PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team

BAMAPHIN 22
08-19-2004, 03:13 PM
"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign," Sadir told SI.com through a translator, speaking calmly and directly. "He can find another way to advertise himself."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/19/iraq/index.html
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

iceblizzard69
08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I read a story on them in the ESPN Magazine. They are mad at our country because one of Uday Hussein's right hand men is now the president of the Iraqi soccer federation. The players all hated Uday since he tortured players and they are very upset about his right hand man being the president. They are obviously upset about the violence as well. Many were fans of the US government when Saddam was taken out but are now very mad at Bush for quite a few reasons.

Iraq has done well in Olympic soccer, although anyone who knows anything about soccer knows the Olympic soccer tournament is a complete joke. It's a U-23 tournament and most teams involved don't really care. Either way, Iraq has pulled off some impressive victories, including one against Portugal, a team that has some pretty good players.

Section126
08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
They should be kissing Bush's A$$....

MDFINFAN
08-19-2004, 05:47 PM
They should be kissing Bush's A$$....

This just tells you that our assessment of what the people from there wanted wasn't necessarily what we gave them.

ohall
08-19-2004, 05:59 PM
This just tells you that our assessment of what the people from there wanted wasn't necessarily what we gave them.

Funny to me it proves we gave them exactly what we wanted. FREE SPEECH!

Oliver...

Section126
08-19-2004, 07:23 PM

Oliver...

EXACTLY...boy did you get OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iceblizzard69
08-19-2004, 08:14 PM

Oliver...

I hate to break this to you, but it's a known fact that the US hasn't exactly promoted free speech all over Iraq. Hopefully one day Iraq will be a nation where free speech is promoted, but right now that isn't fully the case. There is more free speech in Iraq now than there was under Saddam, but the US has shut down newspapers because of what they said. However, it is great that these players can finally speak their minds. At the same time, it is also sad that Uday's right hand man is the president of the Iraqi soccer federation.

ohall
08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
I hate to break this to you, but it's a known fact that the US hasn't exactly promoted free speech all over Iraq. Hopefully one day Iraq will be a nation where free speech is promoted, but right now that isn't fully the case. There is more free speech in Iraq now than there was under Saddam, but the US has shut down newspapers because of what they said. However, it is great that these players can finally speak their minds. At the same time, it is also sad that Uday's right hand man is the president of the Iraqi soccer federation.

Sometimes I worry about you. Iraqi's can speak their minds as much as they want to now. 1.5 years ago if they talked their minds they would have been jailed, or inserted into a mass grave.

Oliver...

iceblizzard69
08-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Sometimes I worry about you. Iraqi's can speak their minds as much as they want to now. 1.5 years ago if they talked their minds they would have been jailed, or inserted into a mass grave.

Oliver...

Did I ever say that free speech isn't allowed period in Iraq? No. What I said is that the US shut down a newspaper which means that they aren't promoting free speech. Free speech is allowed in Iraq to a degree. I said it was great that they can speak their minds for the most part, but it isn't like the US is allowing all criticisms of their government.

TorontoFin
08-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Well now that Uday isn't holding their feet to shredders, they're free to ***** about anything they want, i guess -- even Bush -- which really doesn't make them any more ungrateful than half of the population back home

TorontoFin
08-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Did I ever say that free speech isn't allowed period in Iraq? No. What I said is that the US shut down a newspaper which means that they aren't promoting free speech. Free speech is allowed in Iraq to a degree. I said it was great that they can speak their minds for the most part, but it isn't like the US is allowing all criticisms of their government.
maybe because until they weed out all the Al sadrs spewing propoganda to assist "insurgents" is a form of free speech that will do nothing except get more soldiers and innocent Iraqis killed. Maybe it's a tad unreasonable that Iraq has full and free U.S.-style freedom of the press just yet. The allies did the same thing after taking Berlin.

ohall
08-20-2004, 12:21 AM

Tell me, why did they shut down thet newspaper? And if an American newspaper did the same thing here they would also be shut down by the government.

Let's see how much you really know about this subject.

Oliver...

MDFINFAN
08-20-2004, 12:25 AM

Oliver...

They would have said the same thing prior to us going in. Sec, you're reowned... :roflmao:

ohall
08-20-2004, 12:27 AM
They would have said the same thing prior to us going in. Sec, you're reowned... :roflmao:

How do you figure? And if they did would anyone have thought they were speaking their own minds?

Something ain't right with you man, honestly. You constantly try and reshape reality.

And I said nothing about owning anyone, so drop off the self proclamations!

Oliver...

MDFINFAN
08-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Tell me, why did they shut down thet newspaper? And if an American newspaper did the same thing here they would also be shut down by the government.

Let's see how much you really know about this subject.

Oliver...

Ohall we know why they shut them down, but as he asked, would this have been tolerated in the US. You can go to all types of web sites and other papers and read things that keeps racism, hate of the gov't, killings, bomb making and other stuff going in the US all the time and they're not shut down. It's basically the same thing that station was doing in Iraq. I'm not saying it's right, but just pointing out that he makes a good point. We love our freedoms, especially, the right to free speech--even though there are consequences to free speech.

ohall
08-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Ohall we know why they shut them down, but as he asked, would this have been tolerated in the US. You can go to all types of web sites and other papers and read things that keeps racism, hate of the gov't, killings, bomb making and other stuff going in the US all the time and they're not shut down. It's basically the same thing that station was doing in Iraq. I'm not saying it's right, but just pointing out that he makes a good point. We love our freedoms, especially, the right to free speech--even though there are consequences to free speech.

I've got news for you bud, if this country for whatever reason was basically under marshal law you had better understand any press that questioned or lied about the actions of the government or the military would be shut down immediately. That person who was running that newspaper would also run the risk of being shot immediately for his treasonous act.

There you go again trying to reshape reality. Iraq is not a normal country, it is a country being run and ruled basically by military force. Try comparing things on a level unbiased ground rather than your usual un-level and biased ground you seem to compare everything on.

Oliver...

MDFINFAN
08-20-2004, 12:46 AM
I've got news for you bud, if this country for whatever reason was basically under marshal law you had better understand any press that questioned or lied about the actions of the government or the military would be shut down immediately. That person who was running that newspaper would also run the risk of being shot immediately for his treasonous act.

There you go again trying to reshape reality. Iraq is not a normal country, it is a country being run and ruled basically by military force. Try comparing things on a level unbiased ground rather than your usual un-level and biased ground you seem to compare everything on.

Oliver...

Our 1st amendment wouldn't allow it ohal, that's reality. I was merely pointing out, if you read my post correctly that his point of it happening in America is a lot more remote, that's all, not comparing apples to oranges. I'm quite aware of the issues in Iraq and that's why I haven't questioned the action to shut down the station.

ohall
08-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Our 1st amendment wouldn't allow it ohal, that's reality. I was merely pointing out, if you read my post correctly that his point of it happening in America is a lot more remote, that's all, not comparing apples to oranges. I'm quite aware of the issues in Iraq and that's why I haven't questioned the action to shut down the station.

Man you are lost. This country at any time if needed could fall under marshall law if things got as bad as Iraq. I can tell you after hurricane Andrew I couldn't go out after a certain hour of the day. The military cut off my rights for 3 weeks. I'm sure that is news to you as well that even takes place in this country every year.

Again you keep showing your azz on these issues.

Oliver...

PhinPhan1227
08-20-2004, 12:59 AM

Freedom of Speech was eliminated by McCarthy. HAbeus Corpus was suspended by FDR. We're one decent crisis away from having any of our rights suspended.

MDFINFAN
08-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Freedom of Speech was eliminated by McCarthy. HAbeus Corpus was suspended by FDR. We're one decent crisis away from having any of our rights suspended.

I just tend to think we are a different type country today PP1227, I don't think our papers and news outlets can be shut down like that anymore. The mentality of the people have change so much since those times. That was really a different era when you think about it.

ohall
08-20-2004, 01:27 AM
I just tend to think we are a different type country today PP1227, I don't think our papers and news outlets can be shut down like that anymore. The mentality of the people have change so much since those times. That was really a different era when you think about it.

So do you think the NG can come into a town and tell ppl they can't be out on the streets after 6 PM? Isn't that against the innocent ppl rights who would never commit a crime?

I don't think you know this country as well as you think you do.

Oliver...

MDFINFAN
08-20-2004, 01:49 AM
So do you think the NG can come into a town and tell ppl they can't be out on the streets after 6 PM? Isn't that against the innocent ppl rights who would never commit a crime?

I don't think you know this country as well as you think you do.

Oliver...

That's different, freedom of speech and marshall law are 2 different things in my mind. It's a different set of circumstances to me and my way of thinking.

ohall
08-20-2004, 01:57 AM
That's different, freedom of speech and marshall law are 2 different things in my mind. It's a different set of circumstances to me and my way of thinking.

It's all the same IMO. If they can stop you from moving around freely they most certainly if things got bad enough could close newspapers down. In fact I would think closing down a newspaper would be much easier.

Oliver...

PhinPhan1227
08-20-2004, 02:16 AM

You're right...we're MORE susceptable to it now than we were then. We are a nation that has seen little hardship. Jeus Christ, I see people every day on these boards and on TV talk about the state of the nation as if we have it bad. It's mind boggling to think that the double digit unemployment of the late 70's/early 80's is already a distant memory. Or double digit inflation. This country is doing better than it has during 99% of it's existance, and yet people speak as though we were at our lowest. When people forget how bad things CAN get...it makes them VERY unprepared for when something bad DOES happen. Let the economy suffer a REAL crash. Let terrorism become HALF as common here as it is in Israel. People will offer up their first born child to whomever will keep them safe and fed.