PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do in this situation?

Danny
05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Like all of you guys, I look forward to sunday's so I can watch our team play. I've been working at the same place for a long time now. I used to like working there and stayed long enough so that I could pick my days off which are sunday and monday. But I haven't been happy working there now for the last 3 years. Still, I stayed mostly so that I could keep my days off as I work in the restaurant business and if I go to another place I have very little hope of having sundays off. I've gotten to the point where I'm not happy and I want to leave. Would you guys be crazy enough to stay where you're not happy just to be able to watch the games? It might sound stupid to real people but us fans know how hard it'd be not to be able to watch the games.What should I do?

Ozzy rules!!

finsnchips
05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
That's tough.

I hate my job. But I only work on saturdays

I spose it comes down to this Danny...

would your be happier in a new job, or happier watching the phins?

FinfanInBuffalo
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Change jobs, get DirectTV, NFL Sunday Ticket and a TiVo. You'll be happier and have a cool toy.

Agua
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Shouldn't be too hard to find a M-F job somewhere. Quit the job.

Bowl_Bound
05-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Shouldn't be too hard to find a M-F job somewhere. Quit the job.

Agreed. Especially if you have been thinking about this for 3 years and had no improvement. What do you do in the restuarant business? I spent alot of time in that business.

3P
05-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Better yet... what does Finsnchips do that he only has to work saturdays :)

Al13
05-05-2004, 11:52 AM
hey danny i´m exactly in the same situation as you, i worked in a coktailbar for 5 years and i always had sundays off during the season, but now after i had a run in with the manager couple off weeks ago i quit and now work in another bar, where i got promised to get sundays off starting in september, otherwise i think i wouldn´t accepted the job over there, so speaking for myself, i would rather stay at a place that i have trouble with but get sundays off for sure, rather then work somewhere else but have to do sunday duty

phunwin
05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Yikes, that's a tough situation. Neither Hell nor high water nor angry wife can keep me from football Sunday. I'd stick it out until you find a M-F job you can actually enjoy. Maybe that doesn't permit itself in the restaurant business, though. In that case, take Finfan's advice: get Direct TV and a Tivo. Tivo the games, stay as far away from football updates as possible, and watch when you get home.

pigskinguy
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Rock. Danny. Hard Place.

Crap man, I dunno. As my girlfriend will tell you, nothing and I mean NOTHING keeps me from Football Sunday. I guess you gotta decide what would make more miserable. Your crappy job. Or not watching the Dolphins.
Or as my girlfriend always says....."Just tape the game". Man, I love women. :D

Goin` Deep
05-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Danny, you`re in a situation that I don`t ever want to see myself in, but take some of the other posters advice and get DirecTV and TiVo, it`s well worth it. If this new job pays well then maybe you don`t want to give it up, and if you`ve got to work Sundays then the TiVo just saved your day. Good luck man, I don`t envy ya.

Muck
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I've been there bud. All but two jobs in my life required Sunday work. And do you know how many games I've missed?? ONE. Was in 1996. I was 16. And it was torture. My boss threatened to fire me if I didn't work. And I really needed the money (and jobs are tough to come by when you're 16 and live in a small, poor town). So I did it. Then I vowed never to do it again. I'd rather be fired.

You have to make it a priority. Don't feel bad about doing so when job hunting. What good is getting a job enjoy when the cost is something you love?? When I was a kid, my mom always told me, "Hey, the Dolphins are important to you. You love them. So sacrifice them because you'll be miserable". She was right. And to this day, I do whatever it takes to be there for every event.

I'd start looking for another job. You can have your cake and eat it too. It's not too much to ask from the heavens above. ;) But if you can't get Sunday's off there, maybe you can just get those hours off in which the Dolphins play.

But whatever you do, make sure you don't miss the Dolphins. In your heart, you know the right answer. So just go with it!! :cool:

Danny
05-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Wow, I thank you guys for all the advice.It'd be very hard to miss the games, specially since this could be the year. I'm thinking that I'm gonna start looking now and hoping that by the time the seaosn starts, maybe I could have something worked out by then. Again, you guys are like my second family and that's why I asked. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ozzy rules!! I will NOT miss the Ozzfest for any job tho...lol