid Patriae — not for self, but for country.

Their influence must be felt. If it is not, we will have turned our backs on the countless other Americans who have sacrificed so much and America will, like so many great nations before her, continue down the road to decline and fall.

Their actions reflect the true character and timeless spirit of the American people—a spirit that burns as brightly today as it did at our Nation’s founding, America will forever remain the home of hope and promise.

Honor, Courage, Commitment

These words have special meaning for us. They are our core values. They are non-negotiable.

jbond
04-16-2004, 03:10 PM
see, another category or group of people to include. I'd say give them, police officers and teachers a pay raise :) They all deserve it. A lot of police agencies start their police off at about $12/hour.

btw, there are a million different tables in that .pdf. what does the avg. 1st year enlisted person make on avg? And then, what more does that equate to with housing, insurance etc. taken into account? Not worrying about rent/mortgage could (for me) take care of $1,100/month after taxes from my check, so that'd be about a 14k form of compensation. Do you all have to pay insurance? I do about $250/month....about $3k/year (pre-tax thankfully, so about 2.5k out of pocket). I'm just curious as I wasn't in the military.

ohall
04-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by mike_vee

Obviously you didn't agree with what took place, but I doubt it's a small minority in Canada that hate Americans. Thx for posting what you posted, but one day we're going to get really upset and let the girl scouts invade and take over your country! :D

Oliver...

BigFinFan
04-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by jbond
see, another category or group of people to include. I'd say give them, police officers and teachers a pay raise :) They all deserve it. A lot of police agencies start their police off at about $12/hour.

btw, there are a million different tables in that .pdf. what does the avg. 1st year enlisted person make on avg? And then, what more does that equate to with housing, insurance etc. taken into account? Not worrying about rent/mortgage could (for me) take care of $1,100/month after taxes from my check, so that'd be about a 14k form of compensation. Do you all have to pay insurance? I do about $250/month....about $3k/year (pre-tax thankfully, so about 2.5k out of pocket). I'm just curious as I wasn't in the military.

This is for an E-1 with less than 1 year.

Entitlements:
Basic Pay – 1193.40 (E-1 Less than 2 years of service)
BAH (Housing) – 6.90 (Living on Ship or Barracks)
Subsistence – 0.00 (eating in the Galley)
Career Sea Pay – 50.00 (Less than 1 year sea time)

Total Pay: 1250.30

Deductions:
SGLI (Life Insurance) – 16.25 ($250,000 Life Insurance)
Federal Income Tax – 124.01 (Single, Zero Allowances)
State Income Tax – 0.00 (FL Resident)
FICA – 95.12

Total Deductions: 235.38

MONTHLY NET PAY: 1014.92

mike_vee
04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ohall

Obviously you didn't agree with what took place, but I doubt it's a small minority in Canada that hate Americans. Thx for posting what you posted, but one day we're going to get really upset and let the girl scouts invade and take over your country! :D

Oliver... it is a small minority in which the majority are from quebec , they see americans as english ...and if your not aware here in quebec english and french are not the best of freinds and if anything thats really the reason they boo, dumb peppers !!