PDA

View Full Version : Question about Polls

Super_Duper85
08-21-2004, 08:43 PM
For those who brag about W's 50% approval rate, shouldn't it be higher? After all, when the war on terrorism started, W had 70-80% approval rate. Having said that, wouldn't 50% approval rate actually be bad instead of good? Just asking.

finguy
08-22-2004, 12:04 AM
When you lose thirty points in anything it is bad. Except golf.

PhinPhan1227
08-22-2004, 05:38 AM
It's like football..so long as you score one more point than the other guy, that's all that matters.

Kamikaze
08-22-2004, 07:25 AM
If Bush doesn't get his approval above 50% within 6 weeks, you can stick a fork in him. Especially since there is a much smaller pool of undecided voters to sway this year. Most voters have made up their minds. This is why Bush's post-convention bounce will be even smaller than Kerry's was.

However, you just have to get the feeling that Shrub has his October surprise lined up. A trophy buck is probably waiting in Gitmo, you might have heard of his name before...Osama?

Or, we see another terrorist attack. Bush could be sipping on a lemonade in Crawford scratching his *** while holy hell is unleashed, and he'd be lauded for his impeccable leadership while coasting to a comfortable win in the election, if they're not cancelled that is.

However the polls shake up, I feel there will be an October surprise of some sort, whether it is planned by Bush or planned by terrorists.

Or, if there is no major shakeup in October, then we'll just see one after the election. A tie in the electoral college perhaps? Bush wins in that case. But what if this ballot measure in Colorado passes? It is proposing to do away with winner take all for its electoral votes, and instead split up the EVs. I (and others) envision a huge fight over this if it passes, and either side loses by a few EVs. Colorado could be 2004's Florida.

PhinPhan1227
08-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Honestly? polls just don't matter in this one. This one is all about turnout, and turnout in the right place. I'd be in NO way surprised to see Kerry win the popular vote but once again see the electoral college swing in Bush's favor. As for the undecideds? If someone is truly undecided right now it's probably because they either don't give a crap, or truly despise both candidates too much to be able to pick one. Either way, I don't see that person going to the polls to cast a vote.

PhinPhan1227
08-22-2004, 12:23 PM
If Bush doesn't get his approval above 50% within 6 weeks, you can stick a fork in him. Especially since there is a much smaller pool of undecided voters to sway this year. Most voters have made up their minds. This is why Bush's post-convention bounce will be even smaller than Kerry's was.

However, you just have to get the feeling that Shrub has his October surprise lined up. A trophy buck is probably waiting in Gitmo, you might have heard of his name before...Osama?

Or, we see another terrorist attack. Bush could be sipping on a lemonade in Crawford scratching his *** while holy hell is unleashed, and he'd be lauded for his impeccable leadership while coasting to a comfortable win in the election, if they're not cancelled that is.

However the polls shake up, I feel there will be an October surprise of some sort, whether it is planned by Bush or planned by terrorists.

Or, if there is no major shakeup in October, then we'll just see one after the election. A tie in the electoral college perhaps? Bush wins in that case. But what if this ballot measure in Colorado passes? It is proposing to do away with winner take all for its electoral votes, and instead split up the EVs. I (and others) envision a huge fight over this if it passes, and either side loses by a few EVs. Colorado could be 2004's Florida.

Are you aware that two other states already did away with their winner take all EC determination? Why should Colorado's be controversial?

ohall
08-22-2004, 03:43 PM

I don't agree with this, because Kerry is such a horrible canidate, maybe the worst the DEM's have ever put up. Bush can win with a sub 50 poll ratings, mainly because Kerry is that awful.

Oliver...

Kamikaze
08-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Are you aware that two other states already did away with their winner take all EC determination? Why should Colorado's be controversial?

If Bush loses the election because he only gets 5 EVs from Colorado instead of 9, you don't think he's going to fight that?