PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives-"Ignorance is bliss"

PhinPhan1227
08-06-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/08/05/texas.textbooks.reut/index.html

Of course, if you only talk about abstinance, kids won't even THINK of having sex. Why would it occur to a 15 year old kid with raging hormones? But what about the consequences for the kid that doesn't get that message? Maybe a few more kids will have sex if conraceptives are discussed. But if a few more kids than that use contraceptives that otherwise wouldn't how is that not worth it? If you prevent one AIDS case...one unwanted pregnancy...how is a few more kids having sex too high a price? The Conserviative mindset states that the individual is supreme and should be allowed to succeed or fail on it's own merits. But when it comes to moral issues apparently the mob rules and it's perfectly alright to impose YOUR morals on everyone else. Imagine how impressive the conservatives could be if they just applied their ideal to ALL things, rather than selectively.

Clumpy
08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
I actually agree with you :eek:

caneproud117
08-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Everything you said I agree with, this is the type of thinking that really bothers me. It's the "if we don't talk about it, it will not happen" approach to finding a solution to increased sexual activity of youngsters. Why not take a pro-active approach like giving these kids the proper protection they need and the knowledge they need to make good decisions. This just makes me mad that some people think like this. :fire:

DolFan31
08-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Teach and praise abstinence, but dont leave out the other options because kids, not matter what you do, will always be curious about sex. Hell I was curious about girls as far back as kindergarten. Its nature, and conservatives have to get used to it.
Teach control and responsibility, not ignorance.

baracuda
08-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Well, since I am a conservative let me just say that "imposing your morals on everyone else" is really misleading. And it's actually not my morals, but that of Almighty God. If you are a Christian you are held to a higher standard then that of a non-Christian.

With that being said, I only wish that my father had spent more time with me when I was 14 going through why sex before marriage is not a great idea. I have a 12 yr old daughter as an example of what can go wrong with pre-marital sex. Maybe if a strong adult figure in my life had been so adament about me not having premarital sex, rather then simply telling me to "wear a raincoat" then my life would have turned out a little better. Granted, I love my daughter, but at that time I had no business having a child.

But turning a blind eye to the problem and simply saying that "everyone does it" is not a solution to the problem. Teaching children the negative effects of pre-marital sex should be a requirement of all parents. However, I think sex education should be left up to the parents. There should be no "human growth and development" courses taught in the public schools. Parents should be teaching their children right from wrong here, rather then expecting the schools to take care of this. Teach my kids how to read and write, not how to or why you should or shouldn't have sex.

Ever heard the expression curiosity killed the cat? Same applies here.

ABrownLamp
08-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Well, since I am a conservative let me just say that "imposing your morals on everyone else" is really misleading. And it's actually not my morals, but that of Almighty God. If you are a Christian you are held to a higher standard then that of a non-Christian.

With that being said, I only wish that my father had spent more time with me when I was 14 going through why sex before marriage is not a great idea. I have a 12 yr old daughter as an example of what can go wrong with pre-marital sex. Maybe if a strong adult figure in my life had been so adament about me not having premarital sex, rather then simply telling me to "wear a raincoat" then my life would have turned out a little better. Granted, I love my daughter, but at that time I had no business having a child.

But turning a blind eye to the problem and simply saying that "everyone does it" is not a solution to the problem. Teaching children the negative effects of pre-marital sex should be a requirement of all parents. However, I think sex education should be left up to the parents. There should be no "human growth and development" courses taught in the public schools. Parents should be teaching their children right from wrong here, rather then expecting the schools to take care of this. Teach my kids how to read and write, not how to or why you should or shouldn't have sex.

You are right, it should be the parents reponsibility to teach their kids. The problem is...most don't. This is especially true in the inner cities where teen pregnancy runs rampant. What would be the downside of teaching children sex in school? HUman growth and development is no less a science than Biology. It's unfortunate that you let your Christian values obscure pragmatism. Again, closing our eyes and hoping the problem goes away, which is essentially what your idea would be, is not an appropriate solution. If you can't see by now that children and parents need HELP with educating children in this area then there is no point in continuing this discussion with you.

PhinPhan1227
08-06-2004, 05:16 PM

Head in the sand apporoach part deux. #1 is thinking that abstinance teaching alone will prevent babies and AIDS. #2 is thinking that if it isn't taught in schools parents will teach it. I have a simple philosophy...hope for the best, plan for the worst. TEACH abstinance. Teach it all over the place. But plan for the worst by also telling kids about how to be safe. Here's the thing...you had an adult telling you to "wear a raincoat". You obviously listened so well to that message that you wound up with a 12 year old child. If you didn't listen to THAT message, why are you any more likely to have listened to abstinance? Sounds to me like the message was delivered half a$$ed. BTW, Jesus never said anything about premarital sex. That was all Pauls section, and I've never been a big fan of his. Between you and me I think he was a repressed homosexual.

iceblizzard69
08-06-2004, 05:17 PM
The religious right strike again. Yay. :rolleyes: :shakeno: