PDA

View Full Version : Premium Membership Open!

FinHeavenAJ
06-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Hello All:

Over the last year, FinHeaven & Co has grown significantly in many aspects. Our message board alone has grown tremendously, growing from 1,624 members in May of 2003 to 4,114 members now... a 2,490 difference! In this year alone, almost a full six months in, we have 1,254 new members. If that's not growth... I'm not sure what is. However, do we, the staff, stop for a second and say, "Let's slow down..." No... we are continually working on ways to improve the site and making it better and more known. And trust me, just as we had plans last year... we have many other plans this year.

Now, granted this growth would not have happened without the staff; however, the Premium Members have truly made this progress possible. You see, Premium Membership (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/faq.php?faq=support#faq_premium) is a way to give support to FinHeaven & Co because ad revenue simply does not cover all the costs that we incur. Moreover, Premium Members help with ideas for earning more revenue and marketing. Lastly, the Premium Members are involved with the site. They are informed of our plans with the site. They are kept up to date on what we have in mind. Recently, for example, they were involved in choosing a design for the t-shirts. I personally valued their opinion very much... and it showed in the final design.

So, what are some benefits of being a Premium Member? Well, besides what I previously mentioned... there are a couple more benefits. For example, you will get a discount on all FinHeaven & Co merchandise. There is no clear cut discount; however, it's usually at the cost of the product plus shipping.

Another benefit is the space a Premium Member has on the forums and gallery. Below is a table that shows the differences...

A "Regular User"
Forum: Attachments 2 MBs
Forum: PM Storage 50 messages
Forum: PM Max Recipients 5 users
Photo Gallery: Space 786k (.75 MB)
Photo Gallery: Maximum Upload .5 MB
A "Premium Member"
Forum: Attachments 15 MBs
Forum: PM Storage 100 messages
Forum: PM Max Recipients 15 users
Photo Gallery: Space 15 MBs
Photo Gallery: Maximum Upload 1 MB

Also available will be free web space. We will give you your own website, which will be in the format of username.finheaven.com. You can use this web space for pictures, wallpaper, avatars, etc. In addition, if you have the knowledge, you may receive FTP access. (10MBs of space) In addition, you will receive your own username@finheaven.com email account. You can use this account for anything. These "perks" are available on request only... since not everyone wants their own webspace... or email.

Next, when the FinHeaven & Co Football Pool opens, each Premium Member will be guarenteed to have a slot. If we decide to go with Fantasy Football, the same will apply as well.*
* Please note: We are 99% sure we are going with the Fantasy Football, we are simply waiting to hear back from a couple of people.

Finally, there will be several Premium Member only contests... which can range from free tickets, gift certificates, to jerseys.

So, what's the cost? The cost of being a Premium Member is $84 a year. However, do not fear... the $84 can be paid monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. While supplies last, if you pay the full $84, you can receive a free FinHeaven & Co t-shirt and one window decal. If you pay semi-annually, you may receive one window decal.

So, if you're interested in supporting FinHeaven & Co and would like to be an integral part of the site this is definitely for you.

If you would like to start your membership today, there are a couple of options.

First, you can send a check/money order (made out to Andrew Tatum) to:

FinHeaven & Co
PO Box 46425
Tampa, FL 33647

If you send a check/money order, PLEASE put your username in the memo field. If you are paying Annually, also please include a shirt size.

Or, instead of a check/money order, you may send payments via PayPal to webmaster@finheaven.com

Thank you for your interest in supporting FinHeaven & Co. I assure you that this will be yet another successful year!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Again, THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum
Webmaster/Founder

PS: If you choose not to take advantage of the Premium Membership, please do not feel left out. We will always keep our eyes and ears open to new suggestions, no matter who they are by. We will not treat any member differently.

NYFinFan27
06-12-2004, 02:06 PM
For 84$ taking advantage of?? I understand how some people are helpng out the site by doing this, but taking advantage of???

Muck
06-12-2004, 03:41 PM
You don't have to become a Premium Member if you don't wish to. You'll still be able to enjoy this site free of charge. And I'm not really interested in playing a game of semantics. But look at it this way. Suppose you win one of the raffles for free tickets to a game. You're already getting more than your money back.

This site is very expensive to run. Especially for a couple of young guys. We're simply trying offer ways to help us cover the cost of keeping this site open.

SkapePhin
06-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I might look into this later.. I could really use the webspace for some future football related graphics endeavors (If I ever get around to refining my flash skills.. which are minimal at the moment.)

And I would like to aid in keeping this site operating and helping you all to biggie size your meal next time you go to Wendy's if at all possible ( :wink: You guys arent on the South Beach Diet are ya?)

But unfortunately for the moment, 84 dollars is a bit steep, seeing as I find memberships to adult sites at 40 to be too much as well.... What would would it break down to quarterly?

Question: Do Premium members automatically become like Board Members (of a company) or something? Do we get modding priviledges and the like? I could use an ego boost on occasion. :p

And Muck, I really need to get around to helping you with that Backrive thing you asked for.. I JUST found your pm from like 3 months ago recently.

sbh1602
06-13-2004, 12:44 AM
But unfortunately for the moment, 84 dollars is a bit steep, seeing as I find memberships to adult sites at 40 to be too much as well....
:roflmao:

ZOD
06-13-2004, 04:07 AM
For 84$ taking advantage of?? I understand how some people are helpng out the site by doing this, but taking advantage of???

Would it be more to your liking if 4000 members each gave a dollar? You will not. They will not. It's 84 bucks for those that would volunteer.

If you think that's too steep for your wallet, click the donate tab in FinheavenAJ's signature and enjoy knowing you've done something positive with your silent contribution.

Zod owns fantasy football!

NYFinFan27
06-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Would it be more to your liking if 4000 members each gave a dollar? You will not. They will not. It's 84 bucks for those that would volunteer.

If you think that's too steep for your wallet, click the donate tab in FinheavenAJ's signature and enjoy knowing you've done something positive with your silent contribution.

Zod owns fantasy football!
Donate :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Good one

WharfRat
06-13-2004, 06:48 PM

Would you prefer that everyone uses your logic (or lack thereof), and the site goes under? Then where would you post? :confused:

Forgive my sarcasm, but this site does not make a profit... where do you think the money to run it comes from? Don't believe me? Try maintaining a site of this magnitude using strictly your own out-of-pocket funds, and let me know how you make out. :shakeno:

SkapePhin
06-13-2004, 06:50 PM

Why dont you go root for the Jets or something? :mad:

Silent Hippy
06-13-2004, 07:43 PM
is there a chance that this site will be shut down if they dont make enough $$$??????

Muck
06-13-2004, 08:41 PM
is there a chance that this site will be shut down if they dont make enough $$$??????

Sure. Without sufficient $$$, the site goes under.

The cost of maintaining a site of this size is considerable. Before we had Premium Memberships, A.J. pretty much funded the site out of his own pocket. A high school kid funding the site out of his own empty pocket. Two years ago, we nearly shut down. The Premium Members saved the site. And they are responsible for what you see today.

Remember, this site doesn't make a profit. Premium Members know this, as they are privy to our bottom line. And that is not nor has ever been our goal (profit). Our goal is to bring you the very best Miami Dolphins site on the web without personally going broke in the process.

FinHeavenAJ
06-14-2004, 12:18 AM
I just want to stress that, like George and Jon have pointed out... this site doesn't make a profit. If it did believe me I would not be asking for donations and offering the Premium Membership. Surely I hope that one day I don't have to rely on the Premium Members; however, at the current time that is the path I have to take.

So, will the site go under without funding? Absolutely, just like any business this costs money (over $2,500 a year).

In any case, if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask. I thank you for your interest...

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

JJ777
06-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Just a suggestion and maybe its already in place and I didnt notice but I think the DONATE button/link should be more prominent on the homepage. I just sent in a donation and maybe Im an idiot but I really had to dig to find the button that lead to the Paypal donation link.

WharfRat
06-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Personally... I LOVE the idea of a fantasy football league here. a few of us shot over to yahoo for one or two last year, but I think with the proper direction, we could host it here. I've been in a "paper league" for several years now and we use StatsWorld for the stat updates, etc.... www.statsworld.com. I think it's very possible, provided we get one or two folks to act as "commish", we could pull off a premie member fantasy league with no problem. However, we have to work fast, time is running out.....

ZOD
06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Why dont you go root for the Jets or something? :mad:

Nah, I think we might have made a little mistake here. It's easy to forget even after AJ pointed out that there have been alot of new members come along here recently. So the skeptism is not unwarranted I guess for a newcomer. I guess it would serve as the best explaination of "why donate" just to use my example.

I come across this site last year after futile attempts for conversation among board members of various message boards. Quite frankly, all I found was trash talk and people attempting to "one up" each other for their virtual reputation :rolleyes: It wasn't conversation at all.

Upon my arrival here I noticed that the site was almost always moderated. The drivel that would destroy actual conversation is promptly removed. Although I have never met a single member I come to appreciate the various "voices" that would be heard. At first it was just a few who chimed in at a constant pace but more and more I've seen those "voices" drown among a larger group. So goes growth I guess.

Nonetheless with that growth I have come to recognize that this is the place where the voice of the fan is heard. Whether it be a reporter that feels his colleague has been wronged. Whether it be a wife of a player that has heard clamoring about the players ability. Whether it be a guy in Miami just relaying what he saw on local TV. Whether it be a person in the ticket office sharing information. Whether it be a guy that just bumped into a player. THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE THE FAN IS HEARD.

Now what do I know about the people here? Absolutely nothing. I know there feelings about the Dolphins. That's all I came here for. We are the people who talk football 365 days a year. We are the cutting edge of Miami Dolphin fans. If it's to be heard, we know it.

Seeing as I live 10 hours away and own season tickets I believe that this team is important to me. It's important enough to me that I wish to talk about them on a daily basis. That is what is provided here for me. A group that wishes to conversate about the same thing that I wish too. Unfortunately in my local area I could conversate about 5 minutes with my average friend on the subject and then they bore. Sure it's an escape but I enjoy it. What's it worth? Sh*t, I don't know. I think it's worth a whole lot more than what I've paid.

What have I paid? I paid a hundred dollars when I thought I "had a plenty". I had just sold my house and bought a new one. Did I miss a hundred dollars in my down payment? Hell no! I put down 35,000. Will I do the premium membership again? Sooner or later. Premium membership might not be an every year occurence but I'll try. It's what I feel that I can do at the time. Hell, I've got two teenagers.

That is all AJ has ever asked for, "whatever you can do." He wanted to send me a shirt and I said don't bother. I'm receiving all the effort he and the admins are putting in already. If you don't see the effort......Excuse me for being impolite but you're clueless.

I could go on and tell you about the random thoughts that I just pull out the air. It generates conversation on topics I wish to discuss. Some "feel me", some don't. But the avenue to pursue the conversation exists. It exists as a result of the diligence of a few. I appreciate that. I hope you do too.

To the conservative minded that would ask "why give?" I ask for it. In those premium membership conversations that have been refered to.......I'm the only conservative prick saying, "you've got to charge for that" to no avail. AJ and most of the staff are always on the side of those who don't earn money. They know the membership and they don't want to push anyone to the side. ME? I'm charging for something. So come on! I need another prick in the conversation. I'm tired of being the lone wolf.

If you want an example....Check out the fantasy football idea. These guys want to host fantasy football and all the statistics (I think). It's a relatively new conversation. But check yahoo, NFL.com, Espn, or any other site and I bet they are not considering giving it away. As a result of previous conversations, I know AJ is considering it :rolleyes:

Trust the prick. Your skeptism is unwarranted.

Dbergan
06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Nah, I think we might have made a little mistake here. It's easy to forget even after AJ pointed out that there have been alot of new members come along here recently. So the skeptism is not unwarranted I guess for a newcomer. I guess it would serve as the best explaination of "why donate" just to use my example.

Outstanding post ZOD.....I have been on the fence ref membership but your post summed up my thoughts 100% and has thrown me "over the fence". This site rocks...no amount of money can pay for the enjoyment of those overseas who experience solid posts by phinfans....i.e. FANS! I just hope we can keep the Larry Tates and Mucks engaged for the long haul because they make this site a blast!!

Cheers,

DB

Clumpy
06-14-2004, 11:43 AM
If I can be a premium member, then many of you can as well :up:

Silent Hippy
06-14-2004, 11:50 AM
wat all do the premium members get for merchindise??????

FinHeavenAJ
06-14-2004, 01:59 PM
ZOD,

Thank you for all the kind words, I wish I could really say more... but I can't because I'm on my lunch break at work. In any case, what ZOD is saying is true. As I've said many, many times before our wishes aren't to rely strictly on the Premium Members. We hope that someday we can rely on advertising revenue or something else. When will that day come? I really don't know, but rest assured Muck and I are working very hard to get towards that.

Until this day comes though, Premium Members are the backbone of FinHeaven. Without them, the site is essentially nonexistant. However, at the same time, we don't want to "force" premium membership by making commentary, news, etc exclusive... that would be crazy. However, we do limit things such as photo gallery space, etc because that essentially costs money to run (hard drive space). So, it comes all around.

I will say this also... the fantasy football is now in the works and everything is going as planned. There will be many sub-leagues; however, there will be ones strictly for Premium Members. In return, the Premium Member sub-league will have larger prizes because it's only fair.

In closing, as ZOD said... we're asking for whatever you can do. If you can't do the Premium Membership thing, not a problem... But, if you can send $5 or any other amount... it's something! A little something contributes more than nothing at all.

So... In closing part two, thanks to everyone that has contributed to the site. I don't think you'll ever realize how essential you are to the site. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Again, if anyone has any questions... please ask. Oh yea... THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

HiddenChambers
06-14-2004, 02:05 PM
I am a new member as of today but i have been reading this site for years. I would be willing to drop a couple thousand dollars to this site to make it an even stronger project this site has alot going. A.J. is a genius and if funded properly we can have a beutiful fantasy league for premium members ticket give aways air time who knows what the future holds for this site it has come so far and the true die hard fans will follow the steel resolve of this site the true premium members will step up. I see finheaven having a broadcasting team live from pro player years from now i have visions about this site and i want to be apart of it all.

dolfan87
06-14-2004, 02:42 PM
If folks who are complaining about the $84 in one lump sum, just spread it out quarterly, or pay monthly.

Let me ask you this, what would you miss more, the $84 bucks, or the finformation you receive from this site, along with all the comments, and friendships?

You don't know what you got till it's gone people.

Gram

dolfan87
06-14-2004, 02:43 PM
BTW, I pay the $84 just like the rest of you. ;)

WharfRat
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
BTW, I pay the $84 just like the rest of you. ;)

As do I...

ZOD... I can't tell you how incredibly insightful and upstanding that post was!

ZOD
:allhail:

canadainfin-fan
06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Money well spent :D

P4E
06-15-2004, 03:42 AM
My last three contributions were for $30, $84 and $74. $188 total, and I constantly scroll thru the threads to answer questions, help folks and make sure the basic rules are followed. Why? Cuz this is a fun, fantastic and informational site that's totally worth supporting till it hurts a bit.

Please consider becoming a Premium Member. This site really needs that kind of support.

Muck
06-15-2004, 09:08 AM
I'll be throwing down a few hundred this week. We've got something needs to be taken care of right now.

Good post Zod. I expect nothing less from the Ruler of the Universe.

ZOD
06-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Is my virtual reputation still intact? :groucho:

Ohiophinphan
06-21-2004, 06:43 AM
The check is in the mail

WharfRat
06-21-2004, 11:44 AM
The check is in the mail

Outstanding!!! All 4000 of us appreciate it!! :up:

Pink_Dove
06-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Premium members would have access to a fantasy league...
Would the winner win some $$$?
I know it would be another incentive for me to join if say all premium members participating forked in 5$ before the season starts and the winner got the pot...or divide it 65%, 25% and 10% for the top 3
Also dolfan87, I think unfortunately, you've chosen the wrong time to plead your case...End of June is probably the worst time to be a football fan, therefore most current threads are about topics we've been discussing since the start of the offseason...there is not much information to play with apart from predictions and speculation (and that's mostly done with)...Once we get into the meat of training camp and the start of the season, the site will heat up and I believe users will become more premium hungry than they are now...
Also, June marks the start of the summer, I know as a student, summer is THE most exciting season because the sun comes out and most people go on vacation or have some plans...Summer springs eternal hope...
And of course, all the traveling or vacation eats up money...It's a bit like the stock exchange, the best months are traditionnaly between October and Februarym the rest of the year is mundane and your chances for profit become slimmer...
I realise you didn't chose the time on purpose but just something I thought I'd add for you not to be discouraged...

cmax13
06-21-2004, 08:31 PM
dudes,

i just got confirmation of my $84.00 well spent via paypal. thanks for the great site. is there an information package that lets me know what the benefits are. i think i like the finheaven email address best, but i'd like to know what the others are.

cmax13

FinHeavenAJ
06-21-2004, 10:20 PM
dudes,

i just got confirmation of my $84.00 well spent via paypal. thanks for the great site. is there an information package that lets me know what the benefits are. i think i like the finheaven email address best, but i'd like to know what the others are.

cmax13
Thanks for your support! I have sent you a PM, so keep a lookout! :cooldude:

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Dbergan
06-21-2004, 10:58 PM
dudes,

cmax13

Cool....Didnt know you could go the paypal route. Just did it myself. For those interested, make sure you send to Andrews hotmail e-mail account since it's registered.

ZOD
06-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Premium members would have access to a fantasy league...
Would the winner win some $$$?

Also dolfan87, I think unfortunately, you've chosen the wrong time to plead your case...End of June is probably the worst time to be a football fan, therefore most current threads are about topics we've been discussing since the start of the offseason...there is not much information to play with apart from predictions and speculation (and that's mostly done with)...Once we get into the meat of training camp and the start of the season, the site will heat up and I believe users will become more premium hungry than they are now...
Also, June marks the start of the summer, I know as a student, summer is THE most exciting season because the sun comes out and most people go on vacation or have some plans...Summer springs eternal hope...
And of course, all the traveling or vacation eats up money...It's a bit like the stock exchange, the best months are traditionnaly between October and Februarym the rest of the year is mundane and your chances for profit become slimmer...
I realise you didn't chose the time on purpose but just something I thought I'd add for you not to be discouraged...

Dove,

This was just "laying out there" and I may be overstepping my boundary here but anyway......

The DISCUSSION has been for Finheaven to host fantasy football for all. Naturally there has been thought of offering something a little extra for premium members but as of now it's an idea for FINHEAVEN. That includes all 4000 members.

As for the "timing" of the opening for premium membership, the time picked itself. This isn't a "money grab". Finheaven awaited to see if a large portion of the premium membership would be willing to commit once again on their recent "anniversary". A large portion did not. Nobody had anything requested of them. A "premium membership is open" was posted.

Hope this helps. :)

Driven
06-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Would Mods or other premuim members have a problem with opposing fans becoming a premium member?

There is no malicious intent, just very found of this site and would like to help keep it going forward.

FinHeavenAJ
06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Would Mods or other premuim members have a problem with opposing fans becoming a premium member?

There is no malicious intent, just very found of this site and would like to help keep it going forward.
Not at all Drive, in fact, there are currently 2 Bill fans that are Premium Members :cool:

Thank you for your interest in supporting FinHeaven & Co, I really apprecaite it!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

PS: If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks again to everyone!

dolfan87
06-22-2004, 03:16 PM
What's our status AJ? How many do we have to go now?

Gram

M-REAL
09-23-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey A.J. and staff, you guys still got the best site on the web!! And plus, I really like all of the improvements that have been made to it since I left! Great job guys!! I just wanted to say that not having a reliable computer to get on for awhile, really SUCKS! So anyway, how can I reinstate my premium membership A.J or Muck? And if I owed $$ from before, let me know the total to keep this site funded. PM me. Thanx guys.