PDA

View Full Version : Issues to Divide and Conquer

BAMAPHIN 22
08-12-2004, 11:41 AM
From the latest CNN Report I found an interesting point of view concerning the GOP and the Demoncrats. Below is an excerpt from the following site:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/11/inside.edge/index.html

Provide me with your comments...

Over the last 40 years, the GOP has been very successful at finding "hot issues" -- also called wedge issues -- to reach into the Democrats' base and peel away voters.
It began with race-related civil rights issues in the 1960s, extended to law and order, affirmative action, busing and welfare reform in the 1970s, and included gun rights, religious rights, the death penalty and sometimes abortion during the 1980s.

Using Nixon's Southern Strategy from 1968 to 1992, the GOP won the White House five out of six times, frequently attracting white Democratic voters, especially men, using these issues.

During the 1990s, Clinton -- with the help of Ross Perot and a bad economy -- managed to neutralize some of these issues including welfare, gun rights and the death penalty. But Clinton never developed a set of his own truly hot issues -- and indeed never won more than 50 percent of the popular vote.

Kerry, on the other hand, may actually have developed a series of winning hot issues. During his speech at the Democratic convention last month, he raised four possible "hot issues" including: outsourcing, Saudi Arabia, Social Security (an old Democratic standby) and "Enron tax breaks."

If Kerry ultimately wins the White House, it will be in no small part because he did what even Clinton could never do -- win over large numbers of frequent Republican voters using a series of hot issues.

P4E
08-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Perhaps. And the great irony of it would be that a man who has shown no leadership on these issues WHAT-SO-EVER in 20 years in congress will have persuaded the electorate that he is a leader.

Pretty friggin sad, eh?

MDFINFAN
08-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Perhaps. And the great irony of it would be that a man who has shown no leadership on these issues WHAT-SO-EVER in 20 years in congress will have persuaded the electorate that he is a leader.

Pretty friggin sad, eh?

No different than what has happened. A man who has done nothing to say he can run something successfully, won the governor position, Luckily he didn't have to manage their budget either, then went on to win the presidency on a record that showed no leadership in those same areas. Every company Bush started failed, or was bailed out and yet he's running our country..well congress is supporting him unfortunately, they actually handle the purse strings. Kerry can't be any worst.

Section126
08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Kerry can't be any worst.

WANNA BET?

MDFINFAN
08-12-2004, 02:26 PM
WANNA BET?

:roflmao:

No, I don't wanna bet, but I see the political thing as a wash, remember congress and the senate pretty much fund the President's ideas. Bush has had a repub congress and senate and can take credit for what has happened and not happened, because his party has been backing him. I think I like the split thing we had with clinton, it was more of check and balance situation. In our present situation, the spending has gone hog wild. Are the demo in charge of congress or is it the Repubs. Can't see much difference when they've been in power for awhile, can you? anyway that's why I say Kerry can't be much worst. The old spend, spend, spend, can now be the Repub's motto.

PhinPhan1227
08-12-2004, 03:28 PM
No different than what has happened. A man who has done nothing to say he can run something successfully, won the governor position, Luckily he didn't have to manage their budget either, then went on to win the presidency on a record that showed no leadership in those same areas. Every company Bush started failed, or was bailed out and yet he's running our country..well congress is supporting him unfortunately, they actually handle the purse strings. Kerry can't be any worst.

Biggest difference? As Governor of Texas Bush was VERY successful. When he took office Texas ranked last in almost every measure you could find. By the time Bush left office those measures had come up by SEVERAL points. Can you name a single thing John Kerry has done while Senator? Especially since Kerry has been a Senator for DECADES?

MDFINFAN
08-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Biggest difference? As Governor of Texas Bush was VERY successful. When he took office Texas ranked last in almost every measure you could find. By the time Bush left office those measures had come up by SEVERAL points. Can you name a single thing John Kerry has done while Senator? Especially since Kerry has been a Senator for DECADES?

This has been debated on the news and in the last P. election, so there's various ways to present the data, but I don't think you and I would get very far on this, so I won't do a full out debate here. I'll let the debates that's been done on this speak for themselves and those who support bush can take one set of data and those support Kerry can do take another set of data and be happy with their conclusions. But as for Kerry and the things he's done in the Senate: Not much, but I can name something.

Kerry has been the lead sponsor of eight bills that have become law. Two are related to his work on the Senate panel on oceans and fisheries - a 1994 law to protect marine mammals from being taken during commercial fishing and a 1991 measure for the National Sea Grant College Program Act (search), which finances marine research.

In 1999, President Clinton signed his bill providing grants to support small businesses owned by women.

Here's the link, see you thought I couldn't find anything he may have done, btw, it was a good article. But I should have known it would be Fox news trying to make him look bad... :D

Kerry's Senate Career Short on Law-Making (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0%2C2933%2C92477%2C00.html)

Now you know I must balance that with Bush's life and Governor accomplishments.

George W. Bush: My Resumé (http://www.cronus.com/bushresume/)

:roflmao: I couldn't resist.

PhinPhan1227
08-12-2004, 07:48 PM
ROTFLMMFAO!! I never knew this...Kerry spnsored a National POW/MIA Recognition Day. Must have been a pretty thin ceremony on the commemoration day considering that every POW/MIA group wants Kerry strung up from a tree.