PDA

View Full Version : MORON ALERT: Kerry goes to Michigan and tells UM fans that the Buckeyes Rule.

Section126
08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
THIS IS PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Washington Prowler Blocking Dummy
By The Prowler
Published 8/3/2004 12:07:10 AM

LOST FUMBLER
If John Kerry loses Michigan, he will probably blame it on his joke writers, then Woody Hayes and the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes. But he only has himself to blame. He should have used that several-decade gap between his job in Vietnam and his job of running for president boning up on his knowledge of sports. The Prowler has documented several examples thus far, and over weekend Kerry really goofed up.

To get his Ohio rallies up and rolling, Kerry used a set of jokes to open his events. In Bowling Green, his shtick went something like this:

"If you elect me and my running mate, John Edwards, we are going to give you the courageous leadership you need. We'll take the tough positions, the courageous positions, the tough stands. But there's one tough position I will not take: I am not going to choose between the Falcons and the Rockets" -- this is a local reference to the well-known rivalry between Bowling Green University and the University of Toledo.

"I will say this," he added. "There is nothing better than Buckeye football, period!"

Kerry used this set piece several times in Ohio, to great effect, never mind the waffling with the generality of "Buckeye" football. Was he talking Ohio State University specifically? Or just football in the state in general? Only Kerry knows.

But then Kerry dug a huge hole for himself. On Sunday and into Monday, Kerry hit Michigan, where he attempted to use the same Ohio jokes. Clearly, the sports humor has to be taken out of his hands before he really embarrasses himself.

"I just came here from Bowling Green," Kerry told the crowd to subdued applause. "I was smart enough not to pick a choice between the Falcons and the, well, you know, all those other teams out there. I just go for Buckeye football, that's where I'm coming from."

At that point, before all the boos began raining down upon him, Kerry seemed to realize his error. In an attempt to silent the angry crowd of University of Michigan supporters, Kerry said, "But that was while I was in Ohio. I know I'm in the state of Michigan and you got a great big M and a powerhouse of a team." Then his face, presumably, the Botox permitting, turned Big Blue.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

What's next? I bet he goes to Boston and says "How Bout them Yankees!" BTW....."Who is the Manager of the Red Sox?" (A Direct Kerry Quote.)

WHAT A LOSER!

DolFan31
08-03-2004, 10:37 AM
If this story's even true, he's a politician, not a sports writer.

Section126
08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
If this story's even true, he's a politician, not a sports writer.

The story is TRUE...and it points to how phoney Lurch really is.

t2thejz
08-03-2004, 12:56 PM
All I have to say is WOW..this guy really tries too hard sometimes too be liked.

DolFan31
08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
The story is TRUE...and it points to how phoney Lurch really is.

Because he got the wrong sports team? If youre setting your standards for president that they have to get the right sports team when they visit a college, then youre a moron. If you are basing your vote on stupid screwups like this, then your guy, Bush, can write a whole book on how many times hes screwed up like this. You should be basing your vote on what each candidate wants to do for the country, not if he or she gets the right team when they visit a college.

DolFan31
08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
All I have to say is WOW..this guy really tries too hard sometimes too be liked.

What about that "compassionate conservative?"

Section126
08-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Because he got the wrong sports team? If youre setting your standards for president that they have to get the right sports team when they visit a college, then youre a moron. If you are basing your vote on stupid screwups like this, then your guy, Bush, can write a whole book on how many times hes screwed up like this. You should be basing your vote on what each candidate wants to do for the country, not if he or she gets the right team when they visit a college.

Just admit it.....Lurch is a dumbass.

DolFan31
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM

So is Bush.

iceblizzard69
08-03-2004, 05:11 PM

For every one dumb quote from Kerry there are 50 from Bush. It's well known that Bush has said A LOT of stupid things. Here is a link of some of the dumb things he has said (I bet S126 and other Bush supporters will say that all of the quotes are made up):

http://www.bushisms.com/index1a.html#List

Karl_12
08-03-2004, 05:24 PM
For every one dumb quote from Kerry there are 50 from Bush. It's well known that Bush has said A LOT of stupid things. Here is a link of some of the dumb things he has said (I bet S126 and other Bush supporters will say that all of the quotes are made up):

http://www.bushisms.com/index1a.html#List
They will probably say they are taken out of context lol. Plus he is right The Ohio State Buckeyes rule.

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
If John Kerry is a moron for what he said, Then George Bush is an absolute retard for what he has said the past 4 years.

Section126
08-04-2004, 04:13 PM
There is a difference between intelligence and perception...I would say that Bush is about 5 times as smart as Kerry.

ohall
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
There is a difference between intelligence and perception...I would say that Bush is about 5 times as smart as Kerry.

My nephew has an IQ of 185, he can't change a freaking lightbulb! I love the kid, but I wish he wasn't as smart as he is as far as his IQ goes. He spends entirely too much time thinking and re-thinking every lil thing he attempts to do, or not do for that matter. I think it's much more important to have a high EQ.

Oliver...

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Oh yeah, I'm sure most American's think Bush is 5 times more intelligent than Kerry, when he doesn't quite have a grasp on The English language. :confused:
Please, you call Kerry a moron for a little mistake, and you call Bush really intelligent when he makes tons of mistakes in vocabulary alone.

ohall
08-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, I'm sure most American's think Bush is 5 times more intelligent than Kerry, when he doesn't quite have a grasp on The English language. :confused:
Please, you call Kerry a moron for a little mistake, and you call Bush really intelligent when he makes tons of mistakes in vocabulary alone.

Ignorance is bliss! Most ppl understand that is Bush's thing, he talks like a TEXAN and that's why so many of you DEM's hate him. He talks like most ppl in this country, you know the ppl who built this country. You know with a southern accent. Some of you show your bias all the time when you talk about the English language. We speak American in this country, one day some of you will catch on!

Oliver...

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Ignorance is bliss! Most ppl understand that is Bush's thing, he talks like a TEXAN and that's why so many of you DEM's hate him. He talks like most ppl in this country, you know the ppl who built this country. You know with a southern accent. Some of you show your bias all the time when you talk about the English language. We speak American in this country, one day some of you will catch on!

Oliver...
That's his thing? Not knowing which words mean what? Thats his thing? That's exactly who we want to lead this country, an average citizen!!!! Not one who is articulate and well read. Grammar? Who needs that? What University did he go to? How did he pass his English courses?

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
That's his thing? Not knowing which words mean what? Thats his thing? That's exactly who we want to lead this country, an average citizen!!!! Not one who is articulate and well read. Grammar? Who needs that? What University did he go to? How did he pass his English courses?

Ever read anything about Abe Lincoln? Do a little research on what people thought about him during hi sterm in office. He was considered a backwoods hayseed because of his accent and diction. Still turned out to be a decent President though, don't you think?

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Ever read anything about Abe Lincoln? Do a little research on what people thought about him during hi sterm in office. He was considered a backwoods hayseed because of his accent and diction. Still turned out to be a decent President though, don't you think?
You're comparing Lincoln to Bush now? Why are his enunciations acceptable and anything else he does for that matter? While Kerry makes this mistake and some of you start yelling, "moron moron moron" He's from texas blah blah blah, They're are plenty of Texans who can speak properly.

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM

Oliver... By the way, I'm not a democrat. Just because people don't agree w/ Bush being in office and the the things he has done does not make them a democrat.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 06:29 PM

Oliver...

First of all, most people DON'T have a southern accent. Secondly, I don't bash Bush's speaking because of his accent. I don't care what his accent is. I bash it because he uses improper english and it is sad that the leader of this country can't even master the language of this nation.

Oh yeah and just because I hate Bush doesn't mean I'm a Democrat. I believe in a small government which pretty much means that I am a Democrat. There are a lot of people who don't like Bush who aren't Democrats.

ohall
08-04-2004, 06:33 PM
First of all, most people DON'T have a southern accent. Secondly, I don't bash Bush's speaking because of his accent. I don't care what his accent is. I bash it because he uses improper english and it is sad that the leader of this country can't even master the language of this nation.

Do yourself a favor, try leaving NY sometimes and travel the middel states of the USA and then get back to me. Most ppl in this country speak with a southern accent.

He doesn't speak ENGLISH, HE SPEAKS AMERICAN! One day some of you will catch on. At least I sure hope you will!

Oliver...

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 06:34 PM
You're comparing Lincoln to Bush now? Why are his enunciations acceptable and anything else he does for that matter? While Kerry makes this mistake and some of you start yelling, "moron moron moron" He's from texas blah blah blah, They're are plenty of Texans who can speak properly.

I never said boo about Kerry, and I'm only comparing diction. Plenty of Texans speak American Standard, but most Texans speak a Texas dialect of English. Not only does it have a different pronounciation, it also has lots of different syntax. I live in Texas and married a Texan; I have first hand experience here.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Do yourself a favor, try leaving NY sometimes and travel the middel states of the USA and then get back to me. Most ppl in this country speak with a southern accent.

He doesn't speak ENGLISH, HE SPEAKS AMERICAN! One day some of you will catch on. At least I sure hope you will!

Oliver...

You should do the same thing. I've been to two southern states (Lousiana and Florida), three if you consider Virginia but I was in Northern Virginia which is definitely more Northern than Southern. People only have southern accents in the SOUTH. Have you even been to the West Coast? There are a ton of people there and they don't have Southern accents. Have you ever been to the Midwest? Last time I checked, people from Chicago don't have Southern accents. Have you ever been to the Northeast? Lots of people here too, and no Southern accents. Don't tell me where I have been. I have been to California, Washington state, Lousiana, Florida, and a lot of Northeastern states. When I was in Miami almost everyone did not have a Southern accent. Sorry, but there is more to this country than the Southeast. Most people in this country aren't from that area and thus don't have a Southern accent. There are even a lot of people from the Southeast that don't have southern accents!

The USA is a big place. It isn't just the former Confederate states. You should travel around it. Maybe then you will find out that most Americans don't have Southern accents. Also, American isn't a language. :rolleyes:

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 06:39 PM

Oliver...

Actually Ohall, most people in America don't have a Southern accent. That would be limited to the area south of the Carolinas, and east of Missisippi. Other southern states have distinct accents that are not southern, they are distinct to their region. Most of the country actually speaks english much closer to American Standard. North of Oklahoma and West of Ohio there is little accent in comparison to the North East and South East.

ohall
08-04-2004, 06:44 PM
You should do the same thing. I've been to two southern states (Lousiana and Florida), three if you consider Virginia but I was in Northern Virginia which is definitely more Northern than Southern. People only have southern accents in the SOUTH. Have you even been to the West Coast? There are a ton of people there and they don't have Southern accents. Have you ever been to the Midwest? Last time I checked, people from Chicago don't have Southern accents. Have you ever been to the Northeast? Lots of people here too, and no Southern accents. Don't tell me where I have been. I have been to California, Washington state, Lousiana, Florida, and a lot of Northeastern states. When I was in Miami almost everyone did not have a Southern accent. Sorry, but there is more to this country than the Southeast. Most people in this country aren't from that area and thus don't have a Southern accent. There are even a lot of people from the Southeast that don't have southern accents!

I should do the same? OK w/e. Keep thinking that most ppl are snobs like some of you ppl are. Most ppl get that Bush is talking American, and it's his hook. All politicians have a hook.

People like you think all ppl that speak with a southern accent are idiots and/or are stupid. The thing is your bias is accepted in this NEW PC world. It’s a total and complete double standard that I cannot stand. IMO it’s just as harmful and offensive as ppl who hate ppl based on the color of their skin or where they were born.

Oliver...

ohall
08-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Actually Ohall, most people in America don't have a Southern accent. That would be limited to the area south of the Carolinas, and east of Missisippi. Other southern states have distinct accents that are not southern, they are distinct to their region. Most of the country actually speaks english much closer to American Standard. North of Oklahoma and West of Ohio there is little accent in comparison to the North East and South East.

Sorry guys, I have to disagree with you on this. Every flipping state I've gone to I've talked to ppl who have southern accents. Most ppl call it speaking American. All I can say is my experience traveling this country has been very different than some of you here. I guess it all depends on where you go and the ppl you like being around. In short I like the country crowd, even though I can't stand country music.

Oliver...

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 06:48 PM
I should do the same? OK w/e. Keep thinking that most ppl are snobs like some of you ppl are. Most ppl get that Bush is talking American, and it's his hook. All politicians have a hook.

People like you think all ppl that speak with a southern accent are idiots and/or are stupid. The thing is your bias is accepted in this NEW PC world. It’s a total and complete double standard that I cannot stand. IMO it’s just as harmful and offensive as ppl who hate ppl based on the color of their skin or where they were born.

Oliver...

I don't think Bush is a moron because he has a Southern accent. I don't have ANY problems with the South. Actually, I'm probably going to go to college in the South. I think Bush is a moron because he uses poor grammar in his speeches. Last time I checked, using bad grammar isn't "speaking American."

Oh yeah and I'm not a snob. However, I remember you saying that Kerry sounded like a snob. He doesn't sound like a snob at all, unless you think people not from the South sound like snobs. :rolleyes:

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Sorry guys, I have to disagree with you on this. Every flipping state I've gone to I've talked to ppl who have southern accents. Most ppl call it speaking American. All I can say is my experience traveling this country has been very different than some of you here. I guess it all depends on where you go and the ppl you like being around. In short I like the country crowd, even though I can't stand country music.

Oliver...

The only people who have Southern accents are people from the Southeast. People from there do move around just like people from everywhere else but you don't get that accent unless you are from there. Having a Southern accent isn't "speaking American." The USA is more than just the Southeast.

ohall
08-04-2004, 06:52 PM
The only people who have Southern accents are people from the Southeast. People from there do move around just like people from everywhere else but you don't get that accent unless you are from there. Having a Southern accent isn't "speaking American." The USA is more than just the Southeast.

Ugh you live in NY right? Take a ride to a farm in NY, get back to me and try and tell me the farmer doesn't speak with a southern accent.

Oliver...

ohall
08-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't think Bush is a moron because he has a Southern accent. I don't have ANY problems with the South. Actually, I'm probably going to go to college in the South. I think Bush is a moron because he uses poor grammar in his speeches. Last time I checked, using bad grammar isn't "speaking American."

Oh yeah and I'm not a snob. However, I remember you saying that Kerry sounded like a snob. He doesn't sound like a snob at all, unless you think people not from the South sound like snobs. :rolleyes:

That's where you are wrong, speaking American is exactly not like speaking ENGLISH! I have no idea why you guys are having such a difficult time with this.

You are without a doubt a snob! Kerry is without a doubt a snob as well, and that is prob why you support him over Bush #43. I don't think it goes any deeper for someone like you.

Oliver...

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Ugh you live in NY right? Take a ride to a farm in NY, get back to me and try and tell me the farmer doesn't speak with a southern accent.

Oliver...

I've been outside NYC. People in suburban and rural areas of the state don't have Southern accents. People from the Northeast don't have southern accents, not even the farmers. 1227 has already described the regions where people have southern accents. If you aren't from that region, you don't have one.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 07:20 PM
That's where you are wrong, speaking American is exactly not like speaking ENGLISH! I have no idea why you guys are having such a difficult time with this.

You are without a doubt a snob! Kerry is without a doubt a snob as well, and that is prob why you support him over Bush #43. I don't think it goes any deeper for someone like you.

Oliver...

:shakeno:

There is no American language. There is also no one American accent. In this country, we have accents that are particular to a certain region. One of those accents is a Southern accent, which you may (or may not) have if you are from the Southeast, but if you aren't from there, you don't have one! I don't know what it is going to take for you to realize that most Americans don't have Southern accents and that you only have one if you are from the South.

Also, do you even know what a snob is? You don't even know me. The last thing I am is a snob.

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 07:39 PM
:shakeno:

There is no American language. There is also no one American accent. In this country, we have accents that are particular to a certain region. One of those accents is a Southern accent, which you may (or may not) have if you are from the Southeast, but if you aren't from there, you don't have one! I don't know what it is going to take for you to realize that most Americans don't have Southern accents and that you only have one if you are from the South.

Also, do you even know what a snob is? You don't even know me. The last thing I am is a snob.

Actually there IS American Standard English. It's a dialect of English and is recognized. The nice thing about growing up in SoFlo is that you can acquire AS because you get too many languages to get one accent.

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 07:45 PM

Oliver...

Southern and Country are different. People from Arkansas have a different accent from people in South Carolina. To someone from New York, they probably both sound like "southern". Just like someone from Alabama probably thinks a Boston accent and a Bronx accent sound alike. They are actually very different accents, just as Texan is VERY different from a Kansas accent. I took a class in the linguistics of different American accents and their different speech pathologies. It was fascinating to see that some "southern" accents have more in common with some "northern" languages than they do with most other "southern" accents. Refresh my memory Oliver, Jamaican is your native dialect correct? As such I don't think you may have the best ear for distinguishing between different American dialects. Just like someone from Georgia probably thinks that Jamaican and Bahamian sound alike even though they are quite different.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Actually there IS American Standard English. It's a dialect of English and is recognized. The nice thing about growing up in SoFlo is that you can acquire AS because you get too many languages to get one accent.

Yes, the English we speak in the USA is different than the English spoken in other English-speaking nations, but American still isn't a language. Would you say that people in the UK or Canada speak a different language than us? I wouldn't. You could say that we speak a different dialect of English here in the USA, but it isn't a different language. I do agree with your post, but just because the dialect is different doesn't mean it is a completely different language.

DolFan31
08-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Just as in Columbia, there are different accents for different cities. Not everyone sounds and pronounces spanish words the same way. It works like that all over the world.

PhinPhan1227
08-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, the English we speak in the USA is different than the English spoken in other English-speaking nations, but American still isn't a language. Would you say that people in the UK or Canada speak a different language than us? I wouldn't. You could say that we speak a different dialect of English here in the USA, but it isn't a different language. I do agree with your post, but just because the dialect is different doesn't mean it is a completely different language.

Agreed, if I implied differently my apologies.

Meatwad
08-04-2004, 08:42 PM
But they teach English the same in every part of our Country. No matter what accent you have, we are all taught basic grammar, sentence structure, and vocabulary. Those are some of the things that Bush has struggled with repeatedly.