PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Giant TV!!! Now which one...

poornate
06-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Any intimate knowledge on this would be appreciated. I need names, features, type of technology...No Plasma

(too much $)

Any help is appreciated. i was looking at a 56 inch DLP made by Samsung that I liked? :confused:

zonk39
06-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Sony kp65wv700 is what I have and it rocks. HiDef on it is fanastic!

themole
06-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Any intimate knowledge on this would be appreciated. I need names, features, type of technology...No Plasma

(too much $)

Any help is appreciated. i was looking at a 56 inch DLP made by Samsung that I liked? :confused:

Here is the place to get your answer. "www.avsforum.com". I have an Hitachi 51swx20b, AWESOME machine! Yes...it is rear projection but the purest rave about the black blacks and overall tweekability.

LCD and DLP, would probably fill your needs very well. Stick with Samsung or Hitachi, Sony was putting out some real JUNK in 2004 editions of big screens.

Along with the purchase of the TV you will need to INVEST in good cables also. Don't get to caught up in the "Monster" stuff, "Bettercables" and others, offer cheaper but just as good as Monster.

Here is another "tuff one" your choice of DVD player will really make a difference. I don't know what to advise here as I lucked up and bought a $89.00 JVC progressive scan that worked beautifully, it broke and I ended up with a Toshiba that I'm not pleased with. AVS also has a forum for DVDs.

Take your time and study what the people have to offer about their purchases on the forum, remember, most people don't like to admit they made a huge financial blunder, so some will defend their choice and its many trips back to the shop to the bitter end.

One more very important thing...buy from Sears or Circuit City, they price match and have excellent return policies.

And believe it or not...what you see in the store is NOTHING compared to the picture you can achieve by learning how to calibrate and tweek your TV. Yes, they should be calibrated to some degree, either by you or a professional, THEN your DVDs will look like 35 millimeter film.

If you do this right you are in for an education, take your time learn and you WILL NOT regret your decision.

Themole

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Good advice mole. stay away from JVC DVD's. They've been known not to last that long. Panasonic is another decent brand. HDTv's have now gone down in price. Make sure you are able to get High Definition in your area before you start investing in HD gadgets, but do get an HDTV though. Eventually when it's ofered you won't need to spend to upgrade. Better cables do matter and so do better power surge protectors.

Samsung has always been a very reliable product. It isn't all that when it comes to features but it's up there with the best in reliability. Hitachi makes 60% of the tube that go into other brands. Being that I used to work for Circuity City for years, I have had the courage to buy nothing but used or returned units at a huge discount and have had great luck with them.

If it makes you sleep better buy a returned unit and use the savings to go into the performance warranty. It's covers performance , meaning if it doesn't perform like a brand new TV, they "go to your house". W/ a big screen TV it could come in handy.

I hated selling big screens right before SB because people buy them just to watch the SB and have a party and then return them. Right after sb was the best time to buy those returns though.

themole
06-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Good advice mole. stay away from JVC DVD's. They've been known not to last that long. Panasonic is another decent brand. HDTv's have now gone down in price. Make sure you are able to get High Definition in your area before you start investing in HD gadgets, but do get an HDTV though. Eventually when it's ofered you won't need to spend to upgrade. Better cables do matter and so do better power surge protectors.

Samsung has always been a very reliable product. It isn't all that when it comes to features but it's up there with the best in reliability. Hitachi makes 60% of the tube that go into other brands. Being that I used to work for Circuity City for years, I have had the courage to buy nothing but used or returned units at a huge discount and have had great luck with them.

If it makes you sleep better buy a returned unit and use the savings to go into the performance warranty. It's covers performance , meaning if it doesn't perform like a brand new TV, they "go to your house". W/ a big screen TV it could come in handy.

I hated selling big screens right before SB because people buy them just to watch the SB and have a party and then return them. Right after sb was the best time to buy those returns though.

:up: And yet even more solid advice from Justa.

Nate, take your time and visit some show rooms, I left out one very good manufacturer, "Mitsubitsi", I had a 40" tube model before I went with the widescreen Hitachi, I had 0 problems with it the ten years i owned it.

The "value" will be found in Rear Projection TV or "RPTV". This is the tried and true technoligy. Some of the draw backs are; size, mine is 24" deep, weight 250 lbs., and frequent maintenance such as "convergence" which can be performed automatically or manually. I researched two months before I made my decision and do not regret it. But , I am the type that can't leave anything alone. So I enjoy tweeking the TV. I promise, on some movies the picture is so sharp and clean you can actually see hair going into the folicales, it is almost like watching the movie through a huge microscope. DO NOT be to concerned with "BURN IN" of the screen! If you make a purchase of RPTV someone will shurely make mention of this, don't worry about it. If you are about to spend $1.5k and up on a TV you will learn how to
:D prevent this and unless you plan to game on it, it's not gonna happen.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, I'll do my best to get you the correct answer. I just will NOT tell you which one to buy. If man made it, it is subject to brake down. I read where some have pulled theirs out of the box brand new and it wouldn't turn on. Stick with the three brands I mentioned earlier and things should work out fine.

Themole

poornate
06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
The 56" Samsung DLP was 80lbs. and had quite a few features. It was nowhere near $1500 though. It was a little south of $4000. I'm a real idiot when it come to tech stuff though. i was told NOT to buy from Best Buy or Circuit City because they carried all the low end stuff. I have been to a few places but the one TV I keep refering to is in a store in my area called Tweeter. i want a good picture and a reliable product. i would rather not have to tweak anything if that's possible. My DVD player does suck. (Sony-and an expensive peice of crap too) Nobody has mentioned anything to me about wires though? I can give you the model? Is it overpriced?

zonk39
06-17-2004, 11:27 AM
I have had zero problems with my Sony tv, DVD, Speakers, Digital Sat. Rec. , Camera, PC, laptop, Etc...

poornate
06-17-2004, 11:31 AM
My DVD player is a Sony and honestly it does suck balls. It won't play a movie through w/out freezing and it's like 16 months old. I hate it......

poornate
06-17-2004, 11:33 AM
I even took back another DVD player and added like $70 to the cost to upgrade and get the one I have because it was supposed to be better...

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Here's another site I go to to get better educated, CNET.com. They have great reviews but sometimes are not up to date with recently released models. I don't blame them, it takes time to review stuff. As far as buying high end stuff, it all depends on what your vewing habits are. 80% of the people I've sold tv's never used thier Picture in Picutre feature but ended up paying for it because it looked cool.

You also have to be careful with high end stuff because some of them are not out in the market long enough to have a feedback. Sony is the biggest culprit of this. They come up with features that cost an arm and a leg to fix because they are very propriatory when it comes to parts. Example, while other products use the same memory card, Sony only uses their own memory stick and batteries (used to I think)

Get educated before making a huge purchase. Find out what features you "know" will beneficial to your or you could end up paying for something you won't use.

Good luck.

poornate
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Mole, what was your decision?

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 11:57 AM
I even took back another DVD player and added like $70 to the cost to upgrade and get the one I have because it was supposed to be better...You might just need a lens cleaner. Purchase one at Circuit and if doesn't help, return it.

If you end up getting a big screen that's high def, get a DVD that has prgressive scan. Progressive scan feature is as usefull feature if your tv is HD. Pictures comes out better. It's a useless feature however if your tv is not HD.

Sales people will try and sell you extended warranties. Make sure you read what is covered. Performance guarantees are good. It means they don't have to break to be fixed. If they don't perform like brand new they should come to your house and make sure it does or replace it.

Circuit City replaced my brothers TV twice w/ a brand new one in 2 years. :up: He got lucky. Warranties are a hit and miss. I never got one for my SONY but then again after my employee discount plus since it was a return (after only 1 week) , I didn't feel I needed to spend an extra $400 on a T.v. I bought for $1000. although it did cost $2000 brand new. :D

poornate
06-17-2004, 12:10 PM
i was told NOT to buy from Best Buy or Circuit City because they carried all the low end stuff. Is this just BS? They looked like the same OR similar products to me?

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
i was told NOT to buy from Best Buy or Circuit City because they carried all the low end stuff. Is this just BS? They looked like the same OR similar products to me?
What is low end? Best buy carry Toshiba's which is a good brand. Circuit City Carries Sony's XBR (top of the line), Hitachi's. Maybe there are model's that are better than what both carry but like I said, you might not need them. Check out the websites both Mole and I posted and see what best fits you and them click on a model that you decide and see who carries them. I can only advice you to a certain extent because I don't know what your voewing havbits are. BTW, the size of you living room or how far your normal viewing habits matters on the size you pick too. Example, a 60" TV will be too much if you like to sit 6 ft away or your room only allows you that.

BigFinFan
06-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Nate - stay the hell away from Tweeter. I am certain that those guys are the ones that are telling you to stay away from CC and BB. I will not even walk throught the doors of Tweeter any more (we have them here in San Diego).

My wife purchased me a Sony Rear Projection TV (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=ArCe5g-uTLmeaU9_0EaU7UCjnBXyU7JTHu8=?ProductSKU=KP46WT510&Dept=tv&CategoryName=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_43to53TVs) along with the Sony DAV-C700 (http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6449_7-7323646-2.html?legacy=cnet) and I love them both!

themole
06-17-2004, 01:37 PM

Nate....that is so much BS, that you should be choking on it by now! Shure there are higher end models...upward of $30,000 but most of it is like buying way high end stereo equip. it's all in the stats., your ear can't hear it.

Play it SAFE and purchase from CC or Sears, you can't go wrong.

Listen, get familiar with the Samsung, Hitachi and Mits., determine what screen size is best for your viewing area. I can sit as close as 6' to my 51" Hitachi and still enjoy it.

If you are not into tweeking, stay with the DLP or LCD. They cost more, but you can hook anything you want to them, ie your computer, Madden if you own one, or anything else.

Another important factor to consider is how DARK can you get your room? The glare factor is not as bad with DLP or LCD. LCD is just that...a huge computer monitor, so if you use a flat screen with your computer at home or work you are already familiar with their pros and cons.

They are as you stated, much lighter and thinner.

My choice was the Hitachi 51swx20b RPTV. It is the muscle car version of RPTVs, came with big guns, user accessable service menu and the ability to be tweeked and compete with TVs costing $6000.00 and more. They don't exactly make this model anymore. The S500 took its place and Hitachi says they now do with computer chips what they did with the big guns. BUT...the wideneck guns are offered in the the studio models :evil: . I lucked up and bought at the right time.

Unless you are considering becoming a videophile, which I already know that you aren't. FORGET the speciality stuff go to CC or Sears, look for holiday sales and discounts, work them a little and rest assured the model you pick will do all that you need it to.

4th of July is right around the corner, in the mean time study the three brand I mentioned, choose one, don't worry, be happy!

BTW...the sales people at Sears and CC are hourly now and not on commission, the threat of pushing something on you because the profit is higher on a specific model is gone. They should be up front with you on all things. Ask them which models are being returned for repairs the most and happy hunting. Keep me informed I love this stuff!

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 02:48 PM
BTW...the sales people at Sears and CC are hourly now and not on commission, the threat of pushing something on you because the profit is higher on a specific model is gone. They should be up front with you on all things. Ask them which models are being returned for repairs the most and happy hunting. Keep me informed I love this stuff! I was gonna be fired by Circuit City because they were laying off the top sales people who made money for the company and going hourly. That's the kind of loyalty Corporate America gives you , but that's another topic. I did however find out before they laid me off (inside info) so I was able to quit before it happened. Everyone esle that were laid off were told to accept their fate or never to come in to the store even as a customer. A lot of them were my friends.

I have all the reason to hate CC but I know how they work and how honest these guys are about their products so it's hard for me to disparage them. I still go back for certain things. Although Sears is okay, their people aren't trained as we were and a couple of my buddy's were from Sears and told me some of the things they did that they got away with. One of which was steal computer memory from computers they sold when memory was expensive way back then.

We had to (they still do) update their knowledge regarding current technology at CC and take weekly exams that if they don't pass, they can't sell. Be careful though. I have now relocated and since I was a salesman, I ask questions just so I know if they know wtf they are talking about. I've caught a few of them yaping their mouths off and giving me wrong information or just didn't have a clue.

Best Buy is another place where their sales team is clueless. The main reason why CC let go of sales commisioned people is that customers are getting smarter and researching over the net before buying that smart salespeole who make comminssion are no longer needed.

Do your part but get to know yourself first and what you need. Then and only then you will know what product to get.

Ask yourself this.

1.How far will you be sitting from the tv

2.Do you have kids or pets. Most TV's now a days have screen protectors but some don't. Kids/pets could scratch the screen. HTDV if I'm correct all have this.

3.Mole touched up on glare. Is your tv going to be situated in a place that is directly facing a window? Does your room have a lot of lighting and do you watch with them turned on?

4. Are you a channel surfer? I am and my tv can view 4 different stations at 1 time. I only do that when watching tv not movies.

5. If you are getting a separate complete surround system, maybe you drop to a model that doesn't have top of the line audio built in since a sourround system is always better than one that comes with the tv. Saves you $.

How about this, research some models and post it here and we'll look at it.

BigFinFan
06-17-2004, 03:21 PM
When my wife took me shopping for mine, we looked at CC, BB, Tweeter, and Frys Electronics.

Fry's had Plasma TV's on sale for 3500.00, but I just wasn't impressed enough to lay down that much cash.

The personnel at BestBuy were totally clueless.

Tweeter talked of "inferior products" at BestBuy and Circuit City - the were just really obnoxious.

I opted to purchase from Circuit City. They price match and the also had rebates on all three items (HDTV, Stand, and Dream System).

I prefer CC over any electronics store around.

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 04:15 PM
When my wife took me shopping for mine, we looked at CC, BB, Tweeter, and Frys Electronics.

Fry's had Plasma TV's on sale for 3500.00, but I just wasn't impressed enough to lay down that much cash.

The personnel at BestBuy were totally clueless.

Tweeter talked of "inferior products" at BestBuy and Circuit City - the were just really obnoxious.

I opted to purchase from Circuit City. They price match and the also had rebates on all three items (HDTV, Stand, and Dream System).

I prefer CC over any electronics store around.Disparaging competitors just to make a sale is not the way to go. You will just be caught in a lie if the person you are talking to happens to know his stuff and has done his shopping at the other stores.

themole
06-17-2004, 04:25 PM
One other thing Nate. If you choose Hitachi, make SHURE it has "ULTRAVISION DIGITAL" on it. That is the badge for their flagship line.

Justasportsfan
06-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Make sure you getone before the season starts. The bills sweeping the fins would look better on a HDTV signal :jk:

Sorry , had to throw that in there. :D

Keep us posted.

JPhinfan86
06-20-2004, 07:22 AM
My DVD player is a Sony and honestly it does suck balls. It won't play a movie through w/out freezing and it's like 16 months old. I hate it......

Lol. I have a Sony VCR and a Sony Trinitron T.V. Neither of them have given me problems. My Sony PS2 however, took a big hairy dump on me. It won't play my untarnished games for some reasons. Makes no sense....I take care of my stuff religiously, there is no reason it should have crapped out. However the other two are perfectly fine.