PDA

View Full Version : I need help selecting a car...

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 12:19 AM
Well, as some of you know I just turned 16. And am 2 months away from receiving my license. My mother is most likely buying me a car, but we have no clue what type of car is cheap, safe, and nice looking. We have many cars in mind, but some IMO "are too girly" or for her "are not safe", so If anyone could help I would appreciate it. These are the possible cars...

-Honda Civic
-Mitsubishi Eciplse
-Toyota Matrix
-Mazda 6
-Mazda Protege

Thundercracker
05-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Whats your price range?

Snickersbps
05-22-2004, 12:31 AM
www.nastyz28.com

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Probably 20,000 or less? I am not too sure, but I know I am getting a job this summer.

Muck
05-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah, get yourself a nice batmobile. Plenty loud and thunderous!!

LIQUID24
05-22-2004, 12:41 AM
And the chicks dig it too :up:

Snickersbps
05-22-2004, 12:42 AM
20,000?! Thats a pretty large amount of money for your mom to be putting up for your first car.

are you looking at new or used or both?

also, what type of car are you specifically interested in? Do you enjoy working on/repairing cars, or are you looking for a car that you can change the oil and forget about it?

Snickersbps
05-22-2004, 12:46 AM

the original batmobile (Michael Keaton days) was actually a modified Impala frame from the mid 60's. Basically what Im getting at, is it looked kinda cool, maybe, but rode like a horse drawn carraige :lol:

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 12:48 AM

Yeah maybe, afterall It is better than a bycicle, If you know what I mean :)

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 12:50 AM
20,000?! Thats a pretty large amount of money for your mom to be putting up for your first car.

are you looking at new or used or both?

also, what type of car are you specifically interested in? Do you enjoy working on/repairing cars, or are you looking for a car that you can change the oil and forget about it?

We are looking at both new and used, but I am pretty sure we will most likely go new. Since I am getting a job, I really want a car that with my saved up money I can hook up. Put rims on it, tint the windows, lower the car a little bit. Stuff like that.

Scrap
05-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Get you a Gremlin,a Pinto,a scooter, or a nice station wagon with paneling on the side. :)

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 01:40 AM
I'll pass, thank you though Scrap ;)

Clumpy
05-22-2004, 02:01 AM
:eek:

20,000 for a first car for someone only 16?

I would hate to see the insurance bill

I would recommend something more practical

Snickersbps
05-22-2004, 03:07 AM
I agree with Clump........errr.....crap....yeah, I guess I do, but never again will it happen :D

my first car cost my $1800, $4000 later it looks and runs like a champ(see website if you're curious). Insurance is still about $700 every 6 months(just went down from $1400 every 6 months)

I say open up the classifieds and look for a late 80's honda accord with around 80k-120k miles on them. Those things ran forever with little to no maintenance(as long as you took care of it!) It may seem like a lot of miles, but those cars put up 200k pretty regularly.

If you like trucks, maybe one of the Toyota trucks from the same years. I dont know why, but I love those things.

Or you could get yourself a real man's car and go for some 60's muscle and pick up an old Nova,Chevelle, Camaro...or whatever appeals to you the most.

Probably not the response you were looking for though

Clumpy
05-22-2004, 03:38 AM
:foundout:

WeVie
05-22-2004, 08:43 AM
If you want to "hook it up" I would buy something for $3000 of $4000. It won't matter what it looks like because you will put rims and more than likely have it painted and all that anyway. Will you be paying the payments? If so and you buy a $20000 car it would be $300 to $400 a month but if you buy something cheap or even cheaper than I said say for $2000 or less that is that much more money you can put into the car not to even speak of the high insurance for a new car for a 16 year old.

iceblizzard69
05-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Get a used car. I just got my first car in April. I looked in the newspaper, online, etc. and got a 1996 Ford Explorer with 54,000 miles on it for $7500. I've worked the last two summers and didn't really spend a lot of money so I paid for part of it and my parents paid for part of it. The car came with leather seats, sunroof, tinted windows, pretty much everthing except for a CD player.

Buying a used car makes a lot more sense for a 16 year old. You will save a lot of money and you can still get a car you really like.

Peebs
05-22-2004, 10:11 AM
I gotta agree with everyone.

20G's on a car for a 16 year old with absolutely no driving experience is a recipe for disaster.

Get something a little used, a little solid and doesn't go very fast.
WHEN you become a experienced driver THEN get something a little sharper and faster.
TOO MANY KIDS around here are killed in accidents, I'm being serious. I also live in a very affluent area and these KIDS are driving brand new Lexus and BMW's and killing or seriously injuring themselves and their friends.
Fast cars + Young age/no driving experience = Disaster.

t2thejz
05-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Yup I got my 5,000 dollar pickup. Gets me place to place and thats what matters. Dont forget that cars need gas and its not cheap either.

iceblizzard69
05-22-2004, 11:50 AM
I gotta agree with everyone.

20G's on a car for a 16 year old with absolutely no driving experience is a recipe for disaster.

Get something a little used, a little solid and doesn't go very fast.
WHEN you become a experienced driver THEN get something a little sharper and faster.
TOO MANY KIDS around here are killed in accidents, I'm being serious. I also live in a very affluent area and these KIDS are driving brand new Lexus and BMW's and killing or seriously injuring themselves and their friends.
Fast cars + Young age/no driving experience = Disaster.

Yeah, in the suburbs, tons of kids have these really expensive new cars. I think it is ridiculous. Most of the kids I know don't have them since I live in Manhattan but I have a use for it and I drive a lot so I got one. Also, my car is perfect for me since it is nice but not too nice so no one is going to try to steal it since I park on the street.

!PapaCrunk81!
05-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Stick with Japanese, especially for your first car. Now when all of youse are done w/ your USA chants, you can have so many miles on it and they still plug away. Quality quality quality. I was just reading Consumer Reports Used Car Index and since you mentioned the Matrix, it had so many high ratings it was scary, especially in reliability. Heck anything by Toyota had awesome reliability. These message boards can give you opinions, but do your research and put your nose down to some magazines, ie Consumer Reports, Motor Trend (mag and online site), just keep on reading the hard facts instead of opinions. Also in this day and age, great mileage should also be in mind (please stay away from SUVs, they are the automobile anti-christs IMO.)
And if you do go with the import route, please please please don't rice it out. Just because one sees Fast and the Furious and it looks, doesn't mean that's what the import crowd is about. Rice is evil, even the fluffy kind.

ThunderCane
05-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree wit the rest of the guys that buying a newer used car will be the best way to go for a 16 year old. My first car was a '75 Ford Granada and I F'ed that car up good LOL.
If you are still set on a new car, this the car I love, the Toyota Prius.
http://www.toyota.com/prius/
I am a muscel head, I have a '85 T-Bird with a 302, and I love it. But I don't drive it much anymore with gas prices. I test drove the Prius and could not believe the low end torque.
What ever way you go, wait till the end of the year and buy 2004, the 2005 models are out and they will make better deals on the 2004 models. And as far as used cars, buy only from a dealer that will give warrenty on it. Stay away from the buy here pay here lots. All thoes cars are rental cars that where trashed or wrecked. If you buy from a private owner, have a good mechanic give the car a good check over.
Good lusk kid!
Damn, parents are buying kids cars. My parents laughed at me when I said I wanted a car. I had to buy the car out right, $350 for a car don't get much LOL.

Peebs
05-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I remember in HS the first person to get her license out of the three friends drove her parents Plymouth Duster. We thought we were the shizzle....
THEN our other friends Grandfather bought her a Toyota Tercel (brand new).
We were even BIGGER shizzle.
Then when it was my turn-my parents were NEVER going to lend me their car and NO WAY were they going to buy me one so I had to save.

The only seniors (we have to be 17 in NY for a full drivers license-16 only gets you a jr. license and you can only drive during the day and with a licensed driver in the car) that drove themselves to school back in the day were the kids who WORKED and could afford their cars.
Now you look into a HS student parking lot and it looks like a highend car dealership :shakeno:

FIN-IN-RI
05-22-2004, 02:33 PM
i say get an SUV and get a 2000 - 01 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED...sweet ride and chicks love it..

Snickersbps
05-22-2004, 03:59 PM
And if you do go with the import route, please please please don't rice it out. Just because one sees Fast and the Furious and it looks, doesn't mean that's what the import crowd is about. Rice is evil, even the fluffy kind.

I can't stress that enough! Please, no on the rice (although, I disagree on the fluffy kind...its tastes pretty good :D) It's okay to make it look nice, lowering/rims/paint and such, but dont go around saying its fast and you're up for a race anytime.

p.s. big time no on the rear spoiler on an import...a small one can be tasteful, but please, not one of those metal kites please :lol:

Prime Time
05-22-2004, 07:40 PM
No, I won't be racing it. I just want it to look nice.

iceblizzard69
05-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Stick with Japanese, especially for your first car. Now when all of youse are done w/ your USA chants, you can have so many miles on it and they still plug away. Quality quality quality. I was just reading Consumer Reports Used Car Index and since you mentioned the Matrix, it had so many high ratings it was scary, especially in reliability. Heck anything by Toyota had awesome reliability. These message boards can give you opinions, but do your research and put your nose down to some magazines, ie Consumer Reports, Motor Trend (mag and online site), just keep on reading the hard facts instead of opinions. Also in this day and age, great mileage should also be in mind (please stay away from SUVs, they are the automobile anti-christs IMO.)

Mileage is important. Sadly, my car has ****ty fuel efficiency. They say that Japanese cars last a long time. The Matrix may get good ratings and stuff, but it is ugly!! I don't think cars like the Honda Civic are that bad but quite honestly I prefer the car I have.

I remember in HS the first person to get her license out of the three friends drove her parents Plymouth Duster. We thought we were the shizzle....
THEN our other friends Grandfather bought her a Toyota Tercel (brand new).
We were even BIGGER shizzle.
Then when it was my turn-my parents were NEVER going to lend me their car and NO WAY were they going to buy me one so I had to save.

The only seniors (we have to be 17 in NY for a full drivers license-16 only gets you a jr. license and you can only drive during the day and with a licensed driver in the car) that drove themselves to school back in the day were the kids who WORKED and could afford their cars.
Now you look into a HS student parking lot and it looks like a highend car dealership :shakeno:

You can drive alone with a Junior License. A Learner's Permit is the first thing you get when you are 16 (only a written test, which is incredibly easy, is required). You can get a Junior License at 16 as long as you take a 5 hour class and your parents say that you drove 20 hours or something like that. New York recently made the rules more strict for young drivers, but we have always been strict compared to Southern states.

Peebs
05-23-2004, 07:53 AM
noooo southern states are easier. My niece got her license at 16 in VA, got her Father to give her the dough for a used Honda CRX and was driving up ALONE :eek: to NY when she was 17 to visit us....
She also once made a U-turn on the Verrazano bridge but I won't get into that.

BUT a jr. License you STILL can not drive at night. That I know hasn't changed.

Peebs
05-23-2004, 07:58 AM
From the NYS DMV website
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c41.htm

JUNIOR DRIVERS

You are a junior driver if you have a junior learner permit or junior driver license. As a junior driver:

You may not drive with more than two passengers under the age of 21 in your vehicle unless they are members of your immediate family or your accompanying driver is a licensed parent, guardian, person "in loco parentis," driver education teacher or driving school instructor.
You and each passenger must wear a seat belt; one per person. Every passenger under age 4 must be in a properly installed child restraint seat.
If you hold a junior permit or a limited junior license, the only passenger allowed in the front seat is your accompanying driver.
Your accompanying driver must be age 21 or older and have a license valid for the type of vehicle you are driving.
Your junior permit or license will be suspended for 60 days if you are convicted of any traffic violation of three points or more, or two violations of two points or fewer. After you receive your license back after suspension, your permit or license will be revoked for 60 days for any violation of three points or more, or two violations of two points or fewer. These 60-day license sanctions will not count towards the minimum 6-month waiting period required before receiving a full-use junior license.

Then there is a table of the times you may drive. A JR. License CAN NOT drive past 9:00 pm.

iceblizzard69
05-23-2004, 09:29 AM
noooo southern states are easier. My niece got her license at 16 in VA, got her Father to give her the dough for a used Honda CRX and was driving up ALONE :eek: to NY when she was 17 to visit us....
She also once made a U-turn on the Verrazano bridge but I won't get into that.

BUT a jr. License you STILL can not drive at night. That I know hasn't changed.

Yeah, that rule hasn't changed. I'm 16 so I know all the rules about junior drivers, which I think are pretty stupid. The worst one is the 60 day suspension for speeding. People aren't going to be better drivers if they can't practice.

I know that Southern states are way easier. Western states are way easier as well. The Northeast is the worst on driving restrictions. :(

WeVie
05-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Here in Virginia you can get a learner's permit at 15 and a license at 16.

Prime Time
05-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Here in Virginia you can get a learner's permit at 15 and a license at 16.

Exact same thing with Florida, and my dad works in DMV, so I got connections ;)

Snickersbps
05-23-2004, 01:58 PM
you can get a learner's permit at 15 in Cali as well, just you have to have it for 6 months (even if your already 16) before you get your Provisional License. Thats the one that wont let you drive with other people under 25 for 6 months, and you cant drive between 12 and 6 am for a year. They're pretty leniant on the night driving, as long as its not 3 am or so.

Yeah, the Provisional sucks in the eyes of the new drivers, but I always thought it was a good idea, and I'm only 20, so I had to be one of the first to get it.

Scrap
05-23-2004, 06:22 PM
I still think the gremlin was a good idea.

Dajesus
05-23-2004, 06:55 PM
We are looking at both new and used, but I am pretty sure we will most likely go new. Since I am getting a job, I really want a car that with my saved up money I can hook up. Put rims on it, tint the windows, lower the car a little bit. Stuff like that.

I didn't read past this post, but I saw you mentioned a Mazda Protege. They have a Mazda Speed Protege that comes stock with pretty much everythin you said besides the tinted windows. I think they are down to about 17k now. I own one and absolutely love it. It comes stock with 17'' racing heart custom mazda speed alloys. 9 kenwood speakers including a MP3 cd player, 450 watt kenwood amp, and 8'' sub. Comes with custom ground affects, sparco custom mazda speed alloy pedals, and shifter, 2 racing heart sway bars one front one rear. All custom racing shocks, struts, and suspension. It has a 2.0L non ford turbo engine. Stock HP is 170 with 161 lbs of torque, but you get a free CPU adjustment that brings you up to 185 and 165. The turbo is also set to underachieve, so with very little money you can adjust the PSI that comes stock at 5lbs to 10 or 11 with out affecting your fuel, and gain about 25-35 HP, and a 15 dollar air filter adds another 25 HP. IT also has a very nice microfiber interirieor, and custom exhaust all factory. I have spent less than $800 on mods after I baught mine, and I am up over 300hp. There isn't a factory V6 or 4 cylinder trubo that touches me, not even the WRX STI. I absolutely love mine, and the best thing about them is they are very rare. I have only sceen 3 on the road, and I just moved from NY to Florida.