PDA

View Full Version : America the great melting pot! What's your lineage?

themole
05-30-2004, 12:58 PM
TT, started this by stating he was Jewish, it got me to wondering about the ethnicity of the members who contribute to this board. Here's mine...German, Irish, English, Creek Indian.

Scrap
05-30-2004, 01:30 PM
100 % American. My ancestors come from different places though.

IMO, If we all traced our roots, we may as well say we are from the Garden of Eden.

The_Philster
05-30-2004, 02:43 PM
German, Irish, English

zonk39
05-30-2004, 04:57 PM
I am a American of Cuban decent.

P4E
05-30-2004, 04:57 PM
English... from Bedfordshire to Dorchester, Mass 1631 (Spencer) and from Wigan to Trenton, NJ 1906 (Barnes)

Dutch... from Amersfoort, Utrecht to Renssalearwyck (now Albany) 1625 (van Kouwenhoven)

Irish... from Castleisland, County Kerry to Wheeling, WV 1892 via Bermuda for 40 years (Kerrisk) and from the village of Nobber :huh: in County Meath, 1871 (Matthews)

Scottish... from unknown location to Wheeling, WV prior to 1840 (Burns/Byrnes)

I'm a total geek about this stuff. The experiences of my ancestors and cousins interest me to no end. I correspond regularly with 3rd and 4th cousins in Australia and New Zealand and cousins here in the U.S. whose most recent ancestor in common with me dates back three centuries. I need help.

TerryTate
05-30-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm part russian, polish, turkish, and some other one....

Jewish....

Peebs
05-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Mole-just to let you know, being Jewish is your religion not your race or country of origin. It's like if you ask a Christian "what are you?" they don't answer "Catholic".

I am 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Russian, 1/4 Romanian, 1/8th Dutch and 1/8th Hungarian. 3 out of 4 of my Grandparents were born outside the US.

And YES my religion is Jewish ;)

iceblizzard69
05-30-2004, 06:07 PM
1/2 Spanish (My father was born in the Dominican Republic but his family originated in Andalucia which is in Southern Spain)
1/4 Irish
1/8 French
1/8 Hungarian

I was born a Catholic but I'm not religious.

themole
05-30-2004, 06:13 PM
English... from Bedfordshire to Dorchester, Mass 1631 (Spencer) and from Wigan to Trenton, NJ 1906 (Barnes)

Dutch... from Amersfoort, Utrecht to Renssalearwyck (now Albany) 1625 (van Kouwenhoven)

Irish... from Castleisland, County Kerry to Wheeling, WV 1892 via Bermuda for 40 years (Kerrisk) and from the village of Nobber :huh: in County Meath, 1871 (Matthews)

Scottish... from unknown location to Wheeling, WV prior to 1840 (Burns/Byrnes)

I'm a total geek about this stuff. The experiences of my ancestors and cousins interest me to no end. I correspond regularly with 3rd and 4th cousins in Australia and New Zealand and cousins here in the U.S. whose most recent ancestor in common with me dates back three centuries. I need help.

P4E...We Mormons, as you probably are familiar, call your affliction "The Spirit of Elijah". Geneoligy is principle in our religion.

themole
05-30-2004, 06:35 PM
100 % American. My ancestors come from different places though.

IMO, If we all traced our roots, we may as well say we are from the Garden of Eden.

While I certainly agree with you Scrap. Here is one to ponder. When Cain was cast out of the Garden of Eden, he went into the land of Nod and took a wife. Who were these people?

themole
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
1/2 Spanish (My father was born in the Dominican Republic but his family originated in Andalucia which is in Southern Spain)
1/4 Irish
1/8 French
1/8 Hungarian

I was born a Catholic but I'm not religious.

I don't know much about other peoples religion, but I have serious doubts that you were born Catholic. You may have been born into a Catholic family but at some point the choice to become Catholic or not... had to be YOURS.

Scrap
05-30-2004, 07:14 PM
While I certainly agree with you Scrap. Here is one to ponder. When Cain was cast out of the Garden of Eden, he went into the land of Nod and took a wife. Who were these people?Good one. She was probably a crack whore. ;)

themole
05-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Mole-just to let you know, being Jewish is your religion not your race or country of origin. It's like if you ask a Christian "what are you?" they don't answer "Catholic".

I am 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Russian, 1/4 Romanian, 1/8th Dutch and 1/8th Hungarian. 3 out of 4 of my Grandparents were born outside the US.

Thanks Peebs. This is a very confusing issue to me. After I read your post I searched "Major Ethnic Groups of the world" and found them listed under country of origin. Israel was listed 80.xx% Jews.

P4E
05-30-2004, 07:53 PM
P4E...We Mormons, as you probably are familiar, call your affliction "The Spirit of Elijah". Geneoligy is principle in our religion.mole... my closest childhood friend lived in Salt Lake City for 8 years, so I would visit the Mormon genealogical libraries when I visited him. I'm not Mormon myself, but...

My full name is Michael Conover Spencer. Three distant but documented cousins were close to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Google the names for your amusement. Peter Wilson Conover headed the militia that guarded Brigham Young after the murder of Joseph Smith and accompanied him from Navoo to SLC. Orson Spencer was the chief theologian to Young and was the first President of the University of Utah. And another Spencer cousin was ONE OF the wives of Brigham Young, Jr.

None of this will get me a ride on the subway, but I still find it interesting to consider what their lives were like.:)

TerryTate
05-30-2004, 08:04 PM

:cooldude:

P4E
05-30-2004, 08:23 PM
:cooldude:
Forget it, TT. Do you really think that saying, "I'm Jewish, too" is going to get you the inside track on the Peebstress? Well, if it does... where do I sign-up?

Peebs needs someone a little older and more experienced, someone less stabile... someone from Jersey. But enough about Wharf. I still think it's me she needs.:D

iceblizzard69
05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't know much about other peoples religion, but I have serious doubts that you were born Catholic. You may have been born into a Catholic family but at some point the choice to become Catholic or not... had to be YOURS.

Well, I was never religious. My parents are both Catholic by blood but aren't religious either. I was never raised to be religious and I chose not to be religious.

LIQUID24
05-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Mexican-American :cooldude:

themole
05-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, I was never religious. My parents are both Catholic by blood but aren't religious either. I was never raised to be religious and I chose not to be religious.

You missed my point again. You CAN'T be Catholic by BLOOD. Every Catholic has had to join the church.

themole
05-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Forget it, TT. Do you really think that saying, "I'm Jewish, too" is going to get you the inside track on the Peebstress? Well, if it does... where do I sign-up?

Peebs needs someone a little older and more experienced, someone less stabile... someone from Jersey. But enough about Wharf. I still think it's me she needs.:D

MY GOSH!!!! What insight. You are so correct, TT is carring the Peebs love connection over to this thread. TT = DOG! :lol:

Dajesus
05-30-2004, 09:38 PM

That isn't exactly right. Yes being Jewish is a religious choice, but it also can be your heritage. Mainly because the Jews were basicly kicked out their country of origin, and forced to migrate through out the continent. That is why it is acceptable to say you are Jewish when speaking of your ethnic group.

I am actully 100% Irish, but I am an American. Unless great great great great great...relatives were raped by english soldiers. Both sides of my family my grandparents came to NY city straight from Ireland. I am pretty much a strerotypical Irish man. Pale as snow, skinny, and love to drink, don't have much of a temper though. As far as religion goes my family is all irish catholic, but I am 110% against organized religion. I think it has been currupted by money, and I don't like the idea of others writing the script of how I live my life. You are stronger by learning from your own mistakes.

Peebs
05-30-2004, 10:40 PM
That isn't exactly right. Yes being Jewish is a religious choice, but it also can be your heritage. Mainly because the Jews were basicly kicked out their country of origin, and forced to migrate through out the continent. That is why it is acceptable to say you are Jewish when speaking of your ethnic group.

I completely disagree.
When someone asks "what are you" I do not answer my religion. I say "Italian, Russian, Romanian etc...". Just because Jews were forced out of their original countries in Europe during the war or fled because of religious persecution they still identify where they came from-Poland, Germany, Russia etc...

Dajesus
05-31-2004, 12:06 AM
I completely disagree.
When someone asks "what are you" I do not answer my religion. I say "Italian, Russian, Romanian etc...". Just because Jews were forced out of their original countries in Europe during the war or fled because of religious persecution they still identify where they came from-Poland, Germany, Russia etc...

I am going back further, yet you did touch on a good point, but many can't trace their heritage back pre-war due to the amount of people who fled, changed thier name, and pulicly denied thier religion. My ex-fiance, and my brother in law are both jewish, and when I asked them the same question they said they were Jewish. I had the same convo with my ex, and I said the same things you are saying, and she said didn't even know exactly where her grandparents were from. She knew they lived in multiple countries in Europe before they came here. I think you are correct it is a religion not a nationality, and no other religion is referred to as an ethnic group, but do to many years of persecution many jews say they are Jewish when asked where they are from.

Dajesus
05-31-2004, 12:09 AM
P4E...We Mormons, as you probably are familiar, call your affliction "The Spirit of Elijah". Geneoligy is principle in our religion.

You are really Mormon Mole? That is shocking to me, but it does explain your commintment to your posts. It also explains why we never see eye to eye.

Peebs
05-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Well the those people are just stupid ;) :tongue:

My Father's paternal grandparents fled Russia. They made a pitstop in England before entering America. Their name was changed (in Ellis Island) and we all assumed we were English. My Great Grandmother did not speak English, only yiddish which made NO SENSE that if "we" were from England HOW could the woman NOT know English, right? Well YEARS and YEARS later my Father asked an Uncle that very question and he replied that we were from Russia yada yada, told the whole story...That's how we learned. OR we would keep thinking we were British with a non-English speaking great grandmother. :confused:
Everyone else spoke of where they came from, all pre-WWII mostly during WWI and to avoid persecution or looking for a better life (or in my Italian Grandfathers case, I believe, we to avoid being drafted in the Italian Army :tongue: )

CirclingWagons
05-31-2004, 12:21 AM
I'm part yankee, kraut, and dane

Clumpy
05-31-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm a total geek. I need help.
:roflmao:

And you thought this would trouble me, your clumpiness? Self-deprecation is my middle name. Well, actually it's Conover. But please allow the rhetorical flourish.

P4E:tongue:

Clumpy
05-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Clumpy is a mutt

Paternal side: my grandfather(surname) was/is Sicilian(Palermo area). My grandmother was born in Warsaw, Poland

Maternal side: my grandfather's surname is Dutch (Netherlands/German border)

My grandmother is English but I do not know what part of England the family is from

Muck
05-31-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm Syrian and I don't know what. So I'm just half Syrian, half American.

Predaphin
05-31-2004, 02:45 AM
both my parents were born in Mexico....I was born in the USA....Im Mexican/American
& Im proud to be an American. God Bless the USA!

Snickersbps
05-31-2004, 04:18 AM
Im about 75% English and 25% Welsh. I use to say I was "whalish" when I was younger til I was laughed at and realized I wasnt part whale :(

My family has been in the States for about 5 generations though, so the only thing left from my ancestors is the easy-tanning skin I have :)

Clumpy
05-31-2004, 04:51 AM
I burn easily :(

Peebs
05-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Funnier than that:
My Uncle used to have a Vacation house in Tunisia. Apparently alot of Sicilians vaction in Africa because it's so close.
Well when my Brother was in Elementary school he said we were African.

Though he and my Mom were the only ones with olive skin and he had wavey black hair that his HS picture he looked more like "Bernardo" from West Side Story than anything else. So I show that picture and just tell everyone he's my Puerto Rican Brother.

themole
05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
You are really Mormon Mole? That is shocking to me, but it does explain your commintment to your posts. It also explains why we never see eye to eye.

Why would me being LDS shock you Dajesus? I think I told you over a year ago to not take what I post on this board to seriously.

"it also explains why we never see eye to eye" I HOPE that me being Mormon and you being hedonistic

:D would have nothing to do with us not seeing eye to eye, and would only be a difference in our politics. The scriptures say "agree with your adversary quickly". My Red Blooded American political point of view says "Slap my adversary flat on his A$$, before he does damage and to guard my liberties jeliously". My battle is to find a happy median between those two points of view.

themole
05-31-2004, 10:28 AM
I burn easily :(

You burn easy! That confirms it. Clump, for some reason I picture you in my minds eye as looking like "Mark OShea", you know...the red headed snake hunter that gets biten by his quarry all the time. :lol: I don't know why I have you pictured this way unless it's because your avatar is red and what you do for a living certainly generates the color red in the minds eye.

Clumpy
05-31-2004, 10:55 AM
I have brown hair and brown eyes :mad:

I inherited my mother's fair skin :(

themole
05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
mole... my closest childhood friend lived in Salt Lake City for 8 years, so I would visit the Mormon genealogical libraries when I visited him. I'm not Mormon myself, but...

My full name is Michael Conover Spencer. Three distant but documented cousins were close to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Google the names for your amusement. Peter Wilson Conover headed the militia that guarded Brigham Young after the murder of Joseph Smith and accompanied him from Navoo to SLC. Orson Spencer was the chief theologian to Young and was the first President of the University of Utah. And another Spencer cousin was ONE OF the wives of Brigham Young, Jr.

None of this will get me a ride on the subway, but I still find it interesting to consider what their lives were like.:)

P4E, That's so interesting. Peter Wilson Conover was a "Danite", I believe they were called, as a special calling in the church for the protection of it's leaders, like todays secret service. As I understand it, in ancient Israel, the tribe of "Dan" was charged with the protection of the nation of Israel during the great exodus. That is why the latter-day version was named after them, for the protection of church leaders during the exodus from Nauvoo to the Utah Territory. Porter Rockwell was another. You may have seen the TV movie "Avenging Angels" Charlton Heston, played Brigham Young, and Tom Berrenger, played Porter Rockwell. The Spencer name is still quite prevalent. When I joined the church, Spencer W. Kimbell was the President and he was named after some of the Spencer family. We have also had a few of your distant cousins pass through here while serving their mission. You have a nice heritage!

themole
05-31-2004, 11:18 AM
I have brown hair and brown eyes :mad:

I inherited my mother's fair skin :(

It could be the constant midnight shift that makes you so fair skinned. LOL

themole
05-31-2004, 11:26 AM
I have to take my wife to the beach, I'll talk to y'all later. She likes to lay out in the sun and cook. I will take my surf rod and see if I can make this trip a productive one.

Hellion
05-31-2004, 03:01 PM
I watched this Dude on TV and he said that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.:hitself:

Except Bills fans, their from Uranis.:billfan:

Baltic and French Canadian Indian. But all :patriot::troops::usa:

P.S. I had to spell it Uranis because it won't let me spell it Uranus. why can't you spell Uranus?

themole
05-31-2004, 05:08 PM
I am going back further, yet you did touch on a good point, but many can't trace their heritage back pre-war due to the amount of people who fled, changed thier name, and pulicly denied thier religion. My ex-fiance, and my brother in law are both jewish, and when I asked them the same question they said they were Jewish. I had the same convo with my ex, and I said the same things you are saying, and she said didn't even know exactly where her grandparents were from. She knew they lived in multiple countries in Europe before they came here. I think you are correct it is a religion not a nationality, and no other religion is referred to as an ethnic group, but do to many years of persecution many jews say they are Jewish when asked where they are from.

This may shed some light. Everyone was correct.

Jew ( j›) n. 1. An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture. 2. A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism. 3. A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

dolphan39
06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
I am an American Jew ;) I am second generation American. My family (grandparents) are from Poland and Russia.

Peebs, so you are really a Shadchen as my grandma would say :D

Prime Time
06-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Peruvian :D

Dajesus
06-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Peruvian :D

So if I said I was from Ecuadoor(sp?) would that piss you off? In my fraternity we had a peruvian and an ecuadooian they were always yelling at each other. I never knew the 2 countries had so much haterrid for each other. They were involved in like a 10 year war for 16 miles of mountianous territory. Seems ceazy to me.

Hellion
06-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I watched this Dude on TV and he said that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.:hitself:

Except Bills fans, their from Uranis.:billfan:

Baltic and French Canadian Indian. But all :patriot::troops::usa:

P.S. I had to spell it Uranis because it won't let me spell it Uranus. why can't you spell Uranus?

Ok now we can spell Uranus. :rolleyes: :lol:

themole
06-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok now we can spell Uranus. :rolleyes: :lol:

:shakeno: I don't believe I'd put any money on Dajesus. :D

Dajesus
06-05-2004, 10:37 AM
:shakeno: I don't believe I'd put any money on Dajesus. :D

I can spell cheap shot. :cry: