PDA

View Full Version : What's some of the most overrated movies?

Scrap
06-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I have to say Pulp Fiction stands out in my mind. All I ever heard was how great that movie is. In my opinion, it was crap.

LIQUID24
06-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Pulp Fiction is the greatest movie ever. As for overrated, let me think about it...

Prime Time
06-14-2004, 04:41 PM
The Lakers of 03-04. :roflmao:

Oh, you said movies, sorry. :lol: I would have to say the Matrixes are overrated.

ThunderCane
06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
The New Star Wars movies - Matrix movies - Titanic Crap - Harry Potter - Lord of Dings....so so many more can't think of right now.

Scrap
06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
I agree with all of the above.

I know people will think I'm crazy when I add Fight Club to the list.

ThunderCane
06-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Have to take your word for it...never saw it.

TerryTate
06-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

pure vomit

t2thejz
06-14-2004, 08:11 PM
All of the matrixes past the first one..that gay one called american beutey or something had to be the worst movie I have ever seen

The_Philster
06-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

pure vomit
:shakeno: Blasphemy!!

ThunderCane
06-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah, can't believe Monty Python would be mentioned...That was some funny stuff.

TerryTate
06-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Everyone told me how great Monty Python was and I finally saw it....

I usually laugh at everything and anything, but I wasnt laughing at that movie...

it sucked...a lot....

Scrap
06-14-2004, 08:55 PM
I saw about 15 minutes of it. (Looked dumb)

Deez Nutz
06-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Along Came Polly, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, and my least favorite movie of all time Appocolyps Now.

Hellion
06-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Everyone told me how great Monty Python was and I finally saw it....

I usually laugh at everything and anything, but I wasnt laughing at that movie...

it sucked...a lot....

That's the problem TT, your friends were telling you how great and funny it was and were probably doing their best impression of the "Knights that say knee" or the the black knight that was delimbed yelling "comeback you yellow!!!" and by the time you saw it, it was ruined, i know it's happened to me with other movies.
:shakeno: Too bad you couldn't have had the first full impression of the movie itself, it's a classic.

poornate
06-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Apocalypse Now! Wow. Shocked to see that here. How about Speed, Titanic, Finding Nemo, and (worst movie ever) Face-Off

Dajesus
06-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Independence day! They spent billions on it, and has such a crappy ending. A computer virus? Because I am sure aliens from light years away are using Windows.

Signs. A good new look at the alien question, but again the ending was horrible. They have the technology to move through galaxies, but cant figure out that our planet is 75% water the only thing that can kill them.

I have to question the guy that said American Beauty. It had no hype when it came out, but after it stayed in the thearters for 2 months everyone started paying attention. Then it came back to movies when it was nominated for the oscar. I think it was a great movie.

Scrap
06-15-2004, 07:40 AM
I saw Signs was on T.V. last night. I was coming to list it here when I found you've already said it.

Deez Nutz
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
I forgot about Signs. That movie was so bad I forgot to mention it.

TerryTate
06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Signs was horrible..........

Prime Time
06-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Never saw it, thought it looked interesting. My brother said it was a great movie.

t2thejz
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I liked Independence Day..It was funny and entertaining...but I just dont see it in American Beauty..I just dont find some guy having a mid life crisis and some punk thinking he has a tough life entertaining.

ThunderCane
06-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Signs sucked so bad! I am not of thoes people that is critical of movies...I don't look forevery fact to be "true."
But this movie was so wrong...I am glad I did not pay to see that crap.

Another movie I hated and sucked so bad is moulin rouge.
I went with a girl I was dating...After the movie I gave her the option...We go to a strip club and she pay for everything...or she be my personal stripper for that night. LMAO What a way to break the ice.
Now I think about it, that was the best movie I have ever "Gone" to see. LMAO

CirclingWagons
06-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Fast and the Furious
Triple X
Independence Day
Godzilla(the 2000 one)
every Keanu Reeves movie
every Kevin Costner movie(except Dances with Wolves)
Matrix(all of them)
the new Star Wars episodes(f'ing awful, just awful)
Harry Potter
Disney movies(they're clearly running out of ideas)
all Brad Pitt movies
all Tom Cruise movies(except Color of Money)
The Ring(it's not scary people, get the phuck over it)
Scream(all of them)
Spy Kids(Primetime's favorite)

I have plenty to add, just can't remember.

Basically every action/scifi/suspense/horror movie made the last 5-10 years.

Scrap
06-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah, Vin Deisel can't act for sh--.

XXX rated movies are good though.

Men In Black = overrated

Deez Nutz
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
every Keanu Reeves movie
The Replacements wasn't that bad, I like Field of Dreams, and even though I hate Tom Cruise, I liked Top Gun

Prime Time
06-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Fast and the Furious
Triple X
Independence Day
Godzilla(the 2000 one)
every Keanu Reeves movie
Matrix(all of them)
Harry Potter
all Brad Pitt movies
Scream(all of them)

Hey, you forgot to add your favorite movie to that list, Power Rangers :)

Dajesus
06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Fast and the Furious
Triple X
Independence Day
Godzilla(the 2000 one)
every Keanu Reeves movie
Matrix(all of them)
Harry Potter
all Brad Pitt movies
Scream(all of them)

So you don't like any movies? Bull Durham is a great Costner movie. Just about every baseball player that has played in the minors have said it was very realalistic. Interview with a Vampire was a very good movie with both Pitt and Crusie.

poornate
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Also what about Pitt in True Romance, Kalifornia, Seven?
I really liked a Perfect World W/ Costner.....

t2thejz
06-17-2004, 01:50 PM
The Replacements is the best movie of all time....I laughed so much throughout that movie

iceblizzard69
06-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Titanic was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I also think Fight Club is overrated.

jtown777
06-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Lost in Trashlation.

Muck
06-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Jesus, you guys suck.

WharfRat
06-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Anyone who has said that Lord of the Rings was overrated... either never read the books, or never saw all three movies...

Those movies were incredible. I've never spoken to anyone who watched all three of them, in order, that didn't enjoy them....

CirclingWagons
06-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Jesus, you guys suck.
maybe so, but not as much as fight club :tongue:

rand0m
06-19-2004, 02:00 AM
Lost in Trashlation.
best movie of 2004, no joke

Muck
06-19-2004, 02:16 AM
maybe so, but not as much as fight club :tongue:

Looks like you're avatar showed up for a session of Fight Club. :lol:

Prime Time
06-19-2004, 01:10 PM
The Last Samurai. I disliked it so much. The action wasn't bad but I thought they overhyped the movie big time.

34RWilliams
06-19-2004, 03:01 PM
If Lord of the Rings movies are overrated then all the awards they won for it are recogonition for crap, right?

JPhinfan86
06-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Lord of the Rings (more specifically The Two Towers, but they all pretty much eat it). I went to see this at the theater with my friends....all three of them fell asleep, that means I had to stay awake to make sure we left when it was over. This steaming pile was absolutely horrible, there was no plot for the first 2 hours....the only interesting part was the battle in the valley thing....when the ugly dudes charged the fortress. After that it went back to sucking, very horribly.

JPhinfan86
06-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Those movies were incredible. I've never spoken to anyone who watched all three of them, in order, that didn't enjoy them....

You have now. I think I would rather have listened to a lecture about shoe polish.

Also, The Lord of the Rings ripped off the little creepy dude from the Shenmue Trilogy (XBOX). Chai is the character in Shenmue, the guy in LOTR even talks like Chai.

Small Chai (http://www.gamesfirst.com/reviews/shawn/shenmue/CHAI5-01.jpg)

Big Chai (http://www.shinforce.com/gallery/Shenmue-Chai.jpg)

You have to play the game and see the way this guy moves....I think you'll agree. Also, Shenmue is (IMO) one of the top ten greatest games ever. :)

!PapaCrunk81!
06-20-2004, 10:21 AM
I think you have it the other way around. The LOTR books have been around since the fifties, so I don't think Tolkien was playing his PS2 when he was writing :lol: . RE: the falling asleep thing--this is what happens when you have SportsCenter dish up 2 minute highlight shots all of the time and peeps develop the attention span of 2 minutes.

JPhinfan86
06-21-2004, 06:43 AM
He wrote a book with a description....nothing actually visual. That certainly would include voicing. Shenmue was a game long before LOTR was a movie. Yu Suzuki was writing this when Virtua Fighter was first concieved...Shenmue was originally to be "Akura's Quest". He later changed it to be about Ryo Hazuki. My point is, he created the character Chai and produced physics and drawings for Chai before LOTR began developing the little freaky dude they ended up with (visually and physically).

Fresh
06-21-2004, 11:36 PM
All Vin Diesel projects with the exception of "A man Apart", and that's only because Larenz Tate is my favorite actor.

WharfRat
06-22-2004, 12:33 AM
He wrote a book with a description....nothing actually visual. That certainly would include voicing. Shenmue was a game long before LOTR was a movie. Yu Suzuki was writing this when Virtua Fighter was first concieved...Shenmue was originally to be "Akura's Quest". He later changed it to be about Ryo Hazuki. My point is, he created the character Chai and produced physics and drawings for Chai before LOTR began developing the little freaky dude they ended up with (visually and physically).

Actually... if you were to read the books (all 5 of them, not just "a book") you would come away with the "visual". Tolkien had an inate way of bringing things to life with words... something very few authors can accomplish. Besides, there has been artwork done by the Brothers Hildebrand (among others...Frazzetta for example) on calendars, posters, book covers, books devoted to Tolkien's work, not to mention the animated version of The Hobbit, (which came out in the early 80's I believe) etc, etc, etc.... long before ATARI's "Pong" hit the stores in the late 70's. Gollum (the little freaky dude) has been depicted in much the same way for decades...

Sorry bro... if anything, your game is a rip off of Tolkien.

WharfRat
06-22-2004, 12:42 AM
All Vin Diesel projects

I have to agree with that 100%.... talk about BAD acting.... :shakeno:

WharfRat
06-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Lord of the Rings (more specifically The Two Towers, but they all pretty much eat it). I went to see this at the theater with my friends....all three of them fell asleep, that means I had to stay awake to make sure we left when it was over. This steaming pile was absolutely horrible, there was no plot for the first 2 hours....the only interesting part was the battle in the valley thing....when the ugly dudes charged the fortress. After that it went back to sucking, very horribly.

Well... if all you're looking for is battle scenes, blood and gore, and shoot-em-up-bang-bangs... then no...these movies are not for you...

I found the acting to be superb. The special effects spectacular. The cinematograhpy stunning, and the visuals incredible. I also very easily followed the plot, perhaps having read the books several times helped... but there was more to it than a bunch of little dudes, bumbling around the woods trying to find a volcano if you pay attention... it's the underlying theme of "good versus evil" and "unlikely heros".

I'm not trying to change your mind about it... if you don't like it, you don't like it, I respect your opinion... however to dis the films for the reasons you gave, would make me think twice about seeing a movie you recommend, only because it's obvoius we look for COMPLETELY different things when watching a movie. No offense intended whatsoever.... just acknowledging that we have very different tastes in movies. ;)

JPhinfan86
06-22-2004, 11:41 PM
That's cool WharfRat. I understood the plot, it just didn't intrigue me. You say that you loved the special effect etc. Well so did I, that was my point. However, they didn't use those special effects enough. I realize it can't be all action, but does it have to be mind-numbing dialogue for 2 hours and 45 minutes? I do suppose reading the books could definetly add something to it though...just maybe.