PDA

View Full Version : Reading sign Bobby Convey

iceblizzard69
07-23-2004, 12:20 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=305425&cc=5901

This sucks. A year ago, Tottenham were going to sign him until his work permit was denied. Now, a year later, he can get a work permit, but now he is going to a Coca Cola Championship team or whatever the **** they call the old Division One now. I heard Tottenham still had interest even though they fired Hoddle last year and I would have rather seen him go there. Convey isn't on the same level as Donovan and Beasley but he's still one of our better young talent. D1 may be a little better than MLS but I'd rather see Convey play for DCU (even though they are the rival of my team) than for some Coca Cola Championship (what a dumb name) side.

Bodzilla29
07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
D1 may be a little better than MLS but I'd rather see Convey play for DCU (even though they are the rival of my team) than for some Coca Cola Championship (what a dumb name) side.

The Championship is MILES better than MLS, Ice. It is a springboard to the EPL and it will put him under less pressure to perform and settle. Also, at Spurs, there is NO WAY he gets a game ahead of Keane, Defoe, or Kanouté.

If he wants a regular game a smaller club is where he needs to go. Reading are a good side with a chance of promotion this year. He will also come up against a couple of Premiership clubs in cup competition.

iceblizzard69
07-23-2004, 11:23 AM
The Championship is MILES better than MLS, Ice. It is a springboard to the EPL and it will put him under less pressure to perform and settle. Also, at Spurs, there is NO WAY he gets a game ahead of Keane, Defoe, or Kanouté.

If he wants a regular game a smaller club is where he needs to go. Reading are a good side with a chance of promotion this year. He will also come up against a couple of Premiership clubs in cup competition.

Convey isn't even a striker so he wouldn't need to worry about getting ahead of Defoe, Kanoute, or Keane. The Championship isn't miles better than MLS. Yeah, it is probably better, but it's not the EPL. The level of play might be better but it isn't so much better that I would rather see him there than here.

Prime Time
07-23-2004, 12:26 PM
:down:

Bodzilla29
07-23-2004, 05:35 PM
My mistake. Why did I think he was a striker?

The Championship IS way better than the MLS. Even a decimated Leeds would win the MLS very easily. MLS is NOT at that level right now. You underestimate league football my friends. The Championship is better than a lot of European leagues(obviously not the top ones).

iceblizzard69
07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
My mistake. Why did I think he was a striker?

The Championship IS way better than the MLS. Even a decimated Leeds would win the MLS very easily. MLS is NOT at that level right now. You underestimate league football my friends. The Championship is better than a lot of European leagues(obviously not the top ones).

I never said the Championship was worse than MLS. However, I do think that there are some MLS teams that would not get relegated from the Championship. There are some very good players in the Championship, but it isn't so much better than MLS that I would rather see Convey go there. The fee Reading paid for Convey is supposedly the most they have ever spent on someone (I could be wrong about that one) so they obviously think highly of him but I'd rather see him in MLS. Also, what sucks is that Tottenham could have signed him last year and a year later he has to go to a side that is one divison lower even though his skills have gotten better. Here is an article from Reading's site on the deal:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~543636,00.html?ptvParm=