PDA

View Full Version : Shaq Is A Heat!

Fresh
07-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm just glad that this is done, as it's been frustrating since last week. There are no links yet, but it's at the bottom of espn2's ticker.

Nothing changed in the deal:

Lamar, Caron, Grant, & a future 1st for O'Neal.

UPDATED LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1839693

ohall
07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Sweet deal by the Heat, they totally stole Shaq IMO.

Oliver...

LIQUID24
07-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Oliver...
Not even, you guys gave up A LOT to get him.

Fresh
07-14-2004, 03:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1839693

LIQUID24
07-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Well, I'm releived it's over. I'm happy with what we got in return for Shaq, considering we HAD to trade him. I don't think we're done dealing yet, we simply have too many swingmen. I don't think my Lakers will contend this year, but we have nice young talent with Odom, Grant and (hopefully) Kobe.

As for the Heat, I think Shaq will return to his dominant ways, especially with the lack of size in the east. But it leaves you guys painfully thin (for now). It'll be hard to topple Detroit, but good luck to you guys.

And thank you Shaq for bringing us 3 championships to L.A. I'll miss the big guy. I'm sorry it ended this way. :(

AngryDolphins
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/heat/
woo get ur shaq jerseys now!

Samphin
07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
It is done. I thank Shaq for his contributions, quotes, championships, and everything else he brought to L.A. However, it was time to move on. Best of luck in Miami big fella, help my boy Jones take his team to deeper into the playoffs!

For my Lakers, at current roster, looks painful. Here is hoping some more trades are on the horizon. Personally, I would love to see Fox reitre (freeing up room on the cap), George traded elsewhere and possibly Payton traded as well. Re-sign Fish and have him start in the back court with a hopefully re-signed Kobe. Keep Rush and Walton as your backup guards/forwards along with Butler. Perhaps a trade with Portland for Ratliff can be had. Perhaps we can ship Grant back up to Portland if we take a terrible ocntract off their hands.

G: Fisher
G: Bryant
F: Butler
F: Odom
C: Ratliff

dolphan39
07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Wow! My Nets better gets some more big men to foul him ;)

Fresh
07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Wow! My Nets better gets some more big men to foul him ;)
The Nets are the 4th best team in the East now, but if the Bucks get Etan Thomas(Wiz will match), that could change. ;)

Shaq wearing #32? Cool..

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2004/08/masthead0405_shaq_summer-1.jpg

Deez Nutz
07-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't think my Lakers will contend this yearI think they'll make the playoffs, I'm just not sure how far they'll go. They're still a great team.

Al13
07-14-2004, 04:24 PM
i can´t believe they did it, thats one of the worst moves in nba history :yell:

and this guy on espn puts it in perspective, man i´m pissed, someone please wake me up, KOBE BRYANT you better sign in a hurry now....:yell:

Here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/take/040714)

shaq, thx for giving me the pleasure to see you play in a laker uniform, i will miss ya :(

one more sidenote, i just became a miami heat fan today :D

Bling
07-14-2004, 04:33 PM
G: Fisher
G: Bryant
F: Butler
F: Odom
C: Ratliff

How do you pay Grant that much money to backup? Nobody is willing to pick him up via trade.

and of course, you're saying that Payton and Malone are out?

and I don't know if Bryant is comming back if they're keeping Rush. Rush was the best SG in his draft class, you're either moving Rush or Kobe isn't comming back.

ohall
07-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Not even, you guys gave up A LOT to get him.

We didn't give up one All-Star player to get the most dominate player in the NBA. Sorry we stole him. I will miss Odom and Butler, but those TWO don't combine to make half of a Shaq.

Oliver...

Al13
07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
you are right, the heat absolutely screwed us.....:(

LIQUID24
07-14-2004, 04:36 PM
i can´t believe they did it, thats one of the worst moves in nba history :yell:

and this guy on espn puts it in perspective, man i´m pissed, someone please wake me up, KOBE BRYANT you better sign in a hurry now....:yell:

Here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/take/040714)

shaq, thx for giving me the pleasure to see you play in a laker uniform, i will miss ya :(

one more sidenote, i just became a miami heat fan today :DWhat other choice did we have? The Heat offered the best package (by far). We had to take it.

LIQUID24
07-14-2004, 04:37 PM
We didn't give up one All-Star player to get the most dominate player in the NBA. Sorry we stole him. I will miss Odom and Butler, but those TWO don't combine to make half of a Shaq.

Oliver...
Don't be sorry. Also, you might note that Caron and Odom are under 25. Shaq is 32.

Fresh
07-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I hate giving up Lamar & Caron, but this is the best way to put it IF you're a Heat fan:

We got the best player in the NBA, without even giving up the best player on our team..

Btw- Not a chance in the world Grant can be dealt for Theo Ratliff, who off the top of my head is the TOP shot blocker in the NBA. Ratliff is a better rebounder, shot blocker, & is better with his back to the glass. Overall, he's just a completely better player than Brian Grant. If Ratliff could've been had for Grant...this trade would've never happened, as Miami probably would've dealt for Theo before Shaq even listed us as one of the teams he'd like to play for.

TerryTate
07-14-2004, 04:59 PM
When is shaq gonna be introduced at a press conference?

Al13
07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
i agree, although i would love to get ratliff somehow, our lineup could look like this :

PG: Derek Fisher (if he resigns)
SG: Kobe Bryant (if he´s a clipper, there isn´t enough dope on this planet to get over this)
PF: Lamar Odom (too skinny probably but we don´t have an option)
SF: Caron Butler
C : Theo Ratliff

probably not enough to make some noise in the west though

Bumrush
07-14-2004, 07:39 PM
WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait for the upcoming NBA season. )

Ferretsquig
07-14-2004, 11:56 PM
The Lakers will soon find out what it was like to be the Heat last season. Great fun to watch, but get torn apart by teams with size. Its nice to dream, but the lake show wont be able to land Ratliff or Dampier. Added to that is the fact that unless Fisher is garunteed the startin spot hes bolting. It will be ammusing to watch Kobe launch 40 shots a game.

Muck
07-14-2004, 11:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/heat/
woo get ur shaq jerseys now!

Just look on eBay. I'm sure you'll be able to find a "Shaquille Oneel" out there, complete with Marino's 1984 records at the bottom.

Bodzilla29
07-15-2004, 12:15 AM
If the Heat do not make anymore great additions they have washed their future down the toilet in my opinion.

As it stands right now, can this Heat team even make it out of the east? Who is going to play with Shaq and Wade? Better hope Wade doesn't fall victim to the sophmore slump.

This has short sightedness writen all over it. Shaq is 32, weighs about 340 and isn't a great off season workout warrior. If he gets injured for any amount of time the Heat are NOT comparable to the Lakers in terms of depth over the past number of years and will hurt big time when(not if) Shaq is out.

Odom is a future star in this league, Shaq doesn't have long to go in a great career.

Question: Does this make Miami legitimate title contenders? If not, why make the deal? If so, please explain how and why(not incorporating any 'what if' scenarios).

R_t_Kraken
07-15-2004, 01:03 AM

Oliver...

Hardly...

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have the Diesel with us.

But, Caron was a 1st rounder, and was actually playing like it for awhile. Odom is a monster, and put up big numbers. And on top of that they get a future 1st. Both young guys who have major upside. I think the Lakers are getting a great deal, being that Shaq wanted out.

But since we got to keep Wade, and get Shaq, I'm happy of the deal. I think it works out good for both sides.

Samphin
07-15-2004, 04:03 AM
Ok first off, I just posted a fantasy option for Ratliff. The salaries don't match up anyways I don't think. Portland does have a ton of big guys though, so maybe sending some of our swingmen their way would make it easier. Personally, my number one choice is to see Dampier in L.A. manning the 5 with Grant manning the 4.

One ting you Heat fans are right about, Odom and Butler don't even add up to half of a Shaq. Seriously, wirgh them and than weigh Shaq. Shaq weighs about 4,027 pounds but is listed at 340. No way is he 340. He must have been his stomach caught on the towel rack to be weighed in at 340.

I don't think Miami "stole" him but I think in the short term, they most definately got the better end of the deal.

Once Kobe re-signs with L.A. and gets on the court with Odom and Butler though, a few years form now, they could be a great trio. I am intruiged mostly by the notion about Odom and Kobe running the floor together. I think it could be a clinic in fancy passing and finishing.

Yes, as a Laker fan I am offically stating that I don't want Payton on my team. I would welcome Malone, but I doubt he comes back now ( although it would be a huge boon to have him and his frame playing defense). In fact, I envision a completely younger team for next season. That means, no Malone, no Shaq, no Payton, no Fox, No HoGrant, no Russell and damn sure no ring! :lol: I think L.A. is going to go after another big man. They have to in order to even think about holding their own with the West. Divac, Ostertag, Mihms don't do it for me though. I really wish there was a way to snatch Ratliff or Dampier.

Samphin
07-15-2004, 04:13 AM
How do you pay Grant that much money to backup? Nobody is willing to pick him up via trade.

and of course, you're saying that Payton and Malone are out?

and I don't know if Bryant is comming back if they're keeping Rush. Rush was the best SG in his draft class, you're either moving Rush or Kobe isn't comming back.

First of all, the Lakers weren't stupid enough to pay Grant that much money. That was the doing of your "genius" staff. Secondly, the only reaosn we are taking Grant is to make the salaries mesh. We could not have taken Eddie Jones due to alreayd having Bulter, Odom in the deal and Rush, Walton, George, Fox and probably Kobe manning that position. So Grant is a throw in, an expensive throw in, but he wasn't the meat of this trade. Why do you think L.A insisted on Butler AND the first rounder, to help compensate, not only Shaq leaving, but us taking one of the worst contracts in th eleague back in return.

Secondly, You are on something if you think we hinge on Kareem Rush. I guarentee the one thing that did not come up when all iof this was going down was this, " Say, since Kareem Rush is here next season, maybe we shouldn't go after Kobe." And if it did, that person was fired immediately for even having that thought.

Rush is a great depth player for now. Unless someone gives us a first rounder for him, or offers something to benefit the Lakers in return, he stays on the bench behind Bryant. If Bryant signs with the Clips? Rush is still on the bench behind Butler. He would have more playing time, but no way is he a starter next year. We don't have to move Rush for Kobe to come back. There is plenty of room for both of them

PG: Payton, Vujucic
SG: Bryant, Butler, Rush
SF: Odom, Walton, George, Fox
PF: Grant, Slava, Cook, Douthit
C: Grant, Slava, Cook, Douthit

Personally, I would like to see Payton, George, and Fox leave. Their spots would be taken by Fisher and Dampier. That would give us a true center and an ok backup in Grant, who could start at PF and slide in at C if needed ( for a small lineup such as Fisher, Bryant, Butler, Odom, Grant ).

Again, this is all fantasy for me right now. But it is laughable that you value Rush that highly.

Ferretsquig
07-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Question: Does this make Miami legitimate title contenders? If not, why make the deal? If so, please explain how and why(not incorporating any 'what if' scenarios).

It may not make the heat title contenders, but they are as of now the third and perhaps the second best team in the eastern conference behind the Pistons and Pacers. In addition to that the best center outside of Shaq in the new southeast division will be Okafor....Shaq can sleepwalk through a quarter of the season and still average 30 and 10 against Orlando, Washington, Charlotte, and Atlanta. The most likely scenereo would end with the Heat gettin the 2nd seed in the East which would make them legit contenders to play in the title game. With the Nets likely losing K-Mart the atlantic division is up for grabs and the Pacers and Pistons will fight for the Central spot.

If Shaq decides to show up in Miami out of shape and cruise through the regular season like he has for the past few years in LA the Heat will go nowhere. It would still be a stretch to say they could lose the Southeast division though. The Heat will add a few more players, a vet like Kukoc or Eric Williams and some1 to sub for Wade at point. Anyways its not a stretch at all to say the Heat are immediate contenders in the east, although as of now there are probably 8 or more teams better than them out west.

Ferretsquig
07-15-2004, 04:30 AM
If Bryant signs with the Clips? Rush is still on the bench behind Butler.

Dunno how much you have seen of Butler, but hes never going to be a SG.

Prime Time
07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Yes this makes us legitimate contenders. Who in the East is going to match up against Shaq and be able to stop him? Detroit? Maybe. Indiani? I don't think so.

t2thejz
07-15-2004, 11:18 AM
There is no maybe about Detroit. The proved they could beat Shaq in the Championship. You never know but right now I think the heat are the second best in the East with the pacers behind them in a close third. The Pistons are the number 1 team right now.

Prime Time
07-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Shaq Is A Heat!

Or like Shaq himself said...a Heatian! :lol:

Noodle Arm
07-15-2004, 12:43 PM
There is no maybe about Detroit. The proved they could beat Shaq in the Championship.

Not quite...they proved they could beat the Lakers, not Shaq. Shaq had his way with Ben Wallace and whoever else was defending him. It was the Pistons smart defense on everyone else except Shaq that won them the series. They solved the triangle offense and played incredible D, letting Shaq score but making sure they stopped everyone else. I have a feeling most teams will continue to try that with the Heat now, hopefully Wade and EJ and everyone else will step it up. I agree that as of now, the Pistons should be the considered the top team in the East.....until we beat them of course. ;)

ohall
07-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Not quite...they proved they could beat the Lakers, not Shaq. Shaq had his way with Ben Wallace and whoever else was defending him. It was the Pistons smart defense on everyone else except Shaq that won them the series. They solved the triangle offense and played incredible D, letting Shaq score but making sure they stopped everyone else. I have a feeling most teams will continue to try that with the Heat now, hopefully Wade and EJ and everyone else will step it up. I agree that as of now, the Pistons should be the considered the top team in the East.....until we beat them of course. ;)

Exactly, Kobe not feeding Shaq the ball and Malone being hurt are why the Pistons won the title. Not taking anything away from them, but anyone who watched that series saw Shaq was as dominate as he ever was. I'm confident with Dwayne and Eddie playing with Shaq things could be very diiferent. Kobe was not exactly a team player for the Lakers the last 2-years.

Oliver...

Bodzilla29
07-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Still, the cast around Shaq in LA was vastly superior to the talent around him right now in Miami.

What seasoned role players are in Miami? Who is gonna hit a game winning shot out of nowhere? What kind of frontcourt depth is there and although Wade is good, can he single handedly take over a game and will out a victory like Kobe can? Is he still to young for that? Shaq had a ready made #2 in Kobe, Wade is still very rough around the edges and is better as a 2G, but your lack of a PG is forcing him out of position.

The Heat will contend for the East for 2 years, but right now don't have the horses to get out of the conference. If Shaq leaves without a title this is a horrible, short sighted move.

Kistner10
07-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Still, the cast around Shaq in LA was vastly superior to the talent around him right now in Miami.

What seasoned role players are in Miami? Who is gonna hit a game winning shot out of nowhere? What kind of frontcourt depth is there and although Wade is good, can he single handedly take over a game and will out a victory like Kobe can? Is he still to young for that? Shaq had a ready made #2 in Kobe, Wade is still very rough around the edges and is better as a 2G, but your lack of a PG is forcing him out of position.

The Heat will contend for the East for 2 years, but right now don't have the horses to get out of the conference. If Shaq leaves without a title this is a horrible, short sighted move.

I dont think the Heat's talent is as bad as the Lakers was the last 2 years. They had Kobe and Shaq and that was pretty much it. Malone when healthy was good but he pretty much played all year hurt. The Heat have TWO players that are above average in Wade and Jones. Shaq's going to make them A LOT better. They can still improve themselves in free agency too. The Lakers aren't going to be that good. Kobe is going to score points but he's going to have a tougher time getting good shots without Shaq. Odom and Butler are good players but they aren't even all-stars yet. I can't see those two making them better than they were last year.
The Heat are going to contend for the title this year because of Shaq. It all depends on the health of teams around the league. The Kings probaley would've won a championchip by now if it wasn't for injuries. BTW whoever said there are 8 teams better than the Heat are smoking crack. I can name Spurs, Wolves, and Kings. I think they're better than the Mavs and Rockets at this point.