PDA

View Full Version : Man this annoys me, are people really so sensitive?

darkmistress
06-09-2004, 07:31 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_046cf7282470e1e600ee.html

:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: Talk about the lack of news, these recent events involving Seau and Parcells have been blown way out of proportion. Why does everyone have to be so touchy??? :confused:

BlueFin
06-09-2004, 07:43 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_046cf7282470e1e600ee.html

:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: Talk about the lack of news, these recent events involving Seau and Parcells have been blown way out of proportion. Why does everyone have to be so touchy??? :confused:
We had a pretty long thread on this subject recently when the Seau comments came out, your right, its ridiculous.

Superself
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
I think its good that people clean up their act and not disrespect someone.
These are sensitive issues. If it doesn't pertain to you then move on because there is nothing for you to understand.

darkmistress
06-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I was sure there would have been a thread on it before, I just saw this article online...I thought everyone was over it already, obviously not :rolleyes:

darkmistress
06-09-2004, 08:25 AM
I think its good that people clean up their act and not disrespect someone.
These are sensitive issues. If it doesn't pertain to you then move on because there is nothing for you to understand.
But that's the point, it wasn't directed at any one individual, and neither comments were meant as insults, and it was obvious that they weren't. It's been blown way out of proportion.

touborg
06-09-2004, 08:51 AM
It's been blown way out of proportion

Absolutely.

Ace420
06-09-2004, 09:09 AM
You hit on the reason when you said that there was no REAL news. The media makes mountains out of molehills because they need to try and spark some interest in order to attract attention.

ltfinfan
06-09-2004, 09:15 AM
they have to fill a 24 hour day. its pretty hard trying to keep everyone interested that long so they have to blow everything out of proportion.

lotion
06-09-2004, 09:22 AM
You're absolutely right. I bet the ************** are behind it all.

Mod note: A serious, thoughtful discussion of a sensitive social issue is welcome. A comment like yours is not. Post with at least a modicum of judgment -- or do not post.

P4E

phins054
06-09-2004, 09:27 AM
In the Parcells case, he even said ahead and behind the comment that it was in no way intended to offend anyone...People need to toughen up a bit and get thicker skin.

If someone was old school enough to say that crackers or honkeys had no talent i would just :roflmao:

Things need to be taken into context more...JMHO. :evil:

SmokeyPhinz
06-09-2004, 10:47 AM
With the FCC cracking down on everyone mainly b/c of superwhor* Janet Jackson, nobody can say anything. Though I do believe JR and Parcells would still have to apologize, just b/c everyone is so sensitive about everything. One thing that gets to me, take Chris Rock for example. Real funny dude, but half his act he cracks on white people. Same for Dave Chappelle. Great TV show, yet he makes fun of us whites as well. And black people complain about racism? Makes sense.

darkoak
06-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm sure if a Dolphin said they hated Mexican food there would be an inquiry. Don't read too much into these articles, the media like stirring up trouble.

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Here's the same article published in an alternate universe...

The Cowboys head coach, speaking after a Dallas minicamp session, was talking about quarterbacks coach Sean Payton when he said Payton was "going to have -- no disrespect for the black people -- but what we call 'Nig*er plays.'"

"As in, Parcells said, "surprise things." You know, such as how those slaves were able to escape and run away to Canada. Those guys were pretty sneaky."

Now, imagine the backlash if THAT'S what everyone read in the paper this morning. That's all you have to think about when you hear, "You guys are too sensitive." It's about respect and tolerance. Let's face it. If Parcells used a derragatory slang towards a sect of American people rather than foreigners, there would be at least 6 merged threads flaming Parcells.

This thread seems destined for the Political/War forums...

Agua
06-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Here's the same article published in an alternate universe...

Now, imagine the backlash if THAT'S what everyone read in the paper this morning. That's all you have to think about when you hear, "You guys are too sensitive." It's about respect and tolerance. Let's face it. If Parcells used a derragatory slang towards a sect of American people rather than foreigners, there would be at least 6 merged threads flaming Parcells.

This thread seems destined for the Political/War forums...

What's the difference between saying "Jap" and "Brit"? It's just a shortening of the formal English name of the people? Would you be so upset if he'd said a "Brit" play?

darkoak
06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
What's the difference between saying "Jap" and "Brit"? It's just a shortening of the formal English name of the people? Would you be so upset if he'd said a "Brit" play?
Exactly.

dolfanreal69
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree that some people sit around trying to find a reason to be mad about things. i recently was in Hawaii and toured the USS Arizonia. Being a veteran myself i did not know how i would react. Sure it was before i was born,but when i steped on the memorial and read the names of all our young men who were murdered in that sneak attack. It made a grown man have tears in is eyes. Parcells was alive when this happened. Imagine how you felt when the towers were hit. So if anyone brought disrespect to the word JAP, or japaneese, it was them selves. Anytime you want to feel sorry for someone of that era, which was what parcells was refering to, look up the history of Pearl Harbor and not just the movie. Then cry foul. If you think Bill was refering to the people of japan now days, your off your rocker. I mean he was saying the term in referance to the suprise attack of the 1941 japaneese. The very same Japaneese who do not deserve respect! I mean it is like fourty years from now saying it is not nice to use the terrorists in a bad way or refer to them as guttless or sneaky.

ltfinfan
06-09-2004, 12:21 PM
so how would a "cracker play" run

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 12:22 PM
No, I wouldn't. It's different because the word Jap originated as a derragatory word...similar to the way that people make joking references to Jews.

darkoak
06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
No, I wouldn't. It's different because the word Jap originated as a derragatory word...similar to the way that people make joking references to Jews.
After time these things pass. The French were called frogs. My family has French roots and everyone laughs when we say we're acting like frogs.

KYfinfan
06-09-2004, 12:53 PM
If Parcells used a derragatory slang towards a sect of American people rather than foreigners, there would be at least 6 merged threads flaming Parcells.
As long as it was directed towards any minority in this country then yes, it would still be an issue. This is turning into a country of whiner, cryers, and moaners. "He said something that hurt my feelings....please make him stop"

Boo friggity hoo! People need to get a backbone and quit being such sniveling babies.

Justasportsfan
06-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I bet Pracell's owned a Sony at some point that broke on him.

Hellion
06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I said this in another thread, what about Yank or Jew, those seem to be ok, who's to judge? The media? How about Aussie? Can I say that? Or did that become PI?

Agua
06-09-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry man, I can see Jr.'s comment as being offensive than Parcell's and I thought the uproar over Jr. was ridiculous.

A person from Denmark is a Dane, a person from Great Britain is a Brit and a person from Japan is a Jap. That's just the way it is.

Dol-Fan Dupree
06-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I am curious if Japanese people actually find the word Jap offensive. Medal of Honor is a game that sold REALLY well in Japan. That game is full of the word Jap. Not only that, you play white guys who kill Japanese, while saying things like "damn Japs" and "Lets kill some Japs". In fact I was at a game testing facility and the only people who felt uncomfortable that the Japanese testers were testing this game where the white managers. The Japanese tester didn't care at all.

Agua
06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I said this in another thread, what about Yank or Jew, those seem to be ok, who's to judge? The media? How about Aussie? Can I say that? Or did that become PC?

Apparently you can't refer to anyone by their national origin unless you state "a person from (country x)".

Justasportsfan
06-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I am curious if Japanese people actually find the word Jap offensive. . I don't think so. Just don't call them sushi or sashimi.

Superself
06-09-2004, 01:33 PM
With the FCC cracking down on everyone mainly b/c of superwhor* Janet Jackson, nobody can say anything. Though I do believe JR and Parcells would still have to apologize, just b/c everyone is so sensitive about everything. One thing that gets to me, take Chris Rock for example. Real funny dude, but half his act he cracks on white people. Same for Dave Chappelle. Great TV show, yet he makes fun of us whites as well. And black people complain about racism? Makes sense.

WTF does this has to do with racism....here you are talking about two comedians and therefore racism doesn't exist?!!
How ignorant can you be!!!!

Ace420
06-09-2004, 02:09 PM
WTF does this has to do with racism....here you are talking about two comedians and therefore racism doesn't exist?!!
How ignorant can you be!!!!
I think he was trying to make the assertion that the sensitivities aren't equallly distributed. About how minorities can say certain things about us pigmentally challenged folks that are blatantly racist and nobody cares but white people can get into trouble for saying alot less.

IMO, it all comes down to individuals. Some people seem to look for things to get pissed off about and take everything out of context and use it to fuel their own hatred. The really sad thing is how the media plays into it and uses it to make money. If they can make statements seem to be more malicous then they really were then they might sell more newspapers or have better ratings on the 6 o'clock news. They don't care if they are fueling something much bigger. The WORST thing is that, IMO, it will never end.

P4E
06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
IMO, it all comes down to individuals. Some people seem to look for things to get pissed off about and take everything out of context and use it to fuel their own hatred. The really sad thing is how the media plays into it and uses it to make money. If they can make statements seem to be more malicous then they really were then they might sell more newspapers or have better ratings on the 6 o'clock news.This issue is obviously complex, and hence no brief observation is going to address all its dimensions. But what you are expressing right here strikes me as dead-on.

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
As long as it was directed towards any minority in this country then yes, it would still be an issue. This is turning into a country of whiner, cryers, and moaners. "He said something that hurt my feelings....please make him stop"

Boo friggity hoo! People need to get a backbone and quit being such sniveling babies.
For me, it has nothing to do with "crying." It's about having respect for all people. It's disrespectful, and no one likes to be disrespected.

For example, if I were to respond to your post by calling you names, being immature, etc., you would defend yourself and respond to it (and probably get a few good shots in by doing so ;)). That's not to say you're whining or a crybaby....you just don't like being disrespected. Can you understand my perspective now? :)

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 02:18 PM
I bet Pracell's owned a Sony at some point that broke on him.
:lol:

PhinPhan1227
06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
"Jap" is just a shortening of Japanese. Now, calling someone a "Nip", despite the fact that it is also a shortening of Niponese, IS a derogatory term. Just as calling someone a "Jew" is not derogatory, but "Kike" is. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm of Jewish descent, so shut up already. Bottom line is that people should recognize that there are SLIGHTLY more important things to worry about in this world than whether Bill Parcells calls a play a Jap play...sheesh!!

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 02:37 PM
"Jap" is just a shortening of Japanese. Now, calling someone a "Nip", despite the fact that it is also a shortening of Niponese, IS a derogatory term. Just as calling someone a "Jew" is not derogatory, but "Kike" is. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm of Jewish descent, so shut up already. Bottom line is that people should recognize that there are SLIGHTLY more important things to worry about in this world than whether Bill Parcells calls a play a Jap play...sheesh!!
Was the "shut up already" comment really necessary? Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to take some subjects a little too personally. I don't agree with you, but it's not that serious bro...we simply agree to disagree.

My point was...

It's not necessarily the word, but the intent behind it. Some people use the word Jew just as disparagingly as if they were saying Kike, so it still applies at times.

PhinPhan1227
06-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Was the "shut up already" comment really necessary? Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to take some subjects a little too personally. I don't agree with you, but it's not that serious bro...we simply agree to disagree.

My point was...

It's not necessarily the word, but the intent behind it. Some people use the word Jew just as disparagingly as if they were saying Kike, so it still applies at times.

Certainly. I have heard people say "white" and make it into a derogatory word. But the heart of the issue is that words only have the power we give them. I'm Cuban. I could choose to take offense every time I've heard the word Spic. I choose not to because I refuse to give that person any power over me. And really, that's the reason for the "shut up already". I'm sorry if you felt that was directed at you, because it wasn't. It was directed at the PC crowd who give these terms more power than they would have if just ignored. I feel the same way about most racial issues. Human nature will eventually overcome the ignorance and idiocy of racism. Afterall, the genetic drive is to mix bloodlines, not to keep them seperate. But whenever someone plays the race card it just serves to remind people of the differences, rather than the similarities. Just think...if we could allow one generation of kids to never hear the term white or black, racism would end for all time. Freaky thought isn't it?

Dolfan954
06-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Certainly. I have heard people say "white" and make it into a derogatory word. But the heart of the issue is that words only have the power we give them. I'm Cuban. I could choose to take offense every time I've heard the word Spic. I choose not to because I refuse to give that person any power over me. And really, that's the reason for the "shut up already". I'm sorry if you felt that was directed at you, because it wasn't. It was directed at the PC crowd who give these terms more power than they would have if just ignored. I feel the same way about most racial issues. Human nature will eventually overcome the ignorance and idiocy of racism. Afterall, the genetic drive is to mix bloodlines, not to keep them seperate. But whenever someone plays the race card it just serves to remind people of the differences, rather than the similarities. Just think...if we could allow one generation of kids to never hear the term white or black, racism would end for all time. Freaky thought isn't it?
Now that you put it that way, I completely understand your views. It makes sense not to take offense to certain words. By doing that, it shows that you think on a higher level than mere words; however, there's a fine line between not letting words affect you and letting someone disrespect you verbally, so there's positives and negatives with both arguments.

I would like to think that human nature will overcome all of this, but I have my doubts. Many people's minds aren't open enough (or, in some cases, not developed enough) to be able to look past the color of their skin or nationality and accept everyone for who they are.

Oh, and the "shut up" thing? My bad...just a misunderstanding..we're cool.

BigFinFan
06-09-2004, 03:34 PM
There are too many sensitive people in America. We have created a society of candy-asses.

I hope that I did not offend anyone!

Agua
06-09-2004, 04:34 PM
"Jap" is just a shortening of Japanese. Now, calling someone a "Nip", despite the fact that it is also a shortening of Niponese, IS a derogatory term.

Thank you for mentioning that. I had an argument on Dolfantalk last year with a fellow who called me a racist bigott for using the term nipponese. It just so happened someone else on that board had a wife who was Japanese. He confirmed that Nippon is simply a word that refers to Japan that the Japanese themselves use (although these had some other word that I can't remember which they refer to themselves by).

This GD hunting for a F'ing insult in every term is ridiculous.

As a previous poster in this thread stated so well, if there is any negative connotation to the word "Jap", the Nipponese brought it on themselves.

Superself
06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
I think he was trying to make the assertion that the sensitivities aren't equallly distributed. About how minorities can say certain things about us pigmentally challenged folks that are blatantly racist and nobody cares but white people can get into trouble for saying alot less.

IF that was his point, I disagree with it. Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both famous for what they do and that gives them exposure. However there are more than just Chris and Dave poking fun at minorities and Whites. Lets be fair here. In addition, we are talking about comedians. They get paid to make people laugh. If what they are saying isn't funny, they won't get paid.

IMO you can't use a comedian as an argument for racism being nonexistant in America. Racism isn't a laughing matter.
It is a sensitive issue and PC disrespect is harassment...maybe not to some individuals, but to many it is.
Funny thing is that a lot of anti PC people use that as an excuse to not call themselves a racist.

Agua
06-09-2004, 05:05 PM
IF that was his point, I disagree with it. Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both famous for what they do and that gives them exposure. However there are more than just Chris and Dave poking fun at minorities and Whites. Lets be fair here. In addition, we are talking about comedians. They get paid to make people laugh. If what they are saying isn't funny, they won't get paid.

IMO you can't use a comedian as an argument for racism being nonexistant in America. Racism isn't a laughing matter.
It is a sensitive issue and PC disrespect is harassment...maybe not to some individuals, but to many it is.
Funny thing is that a lot of anti PC people use that as an excuse to not call themselves a racist.

I don't *think* the point was that "racism doesn't exist". I think the point is that there is a TERRIBLY hypocritical double standard here. People of western european ethnicity are entitled to the SAME standard of respect as everyone else. You can not, nor can anyone else, make a plausible argument why it should be any other way.

PhinPhan1227
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't *think* the point was that "racism doesn't exist". I think the point is that there is a TERRIBLY hypocritical double standard here. People of western european ethnicity are entitled to the SAME standard of respect as everyone else. You can not, nor can anyone else, make a plausible argument why it should be any other way.

On that note I heartily agree. I find it ridiculous that the same people who will cry foul over a racial slur directed at a black person have no problem using the same tone when referring to a white person. Hatred is hatred, no matter who is giving and who is recieving.

themole
06-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry man, I can see Jr.'s comment as being offensive than Parcell's and I thought the uproar over Jr. was ridiculous.

A person from Denmark is a Dane, a person from Great Britain is a Brit and a person from Japan is a Jap. That's just the way it is.

And speaking of "CRACKERS", I'm a "CRACKER". A "FLORIDA CRACKER".

.3. Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a poor white person of the rural, especially southeast United States.

This definition simply... isn't... true. The term "Cracker" originated from the cattlemen of Ga. and Fl., that used a cow whip to make a "cracking sound" over the cattles head in order to help drive the cattle to its destination. The "cracker" was a rugged, hard working individual, a "Mans man". A "Cracker" is also a native born son or daughter of the states mentioned with ancestory dating back generations. We honestly accept the term with honor.

PhinPhan1227
06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
And speaking of "CRACKERS", I'm a "CRACKER". A "FLORIDA CRACKER".

.3. Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a poor white person of the rural, especially southeast United States.

This definition simply... isn't... true. The term "Cracker" originated from the cattlemen of Ga. and Fl., that used a cow whip to make a "cracking sound" over the cattles head in order to help drive the cattle to its destination. The "cracker" was a rugged, hard working individual, a "Mans man". A "Cracker" is also a native born son or daughter of the states mentioned with ancestory dating back generations. We honestly accept the term with honor.

Lol...and in Texas they take "Redneck" with honor since it implies a working man...that being said, if someone who was NOT a redneck got into the face of someone who was and threw that term out they would probably recieve an a$$ whoopin. Heck, EVERY derogatory term has some basis in fact, or is just a bastardization of a mundane term. Again...these terms only have the power we allow them to have.

KYfinfan
06-10-2004, 10:18 AM
For example, if I were to respond to your post by calling you names, being immature, etc., you would defend yourself and respond to it (and probably get a few good shots in by doing so ;)). That's not to say you're whining or a crybaby....you just don't like being disrespected. Can you understand my perspective now? :)
You know, it wouldn't bother me a bit if you called me a name. I wouldn't cry about it like most or demand an apology. I would respond but it wouldn't be by calling you a name.

Being from KY I guess I should be offended when someone calls someone else a redneck? That's what we are labeled as, in a derogatory manor. Why isn't that a big deal? If Parcells had a play called a redneck play, do you think anything would have been said? Of course not.

PhinPhan1227
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
You know, it wouldn't bother me a bit if you called me a name. I wouldn't cry about it like most or demand an apology. I would respond but it wouldn't be by calling you a name.

Being from KY I guess I should be offended when someone calls someone else a redneck? That's what we are labeled as, in a derogatory manor. Why isn't that a big deal? If Parcells had a play called a redneck play, do you think anything would have been said? Of course not.

Parcells: "Ok boys, this play is called Redneck Right. Here's how it goes...the whole offense lines up on the Right because the left is fully of pinko commie ***$. On the snap, the WR's will run up to the sidelines and start looking for a close relative to date and possibly marry. the RB and QB will split down the middle to the 4 cows which have been brought on the field and will proceed to tip them all over. The rest of the team will get stupid drunk and proceed to get a BBQ going in an old bathtub which is sitting on cinder blocks...Now go get into your Wranglers and lets practice...oh...and anyone who bothered to get his degree after being drafted has to sit this play out, stinkin college boys!!" :D

themole
06-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Parcells: "Ok boys, this play is called Redneck Right. Here's how it goes...the whole offense lines up on the Right because the left is fully of pinko commie ***$. On the snap, the WR's will run up to the sidelines and start looking for a close relative to date and possibly marry. the RB and QB will split down the middle to the 4 cows which have been brought on the field and will proceed to tip them all over. The rest of the team will get stupid drunk and proceed to get a BBQ going in an old bathtub which is sitting on cinder blocks...Now go get into your Wranglers and lets practice...oh...and anyone who bothered to get his degree after being drafted has to sit this play out, stinkin college boys!!" :D

AND!!!! Don't touch the SHEEP! The SHEEP are MINE! :roflmao:

CirclingWagons
06-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Crackers
Podunk(more a diss on the lifestyle)
Rednecks
Honkies
Ni**ers
Coons
Jiggaboos
Spearchuckers
Moon Crickets
Porch Monkies
Kikes
Sheenies
Hebes
Polocks
Krauts
Micks
Ruskies
Nips
Zipperheads
Chinks
Gooks
Slopes
Charlie
Spics
Wetbacks
Beaners
Wops(with-out papers ;) )
Greaseballs
Guineas
Goombas
Dagoes
******s
Flamers
Cakeboys
Fudgepackers
Pillowbiters

and the French.

There, I said 'em all, hide your children! :eek:

DolFan31
06-10-2004, 01:07 PM

:lol: :roflmao:

BigFinFan
06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
I thought that KY and TN were Hillbillies.

Mole, what part of FL are you from? I was born and raised in Lakeland.

BigFinFan
06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Best quote from a movie:

"There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on ******s, kikes, wops or greasers. Here, you are all equally worthless."

GYSGT Hartman - Full Metal Jacket

themole
06-10-2004, 03:07 PM
I thought that KY and TN were Hillbillies.

Mole, what part of FL are you from? I was born and raised in Lakeland.

I'm in Nth Fl., Palatka, located on the St. Johns River between St. Augustine & Gainsville.

My wifes first cousin "Bill Galloway" offensive Line coach for the Dreadnaughts "Lakeland High" just retired at the end of this year. Polk County has OUTSTANDING athletic programs.

BTW, I would like to tell you that I salute you for your service to our great nation. :patriot:

PhinPhan1227
06-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm in Nth Fl., Palatka, located on the St. Johns River between St. Augustine & Gainsville.

My wifes first cousin "Bill Galloway" offensive Line coach for the Dreadnaughts "Lakeland High" just retired at the end of this year. Polk County has OUTSTANDING athletic programs.

BTW, I would like to tell you that I salute you for your service to our great nation. :patriot:

Yeah...but dude...he's a squid!!...Just teasin' BFF...the Army appreciates you guys moving our gear around for us...the Air Force can't handle our big guns... :D

themole
06-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Best quote from a movie:

"There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on ******s, kikes, wops or greasers. Here, you are all equally worthless."

GYSGT Hartman - Full Metal Jacket

Until you become a United States Marine.

KYfinfan
06-11-2004, 12:23 AM
AND!!!! Don't touch the SHEEP! The SHEEP are MINE! :roflmao:
We prefer cattle they don't put up as much of a fight.