PDA

View Full Version : My True Political Views and the State of the Republican Party

DolFan31
07-26-2004, 03:17 PM
This was taken out of the "WMD's Found in Iraq!" thread and I decided to make it its own separate thread. Not that any of you care. :tongue:
----------------------------------------
PhinPhan has already explained his position, and now I feel its time for me to explain mine without anyone jumping to conclusions about me because of what Ive said in the past.

I happen to agree more with the liberal side of politics, because I think liberals stand for(or supposed to stand for) things that make America better by trying new things. However, I do not believe one-side of any argument can be right. So to say conservatives or liberals are right is a stupid thing to say, because no one knows for sure whos right about anything. All I know is what I feel to the be the right thing, and that happens to be mostly liberal policies. In truth, Im really a moderate because I dont think all Democrats are good and all Republicans are bad. I just happen to side with the left more. I would side with the right as I believe in fiscal responsibility, limited/reduced government, the 2nd Admendment, keeping the government out of people's private business, and preaching for a sense of basic morality(but not forcing it). However, I feel that the Republican party is moving away from Republicans.

I'm tired of the right wing extremists defining the Republican Party as a bigoted hateful intolerant party. That is not what the Republican Party stands for. Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchannan, Ralph Reed, Jerry Falwell, Sun Myung Moon, and Olie North do not represent the soul of the Republican Party. These are the people who have stolen the party from the Republicans. I want to make it clear that its the party's leaders that have left the Republican voters, and not us voters leaving them. Republicans should not be defined by these extremists.

The Republican party is about limited government. That is, heeping the government out of things they shouldn't be in. Clearly any conservative can see that freedom of religion is central to our beliefs. And freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. To not have the religous beliefs of others thrust upon us. I do not want to live under the moral thumb of right wing Bible Thumpers, the Moonies, nor left wing New Age freaks. You can believe what you want, but get it out of my face and my government. The Republican party is the party of Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves and brought new meaning to the phrase that "All Men are Created Equal." Its supposed to be the party that defends opportunity for all. The party is supposed to be the ones who stands up for the rights of individuals, not the ones who divide the country into groups that hate other groups. I would resent being the party of the white supremacists if I were a Republican.

All Republicans say they are against deficit spending. Talk is cheap. When President Reagan took office the national debt was 1 trillion dollars. After 12 years of Republican rule the debt grew to 4 trillion and the deficit kept rising in spite of "Read my Lips" tax hikes. The economy was in a triple dip recession. Then came President Clinton who turned the economy around, cut the deficit in half, created jobs, and cut government. Government grew under Reagan and Bush. It shrank under Clinton. The results speak for themselves. Talk is cheap. You're not going to get a balanced budget by giving a big tax cut to the rich.

I'm just tired of hearing Republicans talk about the debt that we are going to leave "our children and our grandchildren" while they continue to gut education, head start, Medicaid, and funding for college loans. It's just a slogan. You people don't give a damn about anything but a tax cut for the rich, who fund your campaigns. I'd like to have a tax cut someday too, but lets balance the budget first. You can't do both.

So there's a few things I got beef with. When the Republicans stop turning to extremists who redefine their party, Ill get back to being more moderate and fair. Until then, its the Democratic Party for me.

PhinPhan1227
07-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Picking up where that thread left off...If I increase education spending by 40% over the last guy...just because it's not as much as I WANTED to raise it, I've somehow gutted it? That's like saying I wanted to buy the Mercedes CL55 AMG, but could only afford the CL 500 coupe...and somehow because of that I can be accused of buying a crappy car.

DolFan31
07-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Picking up where that thread left off...If I increase education spending by 40% over the last guy...just because it's not as much as I WANTED to raise it, I've somehow gutted it? That's like saying I wanted to buy the Mercedes CL55 AMG, but could only afford the CL 500 coupe...and somehow because of that I can be accused of buying a crappy car.

Ok, the Republicans gutted education spending in the 90's. I was refering to recent Republican-majority moves(yes, the 90's count as recent). So I was ranting about how the Republicans have done some things in the recent past that I disagree with.

But tell me how can you underfund your own education bill?

PhinPhan1227
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Ok, the Republicans gutted education spending in the 90's. I was refering to recent Republican-majority moves(yes, the 90's count as recent). So I was ranting about how the Republicans have done some things in the recent past that I disagree with.

But tell me how can you underfund your own education bill?

Honestly? Ever negotiate with someone? Ask for 100 if you'll accept 50.