PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong: Greatest American Athlete?

Dolfan02
07-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of cycling, but one thing is clear: Lance Armstrong clearly belongs somewhere in the top 3 greatest American atheletes of all-time history (I would even put him first or in 2nd behind Michael Jordan). The fact that he fought off cancer and went on to win FIVE straight Tour de France titles with a possible record 6th title, is just something I've never heard of before. Not to mention he also has to fight off the dirty tricks by the French and their media who try to accuse him of doping. Lance has always been willing to test at anytime and has NEVER tested positive. Yet the French media are so jealous that an American is dominating one of their most prestigious sporting events that they're looking for cheap excuses instead of realizing that they're looking at one of the greatest in their sport.

Lance is clearly one of the purest greatest American athletes of all-time, but I'm surprised how the American media only NOW has really picked up on the story. It's a shame that the general American media hasn't picked up on Lance and cycling a bit earlier. I will be following Lance this year, even though I don't have access to watch the Tour, and hope he gets the recognition he deserves in this country even if he doesn't win this year.

Go Lance!!

You filthy French are always Jealous of us!!

Fin_Fanatic
07-16-2004, 05:55 PM
THE FRENCH :monkeyl:

cmon, i mean the guy BEAT CANCER!!!!

Muck
07-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Not just "cancer". He has testicular cancer that spread all the way up to his BRAIN. They gave him two weeks to live. And not only did he come back, but he came back and DOMINATED. He's about to break the record. The most impressive part to me is, he's at his best during the toughest stages of the Tour. When they get into those grueling stretches in the mountains....going uphill....that's when he pulls away. Nobody can touch him.

I absolutely feel that he's one of our greatest athletes ever. And coming from a family of distance runners, I truly respect the discipline of endurance.

MikeO
07-17-2004, 10:32 PM
And anyone who thinks this guy isn't an "athlete" and that this isn't a "sport" all I can say is..........take a bike. Go to the bottom of the biggest hill you can find, and try and ride up the hill.

Then......times that by 10, and try doing it for one month straight!

When it comes to greatest American athlete of all time. He isn't #1 on my list. I still have Jim Brown and Babe Ruth ahead of him. But he damn sure is #3 and if he wins a couple more of these things they he might be #1 (at least on my list) very soon!!

And I wouldn't argue with ANYONE who had Lance #1 on their list! He is that damn good!

iceblizzard69
07-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Lance Armstrong is an incredible athlete. He is now only 20 seconds behind so it's looking likely that he will win #6. :woot:

Prime Time
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Not just "cancer". He has testicular cancer that spread all the way up to his BRAIN. They gave him two weeks to live.

I didnt know about that. I knew he had cancer in his testicles and in his brain, but I never knew they told him he had two weeks to live.

t2thejz
07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
About 99 percent of people of have that type of cancer spred to the brain die. Lances case was a miricle

Muck
07-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Lance Armstrong is an incredible athlete. He is now only 20 seconds behind so it's looking likely that he will win #6. :woot:

They're in the mountains now. And true to form, he's made his move to the front of the pack. He's 1:25 ahead now.

It was an impressive display by Armstrong, and one that must have been demoralizing for his pursuers.

WharfRat
07-20-2004, 11:35 PM
They're in the mountains now. And true to form, he's made his move to the front of the pack. He's 1:25 ahead now.

Yes indeed he has, as was posted earlier in my (almost) daily updates of the tour. In fact, the "real" mountain stages started Friday.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=40261&page=2

;)

Ivan Basso, a previously little known rider from Italy, seems to be the only real threat to Lance at this point in the tour...Lance's strength is the mountain stages (followed closely by time trials), and until now, Jan Ullrich from Germany (also strong in the mountains) was thought to pose his biggest challenge in the Pyrenees... but Lance is on a mission. First, to win the 6th despite the French's efforts to undermine his accomplishments through rule changes in the tour, and constant accusations of doping (despite clean tests every time). Secondly, to get back to his new main squeeze, Cheryl Crow ;)

Do ya blame him??? :hump:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif