PDA

View Full Version : sharing internet connection

Phinzone
06-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Hey, I have XBOX Live, and I was wondering if this set up was possible, and if so, how do I do it?

I have a lynksys wireless router, and an XBOX that I KNOW live works on. You can buy wireless box's for XBOX live, but I'd rather save the money if I can.

I have 4 computers on the wireless network that work fine. Can I use a cross over cable and connect my XBOX to my computer, share the connection, and have the XBOX access the internet that way? I tried setting up a network, but I don't know if I did it right. I also tried to share the connection, but it only let me select the wirelss on, or the ethernet card (which the cross over cable plugs into) to use as a shared connection. Thus far I've been unsuccessful getting live to work in this manner, however the XBOX site says it's a legitimate hook up. Any idea's on how to get this? Thanks in advance.

BigFinFan
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
The easiest way to use ICS is to put two NIC's in the primary server. The first NIC will go to the Internet via your Cable or DSL Modem. The Second NIC goes to your internal network. This sets up your primary computer with the two NICs as a Gateway for your internal network. It aslo acts as a Firewall and a DNS Server.

Dajesus
06-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I may have read this wrong, but if every other computer is wireless then why don't you have the router and modem near the x-box and hard wire the x-box in to the router. Then the rest of the comps can still be online wirelessly.

Phinzone
06-09-2004, 04:56 AM
I may have read this wrong, but if every other computer is wireless then why don't you have the router and modem near the x-box and hard wire the x-box in to the router. Then the rest of the comps can still be online wirelessly.

My router is in the office, we still have wireless computers, but I don't really want to move my XBOX and TV down to the office ya know? I'd much rather hook it up to the computer that sits a mere 8 feet from it.

BigFinFan
06-09-2004, 11:16 AM
You just need to add the 2nd NIC to the computer that is 8ft away. Then enable ICS on that computer

Phinzone
06-09-2004, 02:30 PM
You just need to add the 2nd NIC to the computer that is 8ft away. Then enable ICS on that computer

What exactly is NIC? I've tried using ICS to add home networks, but it still wont' access the internet. I've tried sharing my connection, etc. i'm lost :shakeno:

BigFinFan
06-09-2004, 03:21 PM
NIC = Network Information Card

Step by Step Instructions - Multiple Platforms (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics)