PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: "Shaq's presence in Miami just a waste" / Miami RIPPED

Noodle Arm
07-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Wow this guy has some jealousy issues. http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20040717-121952-8662r.htm

There may be no bigger dog of a sports town than Miami. Here's what a pathetic sports town Miami is: Next month city officials will auction off Miami Arena, the old downtown arena for the Heat :shakeno:

LIQUID24
07-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Ouch.

kud
07-17-2004, 11:56 AM
There are cities with basketball teams far more deserving of Shaquille O'Neal, cities like New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago — places that have an appreciation and passion for the game.

Notice how he left out Washington? :lol:

On his comment about the attendence, of the pro south florida teams...

I love all of the teams he mentioned. Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, Panthers. Unfortunately I can't afford to attend many games. But that doesn't make me any less of a fan. Also, I think I should add, when a team is "losing", as the Heat and Panthers have been doing more recently, I see no reason why fans would want to pay hard earned money just to watch their team lose live, when they can watch it on their television for free.

American Airlines Arena was sold out much towards the end of the year, once the Heat started winning, and cruised into the playoffs.

WestPhish
07-17-2004, 12:34 PM
One part that this idiot forgot to point out is that Shaq didn't want to go to any of those towns. Shaq wanted to come here. The fact that Shaq wanted nothing to do with those "sport" towns probably irqs this guy to no end. Tough cookies dude....live with it :D

MikeO
07-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Found this today..........

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20040717-121952-8662r.htm

Calls Shaq to Miami a waste and rips Miami as a city as a whole

DolphinDevil28
07-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, he didn't say anything bad about our Fins so I'll reserve judgement.

Deez Nutz
07-18-2004, 03:30 AM
My take on the fact that no one goes to the Marlins games is; who wants to sit in the hot sun to watch a game that they can watch from the comfort of their own home when they know that the money they use to buy the tickets and the overpriced food at the game goes directly into H. Wayne Huizenga's pocket? The same with the Panthers, except that the National Cash Register Center (now known as Office Depot Center) is in the middle of nowhere. I don't want that pig to have any of my money. The Marlins will sell more tickets when they get the new stadium, but in order to get the money for the stadium, they have to auction off an arena that they use to have the circus once a year. What do they need the Miami Arena for, when the American Airlines Arena is 6 blocks away, and newer?

Dolfan02
07-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Hahaha!! You have to admit, the author is pretty funny.

But seriously, speaking as someone from Miami, there are some things that the author is correct and some things which he just doesn't have a clue about.

The author only makes judgements based on stats and data he reads off a chart about our attendance figures, but I can give you so many reasons why our figures are not like other "passionate" sports towns. It is true that in Miami unlike the majority of other sports towns, we have so many damn options in Miami for people to enjoy themselves other than attending pro sports games. Our great weather almost all year round have made South Floridians more attracted and "accustomed" to doing things like boating, fishing, the many beaches, nightclubs, etc. Another "problem" is the tons of hot women in Miami. Let's be honest... sports games are mainly attened by men. With so many fine women at other places in the same town, its sometimes challenging to tell your buddies "hey do you want to go to another Heat or Marlins game or do you want to go to spot A, B, or C where you will see 100 fine women next to you?" (And if you choose South Beach between 6th and 12th, its 100 topless fine women). I don' think Cleveland or Green Bay have the same things to see or do in their towns. So sitting at Heat homes games for 41 nights or 81 Marlins home games in one year is asking for a big sacrifice for many Miamians because of the many things to do in town. I also think the influx of immigrants and non-Miamians who don't care about Miami pro teams don't exactly help the cause. The Dolphins don't have this problem because 1. its only 8 home games 2. The Dolphins never suck =) 3. its basically an outing event with the tailgating and the weekend warm weather 4. the Dolphins are Miami's oldest team with lots of tradition and winning 4. the Dolphin cheerleaders make up for any lack of fine women visuals.

With that being said, I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody... can Miami improve in terms of sports supporters? Of course. Are we as bad as this author says? Heck no. On any given day, I guarantee you, you will see more people here playing sports in the parks and neighborhoods than any other city, and again thanks to the good weather. Miami is the nation's capital of flag-football. South Florida is the most recruited area in the whole country for college football. Miami High School is usually #1-3 seed in basketball in the nation. Baseball is played immensly here, UM and FIU (both Universities in Miami) are some of the country's best. And soccer is played almost everywhere too.

Shaq coming the Heat is huge and the Heat will sell every ticket as season-tickets. Is that a bad thing? Why is the author furious? The Heat use to pack the house every night with Alonzo Mourning just a few years ago prior to the Heat's downfall... but I don't see the author mentioning that. A legitimate question might have been "Is Miami just a bandwagon team?" Maybe. It could just be the balance we carry with the other options we have in this town. "You better put a descent team on the field/court and look like you want to win, or I'll just start going to the Beach more often!" Hey... that's why we have more successful sports teams than most other cities.

They have what we might call "options" in Miami. You didn't see Crockett and Tubbs hanging out at Heat games. That was funny. However, you do see Warren Sapp, Alex Rodriguez, Slyvester Stallone, The Rock, Chris Chambers, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Will Smith, Enrique Iglesias, among other celebrities hanging out at Heat games. Only the Knicks and Lakers can match us here.

Bodzilla29
07-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Not being in Miami and not reading the article....that said....

I don't consider Miami to be a great sports city at all. Not one bit.

locals, please correct me if I am wrong, but great sports towns sell out a lot more than Miami teams do.

Fresh
07-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Washington Post? The same idiots who said that Jarvis Hayes would be the 2003 ROY? The people who said that Stackhouse was worth more than Erick Dampier, so Washington shouldn't have interest(pre-draft)?

I refuse to read an article from them...even if it has something do to with breaking news on the biggest trade in the history of the NBA.

DolFan31
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Washington Post? The same idiots who said that Jarvis Hayes would be the 2003 ROY? The people who said that Stackhouse was worth more than Erick Dampier, so Washington shouldn't have interest(pre-draft)?

I refuse to read an article from them...even if it has something do to with breaking news on the biggest trade in the history of the NBA.

Actually it was the Washinton Times, which is owned by the Moonies (http://www.perkel.com/politics/moonies/index.htm), and is really a right-wing propagandist newspaper and the sports section, like the rest of the paper, is also a joke.