PDA

View Full Version : Crazy story, must read

phinfan27
07-17-2004, 07:54 PM
http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

Finsflurry
07-17-2004, 08:34 PM
While I don't believe in discriminating, if what that lady says is true and those guys were really acting like that than hell yes I would be suspicious, and she had a right to be. They know the situation and how people suspect Middle Easterners after 9/11, they brought their problems upon themselves.If it were me I would've gone to the bathroom and tried to see what theywere up to... if I'm gonna die, I'm going to go down fighting...

ABrownLamp
07-17-2004, 08:44 PM
I would like to say I would have done this that and the other if I were on that plane, but in all likelyhood, I would probably end up just sitting there, doing as little as possible to piss them off. It's a crappy situation and really there's nothing you can do but hope that there are federal marshalls on the plane.

Y-TownPhinVet
07-17-2004, 08:48 PM
:yell: Tomorrow morning , I'm putting my "wife to be" on an airplane to Shreveport. Interesting story, and very well informative. Paranoia can lead to many opinions. I think the U.S. SHOULD racially profile Muslim men between the ages of 16-50. After all, Isn't that group responsible for "ALL" of the terrorist attacks since 1972. Although most of the Muslims I have met and worked with in Saudi, Kuwait and Bahrain are good peace loving people, Racial profiling of this group is a must, screw what they think.

Sorry, I'm a player in anti-terrorism at work and for the government, This story is insane that nobody stopped their activities. However, on a lighter note, Muslims do wash there smelly feet before they pray, and they pray alot, which could explain the trips to the head. They also won't pray on an Airliner in public view (that would cause a panic). Although concern is warranted on the writers behalf, and security should have been better, this is probably a case of hightened paranoia. If we as Americans are going to fight terrorism, knowing the customs of Muslims could help in determining what is a threat and what is just innocent normal activity. Considering the fear this writer displayed, and rightfully so, had she had some understanding of the culture, we probably wouldn't be talking about this. But it is a boring offseason, this info could help stop another attack! Maybe the moderators can direct this thread to an appropriate place. Good post anyway1

Ross
07-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I read that story yesterday and it was a scary read as far as I am concerned.

We need to quit dicking around while tying our own hands behind our back. Is this a war or not!?!

--Ross

ohall
07-17-2004, 09:53 PM
And some ppl think the Patriot act is too much?!

We are our own worst enemy as far as I'm concerned. Common sense is common sense, and I see no reason why it would be profiling to do what seems to be common sense.

When you think about it sometimes, the bad guy has a leg up because we give them TWO legs up. It's a crazy country in some ways. We won't learn until more innocent ppl die.

Oliver...

Muck
07-17-2004, 10:28 PM
That was insane. One-way tickets?? And didn't we have someone trying to blow up a plane headed from Paris to New York with explosives in his shoe (Richard Reid)??

Syria is a terrorist hotbed. And in this day and age, we have no choice but to be suspicious and profile in airports. Haven't we seen enough planes blowing up and flying into things??

BTW - I'm Syrian

Ross
07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
:Sorry, I'm a player in anti-terrorism at work and for the government, This story is insane that nobody stopped their activities. However, on a lighter note, Muslims do wash there smelly feet before they pray, and they pray alot, which could explain the trips to the head. They also won't pray on an Airliner in public view (that would cause a panic). Although concern is warranted on the writers behalf, and security should have been better, this is probably a case of hightened paranoia. If we as Americans are going to fight terrorism, knowing the customs of Muslims could help in determining what is a threat and what is just innocent normal activity. Considering the fear this writer displayed, and rightfully so, had she had some understanding of the culture, we probably wouldn't be talking about this. But it is a boring offseason, this info could help stop another attack! Maybe the moderators can direct this thread to an appropriate place. Good post anyway1

You know what Gary, you're probably right. This writer was scared to death because she probably failed to understanding thier culture.

But what the real problem here is they mis-understand our culture. They are flying over OUR soil, not their own. It shouldn't be our concern to understand them when they show no respect for ours.

That is what is at fault here...

--Ross

DolphinDevil28
07-17-2004, 11:08 PM
This is perfect proof that we need the Patriot Act.

ABrownLamp
07-18-2004, 01:23 AM
This is perfect proof that we need the Patriot Act.
No. There is no reason to imprison people without telling them why they are being imprisoned, and without allowing them appropriate representation. The Patriot Act needs to be revised...

ohall
07-18-2004, 01:41 AM
No. There is no reason to imprison people without telling them why they are being imprisoned, and without allowing them appropriate representation. The Patriot Act needs to be revised...

The Patriot act removes a ton of red tape that removes the grand jury from the equation and pushes the warrant request directly to a judges desk. As far as I'm concerned that's a GREAT thing. The lawyers have pushed too much red tape into our judicial system and it has to be corrected before this country chokes under the weight of that red tape. I'm sick of tired of our safety being compromised while lawyers are able to buy custom homes because of that red tape.

Please name one American resident/citizen who has been unjustly accused and held under the Patriot act?

Oliver...

phinfan27
07-18-2004, 04:36 AM
And some ppl think the Patriot act is too much?!

We are our own worst enemy as far as I'm concerned. Common sense is common sense, and I see no reason why it would be profiling to do what seems to be common sense.

When you think about it sometimes, the bad guy has a leg up because we give them TWO legs up. It's a crazy country in some ways. We won't learn until more innocent ppl die.

Oliver...

I agree.... some innocent people will get profiled but they can deal with it to save lives..... If I was in Africa and I got profiled because I w as white I wouldnt complain

ohall
07-18-2004, 11:04 AM
I agree.... some innocent people will get profiled but they can deal with it to save lives..... If I was in Africa and I got profiled because I w as white I wouldnt complain

My thing is always, if you have nothing to hide you don't have anything to worry about. This is not the 1960's, the chances of some odd ball planting evidence or going after someone just because they are a certain race are very low IMO. I could be wrong, but I think this is a much better world, and we are no longer living in that type of world.

Oliver...

phinfan27
07-18-2004, 11:07 AM
My thing is always, if you have nothing to hide you don't have anything to worry about. This is not the 1960's, the chances of some odd ball planting evidence or going after someone just because they are a certain race are very low IMO. I could be wrong, but I think this is a much better world, and we are no longer living in that type of world.

Oliver...

If we continue this trend, more innocent people will die. Not just white americans either, other minorities will die as well like they did in the WTC. So racial profiling should not exsist when it comes to airport security

Ross
07-21-2004, 10:06 PM
If we continue this trend, more innocent people will die. Not just white americans either, other minorities will die as well like they did in the WTC. So racial profiling should not exsist when it comes to airport security

Could you please explain why racial profiling of Muslum terrorist will cause innocent people to die?

Just would like to know the thought process that goes into that type of opinion...

--Ross

phinfan27
07-21-2004, 11:40 PM
I said it wrong. There should be racial profiling at airports.

Ross
07-22-2004, 11:43 PM
10-4

That makes sense to me...

phinfan27
07-23-2004, 12:23 AM
10-4

That makes sense to me...

Ya I said it wrong. They should profile whoever they want if it saves lives. They can deal with it.

genx23
07-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Please name one American resident/citizen who has been unjustly accused and held under the Patriot act?

Oliver...

So its alright to do if it isn't an American?

Ever heard of Maher Arar? Probably not. A Canadian citizen, returning to Montreal after a trip to Tunisia has a stop over in New York. He's taken in by immigration for questioning. Held without a lawyer, without being able to make a phone call. Then, after being flown to Washington for more questioning, he's deported. Not to Canada, where he should have been, where his passport is from, but to Jordan, and then on to Syria, where he hadn't lived for 16 years. Deported to a country that has been regularly condemned by the State Department for its use of torture. And indeed he was tortured repeatedly and held for almost a year until he was finally released, never actually being charged with anything.

And why was he taken in in the first place? The Syrians claimed he was part of something called the 'Muslim Brotherhood' because his mother's cousin had been some time ago. And because the RCMP (believe me, my government's hands aren't entirely clean either) passed on information that his lease had been signed by someone who knew someone who knew someone that was allegedly related to Al Qaeda. Thats it...vague information that he maybe might know someone who might know someone who is involved in terrorist activity. That's worth bascially abducting a man and holding him without trial, without charges for nearly a year?

genx23
07-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Also, a follow up on the original story:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/taylor200407211921.asp

ohall
07-23-2004, 10:53 AM
So its alright to do if it isn't an American?

Ever heard of Maher Arar? Probably not. A Canadian citizen, returning to Montreal after a trip to Tunisia has a stop over in New York. He's taken in by immigration for questioning. Held without a lawyer, without being able to make a phone call. Then, after being flown to Washington for more questioning, he's deported. Not to Canada, where he should have been, where his passport is from, but to Jordan, and then on to Syria, where he hadn't lived for 16 years. Deported to a country that has been regularly condemned by the State Department for its use of torture. And indeed he was tortured repeatedly and held for almost a year until he was finally released, never actually being charged with anything.

And why was he taken in in the first place? The Syrians claimed he was part of something called the 'Muslim Brotherhood' because his mother's cousin had been some time ago. And because the RCMP (believe me, my government's hands aren't entirely clean either) passed on information that his lease had been signed by someone who knew someone who knew someone that was allegedly related to Al Qaeda. Thats it...vague information that he maybe might know someone who might know someone who is involved in terrorist activity. That's worth bascially abducting a man and holding him without trial, without charges for nearly a year?

Yes it is to me anyway. I care about this country not any other country.

Oliver...

Ross
07-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a fantastic tale genx23. But nothing is perfect and one man's life isn't worth thousands of other lives because he got the raw end of the deal....

--Ross

iceblizzard69
07-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes it is to me anyway. I care about this country not any other country.

Oliver...

That's really sad. The USA isn't the only country in the world that matters.

ohall
07-23-2004, 04:51 PM
That's really sad. The USA isn't the only country in the world that matters.

It is to me.

Oliver...