PDA

View Full Version : Directv DVR w/ TiVo

Thundercracker
05-20-2004, 02:56 PM
I know there was a post long ago about this, but it dissapeared. I just got my dVR and I have a couple questions, maybe you guys can help me out. My main reason for buying this thing is so I could record the fins games and put them on my computer, then burn them to DVD's. the back of the DVR has USB ports. I haven't tried it yet, but I am thinking that directv won't just allow you to do this. Is it that easy or do you have to hack it? and if so, can someone explain how to do it?

Also, TiVo starts recording things it think's I would like, but it's way off. How do you make it stop?

DeDolfan
05-20-2004, 03:13 PM
I know there was a post long ago about this, but it dissapeared. I just got my dVR and I have a couple questions, maybe you guys can help me out. My main reason for buying this thing is so I could record the fins games and put them on my computer, then burn them to DVD's. the back of the DVR has USB ports. I haven't tried it yet, but I am thinking that directv won't just allow you to do this. Is it that easy or do you have to hack it? and if so, can someone explain how to do it?

Also, TiVo starts recording things it think's I would like, but it's way off. How do you make it stop?

directv only says now that those USB ports are for "future use". I would imagine that you could. Or, you should be able to use the "save to VCR" feature and having it connected to your computer instead of your VCR. I haven't done it but I think it may work that way at least.

miamirw
05-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Good question. I'd like to know how to do this as well.

Muck
05-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Here ya go dude. :cool:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=36637

I'm about to get set up too. :up:

ckparrothead
05-20-2004, 03:53 PM
I tell ya what tho ya'll that are payin through the nose for TiVo are gettin ripped. My buddy and me just hooked up the brighthouse cable at our new apt and they're givin us two DVRs, one for each bedroom, and only chargin us like 2 dollars a month for the first 6 months, then 15 bucks a month thereafter (and if we wanted we could just cancel them after 6 months, never pay the 15 bucks).

Thundercracker
05-20-2004, 04:15 PM
thanks for the link muck. and i read your question on there about the phone line. well they told me that it HAS to be plugged into a phone line every night at 2 a.m. because thats when tivo calls in and if it isn't plugged in they will shut it off within 48 hours. just a heads up for you.

ckparrothead
05-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Damn, thats crazy.

WeVie
05-23-2004, 02:09 AM
I got me a Tivo for Direct TV today. Yippe!! I am going to hook it up first thing tomorrow. I am sooooooo excited.

DeDolfan
05-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Damn, thats crazy.

They do that to make sure you're only using the service where you're supposed to be. If not, you could take your TiVo, directv, etc. elsewhere and see a game that's been blackout in that market. Or you could move to an area w/o local programming and still receive it, albeit from the old market area tho. Now, if somehow we could hook it up to a cell phone................................... ;)