PDA

View Full Version : Drogba to Chelsea (and Tiago, too)

iceblizzard69
07-20-2004, 10:00 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=305254&cc=5901

I think Drogba is a good signing. He had some really good games last year for Marseille in international competition. Also, Marseille signed him last year for 20 million pounds less than they are selling him for.

Prime Time
07-20-2004, 05:25 PM
I think Tiago will do more for Chelsea then Drogba. Tiago is solid for the most part although sometimes he overcommits on plays.

Mebeverine
07-20-2004, 07:27 PM
what the hell does over commits on plays mean in relation to football? :lol:

Drogba I'm not hugely keen on, but I like Tiago. Drogba does have all the physical attributes to be a better player in England than he was in France though. Reminds me of Henry with the way he plays.

Either way, I'm excited about seeing these guys!

I haven't missed being at a Chelsea home game in 8 years, and I definitely won't break that trend this year.

Bodzilla29
07-22-2004, 01:17 PM
http://leadersdufutur.free.fr/drogba.wmv

right click.....

All of Drogba's goals from last year(most if not all....). His heading ability is what impresses me most, that along with the fact that the man has raw pace and does NOT get caught from behind. Haven't had a striker like that at Stamford Bridge in a good many years.

Mebeverine
07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
You can't argue with results though, and Drogba's results don't fill me with confidence. He looked great in the UEFA Cup, but finished 4th top scorer in the relatively weak French League.

His heading ability is what impresses me most, that along with the fact that the man has raw pace and does NOT get caught from behind.

Thing is that tangibles don't really work in football...Chris Sutton was a better headerer of a ball, and was very quick. Look at him.

Haven't had a striker like that at Stamford Bridge in a good many years.

We did have JFH who scored pletny of goals without those attributes. I'd take Hasselbaink of 5 years ago over Drogba EVERY TIME. All I've heard at the Bridge for years is how we need a big striker. But not too many Chelsea are sure that man is Drogba...He does, on the plus side, sound like Kerry Dixon :-D

Many fans are MORE excited about Kezman.

Mebeverine
07-27-2004, 09:27 AM
by the way Bozilla, I noticed a Free Ireland thing in your sig. Did you know Chelsea are STAUNCHLY anti-Republican and Pro-Protestant? Chelsea fans form the 'British Alliance' with Rangers and Linfield and there is always huge trouble at Chelsea Liverpool games, and many of the guys I drink with travel to Old Firm games to fight Celtic fans. Something to watch out for.

Bodzilla29
07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
by the way Bozilla, I noticed a Free Ireland thing in your sig. Did you know Chelsea are STAUNCHLY anti-Republican and Pro-Protestant? Chelsea fans form the 'British Alliance' with Rangers and Linfield and there is always huge trouble at Chelsea Liverpool games, and many of the guys I drink with travel to Old Firm games to fight Celtic fans. Something to watch out for.

Oh yes fully aware. My father had season tickets at the Bridge when he was younger but moved to Ireland a little after and startind supporting Celtic while keeping his ties with Chelsea.

Weird combination, I know. But it is very easy to support both from afar. I also have some very good friends from Glascow that are stout Rangers supporters, but we only have fun with the rivalry.

People(who know what I'm talking about) always raise an eyebrow when I tell them I supprt Chelsea yet hate Rangers with a passion! haha It may sound odd in Britain but over here nobody would have a clue because they all think Rangers are a hockey team in NY and Celtic are a basketball team from Boston! haha

P.S. is it just PR that Chelsea fans are well behaved these days or is there still a touch of the 60s-70s hooliganism with the club? I talk to many CFC supporters everyday on the CSR messageboard. Most couldn't care less about religion, politics, etc. yet some still harp on the "old days." Since you seem to be smack dab right in the middle of it, what is your take on CFC supporters' views?

Bodzilla29
07-27-2004, 10:25 AM
You can't argue with results though, and Drogba's results don't fill me with confidence. He looked great in the UEFA Cup, but finished 4th top scorer in the relatively weak French League.

He scored 19 lague goals with evidently no help or support from anyone. Marseille supporters idolize the man and say he would have been even better if he had a few creative players around him. Also, he was player of the Year so he must have many facets to his game if he won that award with only being 4th top scorer.

Thing is that tangibles don't really work in football...Chris Sutton was a better headerer of a ball, and was very quick. Look at him.

Yes but Vialli did not use wingers so there were no crosses coming in for him. It was a very compact midfield that was not indusive to his skills. Also, he hardly had a chance to redeem himself before he was shipped out to Celtic.

We did have JFH who scored pletny of goals without those attributes. I'd take Hasselbaink of 5 years ago over Drogba EVERY TIME. All I've heard at the Bridge for years is how we need a big striker. But not too many Chelsea are sure that man is Drogba...He does, on the plus side, sound like Kerry Dixon :-D

Many fans are MORE excited about Kezman.

JFH would not fit well with Mourinho because he does not hustle. For JM the first line of defense is his strikers, can you imagine Jimmy harassing fullbacks for 75-90 minutes? Yes he scored goals but what has JFH EVER won, anywhere? The same can be said of Drogba but Jimmy has been at big clubs for years, whereas this will be Drogba's 2nd season. Of course there is no guarentee of success, but I like his chances.

Kezman looks class. Great movement, excellant acceleration, and uses minimal touches.

Mebeverine
07-27-2004, 06:02 PM
P.S. is it just PR that Chelsea fans are well behaved these days or is there still a touch of the 60s-70s hooliganism with the club? I talk to many CFC supporters everyday on the CSR messageboard. Most couldn't care less about religion, politics, etc. yet some still harp on the "old days." Since you seem to be smack dab right in the middle of it, what is your take on CFC supporters' views?

Well, I'm only 18 years old. I have been going for 8 years though, and my old boy has been for 31 so I guess I am in the middle of a delicate situation.

Some of my personal leanings are not suitable to be discussed here, but here's a snippet of my beliefs for you.

Chelsea was probably the most hellish place you could go for an away fan back in the 70's and early 80's. When the FA and the government decided to clamp down on it, Chelsea was the first club to be blacklisted and a HUGE Police prescence was formed. Gradually Chelsea fought the police less and less, and ironically Stamford Bridge became a safe place. With ridiculous rises in ticket prices and a bizarre G-14 status (basically "Big European Club" as opposed to "2nd Divison Crap Londoners") meant that many of the salt-ofthe-earth 'true' fans could no longer go. These fans still make their prescence felt around the ground, and are part of the community. They are, honestly, great people. In my opinion, the BEST fans. I don't like the Johnny-come-latelies and the quiet corporate fans. I don't like women and children at football. I don't like corporate boxes. I don't like the East Stand Stamford Bridge.

I'm a big fan of the 70's Chelsea, because the politics behind it are far deeper than "there used to be a hooligan problem, whereas now Stamford Bridge is a lot nicer." It runs deeper. Much deeper.

The worry is that in 10 years time, football will be played behind glass and the fans will be silent. That is the way the game is headed, and it is not right.

I guess I am one of those who harp on about the old days. Not that I experienced them, but that I'm proud of that history. I was raised by my dad to be, hearing tales about it.

There is still a very large hooligan element, the Chelsea Headhunters are still rife in the underground scene and I drink with many members of "The New Breed" who often call themselves "Chelsea Youth." To an extent, dismissing it as gone is not PR but simple laziness. Gangs still exist based around love of Chelsea and opposition of certain politics and football teams, just not within the stadium.

Contact me at mrshiver@hotmail.com on MSN if you like. My MSN got screwed up and deleted everyone when I believe you were on my list, so re-add me, I'd be more than happy to talk Chelsea and clear up anything at all.

Mebeverine
07-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Yes but Vialli did not use wingers so there were no crosses coming in for him. It was a very compact midfield that was not indusive to his skills. Also, he hardly had a chance to redeem himself before he was shipped out to Celtic.

Yeah but...

Sutton was flat out crap.

He was awful.

Didn't he miss 3 open goals against Liverpool that year?

Abysmal.

And that only paints half the picture since Jon Harley and Dan Petrescu were both wing backs who put in a lot of crosses.

He scored 19 lague goals with evidently no help or support from anyone.

Disagree again I'm afraid, I think Mido is a terriffic little player and Marlet was good for them as well.

JFH would not fit well with Mourinho because he does not hustle. For JM the first line of defense is his strikers, can you imagine Jimmy harassing fullbacks for 75-90 minutes?

Just like Gudjohnsen?

Eidur is quite possibly the most talented striker in the Premiership at the moment. Some consider him as naturally talented as the Ronaldinho's of this world. Yet his laziness lets him down.

Still the argument is irrelevant.

Bodzilla29
07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
I agree with many of your points. BUt, I got to see a lot of Marseille last year especially towrds the end of the year and Mido barely got a game. Marlet came out of the gates really strong but also faded very badly. One player that I was impressed with in the second half of the season but did not know of in the first half is Merriem. Very talented little player.

It was l'OM supporters telling me he had no support and would have been miles better with some actual help. I just relayed the message to you.

Great to talk football with people who know what they are talking baout, don't get that enough on this side of the pond!

P.S. Guddy looks a lot slimmer this year already, or is that just me? And yes, if he wasn't so lazy he would be a star, an absolute GEM of a player. Super DUPER vision.

iceblizzard69
07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Weren't a bunch of teams trying to get Mido on loan? I've seen him play a few times and I think he is pretty good (and he's ****ing great in Championship Manager :) )but he did have injury problems with Marseille last year. Also I have heard that he has attitude problems and that is part of the reason why Ajax sold him, but I could be wrong about that one.

Pink_Dove
07-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Drogba was voted the best player in the french league last year.
Seeing about 10 Marseilles games last year, I can tell you he;s the real deal...

Bodz, Meriem is an interesting kid...He started out in Bordeaux and had an absolute rocket start...Very good technically, smart player who can sometimes get pushed off the ball.After 2 very good seasons, he tore up his knee and Marseilles was able to grab him on a loan. His status is still unresolved for next year but i;m guessing they;ll retain him with the money they got for Drogba.

Mido was an absolute disappointment after the first 10 games. He looked to me like an immature and selfish kid...He;s still very young but he wont be back in a Marseilles uniform ne.xt year
Bodz, tell me what you thought about DOs Santos the left back, he;s one of my favourites..

Prime Time
07-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Chelsea just stole Carvalho from Real :(

Bodzilla29
07-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Dos Santos is an interesting player, seems to support the attack very well but to be honest I haven't really noticed his defensive awareness/positioning. He does seem to be a very good player.

My favorite OM defender, though, is Habib Beye.

Bodzilla29
07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
l'OM Just signed Bixente Lizarazu, so where does that leave Dos Santos? Can he move up to play in midfield? Will they platoon or is Dos Santos or Lizarazu looked upon as cover for the starter at LB?

Anybody familiar with the situation? I have translate some french articles!

Mebeverine
07-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Lizarazu has god like status in France, and he's still one of the best left back's in Europe. He'll be the starting LB next season.

minus
08-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Drogba is the real deal and will be a hell of a player for Chelsea.

Mebeverine
08-03-2004, 05:51 AM
Scored a stunning header yesterday. I'm excited, but I've been more excited about other guys who flopped for us. I just can't accept the prospect of watching a quality centre forward play for Chelsea, in the mould of a RvN or Henry. The fact that Kezman looks as good, if not better, is no surprise to me as I'd always rated him.

Bodzilla29
08-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Told you he could head a ball.... :)

Mebeverine
08-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Will see 'the Drog' himself in person for the first time this Sunday.

Zola! La-la-la-la-Zoooollllaaa!!!

Bodzilla29
08-05-2004, 10:28 PM
How I wish I was in London. Never got to see God live and up close and it seems like Sunday will be my last chance. Don't even get to see the match over here, somebody will have to burn it to dvd and send it this way! :) :) :)

Mebeverine
08-06-2004, 05:49 AM
I would film it for you, but they banned all cameras and recording equipment about 5 years ago.

And 'God' was reserved first for Jimmy Greaves, then Peter Osgood. Zola got first dibs on "the Magician" :-D