PDA

View Full Version : Voting...Novice Needs Help

Prime Time
06-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey, I need help understanding one thing. How does a President get elected? I know that people vote for who they want for President but then I heard something else last election... BUT what happened with Bush last election? I don't want any Pro-Anti Bush responses, I just want to know what the commotion was and why people wanted a recount. Everyone knows we don't need another Pro-Anti Bush thread. :nono:

PhinPhan1227
06-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Each state has a number of Electors. That number is determined by the states population. In most cases(there are two exceptions), all of those Electors from the individual state will cast their votes for whoever gets the majority of votes in that state. The candidate who gets the most electors will be the President. The reason there was an uproar is this setup can allow a person to win the Election without getting the most votes nationwide. If, as happenned last time, certain states with large populations vote STRONGLY for one candidate, while several other states vote more along the lines of 60% to 40%, you will get that situation. The Electoral College(again, with two exceptions) doesn't care if a state is won by 90%, or 50.000001%...the candidate still gets all the votes. The Electoral College was created for a couple of reasons. Originally it was so the masses couldn't do anything REALLY stupid like elect a Cocker Spaniel. Now it serves to maintain the viability of the individual states.

ohall
06-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey, I need help understanding one thing. How does a President get elected? I know that people vote for who they want for President but then I heard something else last election... BUT what happened with Bush last election? I don't want any Pro-Anti Bush responses, I just want to know what the commotion was and why people wanted a recount. Everyone knows we don't need another Pro-Anti Bush thread. :nono:

Just so you know many ppl believe there was an even closer elcetion when JKF won against Nixon. However Nixon decided not to put the country through the negative stuff that was sure to follow, and he stayed alive to fight another day and of course became President years later. I tell my DEM friends this all the time. If Gore had calmed down, and if he took the high road like Nixon did before him Gore would more than likely be the DEM Presidential canidate, and I would think he would have won this time around. The only reason Bush is still in this race is because Kerry is such a bad canidate. DEM's chose poorly when they chose Kerry.

Sorry for the REP spin, but I couldn't help myself Prime. :D

Oliver...

Prime Time
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks PP1227 :up:

and Ohall.....That's a BAD Ohall!!!!!! :yell: :lol:

BigFinFan
06-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Here is a link that explains it pretty well:

Electoral College (http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college1.htm)

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 12:20 AM
But anti-Kerry threads or posts are OK? :mad:

PhinPhan1227
06-30-2004, 10:51 AM
But anti-Kerry threads or posts are OK? :mad:

huh?

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
read the first post

PhinPhan1227
06-30-2004, 11:17 AM
read the first post

Well, he said no Pro-Anti Bush threads. That means no threads for or against Bush. There's no need to mention Kerry because I have yet to see a single Pro-Kerry thread, and even Anti-Kerry threads become Anti/Pro Bush threads. The simple fact is, Kerry hasn't done anything to attack OR proclaim. If my Cocker Spaniel was the Dem candidate, nothing much would have changed so far.

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 12:30 PM
My sig is a Kerry endorsement :up:

PhinPhan1227
06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
My sig is a Kerry endorsement :up:

Your sig is a suggestion of who to vote for. In my opinion an eendorsement should have SOME information of WHY a person should vote for Kerry.

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Isn't my suggestion enough? :(

I'm a veteran, you can trust me :)

PhinPhan1227
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Isn't my suggestion enough? :(

I'm a veteran, you can trust me :)

ROFL!! The military attracts the best AND the worst. Because a person signed up to get shot at means they have earned the nations thanks...doesn't mean they can get 2+2 right twice in a row :lol:

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 01:37 PM
:mad:

Clumpy
06-30-2004, 01:37 PM
;)

PhinPhan1227
06-30-2004, 01:39 PM
:mad:

Oh come on Clumpy...if you served, I KNOW you came across a few people who NEVER should have been handed a sharp object, much less an M-16!! :eek: There were a few guys that went through Basic with that I wanted to ask the name of their recruiter just so I could report the guy.