PDA

View Full Version : Former President Reagan Passes Away

Mako
06-05-2004, 05:07 PM
WASHINGTON - Ronald Reagan (news - web sites), the cheerful crusader who devoted his presidency to winning the Cold War, trying to scale back government and making people believe it was "morning again in America," died Saturday after a long twilight struggle with Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites), a family friend said. He was 93.

AP Photo

He died at his home in California, according to the friend, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The White House was told his health had taken a turn for the worse in the last several days.

Five years after leaving office, the nation's 40th president told the world in November 1994 that he had been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer's, an incurable illness that destroys brain cells. He said he had begun "the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life."

Reagan body was expected to be taken to his presidential library and museum in Simi Valley, Calif., and then flown to Washington to lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda. His funeral was expected to be at the National Cathedral, an event likely to draw world leaders. The body was to be returned to California for a sunset burial at his library.

Reagan lived longer than any U.S. president, spending his last decade in the shrouded seclusion wrought by his disease, tended by his wife, Nancy, whom he called Mommy, and the select few closest to him. Now, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton (news - web sites) are the surviving ex-presidents.

Although fiercely protective of Reagan's privacy, the former first lady let people know his mental condition had deteriorated terribly. Last month, she said: "Ronnie's long journey has finally taken him to a distant place where I can no longer reach him."

Reagan's oldest daughter, Maureen, from his first marriage, died in August 2001 at age 60 from cancer. Three other children survive: Michael, from his first marriage, and Patti Davis and Ron from his second.

Over two terms, from 1981 to 1989, Reagan reshaped the Republican Party in his conservative image, fixed his eye on the demise of the Soviet Union and Eastern European communism and tripled the national debt to $3 trillion in his singleminded competition with the other superpower.

Taking office at age 69, Reagan had already lived a career outside Washington, one that spanned work as a radio sports announcer, an actor, a television performer, a spokesman for the General Electric Co., and a two-term governor of California.

CirclingWagons
06-05-2004, 05:09 PM
thought he was dead for 10 years now

Disgustipate
06-05-2004, 05:13 PM
thought he was dead for 10 years now

Mods..Dont ban him for the comment, ban him for being too stupid to use Milkman Dan, and for an entirly too large sig. The comment was probabaly the best thing he's posted.

CirclingWagons
06-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Mods..Dont ban him for the comment, ban him for being too stupid to use Milkman Dan, and for an entirly too large sig. The comment was probabaly the best thing he's posted.
still looking for ANYTHING but a homeristic post from you...that would be an endless and useless quest though

inFINSible
06-05-2004, 05:21 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing, CW...:confused: ;)

Chisel Monkey
06-05-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm at a loss. It's a sad sad day.

Maggot Brain
06-05-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm Maggot Brain and I do not approve this message.

NYJ
06-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I thought it was funny :rolleyes:

Pope Shula XIV
06-05-2004, 06:08 PM
My thoughts are with the Reagan family, even though he was not a good president.

t2thejz
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes:

SkapePhin
06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Rest in Peace Reagan

themole
06-05-2004, 06:41 PM
My thoughts are with the Reagan family, even though he was not a good president.

Actually...he's the best president we've had since "TR".

RIP Ronnie, and thanks for a marvelous 8 years and for bringing down the EVIL EMPIRE.

Disnardo
06-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Farewell to what I believe was one of America's greatest heroes... :patriot: :usa:

NCFINFAN38
06-05-2004, 06:49 PM

I agree totally. He was not just a good president, he was the best president in the last hundred years. He brought us back to respectability after Carter ruined us.

President Ronald Reagon did more to help this country by standing up for values and against the liberal agenda than any president ever. Bush is also a great president but has the twisted idea that compromise will satisfy the left's hatred for morality. If he would look more at doing things the way Reagon accomplished things, and quit trying to get along so much he could be remember as Reagon will be......a true American hero.

Btw, yes I know what you were trying to say, but instead of letting you make a fool out of yourself I took you comment the way I wanted.

pgsmelt
06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
My thoughts are with the family and I thought he was the best president we had in the last half of the 20th century. Communisim is dying on the vine because of Reagan and this world is healing from the wound. Fare the well.............

darkoak
06-05-2004, 07:13 PM
I hate to say it but Reagan's presidency looked pretty good in comparison to that nut-case that's in there now.

4Dfins
06-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Ronnie made this country proud again and stronger than ever... He is in my mind the best prez in my 39 years. RIP and God Bless!!!

Finsflurry
06-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Bush is also a great president

I stopped reading there because you lost all credibility with that statement.

CirclingWagons
06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Bush is also a great president

I stopped reading there because you lost all credibility with that statement.
uh-oh, spaghetti-os :eek:

please god let's not start with this political bull****. RIP captain ron, that's that.

t2thejz
06-05-2004, 07:39 PM
uh-oh, spaghetti-os :eek:

please god let's not start with this political bull****. RIP captain ron, that's that.
Agreed

dolfanreal69
06-05-2004, 07:42 PM
God bless the Reagan family. I will always remember the president with a big heart and cowboy up attitude.

TerryTate
06-05-2004, 08:13 PM
this is bound to go into the political/war forum sooner or later, but i have been keeping it here for the day as long as the political talk doesnt exist....

CharlestonPhan
06-05-2004, 08:28 PM
rest in peace Mr. President. Four more years, Four more years, Four more years... if only.

modestophinfan
06-05-2004, 08:30 PM
not a real big loss really. hes the greatest of all time if you think spending us into the hole was great. Clinton was probably the best of the 20th Century, or Roosevelt. They both took struggling economies and made them better. Just my two cents, dont block me mods. :shakeno:

PhinstiGator
06-05-2004, 08:45 PM
this is bound to go into the political/war forum sooner or later, but i have been keeping it here for the day as long as the political talk doesnt exist....
I certainly hope that people can refrain from voicing their political bigotry and offer a word of kindness.

I remember his undying optimism and his courage...

"...I believe when people think of his courage, they think first of what happened that day in March 1981 when he was shot. He tried to walk into the hospital himself but his knees buckled and he had to be helped. They put him on a gurney, and soon he started the one-liners. Quoting Churchill, he reminded everyone that there's nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without effect. To Mrs. Reagan, it was, "Honey, I forgot to duck." To the doctors, "I just hope you're Republicans." To which one doctor replied, "Today Mr. President we're all Republicans." Maybe he caught Reagan's courage too." (Peggy Noonan)

My thoughts and prayers are with his family...and may God bless America. :patriot:

iceblizzard69
06-05-2004, 09:03 PM
RIP

If you want to talk about Reagan's politics, then do it in the Political/War Forum. I don't think this is a good place to do so.

Section126
06-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Ronald Reagan was a great man.

South Korea, Poland, The caucuses, Russia, The Phillipines, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Grenada owe their freedom to that man.....

He will for ever be that man that made us believe in that "Shining city upon the hill."

Pope Shula XIV
06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Actually...he's the best president we've had since "TR".

RIP Ronnie, and thanks for a marvelous 8 years and for bringing down the EVIL EMPIRE.

Actually the Soviet Union collapsed because Communism doesn't work. But I guess if you consider record unemployment, a horrible economy, out of control government spending and and a skyrocketing deficit, poor environmental and education policies, and wasted money on defense systems that didn't work the marks of a great president, then I guess he has to be the best in American History.

Section126
06-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Actually the Soviet Union collapsed because Communism doesn't work. But I guess if you consider record unemployment, a horrible economy, out of control government spending and and a skyrocketing deficit, poor environmental and education policies, and wasted money on defense systems that didn't work the marks of a great president, then I guess he has to be the best in American History.

Nothing you posted is true.......so sad.

Chisel Monkey
06-05-2004, 10:15 PM

You have a wonderfull grasp of left wing revisionist history. Maybe you can tell us how Clinton Strenghtend our country , honored the Office of President and was a truthfull and honorable man.

Pope Shula XIV
06-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Ronald Reagan was a great man.

South Korea, Poland, The caucuses, Russia, The Phillipines, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Grenada owe their freedom to that man.....

He will for ever be that man that made us believe in that "Shining city upon the hill."

Don't forget Saddam Hussein. The Reagan Administration provided weapons and intelligence to the man whose forces have just killed 800+ of our brave soldiers. Don't take my word for it. Check out the National Security Archives:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/press.htm

dolfanreal69
06-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Guess what the man is dead. If you like him or not respect the fact the man reached the highest office of this land. Something most of us could only dream of. Not bad for an old cowboy.

Chisel Monkey
06-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Don't forget Saddam Hussein. The Reagan Administration provided weapons and intelligence to the man whose forces have just killed 800+ of our brave soldiers. Don't take my word for it. Check out the National Security Archives:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/press.htm

Before you run with the Hook in your mouth, it's Not the N.S.A. it's a propaganda left wing "sounds like" site. But I'm sure you knew that because you seem very intellegent, and well informed. :roflmao:

Pope Shula XIV
06-05-2004, 10:21 PM
You have a wonderfull grasp of left wing revisionist history. Maybe you can tell us how Clinton Strenghtend our country , honored the Office of President and was a truthfull and honorable man.

:roflmao:

Bill Clinton was fifty times the president Reagan was. This country was great when Clinton was in office and that kills you dellusional republicans. You were all so obssessed with a blow job that you could have cared less about Bin Laden. I hope you all get ulcers when this joke of a president gets booted out of office in November.

Chisel Monkey
06-05-2004, 10:25 PM

Bill Clinton was fifty times the president Reagan was. This country was great when Clinton was in office and that kills you dellusional republicans. You were all so obssessed with a blow job that you could have cared less about Bin Laden. I hope you all get ulcers when this joke of a president gets booted out of office in November.

Well, case in point but.... Clinton had the chance to Strike Bin Laden... but he couldn't be found while the intellegence was still good. (He was in the White House). Ironically, M.L. was in the Whitehouse (signed in) and the same time. Coincidence??????

dolfanreal69
06-05-2004, 10:30 PM
If that moron kerry gets elected we all will have ulcers. He will do the same old hand it to the people who do not work for it and watch them never improve. Ron Reagan never blinked when communism was a threat. Countries feared America,because they knew Ronnie wouldnt back down. As for Bill he like most of his ilk brought disgrace to the highest office in this land. Any person that would sacrifice his honor for self indulgeance has no class and for that matter is weak in the very sense of the word.

PhinstiGator
06-05-2004, 10:49 PM
I remember the Challenger disaster and President Reagan's address to the nation. I was working in central Florida and looked up in the sky...seeing the distant after effects of the explosion.

"...The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God." President Reagan

DolFan31
06-05-2004, 11:03 PM
First off, my sympathies go to the Regan family.

Second, whether or not you agree with Regan's politics(which I didnt), show some respect, and remember his accomplishments at these times instead of playing politics. Whether or not you believe he pulled the rock under the Soviet Empire that led to its downfall, and anything like that, respect the man.

RIP Ronald Regan, 40th President of the United States of America. :patriot:

NCFINFAN38
06-05-2004, 11:35 PM

Please inform me of one good thing Slick Willie did for this country. Please explain what positive effect anything Clinton did helped our economy. If Clinton was such a great economic genuis then why did he put a cap on utilities in CA before leaving office, when anyone who took 7th grade economics knows govermental set caps leads to shortages. Or was he purposely setting up the next president? We all know what happened.

If he was such a good leader why did he run scared the first time we got a chopper shot down when everyone involved wanted to go back and finish the job? Or could it just be that the whole episode was nothing more than a smoke screen to get everyones mind off of Monica??

Bill Clinton did a lot for our country all right. He made us the laughing stock of the entire world. If Clinton does in fact have any talent at all short of being a good liar, it would have something to do with a cigar.

Noland
06-06-2004, 12:23 AM
RIP Reagan

I don't know much about Reagan because i was just born when he took office. thoughts are with family.

I am not a Rep. ot democrat but i lean more to the democrat way i guess. But I do know that I could get a job anytime I wanted when Clinton was in office and cheap gas.

I am not a Bush fan I just assume to have Ross in office that to have Bush. Oil man Bush is going to take everything from the poor man to give to the rich. The difference between Bush and Clinton is Clinton screwed Monica Bush screwed the country or aleast the poorman anyway

Pope Shula XIV
06-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Please inform me of one good thing Slick Willie did for this country. Please explain what positive effect anything Clinton did helped our economy. If Clinton was such a great economic genuis then why did he put a cap on utilities in CA before leaving office, when anyone who took 7th grade economics knows govermental set caps leads to shortages. Or was he purposely setting up the next president? We all know what happened.

If he was such a good leader why did he run scared the first time we got a chopper shot down when everyone involved wanted to go back and finish the job? Or could it just be that the whole episode was nothing more than a smoke screen to get everyones mind off of Monica??

Bill Clinton did a lot for our country all right. He made us the laughing stock of the entire world. If Clinton does in fact have any talent at all short of being a good liar, it would have something to do with a cigar.

:shakeno:

I don't even know how to respond to such an ignorant and uninformed post. With the exception of the California utilities cap, everything you posted was incorrect.

I almost vomited with the crap you were spewing about Dubya. Talk about liars! That man is the biggest liar on the face of the Earth. The lies he told to the American people to try to justify the invasion of Iraq are reason enough for impeachment. But the cowardly way he blamed his obssession with invading Iraq on George Tenet is sheer cowardice. But I shouldn't be surprised. This was the same George W. "Chickenhawk" Bush that had every string pulled for him to stay out of Vietnam. I know you're probably chomping at the bit right now to say something about how Bill Clinton went to England during Vietnam. Big difference. Bill Clinton was entirely against a war we never should have fought in the first place. George W. Bush was all for the Vietnam War...as long as it was the poor white kids, blacks and Hispanics doing the dying.

So to all you flag waving right wingers, take a good look at yourselves in the mirror the next time you hear the body count over in Iraq. Your beloved leader is directly responsible for their deaths. Yes, the truth hurts.

Pope Shula XIV
06-06-2004, 12:28 AM
RIP Reagan

I don't know much about Reagan because i was just born when he took office. thoughts are with family.

I am not a Rep. ot democrat but i lean more to the democrat way i guess. But I do know that I could get a job anytime I wanted when Clinton was in office and cheap gas.

I am not a Bush fan I just assume to have Ross in office that to have Bush. Oil man Bush is going to take everything from the poor man to give to the rich. The difference between Bush and Clinton is Clinton screwed Monica Bush screwed the country or aleast the poorman anyway

Well said. Bush is all for protecting his rich friends and supporters.

Pope Shula XIV
06-06-2004, 12:30 AM
If that moron kerry gets elected we all will have ulcers. He will do the same old hand it to the people who do not work for it and watch them never improve. Ron Reagan never blinked when communism was a threat. Countries feared America,because they knew Ronnie wouldnt back down. As for Bill he like most of his ilk brought disgrace to the highest office in this land. Any person that would sacrifice his honor for self indulgeance has no class and for that matter is weak in the very sense of the word.

When you say, "Any person that would sacrifice his honor for self indulgeance has no class and for that matter is weak in the very sense of the word.", you must be referring to George W. Bush's drug induced AWOL binges during the Vietnam? Or was it his DWI? Or his father pulling strings to keep him out of Vietnam?

Noland
06-06-2004, 12:37 AM
I heard Bush was on heavy drugs and his children like to party. Clinton got chewed out for smoking weed once which he said that he did'nt inhale even if he did inhale it is his past personal life. If Clintons daughter like to party like Bush twins do she would be a whore.

I don't understand Afganistan bombs us we attack Iraq I still don't understand.
Oh yes I do Iraq has got oil wells for bush and his rich buddies Afganistan don't.

Pope Shula XIV
06-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Before you run with the Hook in your mouth, it's Not the N.S.A. it's a propaganda left wing "sounds like" site. But I'm sure you knew that because you seem very intellegent, and well informed. :roflmao:

Jesus...lol...everything that doesn't jive with your "reality" is left wing propoganda. George Washington University happens to be a very esteemed insitution, but I'm sure you knew that. It's a documented fact that the Reagan administration was very friendly with the Hussein regime and provided weapons and intelligence to them because they felt that "my enemy's enemy is my friend", which is quite naive.

Do you remember the Iran-Contra Scandal? Or is that just another left wing hoax??

dolfanreal69
06-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Sure, i hate to say it that any man who gives up his honor is weak.This is not about GWB it is about Ronald Reagan, and if your too young to remember it was good policy in those days to fund both sides in that war. it kept them killing eachother and off our back. Plus the fact that most of the people who did not approve of the vietnam war tried to hold out and if they had the means too they would have too. The fact any man has a troubled past doesnt bother me as much as a man who repeatedly makes the same mistake, and embarasses his family and this nation.

ohall
06-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Well said. Bush is all for protecting his rich friends and supporters.

You may not agree with the political party he was a member of, but not many ppl would question the greatness of Ronald Reagan and what he did for this country, and for every American and most ppl of the world. For goodness sakes most Russians love the man!

Can we not do this at this time? The man is dead, can you at least let the ppl who respected him have their moment?

Oliver...

The_Philster
06-06-2004, 10:28 AM
You may not agree with the political party he was a member of, but not many ppl would question the greatness of Ronald Reagan and what he did for this country, and for every American and most ppl of the world. For goodness sakes most Russians love the man!

Can we not do this at this time? The man is dead, can you at least let the ppl who respected him have their moment?

Oliver...
Agreed...he was hardly the perfect President but I remember there were many people, myself included, who would've happy to see a third term

themole
06-06-2004, 10:34 AM

The 80+ years it thought it was working certainly brought a lot of misery to millions. Ronald Reagan, put them on the ropes by causing them to spend, spend, spend to keep up with our weapons programs. He put them in the poor house, the world Bank would no longer do business with them.

You were only eight years old when all this started, all you know is what some slanted magazine article or left wing teacher told you. I did just fine starting a new family and working a union job at that time.

God Bless you President Reagan, for saving the free world.

Section126
06-06-2004, 04:42 PM
My favorite Reagan moment.....(Summit)

Reagan: "What is so hard to understand? You remove your short range missles in East Germany and we will remove ours from West Germany..."

(Reagan gets up, and storms toward the door.)

Gorby: "Mr. President.....what else could I have done?"

Reagan: "You could have said "YES" the first time I made the offer.....This meeting is over......."

upstart
06-06-2004, 05:44 PM

let me guess 15-24 years old :roflmao:

this is what happens when you stop teaching history in the State run Schools.

t2thejz
06-06-2004, 07:41 PM
The problem is Teachers do teach history but they only teach up to the 1960's in most cases and when they do teach past that its always their liberal twisted view of it

BigFinFan
06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
I am proud to say that I joined the Navy while President Reagan was in the White House.

He was the best President that I had the Honor of serving under - Clinton was the worst!

And in response to this quote:

The lies he told to the American people to try to justify the invasion of Iraq are reason enough for impeachment.

Honestly, where do you get your information? Stop believing everything that you read or hear on CNN.

Did you know that we have a National Security Agency? "The National Security Agency/Central Security Service is America’s cryptologic organization. It coordinates, directs, and performs highly specialized activities to protect U.S. information systems and produce foreign intelligence information."

Do you think that President Bush had a dream that Iraq had WMD's and he just woke up from his dream and decided to invade/attack? I guarantee you that Iraq has/had WMD's and we were ordered to invade/attack due to credible evidence.

Just because CNN says there are no WMD's doesn't mean that it is true.

I have said this in numerous forums before - You only know what the press tells you, the press only knows what the government tells them. If the average American Citizen knew what truly went on behind closed doors, they would totally freak out!

themole
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
The problem is Teachers do teach history but they only teach up to the 1960's in most cases and when they do teach past that its always their liberal twisted view of it

t2thejz..When I went to school which was a long time ago, the text books dedicated chapters to our founding fathers and the Constitution. Now all you see is paragraphs on a few important figures and many not even mentioned.

This I know! American history is being rewritten and remolded by political correctness.

For this reason, stay just as far as you can from a democrat and hold your republican reprsentitives feet to the fire on this issue.