PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's impact on the Miami sports fan

DrAstroZoom
07-15-2004, 03:38 PM
As some of you may know, I'm a huge Dolphin fan, but since I left Florida in 1981, I've never been a fan of the Heat, the Marlins or the Panthers.

So I'm intrigued by the furor over Shaq coming to the Heat. As an outsider looking in, I would be very interested to know where this personnel event ranks for you South Florida fans in terms of excitement, especially in relation to, say, the Dolphins acquiring Ricky Williams.

Dolfan02
07-16-2004, 04:58 PM
As some of you may know, I'm a huge Dolphin fan, but since I left Florida in 1981, I've never been a fan of the Heat, the Marlins or the Panthers.

So I'm intrigued by the furor over Shaq coming to the Heat. As an outsider looking in, I would be very interested to know where this personnel event ranks for you South Florida fans in terms of excitement, especially in relation to, say, the Dolphins acquiring Ricky Williams.

I'm born, raised, and currently still living in Miami. I'm a big fan of the Dolphins and Heat (not so much the Marlins) and here's my opinion. This trade for Shag is HUGE. By far, no other sports player has generated more buzz and talk than Shaq coming to the Heat. The only thing that might come close to this blockbuster trade (and I emphasize "might") is the trade for Don Shula from the Colts. And Jimmy Johnson and Pat Riley to coach the Dolphins and Heat respectively. But take note: Riley, Shula, and JJ came as coaches, not players. Everyone here has been excited about Shaq playing for the Heat.. friends, family, co-workers, strangers. Seriously, people that I see around which I never would have thought were sports fans are talking about this. You didn't get that with the Ricky Williams trade so it doesn't even come close. And that's probably because Ricky hadn't really made a name for himself in mainstream headlines outside of sports pages, nontheless is not considered to be one of the best all-time in his sport. When we signed Ricky, only some sports guys were buzzing, but not the whole town. Shaq's name is the Jordan-like name of NBA right now so that's why even granmothers are buzzing. I'm not saying Shaq is currently the best player or "most dominant player" like he claims, but his name brings excitement, that's for sure.

Here are some "small" facts: Today, Friday July 16, 2004, the Miami Herald is dedicating the whole front page to Shaq and including a keepsake section all about Shaq. This is very expensive to do. The Miami Heat which averaged about 14,000 last year in a 19,000 seat stadium have already sold a majority of season tickets, not seen since the likes of Alonzo Mourning days. Heat sources are saying that it is inevitable that all seats will be sold on a season-ticket basis at the rate it's going in the last couple of days. But of course, the Heat making the playoffs last season for the first time in 4 years and looking promising also helps this re-grown interest.

But don't buy into the national media.. if the Heat truly want to contend to go far into the playoffs, they need one more big-signing (point guard or power forward) to do that, because they gave away 3/5 of last year's starting line-up.

DrAstroZoom
07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Fantastic analysis. Very interesting. I may have to become a Heat fan after all.

kud
07-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Fantastic analysis. Very interesting. I may have to become a Heat fan after all.

No bangwagoners! :D jk.

Anyways, I think Shaq coming to the Heat, is bigger than Ricky coming to the Dolphins. Shaq, has made a name for himself, and has accomplished much in his illustrious career. When Ricky first came to Miami, his name wasn't THAT well known. At least not in comparison to The Diesel of now. I even remember some dolfans being skeptical of the RW trade at first, including myself. But now of course, all dolfans love Ricky, and what he brings to the team. But in my opinion, this is the biggest trade in all of Miami pro sports history.

This is all I've heard about, everywhere I look for the past week. It doesn't look like the buzz in the air here in south Florida over Shaq is gonna slow down anytime soon either.