PDA

View Full Version : You asked for it...you got it...now deal with it

PhinPhan1227
08-17-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm sure John Kerry is already on the phone asking the Germsn where they want our troops once HE becomes President

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- German officials have voiced concern that their country has the most to lose with U.S. President George W. Bush's announcement that tens of thousands of troops will return home over the next decade.

With about 70,000 U.S. soldiers based in Germany, thousands of local jobs -- from bakers to maintenance workers and office personnel -- depend on the Americans, who first came as occupying forces after World War II.

European and Asian countries with U.S. troops have braced for the changes for several years, but Bush's announcement Monday that up to 70,000 uniformed personnel and 100,000 dependents will gradually be moved back to the United States brought home the full impact.

"Base closures would hit us very hard," said city spokesman Ole Kruse in the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, home of the U.S. Army's 1st Infantry Division.

That unit and the 1st Armored Division, based in Wiesbaden near Frankfurt, will return to the United States as part of the global restructuring, Pentagon officials said Monday.

They will be replaced by a brigade, a much smaller unit equipped with Stryker light armored vehicles, though they probably won't start leaving until 2006 at the earliest, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

U.S. troops were based in large numbers in Germany during the Cold War to deter a then-feared Soviet invasion, and most of the 100,000 U.S. troops based in Europe are still in Germany.

ohall
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm sure John Kerry is already on the phone asking the Germsn where they want our troops once HE becomes President

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- German officials have voiced concern that their country has the most to lose with U.S. President George W. Bush's announcement that tens of thousands of troops will return home over the next decade.

With about 70,000 U.S. soldiers based in Germany, thousands of local jobs -- from bakers to maintenance workers and office personnel -- depend on the Americans, who first came as occupying forces after World War II.

European and Asian countries with U.S. troops have braced for the changes for several years, but Bush's announcement Monday that up to 70,000 uniformed personnel and 100,000 dependents will gradually be moved back to the United States brought home the full impact.

"Base closures would hit us very hard," said city spokesman Ole Kruse in the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, home of the U.S. Army's 1st Infantry Division.

That unit and the 1st Armored Division, based in Wiesbaden near Frankfurt, will return to the United States as part of the global restructuring, Pentagon officials said Monday.

They will be replaced by a brigade, a much smaller unit equipped with Stryker light armored vehicles, though they probably won't start leaving until 2006 at the earliest, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

U.S. troops were based in large numbers in Germany during the Cold War to deter a then-feared Soviet invasion, and most of the 100,000 U.S. troops based in Europe are still in Germany.

I hope this teaches them a lesson for the future. I hope they remember who needs who more.

Oliver...

MDFINFAN
08-17-2004, 04:44 PM

Sounds like our congress when we were trying to close bases in the state.

PhinPhan1227
08-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Sounds like our congress when we were trying to close bases in the state.

Yep...the difference is that it's our taxes that pay for those bases.

MDFINFAN
08-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Yep...the difference is that it's our taxes that pay for those bases.

I think our tax dollars paid for those bases in Germany as well. I think we got a break on the land deals, but we kept the bases up and running through our own system. Little American in Germany we use to call those bases when I was there. Our tax dollars paid to the soldiers is what the German's don't want to lose based on the article you've presented.

PhinPhan1227
08-17-2004, 07:24 PM
I think our tax dollars paid for those bases in Germany as well. I think we got a break on the land deals, but we kept the bases up and running through our own system. Little American in Germany we use to call those bases when I was there. Our tax dollars paid to the soldiers is what the German's don't want to lose based on the article you've presented.

Exactly my point. If we keep a base open here in the US to help the local economy, that makes more sense than doing the same thing in Germany. Since we pay for it, we should reap the benefits.

Bling
08-17-2004, 07:29 PM
they got double screwed by the US since Iraq. I love our bullying mentality.