PDA

View Full Version : New, Younger Lakers may get older

Samphin
07-19-2004, 06:53 PM
My Lakers are on the verge of signing Vlade Divac, 36, to play Center for them once again. They also still hold out hope for Karl MAlone to come back. If this were to happen, not only would it solidify the front court and push some talented players to the bench, deepening that, it would also make them much older.

I like the moves for two reasons. One, both Malone and Divac are great passers and rebounders. The team is being built around Kobe to where the big men need to rebound kick it out and onyl score on putbacks an last resorts. Malone plays great defense and will help with guys such as Garnett, Duncan, and others.

PG: Payton
SG: Bryant
SF: Odom
PF: Malone
C: Divac

Bench:

PF/C: Grant
G/F: Butler
G: Rush
PG: Vujacic
F: George
F: Fox
PF: Medvedenko
F: Walton
PF: Cook
PF/C: Douthit

Obviosly, some people will have to go. I would like to see Payton go, but he is intergral in getting Malone back in L.A. and with Fisher now in Oakland, there aren't great replacements out there. Short of Jason Kidd, Payton is here to stay. George, Fox, Rush and Cook could all go for one or two players back. Fox may also retire which would help out tremendously.

I like the idea of Grant and Butler coming off the bench. Grant is perfect for backing up both PF and C and it should help him preserve his knees longer. Butler, who also may get traded, would be great to spell Bryant or Odom when needed. When a small lineup is needed, you could team Odom, Bryant, Payton, and Butler together on the floor with any of the PF/C in Malone, Grant.

What do my fellow Laker fans think?

TerryTate
07-19-2004, 07:14 PM
this is not a bad lineup...

Prime Time
07-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I was watching Around the Horn, and heard something about it but I wasn't paying full attention so I was like...no they didnt say Lakers. But I also heard Mariotti say that Divac is old and his stamina is not up there anymore and he'll have 16 mins a game or something. I don't see him doing much. I see this as his second to last year.

Samphin
07-19-2004, 08:26 PM
I was watching Around the Horn, and heard something about it but I wasn't paying full attention so I was like...no they didnt say Lakers. But I also heard Mariotti say that Divac is old and his stamina is not up there anymore and he'll have 16 mins a game or something. I don't see him doing much. I see this as his second to last year.

So does Divac and everyone else. He wants to end his career on a european team so that his kids can spend time in his home country, or at least continent. I also wouldn't put much faith into Mariotti. He is a sports writer for Chicago and that show is for entertainment purposes only. They often times argue points they don't even believe in just because they have to take the opposite stance.

I don't believe Divac will give us 40 minutes a night, but if it lures Malone back and pushes Grant to the bench, it makes L.A. deeper than last year on the bench and a great gamer in Grant to spell both Malone or Divac when they need to come out. Divac passing and rebounding is what we really need from our big men now and he can do that. Plus, this allows Odom to slide down to the Small Forward psot where his agility, heigth combined with his ball handling skills could make him a mismatch over many a Small forward in the west. It also pushed Butler to the bench where he can come in and spell both Odom and Bryant or play alongside them. This is, of course, assuming he isn't traded.

While he isn't fast, he is still faster than Shaq so when fast break opprtunities arise, he should be able to scamper down the court for an easy dunk or pass off to Bryant, Odom, Butler, Payton, Malone. The bottom line is that the Lakers now have some size in the middle and if Malone comes back, should have a formidable fornt court for defending the big men out west. This gives L.A. more options for gameplanning and making an offense work. While Floppy Divac will never be confused for Shaq, he was probably the seocnd best C on the market ( Dampier being first ) and the first realistic option for L.A.

Prime Time
07-19-2004, 09:52 PM
I still don't see you guys being contenders :)

Samphin
07-20-2004, 12:08 AM
I still don't see you guys being contenders :)

I am sure you think Miami will be though right? :rolleyes:

Shaq, Wade and who else? Shaq doesn't like Eddie Jones and no one else on that roster is proven. Plus, Shaq gobbles up almost all of the cap room and that means less depth. Prepare for at least 20 games of non shaq Heat basketball as he nurses his toe/knee/back/brain.

I like Shaq and appreciate everything he has done for the Lakers and the community. He brought good times and championships to the mighty Lakers. I also like the Heat. Mourning and Jones are two of my favorite players ever and I hope Shaq and Miami goes far together. In my gut though, I have a feeling that Miami won't get too much further with the big fella in the middle. :)

t2thejz
07-20-2004, 07:39 AM

Shaq, Wade and who else? Shaq doesn't like Eddie Jones and no one else on that roster is proven. Plus, Shaq gobbles up almost all of the cap room and that means less depth. Prepare for at least 20 games of non shaq Heat basketball as he nurses his toe/knee/back/brain.

I like Shaq and appreciate everything he has done for the Lakers and the community. He brought good times and championships to the mighty Lakers. I also like the Heat. Mourning and Jones are two of my favorite players ever and I hope Shaq and Miami goes far together. In my gut though, I have a feeling that Miami won't get too much further with the big fella in the middle. :)
Well remember Miami is in the east. They have a better chance of being a contender than the Lakers

nyjunc
07-20-2004, 09:39 AM
this is not a bad lineup...

Not bad but has the look of a 6-8 seed in the West.

Fresh
07-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Like Caron said, he wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before or sometime during this season. He's their trade bait now..

Fresh
07-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Shaq, Wade and who else? Shaq doesn't like Eddie Jones and no one else on that roster is proven.

You should try doing a little research before responding to posts.

Eddie Jones loved the move to bring in Shaq. He feels it will help him, the team, and the overall development of Dwyane Wade. Other than D-Wade(who now has a guy who can help him put up 6-8 assists a night), who else could be happier than Eddie? He's a shooter who now has the most dominating center in the paint, who will free him up from downtown. Note that Eddie Jones finished 3rd in the NBA last year in 3-pointers..

The problems between Shaq & Eddie are done. Guess what Shaq said at his press conference, smart one? He said that the ONLY reason he knocked EJ was to FIRE EJ UP, because he knows that he's the type of player who plays better when he's fired up. He also said that he & EJ are friends.

Ferretsquig
07-20-2004, 08:40 PM

I have a feeling that Miami won't get too much further with the big fella in the middle. :)

Miami is easily more of a contender than the Lakers. As of now before any of the additions they are sure to make, the Heat are easily the best team in the Southeast. The lake show could also easily slip to third best in their division, behind Sac and Phoenix. The Lakers desperatly need Malone to come back. As of now the Lakers are certainly behind Sac, San Antonio, Houston and Utah. They are probably on par with Denver, Memphis, Dallas and Phoenix. That leaves them fighting for the 5-8th seed while the Heat will sit confortably on top of the leagues weakest division and compete for the 1st-3rd seed in the east.

Samphin
07-20-2004, 09:28 PM
You should try doing a little research before responding to posts.

Eddie Jones loved the move to bring in Shaq. He feels it will help him, the team, and the overall development of Dwyane Wade. Other than D-Wade(who now has a guy who can help him put up 6-8 assists a night), who else could be happier than Eddie? He's a shooter who now has the most dominating center in the paint, who will free him up from downtown. Note that Eddie Jones finished 3rd in the NBA last year in 3-pointers..

The problems between Shaq & Eddie are done. Guess what Shaq said at his press conference, smart one? He said that the ONLY reason he knocked EJ was to FIRE EJ UP, because he knows that he's the type of player who plays better when he's fired up. He also said that he & EJ are friends.

Yeah, you are right, that must have been why Shaq ripped into Jones. :rolleyes: Of course he is going to say that now, they are teammates again. It didn't take too much time the first time around for Shaq and Kobe to kick Eddie's butt out of town. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again, which would be sad because I like both players tremendously.

However, for you to insinuate that I don't know what I am tlaking about is ludicrous. I have followed the Lakers for the better part of my years and have heard Shaq make funny comments, nasty comments, borken promises ( as he did today ) and stupid aloof comments. Shaq is a great guy I presume, but a master of reverse psychology he is not.

I realize you guys are enamored with him right now, and you should be, but eventually you will start to see his warts and all. I don't know how many times we heard that the problems between Kobe and Shaq were done too. Just because both sides are toeing the company line, doesn't mean they like each other behind the scenes.

Also, I said previously that I wish the best for Jones, Shaq and the Heat, I just don't see them getting too far. Pistons are better, the Pacers are also better in my opinion. Shaq makes a big difference but when (not if) he goes out with an injury, what will you guys do? Jones and Wade will be your only options and teams should be able to stop the two of them with no one in the middle.

gmoney41
07-30-2004, 12:50 PM
People think all of a sudden the Heat are going to be a awsome team in the East, yeah theyll be contenders until Shaq starts to get up in age, but what if Shaq got hurt? Whats the Heats back-up plan? Cause Dwayne Wade cant do it all.

Prime Time
07-30-2004, 01:30 PM
People think all of a sudden the Heat are going to be a awsome team in the East, yeah theyll be contenders until Shaq starts to get up in age

If they are going to be contenders...doesn't that make them awesome? :eek: