PDA

View Full Version : Shaq biggest of Miami's stars? (Basketball posts)

catapano
07-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Shaq chooses Miami with L.A.'s blessing
The Heat acquires Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal, but loses Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and Caron Butler, and will be forced to fill crucial roster holes.
Shaquille O'Neal is headed to South Florida. The trade between the two teams has not been finalized and cannot be officially announced until Wednesday, when NBA rules allow, but sources close to the negotiations said the Lakers will accept the deal, paving the way for Miami to become the home to one of the most recognizable athletes in the world.
BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ / igutierrez@herald.com テつサ Web Vote | How much would be too much for the Heat to sacrifice to get Shaq?

ChambersWI
07-10-2004, 10:27 PM
deal is not finalized yet, but it will definatly be Odom and Grant. I don't see Riley adding Caron in the trade unless...

1.He gets back either Luke Walton or Kareem Rush(or both)
2. He's got another trade lined up
3. Has FA's already to sign.

when the trade is finalized we'll see

Phinz4Life
07-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Shaq ruins basketball. The guy is just a juggernaut and thats it. He's not a basketball player. I was a Lakers fan up until this year, and next year I'll be jumping onto the Bobcats bandwagon, since they are new and all.

You can say "He's the most dominating player in the NBA! LOL!!!11". Okay, I'll buy that - but how's his shot? Horrible, the guy makes 95% of his shots bullying over people for a simple layup or dunk, which I've seen him miss plenty of times. He draws the foul by leaping into people and causing them to come in contact with his arms. I can't stand it anymore, I used to defend him, but I'm sick of him.

Have him Heat, go ahead and lose my respect. I really enjoyed watching the Heat this season, and thought with a bit more rebuilding they would be a stronger contender next year. Yeah, they will be with Shaq, but I definately won't be rooting for them.

Oh yeah...Phinz > Heat :D

Muck
07-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Go ahead and root for your *****cats. I'll be enjoying Shaq's great baby jump hook and thunderdunks. I just hope the roster isn't gutted in the meantime.

Also, who gives a crap about Shaq's shot if nobody can stop him from making any shot he wants?? Oh, did I mention the baby hook?? :tongue:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=40289

LIQUID24
07-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Shaq ruins basketball. The guy is just a juggernaut and thats it. He's not a basketball player. I was a Lakers fan up until this year, and next year I'll be jumping onto the Bobcats bandwagon, since they are new and all.

You can say "He's the most dominating player in the NBA! LOL!!!11". Okay, I'll buy that - but how's his shot? Horrible, the guy makes 95% of his shots bullying over people for a simple layup or dunk, which I've seen him miss plenty of times. He draws the foul by leaping into people and causing them to come in contact with his arms. I can't stand it anymore, I used to defend him, but I'm sick of him.

Have him Heat, go ahead and lose my respect. I really enjoyed watching the Heat this season, and thought with a bit more rebuilding they would be a stronger contender next year. Yeah, they will be with Shaq, but I definately won't be rooting for them.

WTF? :confused: :confused:

VJ1252
07-10-2004, 11:43 PM

I dont know why you think shaq is good only due to size. There are a lot of other big players in the NBA and not all of them can dominate like Shaq. Shaq has a unique combination of size, quickness, and technique and he not only a great player but an athlete too. The reason show many of his shots are layups or dunks is that nobody can stop him from getting to the hoop. Besides he is center he is supposed to play near the basket I would rather have a big man like Shaq who dominates the post then one like Nowitiski or Garnett who plays on the perimeter.

Phinz4Life
07-10-2004, 11:49 PM
I'll stand by my opinion - I don't like Shaq.

Also, Shaq's not the player he used to be. He's 50 pounds over what he played at in his early Laker days, and has shown no desire to get back in shape.

You know what, I just don't like his style of play. I don't think thats what basketball is about.

t2thejz
07-10-2004, 11:51 PM

Also, Shaq's not the player he used to be. He's 50 pounds over what he played at in his early Laker days, and has shown no desire to get back in shape.

You know what, I just don't like his style of play. I don't think thats what basketball is about.
I agree...It seems a lot of times he just puts his shoulder down and gets to the basket. I dont like him. Regardless of what I think he is certainly one of the top 3 dominating centers in the 90's

Phinz4Life
07-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I agree...It seems a lot of times he just puts his shoulder down and gets to the basket. I dont like him. Regardless of what I think he is certainly one of the top 3 dominating centers in the 90's
Thank you. I also agree he is one of the most dominating centers, I just don't like that kind of playing. I won't argue the fact the guy wins games, it's just not cool how he does it.

AHH! I've reached 100 posts! :woot:

LIQUID24
07-10-2004, 11:56 PM
He's 7'1", 350 lbs. What the hell do you want him to do, shoot 3's???

I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but those reasons are ridiculous.

BTW, I hate Vince Carter because he jumps too high.

t2thejz
07-10-2004, 11:59 PM
He's 7'1", 350 lbs. What the hell do you want him to do, shoot 3's???

I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but those reasons are ridiculous.

BTW, I hate Vince Carter because he jumps too high.
:lol: It just seems like he gets away with a lot of fouls, but when he goes up with all his strength (which is a lot!!) and someone taps him on the arm its a foul.

Muck
07-11-2004, 12:01 AM

You must love the WNBA then.

LIQUID24
07-11-2004, 12:03 AM
:lol: It just seems like he gets away with a lot of fouls, but when he goes up with all his strength (which is a lot!!) and someone tapes him on the arm its a foul.
It's really hard to referee Shaq. You can make an argument that he commits an offensive foul on every play because of his bullish style.

You can also make an argument that he gets fouled on every play. Guys hack him all the time, and a lot of times the refs don't blow the whistle.

t2thejz
07-11-2004, 12:04 AM
You must love the WNBA then.
No i totally understand what he is saying. Thats sorta like saying the NBA is like the WNBA without Shaq. I know thats not what you ment but Shaq is the only one who plays like he does.

t2thejz
07-11-2004, 12:06 AM
It's really hard to referee Shaq. You can make an argument that he commits an offensive foul on every play because of his bullish style.

You can also make an argument that he gets fouled on every play. Guys hack him all the time, and a lot of times the refs don't blow the whistle.
I agree I wouldnt want to be reffing it, Im not saying he is a bad player, Im not saying he doesnt deserve what he has earned, he will make the heat a better franchise. I just dont like him, never have, never will.

Phinz4Life
07-11-2004, 12:06 AM
:lol: It just seems like he gets away with a lot of fouls, but when he goes up with all his strength (which is a lot!!) and someone tapes him on the arm its a foul.
:roflmao: Word.

Muck
07-11-2004, 12:08 AM
The thing is, it LOOKS like a tap. In reality, it sends other guys to the floor.

He's like, bigger and stuff.

Muck
07-11-2004, 12:10 AM
No i totally understand what he is saying. Thats sorta like saying the NBA is like the WNBA without Shaq. I know thats not what you ment but Shaq is the only one who plays like he does.

Not true. Other big guys bang around like that as well. Shaq's just the only guy who's big and strong enough to go thru people.

t2thejz
07-11-2004, 12:11 AM
The thing is, it LOOKS like a tap. In reality, it sends other guys to the floor.

He's like, bigger and stuff. Yeaa hes a big boy. I dont like him because he gets away with calls because of his size. I know, I know it works against him too. IMO he gets more calls his way than against him.

Phinz4Life
07-11-2004, 12:12 AM
He's like, bigger and stuff.
Thats an understatement.

You know that story about the little old lady who lived in a shoe? That's Shaq's shoe.

Phinz4Life
07-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Yah'll don't have any mixed feelings towards me now because of my posts about Shaq right? :(

Just makin sure....

R_t_Kraken
07-11-2004, 02:23 AM
テつサ Web Vote | How much would be too much for the Heat to sacrifice to get Shaq?

If we can keep wade and get the Diesel I'm all over that deal in a heartbeat. Shaq is still the most dominant player in the NBA. Shaq + Wade, that's too good to be true! :D

Al13
07-11-2004, 05:10 AM
deal is not finalized yet, but it will definatly be Odom and Grant. I don't see Riley adding Caron in the trade unless...

1.He gets back either Luke Walton or Kareem Rush(or both)
2. He's got another trade lined up
3. Has FA's already to sign.

when the trade is finalized we'll see

you guys should be happy LA is dumb enough to make that deal without getting an all star in return, shaq to miami for odom, grant and butler ???? lakers gm must be on crack to do this, briant grant wants to play center ? how many small forwards do we have then ??? wade should be the guy that comes here and put odom in the mix, that would be ok, i hope kobe can somehow do something about this, because this isnテつエt anywhere close to an equal deal....

Muck
07-11-2004, 09:55 AM
you guys should be happy LA is dumb enough to make that deal without getting an all star in return, shaq to miami for odom, grant and butler ???? lakers gm must be on crack to do this, briant grant wants to play center ? how many small forwards do we have then ??? wade should be the guy that comes here and put odom in the mix, that would be ok, i hope kobe can somehow do something about this, because this isnテつエt anywhere close to an equal deal....

Lamar Odom is easily an All-Star caliber player. I think of him as a poor man's Kevin Garnett. Long and lanky. He averaged 17.1 points, 9.7 rebs, 4.1 asst last year. One reporter today called him "a walking triple-double".

Caron Bulter was great his rookie season, then had major knee surgery last summer. He finally started to get it back down the stretch. Butler averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals in the first round of the playoffs. Thing is, you're getting sizzling young talent. 24 and 23 years old. But no way do you get Wade. He's pretty much untouchable. And Brian Grant doesn't want to play center. He's just been forced to the last 4 years. Why would he want to play out of position when he was such a good PF previous??

This deal will allow the Lakers to become a younger, athletic running team. A more exciting team. Whereas now Miami becomes a halfcourt team again. But I still don't know who's going to sit on the bench. Caron and Odom are too good to sit. I think LA might be looking to trade some more after this.

minus
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Lamar Odom is easily an All-Star caliber player. I think of him as a poor man's Kevin Garnett. Long and lanky. He averaged 17.1 points, 9.7 rebs, 4.1 asst last year. One reporter today called him "a walking triple-double".

Caron Bulter was great his rookie season, then had major knee surgery last summer. He finally started to get it back down the stretch. Butler averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals in the first round of the playoffs. Thing is, you're getting sizzling young talent. 24 and 23 years old. But no way do you get Wade. He's pretty much untouchable. And Brian Grant doesn't want to play center. He's just been forced to the last 4 years. Why would he want to play out of position when he was such a good PF previous??

This deal will allow the Lakers to become a younger, athletic running team. A more exciting team. Whereas now Miami becomes a halfcourt team again. But I still don't know who's going to sit on the bench. Caron and Odom are too good to sit. I think LA might be looking to trade some more after this.

I bet the Lakers trade Caron somewhere.

Al13
07-11-2004, 10:38 AM

i agree muck that the outlook COULD be good, but still there is a lot of ??? behind this, i didnテつエt even know that butler had knee surgery and both of them shoot a dismal % from the floor, thing is i think even if kobe stays there are teams in the west like the spurs and the wolves that are now clearly better then LA, if this trade goes through

one more question, how good are odom and butler defensivley ? i donテつエt know about that ? can they play D ?

DoLpHiNz34
07-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Lamar plays decent D but for some reason the refs are really hard on him. What I'm saying is he's servicable on D but he can get get into foul trouble real early and then...no D. Caron is a steal factory. He's always hustling and plays awesome D IMO.

Al13
07-11-2004, 05:49 PM
thats good to know thx for the info

DolphinVJ
07-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I follow Basketball very closely as well and post as "CelticsVJ" on Celtic Boards.

I do not like the Lakers and am glad that Miami is getting him. But getting O'neal, where does that place Miami in the Eastern Conference? Miami will be left with O'neal and Dwayne Wade and to a lesser extent Eddie Jones. Is that enough? Plus, keep in mind O'neal's age and weight. Can Wade continue to flourish? He is not a playmaking PG - not a true PG. Odom really helped him with ball handling. Playing with dominant post players like O'neal and Duncan, you need sharp shooters. Is Wade one and how much does E. Jones has left in the shooting dept?

I still have to place Detroit if they resign R. Wallace at the top of E. Conf. and Indiana with J. O'neal, Artest and their deep bench second. If NJ loses K. Martin then Miami will be 3rd otherwise 4th. Basically if they did not trade for S. O'neal they would be in the same position. But if Shaq starts to dominate like 3-4 years ago, I would not discount him carrying Miami further than Odom, Butler and Grant could take.