PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Football Hero Killed In Afghanistan

gearhead
04-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Being unpolitically correct as possible ....another friggin' waste of a fine American! Our boys are dying not for OUR country but for countries and a region where the natives hate the US and that will never be peaceful or democratic....Vietnam II.....time to bring them home!

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Being unpolitically correct as possible ....another friggin' waste of a fine American! Our boys are dying not for OUR country but for countries and a region where the natives hate the US and that will never be peaceful or democratic....Vietnam II.....time to bring them home!

Are you seriously this big of a rude, mannerless, classless piece of human garbage or are you simply channelling one?
Go take that political BULL**** elsewhere.

gearhead
04-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Are you seriously this big of a rude, mannerless, classless piece of human garbage or are you simply channelling one?
Go take that political BULL**** elsewhere.

What? Just because I don't advocate our soldiers getting killed unnecessarily? I'm on Pat's side .... he was a great American! You must be one of those war mongers like Bush that don't realize the real atrocities of war and that real people, get really KILLED! Find any "weapons of mass destruction" yet, RICK?

LIQUID24
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Gearhead and Rick, if you guys wanna talk politics, there's a forum for that. Please take it there. This thread is about Pat Tillman.

GreenFin
What? Just because I don't advocate our soldiers getting killed unnecessarily? I'm on Pat's side .... he was a great American! You must one one of those war mongers that don't realize the real atrocities of war and real people get really KILLED!

Let's just leave the political stuff to another forum. That's not what this thread or this website is about. All of us have different opinions but we don't need to share that with everyone. Not here, not now.

Rick 1966
What? Just because I don't advocate our soldiers getting killed unnecessarily? I'm on Pat's side .... he was a great American! You must one one of those war mongers that don't realize the real atrocities of war and real people get really KILLED!

So you were opposed to our invading Afghanistan then? Yeah, you do look that stupid. I reiterate. TAKE YOUR POLITICAL BULLSH!T SOMEWHERE ELSE.

gearhead
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Nuff said ....

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Gearhead and Rick, if you guys wanna talk politics, there's a forum for that. Please take it there. This thread is about Pat Tillman.

Don't be disingenuous enough to lump me in with that piece of crap. I didn't want to talk politics with him and don't make it sound like I tried to. I think you owe me an apology actually.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 12:03 PM
BTW, Gearhead...you're obviously not that bright, but I do hope you can read enough to understand that Tillman died in AFGHANISTAN, not Iraq. So your WMD crack is just as stupid as everything else you've ever said.

LIQUID24
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
It's true Rick, you didn't start it, but it's obvious you guys disagree on your views. It was just a suggestion. No offense.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
It's true Rick, you didn't start it, but it's obvious you guys disagree on your views. It was just a suggestion. No offense.

I do disagree with him but I wasn't arguing politics with him in that thread. I am fully ready to do it in this one however, seeing as how he's not even smart enough to tell Iraq from Afghanistan.

gearhead
04-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Rick, you're the one who can't disagree & present your opinion without resorting to personal attacks and the use of profanity against those who don't agree with you. Your choice of language and rhetoric are truly an indication that you're the more ignorant and illiterate party.

My statements were against the entire notion of Americans dying for countries that have no respect for our beliefs or its citizens ANYWHERE on the face of the Earth not whether Tillman died in Afganistan or Iraq. And the fact that most Americans don't realize that when they advocate war and policies that require use of our Armed Forces, that someone is going to die..... sure tt's a tragedy but it's a certainty.

I've served in the military and have had brothers that have died while serving the U.S. so I think I have the right to voice my opinion on the matter. My mistake was posting it on this venue. Your mistake was attacking me. Let's move on and get ready for some football.

SkapePhin
04-23-2004, 12:50 PM
BigFinFan: I dont wish to take anything away from your Service or any that have died during the war or any conflicts, but I have a question. Is the only reason for joining purely selfless and solely duty for country? Don't some join mostly because it will help them receive an Education and pay their way through college? I know that seems to be the main selling point when they send me military things in the mail.

Nontheless, regardless of intentions, they are all brave men and women who risk life and limb for whether it be for themselves, their families, or their country and deserve our deepest respect and support.

On another note, It may appear political, but I dont believe all wars that the United States are involved in are fought in order to ensure our freedoms, maybe some of our comforts, but not neccessarily our freedoms.

Mods, feel free to move this to political thread if you deem it appropriate.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Rick, you're the one who can't disagree & present your opinion without resorting to personal attacks and the use of profanity against those who don't agree with you. Your choice of language and rhetoric are truly an indication that you're the more ignorant and illiterate party.

No, you're incorrect. It had NOTHING to do with the fact I disagree with you and EVERYTHING to do with your total lack of class for sullying a remembrance of a good man with your political BS. You have no manners, no class and very little knowledge on the subject and you prove it with every post you make.

My statements were against the entire notion of Americans dying for countries that have no respect for our beliefs or its citizens ANYWHERE on the face of the Earth not whether Tillman died in Afganistan or Iraq. And the fact that most Americans don't realize that when they advocate war and policies that require use of our Armed Forces, that someone is going to die..... sure tt's a tragedy but it's a certainty.

I've served in the military and have had brothers that have died while serving the U.S. so I think I have the right to voice my opinion on the matter. My mistake was posting it on this venue. Your mistake was attacking me. Let's move on and get ready for some football.

No, YOU made the mistake by sullying a thread remembering the sacrifice of Pat Tillman with your political garbage. If you had ANY sense or knowledge, you'd know that we are not in Afghanistan dying for their citizens, we are there to hunt down and kill those responsible for the attack on our country. Al Quaeda is still in the mountains on the border with Pakistan and we are trying to flush them out.
I seriously doubt you were in the military, although it's possible---lots of idiots join the military because they though, before 9-11, that it would be an easy job. But I do know that none of the privates in my infantry platoon was as ignorant or classless as you.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 12:55 PM
BigFinFan: I dont wish to take anything away from your Service or any that have died during the war or any conflicts, but I have a question. Is the only reason for joining purely selfless and solely duty for country? Don't some join mostly because it will help them receive an Education and pay their way through college? I know that seems to be the main selling point when they send me military things in the mail.

ANYONE who joined up after 9-11 knew they were going to fight. They're all heroes in my book.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 12:57 PM

On another note, It may appear political, but I dont believe all wars that the United States are involved in are fought in order to ensure our freedoms, maybe some of our comforts, but not neccessarily our freedoms.

Why didn't you just post it there to begin with? I swear, how hard is it to keep your politics to yourself in a thread to honor the sacrifice of a good man?

SkapePhin
04-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Why didn't you just post it there to begin with? I swear, how hard is it to keep your politics to yourself in a thread to honor the sacrifice of a good man?
Because I was replying to BigFin and I dont believe he would have seen it there.. But like I said move it, I didnt want to tarnis this thread with politics, it was just a reply.

This should be a tribute to Pat Tillman for his sacrifice.

gearhead
04-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Spoken like a true, frustrated, non-com, ground pounding grunt ... your loving jet jockey. OXOXOX

PhinPhan1227
04-23-2004, 01:21 PM
So we shouldn't have invaded Afghanistan despite the fact that we were attacked by the Taliban supported members of Al-Quida which were based there? Let me tell you something gear head...I served in the Army(11H), and I can' imagine someone serving beside me who felt that our response to 9/11 should have been to NOT go into Afghanistan. Iraq I could at least see the argument, but Afghanistan NO WAY!!! Furthermore, Tillman joined KNOWING he would go there. He not only volunteered to join, he volunteered SPECIFICALLY for combat in the Afghan theater. So by denegrating his involvement you denegrate him. That's pretty scummy man.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Spoken like a true, frustrated, non-com, ground pounding grunt ... your loving jet jockey. OXOXOX

Actually it's "spoken like an infantry platoon leader." I'm PROUD to have been a lightfighter. BTW, I was at the gym the other day and started talking with a couple guys. Turned out one had been in the USMC and the other had been in the Navy. I said "Wow, we got Army, Navy and Marines here. All we need to complete the group is an Air Force guy."
The Marine snorted and said "What the hell would an Air Force guy be doing in a GYM?"
But I know you were never in a jet cockpit for any reason other than to clean puke off the seats.

PhinPhan1227
04-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Actually it's "spoken like an infantry platoon leader." I'm PROUD to have been a lightfighter. BTW, I was at the gym the other day and started talking with a couple guys. Turned out one had been in the USMC and the other had been in the Navy. I said "Wow, we got Army, Navy and Marines here. All we need to complete the group is an Air Force guy."
The Marines snorted and said "What the hell would an Air Force guy be doing in a GYM?"
But I know you were never in a jet cockpit for any reason other than to clean puke off the seats.

You want to hear something funny? Guess what the Air forces PT test was changed to a couple of years back? You have to ride an exercise bike. No push-ups, no sit-up, no running. An exercise bike. God forbid a jet jockey has to put down his dougnuts to take a PT test...oh, and speaking of Lightfighters...10 Mountain here...11H... :evil:

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
You want to hear something funny? Guess what the Air forces PT test was changed to a couple of years back? You have to ride an exercise bike. No push-ups, no sit-up, no running. An exercise bike. God forbid a jet jockey has to put down his dougnuts to take a PT test...oh, and speaking of Lightfighters...10 Mountain here...11H... :evil:

Hoo-ah. 25th ID, electric avacados! :D

BigFinFan
04-23-2004, 01:47 PM

Nontheless, regardless of intentions, they are all brave men and women who risk life and limb for whether it be for themselves, their families, or their country and deserve our deepest respect and support.

SkapePhin - I do agree that many have joined for the "Education Benefits" that you mentioned. It is a great opportunity for many. However, I also believe that some joined after 9-11 for the "Patriotism" that they felt - not fully understanding what they had gotten themselves into.

I joined the Navy in 1988. I did not join for the education benefits; I turned down a Scholarship to U of F to join the Navy. I joined because I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my grandfathers (one stormed the beaches at Normandy, and the other was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th), and my older brother who had joined the USAF in 1981. My older brother was accepted into the Army in 1992 to fly Blackhawk Helicopters. He is currently in Tikrit flying Med-Evac and Rescue Missions. We both participated in Operation Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom, I returned home in March 2002, and I am preparing to go back again.

I love what I do and I love knowing that what I do makes a difference for my family and for all Americans. I am sure that Pat Tillman felt the same!

Gonzo
04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Hoo-ah. 25th ID, electric avacados! :D

Former 1/509th INF here (19D). All I know about the air force is what I have seen when they came to train in Ft. Puke, LA. They actually got extra pay for below standard living and apparently they didn't need to get haircuts, ever.

As far as Tillman goes, you guys have already said it all. He volunteered to go to Afghanistan to hunt out the cowards that orchestrated an attack on the United States. I would say they are doing a dang fine job considering there have been no further attacks on American soil. People hav a right to speak out against anything they want, I just hope they realize they only can because of people like Tillman.

FSUDolphin
04-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Gonk,

on a day like this why we remember the fallen soilders why not leave politics out of it. how about blaming al queda..ridiculous

CarolinaFishFan
04-23-2004, 03:50 PM
"Everybody can thank President Bush for this..."

ohhh no, they can thank Osama, and the Taliban

Gonk
04-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Because there is absolutely no reason why we should be in Afganistan right now. We are after AL-QAEDA, not the entire country. Reports are saying Al-Qaeda has all but fled Afganistan anyway. We have troops stationed there for no reason, and because of this- Pat Tillman was killed.

You say we shouldn't bring up politics in this? Maybe we should. This is the first time someone recognizable has died in the line of duty in the middle-east... but our friends, children, brothers, sisters and parents are being killed EVERY DAY. It is ridiculous.

Tillman is a true American hero, but his life could've been saved if it weren't for the morons holding office right now.

FSUDolphin
04-23-2004, 04:11 PM
if al-queda has indeed left afghanistan than who was the fire fight with?? your entitled to your opinon..So you say we should just pull out all the troops to let al-queda re organize..Tillman obviously believed in what we were doing over there. If not he wouldnt have left all that money, his family and gone into danger. He was affected by 9-11 in such a great way that he dedicated his life. Pretty much the whole country said they were changed by the 9-11 events but most of us slowly returned to how we were over time. tillman actually did something he believed in. I dont want this to turn into a political debate..Instead it should be about recognizing what a great man and hero tillman and all our troops are.

fin-atic
04-23-2004, 04:27 PM
What a hero and a tragic loss for the family and this country.

I have had enough of this bull$hit phoney war. It's time to bring the troops home. No matter how many we send or how many die, you can't change the nature of that part of the world. It has been their culture for thousands of years.

God Bless the Tillman family and God bless America.

Section126
04-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I have had enough of this bull$hit phoney war. It's time to bring the troops home.

First of all, tell Pat Tillman's family that this was a phoney war......and to bring the troops home would be the ultimate slap in the face of Pat Tillman as well as in essence making his death be in vain.

Words don't describe how offensive these comments are to those that have loved ones serving overseas right now.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Because there is absolutely no reason why we should be in Afganistan right now. We are after AL-QAEDA, not the entire country. Reports are saying Al-Qaeda has all but fled Afganistan anyway. We have troops stationed there for no reason, and because of this- Pat Tillman was killed.

Wow, you know even less about this subject than I first assumed. Al Quaeda is in the mountain region between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The Pakistani Army is pressuring them from their side of the border while our guys hammer them from the Afghan side. You really have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I have had enough of this bull$hit phoney war. It's time to bring the troops home. No matter how many we send or how many die, you can't change the nature of that part of the world. It has been their culture for thousands of years.

Jesus GOD! I certainly hope you don't vote, because you lack the basic knowledge for it.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 07:11 PM
The only shame is that George Bush has wasted all this time, resources, and the lives of great men such as Pat Tillman. He's clearly not competent enough to get this done in a satisfactory manner. Iraq has been a complete debacle, Why didn't they send more troops!? Bush was playing POLITICS!!! Vote this incompetent out of the white house, and let's get somebody that has some sort of notion of Geopolitics. Shame on Bush!

People who trot out this drivel only prove how little they know about the situation in Afghanistan. There is NO NEED for more troops in Afghanistan. It is NOT a situation where we can send in hundreds of thousands of troops and take care of the problem---with the terrain there, there is simply no way to transport, feed and house that many troops in the high mountains where they are needed.
NO lives have been wasted in Afghanistan, no matter what your feelings about President Bush or the war in Iraq. Any other president would have handled Afghanistan in a similar fashion, though probably not as well as President Bush has.

Section126
04-23-2004, 07:19 PM
it's obvious that we have finish these wars now: Iraq and Afghanistan. We can't bring the troops now, but people have to understand that this is Afghanistan. The Soviet Union lost more than 15,000 troops over fifteen years. We have to finish what we started, we can't back out now. Al Qaida started this, we have to finish it. The only shame is that George Bush has wasted all this time, resources, and the lives of great men such as Pat Tillman. He's clearly not competent enough to get this done in a satisfactory manner. Iraq has been a complete debacle, Why didn't they send more troops!? Bush was playing POLITICS!!! Vote this incompetent out of the white house, and let's get somebody that has some sort of notion of Geopolitics. Shame on Bush!

I am speechless....that diatribe bordered on idiocy and definately simple minded. Let me be the first to vote you off the island.

go_fins
04-23-2004, 07:27 PM
I am speechless....that diatribe bordered on idiocy and definately simple minded. Let me be the first to vote you off the island.
what do you want? a hurray for Bush? fact of the matter is he has done a poor job in Iraq. At least get informed before you start calling people idiots. Everyone says they needed at least 200K to 300K troops in Iraq, and he sent half of that because an election year was coming up and he didn't want to give the 'impression' that it was going to be a long term war. Now that the war is here we have to support our troops and put them in the BEST position to suceed. Bush, clearly, has not done so, and he's shown time and time again that he can't.

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 07:42 PM
what do you want?

An intelligent comment on the subject from you. Unfortunately, that's apparently too much to ask.

go_fins
04-23-2004, 07:58 PM
and what are you? a Rush Limbaugh fan? I hear they've inbred so much they're coming out retarted. The rumors must be true, you can't give any reasons or facts, just a stupid one liner. don't waste the thread, this is about a man that gave up his life to defend this country and people have opinions on it, live with it.

Gonk
04-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Rick1966, why are you taking personal shots at us? Because we have different views on the war, that makes us less intelligent? Get a grip.

I am very informed about what is going on in the war. We seem to know that Al-Qaeda is still in Afganistan... yet, we've been there for roughly 2 years and haven't found the guy we're looking for. What we've done is taken over a weaker country, thrown out their goverment and implanted a goverment in which WE think works. How ironic and hypocritical can we get? We are doing the same exact thing the former leaders of Afganistan did... except, somehow, we are doing the right thing?

If we are to go to war against terrorism, so be it. Go to war against TERRORISM, not an entire country. Or two countries, now.

When someone close to you dies in the war, we'll see how much you think the war is worth.

themole
04-23-2004, 08:31 PM
I would like to announce that on these matters I am squarely in Rick66 and Section126s camp. We have not always agreed on the Dolphins, but somrthing as imprtant as this I'm glad to say I'm with you guys!

:up:

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 08:57 PM
and what are you?

Someone who knows more than you about Afghanistan, politics and the military.

Section126
04-23-2004, 08:59 PM
what do you want? a hurray for Bush? fact of the matter is he has done a poor job in Iraq. At least get informed before you start calling people idiots. Everyone says they needed at least 200K to 300K troops in Iraq, and he sent half of that because an election year was coming up and he didn't want to give the 'impression' that it was going to be a long term war. Now that the war is here we have to support our troops and put them in the BEST position to suceed. Bush, clearly, has not done so, and he's shown time and time again that he can't.

"The partisan that refuses the simplest true notion of his opponent is not just a partisan, he is also an idiot." - Winston Churchill

Rick 1966
04-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Rick1966, why are you taking personal shots at us? Because we have different views on the war, that makes us less intelligent? Get a grip.

I am very informed about what is going on in the war. We seem to know that Al-Qaeda is still in Afganistan... yet, we've been there for roughly 2 years and haven't found the guy we're looking for. What we've done is taken over a weaker country, thrown out their goverment and implanted a goverment in which WE think works. How ironic and hypocritical can we get? We are doing the same exact thing the former leaders of Afganistan did... except, somehow, we are doing the right thing?

If we are to go to war against terrorism, so be it. Go to war against TERRORISM, not an entire country. Or two countries, now.

When someone close to you dies in the war, we'll see how much you think the war is worth.

No, you don't know anything about the war. You just proved it. I am taking personal shots at you because you INSISTED on turning this thread into a political debate despite the pleas of several people and the efforts of the staff to prevent it. And then, once you succeeded in turning it into a debate, you've shown you don't know enough about the subject to intelligently debate it.
The FACT is, no matter who was president in 2001, Gore or Bush, they would have invaded Afghanistan and overthrown the Taliban government. If you don't believe that, you're simply in denial. Gore has STATED OPENLY AND PUBLICALLY that he thinks President Bush did the right thing in Afghanistan. John Kerry has stated that he thinks that invading Afghanistan was the right course of action. Military commentators of every political persuasion have said that the action in Afghanistan was the right thing to do.
So what you're doing is trying to smear the action in Afghanistan because you disagree with the war in Iraq, and it's painfully obvious.

ZOD
04-23-2004, 11:51 PM

You are right Gonk. I've always thought we should finish what Ronald Reagan started with the Strategic Defense Initiative. So that if we ever get attacked internally again we just push a button, fry the bastards, and move on.

Let's end immigration so we don't have to worry about terrorism anymore. Build that wall across the Mexican border. Forget about foreign trade. Who needs them?

Will you join me in the Buchanan Brigade? You can't have it both ways as you might try. Join my side!

ZOD
04-24-2004, 12:00 AM
fact of the matter is he has done a poor job in Iraq. At least get informed before you start calling people idiots. Everyone says they needed at least 200K to 300K troops in Iraq, and he sent half of that because an election year was coming up and he didn't want to give the 'impression' that it was going to be a long term war. Now that the war is here we have to support our troops and put them in the BEST position to suceed. Bush, clearly, has not done so, and he's shown time and time again that he can't.

How large is your city? Here, let's use my metro area for example.

We've got a three county area that contains a little less than a million residents. How many troops would it take to contain 10 percent of the population? How many troops would it take for you to guarranty me that if the Soviet Union invaded Charleston, SC you would not have body bags going back to the old USSR? It can't be done.

Sacrifice-forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have greater value or claim.

themole
04-24-2004, 08:24 AM
You are right Gonk. I've always thought we should finish what Ronald Reagan started with the Strategic Defense Initiative. So that if we ever get attacked internally again we just push a button, fry the bastards, and move on.

Let's end immigration so we don't have to worry about terrorism anymore. Build that wall across the Mexican border. Forget about foreign trade. Who needs them?

Will you join me in the Buchanan Brigade? You can't have it both ways as you might try. Join my side!

Zod..I've been on the Patrick J. Buchanan, Bandwagon for a long time. I am a protectionist! It's a no brainer for any supporter of the constitution. Why isn't everyone? I believe in securing this nations borders just as I would the border around my home. I don't mind a visitor every now and then but I don't want them pitching a tent in my back yard, raiding my refrigerater, pilfering my medicine cabinet and generally causing so much pressure on the neighborhood that everyone has to learn the guest language in order for the neighborhood to function.
:up:

ZOD
04-24-2004, 08:44 AM
Needless to say that the punishment for the atrocity of 9/11 would have been no less severe and this young man's life would have been spared as we would not be participating in nation building in countless countries.

Rick 1966
04-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Needless to say that the punishment for the atrocity of 9/11 would have been no less severe and this young man's life would have been spared as we would not be participating in nation building in countless countries.

No, Tillman would still have been in Afghanistan fighting Al Quaeda. His mission had NOTHING to do with nation building. He was in the mountains hunting Al Quaeda.

dolfanreal69
04-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Is it not enough to just honor a fallen hero. I mean if you wanted a political debate you should have started your own thread abut politics. The man gave up millions of dollars to do what he felt was right.Defend this country. To take away from his sacrifice is not only disrespectfull to his memorey,but a slap in the face to any soilder who has ever served and paid the price. God bless Pat, and all my brothers who have seen war. They all have given part of themselves so that we can be and say who we are today.

"All gave some and some gave all"

Dolfanreal69 Former USAF

Section126
04-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Is it not enough to just honor a fallen hero. I mean if you wanted a political debate you should have started your own thread abut politics. The man gave up millions of dollars to do what he felt was right.Defend this country. To take away from his sacrifice is not only disrespectfull to his memorey,but a slap in the face to any soilder who has ever served and paid the price. God bless Pat, and all my brothers who have seen war. They all have given part of themselves so that we can be and say who we are today.

"All gave some and some gave all"

Dolfanreal69 Former USAF

Amen, some people just don't realize how offensive it is to bring up a bunch of partisan bull$hit when we are honoring a true american hero such as Pat Tillman.