PDA

View Full Version : Dol-Fans Fantasy Football (Yahoo)

BigFinFan
07-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I am establishing this thread for us to communicate prior to the draft and during the season.

Team: SD Fins
Experience: 3 Years

Good Luck to all!

Deez Nutz
07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
I tend to have several teams in Yahoo, so this thread will help me very much. Good idea, and good luck to you too

BigFinFan
07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I will be posting information on here that might help during the season.

BigFinFan
07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
1) STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!! The more you know about the players available in the draft, the easier it will be to field a competitive team. This is especially true in the later stages after the top 100 players have been selected. This league has 16 teams and 17 players on each team (272 players plus 1 Defense).

BigFinFan
07-09-2004, 12:47 PM
1) MARQUEE NFL PLAYERS AREN’T ALWAYS THE BEST FFL PLAYERS
This is a game of stats, don’t draft for intangibles. Ricky Williams may have appeared in a wedding dress in a national publication, but he will still be the workhorse for Miami. Remember, you only accumulate points when your players score a lot of points or gain a lot of yards!

2) WATCH ACQUIRING TOO MANY PLAYERS FROM THE SAME DIVISION
There are eight divisions to select players from, but you must pay attention to bye weeks. Too many players with the same bye week could leave you scrounging to fill a starting lineup. If you do draft too many players from one division, it is possible to use them to promote trades.

3) BE CAREFUL WHEN ACQUIRING PLAYERS FROM THE SAME TEAM
If two or three players are drafted from the same NFL team, you could also run into problems during bye weeks. Even with a team that is powerful it could also be detrimental because if that NFL team has a poor week and doesn’t score much and if two or three players on your roster would fail to score, you could be in for a bad week. If it happens in the playoffs, your season could be over.

4) LOOK FOR CONSISTENT PLAYERS
Players that score 1 TD three out of four weeks are more valuable than the player that scores 3 TD’s one week but don’t score again for four weeks.

5) LOOK FOR DURABLE PLAYERS
It is, of course, impossible to predict injuries, just ask anyone that had Terrell Davis or Jamal Anderson five years ago & was ready to quit the league after their season ending injuries. However, if a player consistently sits out several games a year due to injuries they might be considered a bigger risk than the player who usually plays the entire 16 game schedule.

6) TRY TO MAKE YOUR RB’s & WR’s THE “GO TO” GUYS ON THEIR TEAMS
Simply put, these are the players that score the most and get the most yards. The best scenario is that the “Go To” WR has a solid compliment to offset double teams and to keep defenses from keying on them. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

7) PLAYING CATCH UP VERSUS BALL CONTROLLED OFFENSES
Look for the #1 receiver on teams that fall behind early and often because they will have to throw the ball a lot in an attempt to play catch up. Those teams probably don’t score many points, so draft for your #2 or #3 receiver. Conversely, teams that get ahead early or have good defenses will utilize a more ball controlled offense, so look for the #1 running back on these teams as they will run the ball more often.

8) KICKERS DO MATTER!
Just like in the NFL, good kickers can win or lose close games for you. A top five kicker can give you about a three point edge each week. While drafting a kicker before the fifth round is unadvisable, if you’re not passing on a solid RB or receiver, anytime after that should be OK.

Phinzone
07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Just to clarify though.

we have 16 teams. Let's say Arch Angels select first, you select last in the first round.

That means

#1 pick='s arch angels, #16 pick='s your team

Round 2

#17 pick='s your team, #32 pick='s Arch Angels

Round 3

#33 pick='s Arch Angels, #42 pick='s Your team

Correct? I'm doing a draft for another league, first time live, but we're all keeping a single player from our team last year. SO I need ot make sure I have that correct lol.

BigFinFan
07-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Yes Phinzone - that is correct!

BigFinFan
07-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Is it best to pick first or last in the opening round?

1st and 64th or 16th and 17th

SmokeyPhinz
07-12-2004, 09:02 AM
I'd prefer a live draft. Auto-picking doesnt sound fun, I don't know why they even have it as an option. I mean if u dont have time to live draft, then why play?

DrAstroZoom
07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Because some of us couldn't spend the 6-8 straight hours a live, online draft in this league would take.

Any thoughts on when our draft will take place?

BigFinFan
07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I want to hear from the majority of the people before setting a draft date.

If the draft was live, we would have to ensure that everyone had their pre rankings done prior to the draft in irder to guarantee fairness across the board.

DrAstroZoom
07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I want to hear from the majority of the people before setting a draft date.

If the draft was live, we would have to ensure that everyone had their pre rankings done prior to the draft in irder to guarantee fairness across the board.

Fair enough. I'm about a fifth of the way through my pre-rankings.

BigFinFan
07-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Are you doiing them on your own our are you using another source?

DrAstroZoom
07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Are you doiing them on your own our are you using another source?

So far, I've been doing my own rankings.

eltos_lightfoot
07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
so...what day are we thinking then?

BigFinFan
07-13-2004, 03:59 PM
In all honesty, I haven't really thought about it. I am still trying to get a read on what people want (Live or Automated). Below is a list of all coaches and their request regarding the draft. Please let me know what you are interested in if you have not already done so.

SD Fins
Rx from the Good Dr - Auto Draft
Sturgis_Landsharks
dolphinatic
Y-Town Rats - Live Draft
dino56 - Live Draft
cuban refugees
cayman's finest
HeadBustaz
Dolfinz Dynasty - Live Draft
Wanny's Wierdos - Live Draft
Get-R-Dun
The Nemisis - Live Draft
SOCAL13
QuebecFinsFan - Live Draft
Arch Angels

Additionally, please let me know if you are okay with the current roster:

1-QB
3-WR
2-RB
1-TE
1-WR/RB
1-K
1-DEFENSE
2-DEFENDERS
6-BENCH

DrAstroZoom
07-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm ok with the roster, and I won't take my toys and go home if you guys have a live draft. I just probably won't be there.

BigFinFan
07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Honestly Doc, I don't know if I will be either. Too much time to sit in fornt of the computer!!

eltos_lightfoot
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
I would be ok with a live draft (Sturgis Landsharks), but I also am not sure about being there the whole time. If you do your rankings right it shouldn't matter much...

Y-TownPhinVet
07-13-2004, 10:58 PM
I finally found my way to this thread :rolleyes: Sometimes I can be so dumb, all I have to do is open my eyes! :shakeno: This thread is a great idea, and some of the info so far is really good. I was in a 16 team league last year and the draft took about two hours. As long as your pre rankings are inline, being in the draft the whole time isn't that important. I will say the live draft is much more of a challenge than letting the computer pick your players. I play in several different leagues and Commish a few as well, and find it to be a great hobby for the whole season. It tends to make all the games more interesting to watch, after or before the Fins hit the screen. My E-mail is available, if anyone would like to fill a few open slots in my leagues, I would always welcome Finfans. I have two leagues now, both 50-50 scoring (TDs and yards). One draft is early July 24 and the other is late Aug. Some members of these leagues are from last year, family in VA and friends. We had over 475 messages (all smack and sometimes alittle vulgar) last year. If your interested let me know!

Looking forward to this league alot, being in NE Ohio, theres not many Finfans here, this site is the bomb :D Good Luck to everyone!

G-Man

-QuebecFinsFan-
07-13-2004, 11:18 PM
If i can make a suggestion, i think we should add another bench player.

BigFinFan
07-13-2004, 11:22 PM
UPDATE
Live Draft - 7
Auto Draft - 1
No Response - 8

SD Fins
Rx from the Good Dr - Auto Draft
Sturgis_Landsharks - Live Draft
dolphinatic
Y-Town Rats - Live Draft
dino56 - Live Draft
cuban refugees
cayman's finest
HeadBustaz
Dolfinz Dynasty - Live Draft
Wanny's Wierdos - Live Draft
Get-R-Dun
The Nemisis - Live Draft
SOCAL13
QuebecFinsFan - Live Draft
Arch Angels

BigFinFan
07-13-2004, 11:23 PM
If i can make a suggestion, i think we should add another bench player.

That can be arranged!

dino56
07-14-2004, 12:34 AM
I'd say just set a draft time as close to the season opener as possible. That will give everyone time to set there draft rankings if they cannot make the live draft. But if your looking for suggestions for times, I would say evening or any time during the weekend.

BigFinFan
07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Still waiting to hear from everyone

Phinzone
07-14-2004, 04:52 PM
go Live. I'll try to make it, no promises, but that's the best way to go IMO.

BigFinFan
07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
go Live. I'll try to make it, no promises, but that's the best way to go IMO.

Which team is yours?

Y-TownPhinVet
07-14-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm Ok with the roster, also agree another bench player wouldn't hurt. Just finished a live draft, 10 teams, 15 rounds. It took 50 minutes. FYI, I set up draft boards for each position and ranked players in four groups, 1st tier, 2nd tier, backups and rookies/sleepers. I also followed all the picks on a grid. On the same grid I followed bye weeks, so as not to draft backups with the same bye week as my starter. The grid helped to see what positions were needed by team, allowing me to plan ahead alittle. The boards were invaluable, helping to make quick decisions. The whole event went smooth, with what I feel was an overall good draft. It was clear that a few were homers, and a few were not prepared. It'll show in the end. :lol:

BigFinFan
07-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm Ok with the roster, also agree another bench player wouldn't hurt. Just finished a live draft, 10 teams, 15 rounds. It took 50 minutes. FYI, I set up draft boards for each position and ranked players in four groups, 1st tier, 2nd tier, backups and rookies/sleepers. I also followed all the picks on a grid. On the same grid I followed bye weeks, so as not to draft backups with the same bye week as my starter. The grid helped to see what positions were needed by team, allowing me to plan ahead alittle. The boards were invaluable, helping to make quick decisions. The whole event went smooth, with what I feel was an overall good draft. It was clear that a few were homers, and a few were not prepared. It'll show in the end. :lol:

Nice to hear that it did not take that long. Ours will take a little longer since we have 16 teams.

I need to get a feel on when you guys think we should do the draft.

Would you prefer to:

A. Draft before camp begins (more risk due to injury)
B. Draft mid-camp
C. Draft after camp is over (less risk)

Thanks for all of the input.

I will post all changes before changing the draft status.

Y-TownPhinVet
07-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I will draft anytime. Today was day one of live drafts and it felt good to get the feel of things. I currently have two leagues, one drafts July 24, the other late August. If anyone wants in, there are spots open. I plan on posting the info Sunday after the regulars are set up. I'll play in several leagues, drafting today, and about every ten days after. It's too much fun to pass up.

Glad to see your trying to get input on all this as well, it should be a fun season! GO FINS :D

finzfan4life
07-15-2004, 02:46 AM
My team is dolphinatic. I am for live draft...

DrAstroZoom
07-15-2004, 09:10 AM
I would suggest drafting in the middle of preseason (about August 15). That would be laste enough to avoid some injury, but early enough to allow some pre-opener deals.

BigFinFan
07-15-2004, 12:07 PM
I would suggest drafting in the middle of preseason (about August 15). That would be laste enough to avoid some injury, but early enough to allow some pre-opener deals.

It just seems so far away!

Anticipation is killing me!

DrAstroZoom
07-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey, I wouldn't mind having it earlier either.

BigFinFan
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I made a change to the roster today:

I dropped the two Defensive players completely.
I added 1 Bench Player (Total is now 7)

Hope that this is okay with everyone

BigFinFan
07-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Offense

Passing
Passing Touchdowns = 6 Points
Interceptions = -2 Points
50 Yards Passing = 1 Point

Rushing
Rushing Touchdown = 6 Points
25 Yards Rushing = 1 Point

Receiving
Receiving Touchdown = 6 Points
25 Yards Receiving = 1 Point

Kick & Punt Returning
Return Touchdowns = 6 Points
Offensive Fumble Return TD = 6 Points

Miscellaneous
2 Point Conversions = 2 Points
Fumbles Lost = -2 Points

Kickers
Field Goals 0-19 Yards = 3 Points
Field Goals 20-29 Yards = 3 Points
Field Goals 30-39 Yards = 3 Points
Field Goals 40-49 Yards = 4 Points
Field Goals 50+ Yards = 5 Points
Point After Attempt Made = 1 Points

Defense

Team
Points Allowed 0 points = 10 Points
Points Allowed 1-6 points = 7 Points
Points Allowed 7-13 points = 4 Points
Points Allowed 14-20 points = 1 Point
Points Allowed 21-27 points = 0 Points
Points Allowed 28-34 points = -1 Point
Points Allowed 35+ points = -4 Points
Sack = 1 Point
Interception = 2 Points
Fumble Recovery = 2 Points
Touchdown = 6 Points
Safety = 2 Points
Block Kick = 2 Points

Players who finish with negative yards lose points.

Players receive fractional points for every yard.

SmokeyPhinz
07-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Dolfinz Dynasty

I want the draft to be ASAP

DrAstroZoom
07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Dolfinz Dynasty

I want the draft to be ASAP
You know ... I've changed my mind ... I want an earlier draft, too.

I'm in three other leagues, and the EARLIEST draft I have right now is Aug. 6.

So maybe sometime next week???

BigFinFan
07-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Will everybody be prepared for the draft by Tuesday?

DrAstroZoom
07-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I can definitely be ready by Tuesday.

BigFinFan
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
I wish I knew who everyone was, I would PM them and let them know. I guess that I can do it by those that have responded to this thread.

Please help me fill in this list:

Team Name / Finheaven Name

SD Fins / BigFinFan
Rx from the Good Dr. / DRAstroZoom
Sturgis_Landsharks / elros_lightfoot
dolphinatic / finzfan4life
Y-Town Rats / Gary Miles
dino56 / dino56
cuban refugees
cayman's finest
HeadBustaz
Dolfinz Dynasty / SmokeyPhinz
Wanny's Wierdos / stan marino
Get-R-Dun
The Nemisis
SOCAL13
QuebecFinsFan / -QuebecFinsFan-
Arch Angels

Y-TownPhinVet
07-17-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm ready to draft anytime. Already had one and ready for another!

BigFinFan
07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Suggested that we draft on Tuesday...any problems?

dino56
07-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Works for me

DrAstroZoom
07-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey BigFinFan, have you actually went in and set your draft time, because the league home page isn't doing a countdown yet.

finzfan4life
07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
i have another draft for another league at 8:30 p.m. tueday night. Can we make it earlier in the day for the draft???

DrAstroZoom
07-19-2004, 12:10 PM
i have another draft for another league at 8:30 p.m. tueday night. Can we make it earlier in the day for the draft???

The e-mail I received calls for the draft to be at 1:30 in the afternoon (Eastern) on Tuesday. I s that not early enough? :confused:

BigFinFan
07-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Here is the dilema:

The majority has voted for a Live Draft which will not be a problem since if you are not present, the computer will draft the highest rated player on your list.

I suggested that we do the draft on Tuesday at 1:30 Eastern - hoping that everyone that wanted a Live Draft would be able to attend.

I have not heard from everyone - if you are reading this and have not responded please do so!

I am going to IM this to as many of you that I can.

DrAstroZoom
07-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I will be able to attend at least part of Tuesday afternoon's draft. That's good enough for me.

finzfan4life
07-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Here is the dilema:

The majority has voted for a Live Draft which will not be a problem since if you are not present, the computer will draft the highest rated player on your list.

I suggested that we do the draft on Tuesday at 1:30 Eastern - hoping that everyone that wanted a Live Draft would be able to attend.

I have not heard from everyone - if you are reading this and have not responded please do so!

I am going to IM this to as many of you that I can. 1:30 p.m. on tuesday is great with me. I will be there at 1:20 p.m.

DrAstroZoom
07-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey, we have a problem ... we lost a league owner, and we can't draft with an uneven number of teams.

finzfan4life
07-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey, we have a problem ... we lost a league owner, and we can't draft with an uneven number of teams.
well that sucks. so draft isn't tomorrow?? hope it is still tomorrow, because i go on vacation friday morning and won't be back till next tuesday. If draft isn't before i leave, then i will have to drop out too.

BigFinFan
07-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Why did Dolfinz Dynasty/SmokeyPhinz drop out?

Y-TownPhinVet
07-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Well, at least I have an excuse to leave work early :roflmao: If another player is needed, I think I can find one, If it isn't filled by, say, noon, I'll make a phone call. If anyone has any objections let me know. OH, he is a Fin Fan as well.

BigFinFan
07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
No problem Gary, I am trying to fill the roster now. I will have to leave work early to in order to draft. Luckily for me I am in San Diego, so I will have to leave before 10:00 am.

BigFinFan
07-19-2004, 04:50 PM
UPDATE

Dolfinz Dynasty has dropped out of the league for unknown reason, please note the changes below:

I am still trying to fill in this list:

SD Fins / BigFinFan
Sturgis_Landsharks / eltos_lightfoot
Y-Town Rats / Gary Miles
dino56 / dino56
cuban refugees /
cayman's finest /
HeadBustaz /
Get-R-Dun /
The Nemisis /
SOCAL13 / SOCAL13
Arch Angels

DrAstroZoom
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
No problem Gary, I am trying to fill the roster now. I will have to leave work early to in order to draft. Luckily for me I am in San Diego, so I will have to leave before 10:00 am.

I'll be drafting on my lunch hour!

finzfan4life
07-19-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll be drafting on my lunch hour!
so the draft is still on for 1:30 p.m. tomorrow??

BigFinFan
07-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes - I will find somebody to fill it!

finzfan4life
07-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes - I will find somebody to fill it! That's great, thanks bigfinfan.

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 09:32 AM
STILL only 15 teams ...

I received a PM from Smokey just now that said he dropped because he couldn't make today's draft time, and he didn't want to play unless he could participate in the draft.

So ... what now?

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I wish that Smokey would have contacted me before dropping. We could have shifted the draft time to accomodate everyone - or at least tried to.!

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 10:35 AM
I guarantee you there's no way you could get a time that would accommodate 16 players.

So, when is this 16th person adding? Our league page makes no mention of the draft day and time.

finzfan4life
07-20-2004, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=BigFinFan]I wish that Smokey would have contacted me before dropping. We could have shifted the draft time to accomodate everyone - or at least tried to.![/QUOTE bigfinfan, you said you would still have last team filled by 1:30 right?? draft is still on??

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 10:46 AM
BigFinFan ... the reason I was concerned because I'm in other leagues that draft later, and even though they're not filled up either, their league home page lists a date and time for the draft. Are you sure you set our time with Yahoo correctly?

dino56
07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
I checked the league settings and it still says auto pick draft.

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Draft was set for 1:30 PDT - my mistake.

I had to change it to AUTO then back to LIVE.

The new time is 2:15 EST / 11:15 PST

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 11:46 AM
If this does not work, let me know ASAP!

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Still 15 teams ... tick, tick, tick ...

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Still 15 teams ... tick, tick, tick ...

:roflmao:

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Do you know who the 16th team is going to be? Is it someone you know who just hasn't registered? Because the draft order is supposed to be picked at 1:45 ET (30 minutes before the draft), so I'm figuring that's the deadline to get it in as scheduled.

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 01:00 PM
45 minutes until draft order is determined. Where's our 16th team?!?

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 01:07 PM
It is on its way!

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Aaaauugggh!!!! :confused2:

I'm just going to stop checking.

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Check Again!

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
UPDATE

I am still trying to fill in this list:

SD Fins / BigFinFan
Sturgis_Landsharks / eltos_lightfoot
Y-Town Rats / Gary Miles
dino56 / dino56
cuban refugees /
cayman's finest /
HeadBustaz /
Get-R-Dun /
The Nemisis /
SOCAL13 / SOCAL13
Arch Angels /
DenverDolfan / DENVERDOLFAN

DrAstroZoom
07-20-2004, 01:25 PM
:up: :hug: :bandwagon :clap: :couch2:

Whoo-hoo!! Full again!!!

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 01:27 PM
I just hope that everyon makes it to the draft!

eltos_lightfoot
07-20-2004, 02:49 PM
why did we change it? I thought it was going to be late in the pre-season?

eltos_lightfoot
07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
I can't even connect at work. Firewall. Oh well.

eltos_lightfoot
07-20-2004, 02:52 PM
guess I should have changed my lists... I was just planning on making the draft...

:)

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Not too bad!

M. Hasselbeck (Sea - QB)
P. Ramsey (Was - QB)
A. Feeley (Mia - QB)

R. Williams (Mia - RB)
T. Barber (NYG - RB)
M. Alstott (TB - RB)

D. Boston (Mia - WR)
J. Porter (Oak - WR)
L. Fitzgerald (Ari - WR)
M. Muhammad (Car - WR)
K. Dyson (SD - WR)
B. Engram (Sea - WR)

D. Clark (Ind - TE)
A. Becht (NYJ - TE)

J. Carney (NO - K)

Tampa Bay (TB - DEF)
Washington (Was - DEF)

BigFinFan
07-20-2004, 06:53 PM
You can see how the draft played out by clicking here! (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/12588/draftresults)

BigFinFan
07-21-2004, 05:33 PM
What do you guys think about your team?

stan marino
07-23-2004, 12:17 AM
My teams ok nothing special...The 3 rb's gotta carry me or i could be in trouble.