PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy gas on May 19

Lukin
05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
I know this is way of topic but I wanted everyone to see it. Apparently someone came up with the Idea that if everyone in America didn't buy gas on May 19th it would cost the oil companies a lot of dough and force them to lower prices. Take it for what its worth. I'm going along with it....

Dol-Fan Dupree
05-17-2004, 02:11 PM
these never work

go_fins
05-17-2004, 02:16 PM
doesn't work.

3P
05-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Ok... so everyone in the US just buys gas on the 20th... all you did is put sales to zero for one day, and carry over the sales that would have occured that day to the next day. The only way something like that would really work is if everyone in the US didn't buy gas for a week, or a month or something. And by that, I mean don't drive their car and don't buy gas... doesnt do a thing if all you do is fill up the day before or after instead of on that day. :shakeno:

Hellion
05-17-2004, 03:21 PM
You have to boycott the oil company's themselves individually, like Amaco for one month then Shell the next then Texico, to start a price war. That way you get gas by going to their different competitors and the company boycotted loses profit.
Also Gas stations make most of their profit from what they sell inside the store, so stopping for chips and beer or whatever you need is ok just don't but the gas.

Problem is, it all has to be orginized and and people have to stick to it and we all know that the people of this country won't do it.

Scrap
05-17-2004, 04:09 PM
What if everyone started carpooling? That would decrease gas sales.

WharfRat
05-17-2004, 04:16 PM
You have to boycott the oil company's themselves individually, like Amaco for one month then Shell the next then Texico, to start a price war.

Not to split hairs or anything...

But Shell and Texaco are the same. Shell bought them out....

Hellion
05-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Not to split hairs or anything...

But Shell and Texaco are the same. Shell bought them out....

:lol: yeah you're right, :goof:

frady2001
05-17-2004, 05:21 PM
actually, if we could just get people to stop buying gas hogs (SUVs and trucks) just cuz there cool then we as a country would stop using so much gas then there would be less demand and prices would go down.

problem is the people who sit on the car-makers boards also sit on the oil producers boards and push for less fuel efficiant cars to be made.

brech10
05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
When the prices return to 99 cents a gallon, publications from around the world will site FinHeaven as the unlikely starting place for this collectively successful community movement...therefore making this the best web site ever made....ever.

ajdoggie
05-17-2004, 07:27 PM
"When the prices return to 99 cents a gallon". That'll be when hell freezes over.

Section126
05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Not to split hairs again........but the Oil companies are losing money as of now......

The Oil Companies want you to consume....so they want oil prices stable as they have to refine the rough product.......

If we consumed less....THEY WOULD RAISE THE PRICE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is simple supply / demand economics.

Think.

Thundercracker
05-17-2004, 07:39 PM
I filled up yesterday. so I won't have to fill up on the 19th. that will stick it to them. ;)

WharfRat
05-17-2004, 07:43 PM
I filled up yesterday. so I won't have to fill up on the 19th. that will stick it to them. ;)

Go Get 'em Tiger!! :lol:

brech10
05-17-2004, 08:35 PM
my last fill-up was only 5 dollars because I'm a cheap *** and that is all i was really ready to spend at the time. If we all follow my lead....then.......i don't know

ohall
05-17-2004, 08:41 PM
I know this is way of topic but I wanted everyone to see it. Apparently someone came up with the Idea that if everyone in America didn't buy gas on May 19th it would cost the oil companies a lot of dough and force them to lower prices. Take it for what its worth. I'm going along with it....

I've got news for you, if this was to take place they would simply raise prices on us after the fact.

Oliver...

Lukin
05-17-2004, 11:25 PM
I understand all your point of views. I don't think it will work either. Like I said, it wasn't my Idea, but I'm going along with it just to see what happens. Haven't any of you got those chain emails that've been circulating?

Kamikaze
05-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Not to split hairs again........but the Oil companies are losing money as of now......

The Oil Companies want you to consume....so they want oil prices stable as they have to refine the rough product.......

If we consumed less....THEY WOULD RAISE THE PRICE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is simple supply / demand economics.

Think.

I did think, and you make no sense. Unless we find some massive reserve of oil by total dumbass luck, or find a way to defy the laws of gravity in the reserves we know about and are currently pumping, supply is either going to hit its peak worldwide very soon or it already has. So, you're suggesting that an even higher increase in demand would keep prices lower than if we got serious about decreasing demand?

The only way to dramatically decrease the price of gasoline is to radically change our way of life in America. That means almost certainly doing away with SUVs, carpooling, development of public transportation using vehicles that do not run on gasoline, developing a national system of trains that do not run on oil thus negating the need to use airplanes for domestic travel, using more efficient farming machinery, converting more power plants into solar and wind where they can actually be effective, and so many other things. We just can't keep waiting and hoping that alternative energy sources will deliver us from the brink. The global supply of oil will start to drop soon. If demand keeps soaring when this starts to happen, all hell will break loose.

Lukin
05-18-2004, 11:35 AM
I read somewhere that we have enought oil reserved to last us 20 something odd years.