PDA

View Full Version : Need info on DVD players

Clumpy
06-08-2004, 01:40 AM
I'm gonna get into the 21st century and buy a DVD player. My budget allows for up to $150. Need info about specs, brand, etc

Thanks

:cp:

P4E
06-08-2004, 02:18 AM
I'm gonna get into the 21st century and buy a DVD player. My budget allows for up to $150. Need info about specs, brand, etc

Thanks

Don't let this get around, Clumpy, but the inside word is there's about to be a HUGE resurgence in the use of Betamax technology. Put your money into anything you can find that plays it.

Oh yeah, ... and Go Bills!

:D

Clumpy
06-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Oh yeah, ... and Go Bills!

:D

You've finally realized the error of your ways :up:

Clumpy
06-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Don't let this get around, Clumpy, but the inside word is there's about to be a HUGE resurgence in the use of Betamax technology. Put your money into anything you can find that plays it.

:mad:

Scrap
06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Honestly, I'm not up to par on what brands are best. However, I bought a dvd player about a year and a half ago from Wally World for 119 bucks with surround sound, and it's done me just fine. I've been quite satisfied with it. It's now going for about 89 bucks at Wally World.

BigFinFan
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Clumpy, you need to determine your TV's "Connectablity" (Component, RCA, or S-Video).

I recommend the Sony Progressive-Scan DVD Player with CD-R/RW, MP3 and JPEG Playback. This item can be purchased at best buy for 89.99. Remember to purchase "quality cables" for your DVD Player as well.

Sony DVD at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1076628352163&skuId=6308729&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product)

Phinzone
06-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Clumpy, you need to determine your TV's "Connectablity" (Component, RCA, or S-Video).

I recommend the Sony Progressive-Scan DVD Player with CD-R/RW, MP3 and JPEG Playback. This item can be purchased at best buy for 89.99. Remember to purchase "quality cables" for your DVD Player as well.

Sony DVD at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1076628352163&skuId=6308729&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product)

Agreed on this one. Youw on't find a whole lot of difference in quality between the big name brands such as Sony, JVC, Alpine, Phillips, etc. However I've found that Sony will read damn near anything I put in it, while other name brands will have difficulty when putting in DVDr's etc.

Sony is truely quality and will runt he same price as most of the name brands, maybe an extra 5 or 10 bucks or so. Just don't go cheap and buy an off name brand DVD player for 60-70 bucks. Stick with the big names and you should be fine.

Clumpy
06-09-2004, 02:56 AM
My TV and VCR are both Sony and have had them nearly 10 yrs. VCR has problems ejecting VHS tape at times but still works fine. (I unplug and hit "eject" and the tape comes out :D )

Sony it is :up:

Thanks y'all

themole
06-09-2004, 10:25 PM
My TV and VCR are both Sony and have had them nearly 10 yrs. VCR has problems ejecting VHS tape at times but still works fine. (I unplug and hit "eject" and the tape comes out :D )

Sony it is :up:

Thanks y'all

If your equipment is that old and you don't have your stereo amp hooked up to it also, don't worry about purchasing progressive scan. Anything around 50-90 dollars should fill your needs. Unless you intend to "upgrade" to HDTV in the near future if so, do homework here "www.avsforum.com".

SMadison29
06-10-2004, 06:36 PM
I recommend that you save up an additional $300 & get an VCR/DVR player.

Justasportsfan
06-11-2004, 08:43 AM
I recommend that you save up an additional $300 & get an VCR/DVR player.
I would stay away from that unless space is an issue. Should one function break , it would cost more to fix than buy another one and if it's in the repair shop, you won't have anything in the meantime. vcr's and DVD's are so cheap should one break in a couple of years buying another one wouldn't be a problem.

Progressive scan DVD's are only usefull if you TV is HD. Being that clumpy doesn't own a DVD, I would suspect his sony is still one w/ mannual channels :D

Clumpy
06-11-2004, 10:08 AM
:(

dean_siu
06-14-2004, 01:42 PM
If your TV is that old, you may need to get a converter thing in order to run a DVD player on it. When I first got a DVD player, I had a TV thats about 2 years older than yours and I had to spend about $25 at Radio Shack to utilize it.

Justasportsfan
06-15-2004, 09:40 AM
If your TV is that old, you may need to get a converter thing in order to run a DVD player on it. When I first got a DVD player, I had a TV thats about 2 years older than yours and I had to spend about $25 at Radio Shack to utilize it.the converter does however reduce the quality to vcr quality.