PDA

View Full Version : Hydration :)

ZOD
06-13-2004, 07:03 AM
Weird subject huh? Hey, it may just save your life :)

I've got a problem here that some of you might have experienced. This might just serve as an education for some. Either way, I'm just looking for answers because I'm confused. I will probably be heading to the doctor for some tests as this has become a persistant problem every summer. For damn near a decade I've experienced some sort of hydration problem every summer. I haven't been able to "put a finger" on the problem as I don't really have the information that I need about my bodily fluids. Nonetheless I've ventured on without any help from anybody on the subject. I hate waiting at the Doctor's office.

Almost 10 years ago I experienced it for the first time. I started work at 8:30 am outdoors and began drinking water shortly thereafter as I always have. This is after drinking two cups of coffee which serves as a Diruetic (http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/common/articles.cfm?ARTID=384) so I'm probably starting behind in hydration already. During the day I had consumed approximately two and half gallons of water. I had also enjoyed two Cokes just during the day serving as yet more of a Diuretic. At approximately 2:30 pm on this day I starting getting a headache. By 5 pm the headache was so severe and my body had shut down to the point that I was perspiring no longer. I went into the local McDonald's and placed my head on the table. I think I even passed out for a short time. I'm not quite sure. A short time later I got up and finished delivering your damn packages :lol: On my drive back to the building I took notice of my arms which had skin pulled so tight that all my muscles (they are not that big) were pertruding. On arrival I went into the lockerroom, splashed water all over my head, and again passed out on the bench nearby. I awoke about an hour later, drove home, and went to my bedroom to sleep on the floor. I was too dirty for sleeping in the bed. Every motion, every movement I made took an extreme amount of effort. Two more times that year I would experience a similar level of discomfort but to a lessor degree.

This became an annual event for me. As April and May loomed every year I knew that I had this situation coming at least three times. Most years it happened at least seven times. Eventually the discomfort and the anguish over it's arrival left me with only one decision. I had to quit doing that job. Fortunately for me an opportunity arose to stay with the company and perform other duties. I had previously told my wife that I only had a year of "that crap" left in me. I was thirty years old and I just couldn't see going through it every year. Hell, one year it might actually kill me.

I thought it was over. Gone was the day that I had to rape my body of fluids on a daily basis I thought. Gradually I had noticed that I was becoming more and more intolerant to heat. The headaches come much quicker during a humid day outdoors even now. I'm not quite sure if it's age or what but I've not had any relief from this hydration problem. It could be my diet. I don't know. If you experience this at a younger age as I did (23), believe me it's not going away.

I've tried everything. Every year I've thought water consumption may be the problem but is three gallons not enough? Just yesterday I was working out in the yard from 10 am til 5 pm drinking plenty of water. I had only had two cups of coffee that morning. I had an Arby's chicken, bacon, and swiss for lunch along with two 16oz. cups of sweet tea. I'm pretty sure I consumed just over 100 ozs of water yesterday. The headache started at 6pm. After two aspirin and an hour and a half of sleep I vomited. The headache still lingers.

I've heard the term hyponatremia (http://www.honoluluclub.com/pulse.php?ID=31) and thought maybe that's the problem. Gatorade gives me a nausea feeling like I'm going to vomit during these type days. I thought that was my body telling me something about the beverage. So at this point I'm at a loss.

Anybody got any answers? Either way I've got to get this thing checked out. It's been a decade. No person I have ever talked to about this experiences a humid summer quite like me.

WeVie
06-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Ummmmm why did'nt you go to the doctor abour ten years ago when it started happening? Why don't you go to the doctor now and ask them what the problem is? Sorry to hear what is going on but you need to go to the doctor and find out what's wrong.

ZOD
06-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Ummmmm why did'nt you go to the doctor abour ten years ago when it started happening? Why don't you go to the doctor now and ask them what the problem is? Sorry to hear what is going on but you need to go to the doctor and find out what's wrong.

I'll quote my wife addressing me on the subject to answer your questions, "Because you're stupid." :lol:

I will be going to the doctor as soon as the little league season ends. For about seven of those years I thought everyone went through the same type of days that I had. I guess it's that same type of "toughen up through it" attitude that has killed so many before. I only began asking questions about my situation when the Vikings tackle died and the problem was made so prevalent in society. Even still his was a hydration issue and I remained confident that I had done this to myself.

ThunderCane
06-13-2004, 07:16 PM
I am not a doctor, however being around the medical field I would say:

"DUMB AZZ, get to the doctor NOW!" :roflmao:

Look it could be so many things and the only way to find out what it is, testing.
It could be as serious as liver problems - kidney problems. Or to nothing but low potassium in the blood.

Don't wait till little league season ends. :shakeno:

WeVie
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Why would you want to wait for the LL season to end? It only takes a day to go to the doctor. You won't miss that muchif anything at all.

burton87
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Yea dude, seriously you should get to the docter sooner than later, you might have something seriously wrong with you.

Peebs
06-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Good luck.

There's gotta be a reason why your body isn't regulating it's temp properly.

ZOD
06-13-2004, 08:54 PM
I should have notated that the little league season ends this Wednesday!! :lol:

Thundercane, I think it probably is something like potassium. I've read somewhere about a series of seven tests of the blood. I've never had a thorough physical including bloodwork. :shakeno:

Every year I get the DOT physical and that's it for the doctor. See ya next year. I guess that's got to change huh?

ZOD
06-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Or to nothing but low potassium in the blood.

Anybody know if low potassium usually coincides with low blood pressure?

Peebs
06-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I dunno but make sure they check that all this dehydration isn't messing with your kidney's!!!

Phinzone
06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
I'll attest that after the first time you dehydrate..and I mean SERIOUSLY dehydrate, it's much easier to repeat it. I worked UPS through HS and had one seriously bad night. After unloading boxes non stop for 4 hours in 120 degree heat (that's how hot the trucks get in the sun, no joke) I all but passed out. Everything between there and the morning is sketchy, drug myself up the hill, and the rest of the night blips in and out. After that it was MUCH easier to repeat dehydrating, and not just in the next few days. That'll hold true for the rest of my life. But yours does sound different. The thing that gets me, is that it happens 3 times like clock work and the skin tightening. I understand everything your saying though, maybe the skin thin is an allusion.

Anyway, get looked at. If you've had it for 10 years my moneys on dehydration.I can't immagine it wouldn't have got worse if it were kidneys and such,b ut get checked out anyway. Good luck.