PDA

View Full Version : A philosophical question......

Baz
09-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Over the past two months, I've had a lot of issues dumped on me. While some of these have been minor, I've had a few really big issues as well. The good news is that things seemed to have evened out, so I can start the arduous process of sorting through them. During this time, I've been doing a lot of thinking, and a few thoughts keep popping into my mind:

What is my individual purpose for being here? What am I suppose to do? What is my role in this world?

I thought I knew the answers to these questions. Recently, I've been thinking I don't. Is it even possible for us to know the answers to these questions? Are these questions that are not to be answered until after we have passed from this world? I've had a very busy mind the past two months. I do realize that everyone's answer to this question is going to be different, but any insight anyone has into this would be very welcomed......

Scrap
09-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I think it's possible to know the answer to that. Some people never figure it out, but other's do.I'd like to help, but I'm not 100% sure of what you are asking. I ask myself these same questions sometimes. I would imagine that the answer is right under our noses, and we are just sometimes slow to realize it.

Sometimes I think it takes a tragic event to bring it out. Take John Walsh, for example. Had his son never been abducted and killed, America's Most Wanted probably would have never came to be a show. I'm sure many of the criminals who have been captured due to the publicity of that show, would still be running free, and committing violent crimes. This show was his purpose here on earth, IMO. It's sad, what happened to his son.But John Walsh made the best of a sad situation. (Perhaps as a tribute to his son.)

What's our purpose? I'm not sure what it is for me. I'm probably living it out, and don't even realize it.

Hellion
09-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Baz, you're 21 live your life as it comes, make the best decisions you can and alway look to the future and learn from the past. Everyone has some regrets in life, everyone makes mistakes and everyone questions there worth on this planet. Someday when you look into the eyes of your children you'll know, trust me Baz I've been in some ugly places. At your age you are just now tryting to find your place in life, it's understandable and normal to question where you fit in, there are alot more people looking inward at themselves than there are that seem to have their goals in life figured out, everyone wants to come off as confident and disiplined to their peers but inside most are doubting themselves and are concerned as you are.
Everyone has loved and lost.
Everyone has had dreams broken.
Everyone has had triumphs and failures.
Everyone looks inside EVERYONE.

No one has the awnsers to life.
No one can control the future.
The only one who has the right to validate your life is you and God.

Stay in control of yourself because if your not in control, who is?
I had a Cousin that took a shotgun and blew his brains out over a girl......a girl Baz. There is nobody on this planet except the children you bare that is worth YOUR life.
My cousin couldn't find the awnsers he was looking for, you know what his problem was? He was looking for something that didn't exist, because the only way to find the awnsers he was looking for was to live his life.
That girl? she's married has several kids and is happy, My cousin? well he's dead.

You want awnsers Baz? live until your 80+ years old and your kids grandkids and great grandkids are standing around you, then you'll have your awnsers.
I'm 37 years old the older I get the more questions are awnsered, but I still have questions.
Peace brother, and if you wanna talk pm me.

saves
09-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Very well said Hellion. I agree 100%

Baz
09-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Baz, you're 21 live your life as it comes, make the best decisions you can and alway look to the future and learn from the past. Everyone has some regrets in life, everyone makes mistakes and everyone questions there worth on this planet. Someday when you look into the eyes of your children you'll know, trust me Baz I've been in some ugly places. At your age you are just now tryting to find your place in life, it's understandable and normal to question where you fit in, there are alot more people looking inward at themselves than there are that seem to have their goals in life figured out, everyone wants to come off as confident and disiplined to their peers but inside most are doubting themselves and are concerned as you are.

I had a Cousin that took a shotgun and blew his brains out over a girl......a girl Baz. There is nobody on this planet except the children you bare that is worth YOUR life.
My cousin couldn't find the awnsers he was looking for, you know what his problem was? He was looking for something that didn't exist, because the only way to find the awnsers he was looking for was to live his life.
That girl? she's married has several kids and is happy, My cousin? well he's dead.

You want awnsers Baz? live until your 80+ years old and your kids grandkids and great grandkids are standing around you, then you'll have your awnsers.
I'm 37 years old the older I get the more questions are awnsered, but I still have questions.

Very wise and thoughtful response Hellion. I do realize that this is one of those topics that while advice and direction is greatly appreciated, it is something I will have to figure out and come to terms with on my own.

One of the things on my mind right now is my relationship, or lack thereof, with my exgirlfriend. After a year of dating, she decided we needed time off from eachother. During this time, she got courted by two guys. One of them she has been spending a lot of time with. While I know they are not dating, I know that they are becoming very close. People often tell me to move on and let things happen. "There are many fish in the sea " or "Girls come and go, you'll know when you find the one" are things I hear often. I've had a VERY difficult time with this. This girl is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I know the curves of her face like the back of my hand. There isn't an hour that goes by that she doesn't cross my mind. I used to think she was my one. I still think she is my one, but I pissed it away. Luckily I have football and classes to keep my mind off of it.

To add to that, my mother's health is in question. I don't want to go into detail here, but its a serious matter thats been sucking away what little strength I have left.

I do agree that its too early to figure out why I'm here. I used to believe I was put her to make those I care about happy. While I do still partially believe that, I don't think thats the whole reason. Happiness is something that I've given a lot of people lately, but haven't seen much of a return on the past few months. These thoughts seem to be circular, they all send me back to where I started. Anyways, I'm interested in what individual people seem to think on this subject. You often find the greatest wisdom in the least likely of places, an internet message for example ;) If anyone has any thoughts on this subject, they are most welcome......

Baz
09-14-2004, 02:39 AM
I think it's possible to know the answer to that. Some people never figure it out, but other's do.I'd like to help, but I'm not 100% sure of what you are asking. I ask myself these same questions sometimes. I would imagine that the answer is right under our noses, and we are just sometimes slow to realize it.

Sometimes I think it takes a tragic event to bring it out. Take John Walsh, for example. Had his son never been abducted and killed, America's Most Wanted probably would have never came to be a show. I'm sure many of the criminals who have been captured due to the publicity of that show, would still be running free, and committing violent crimes. This show was his purpose here on earth, IMO. It's sad, what happened to his son.But John Walsh made the best of a sad situation. (Perhaps as a tribute to his son.)

What's our purpose? I'm not sure what it is for me. I'm probably living it out, and don't even realize it.

I'm not really asking anything specific. Just people's input on why they think they are here. Just a philisophical question to challenge the willing......

I loved your answer in that last paragraph Scrap. Living it out and don't even realize it. Does that imply fate? Your John Walsh example is a great one. Was his son fated to die in order to save the future lives of thousands? By living out our purpose without knowing, would that imply there is a predetermined path we are following that will ultimately lead us to what we are meant to be? Would you be able to fulfill any possible purpose you have if you were in control of what happens to you? In other words, if we have free will and are 100% in charge of what happends to us, how would we fulfill a predetermined purpose? These are some very interesting questions that I'm going to think about in my free time. If anyone has anything to add, feel free to comment......

inFINSible
09-14-2004, 09:34 AM
The meaning of my life will be the last question answered. The answer will allow me to go peacefully.

Philter25
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Bazinet37]
What is my individual purpose for being here?
What am I suppose to do?
What is my role in this world?

[QUOTE]

Your only 21, your purpose for being here is to spread your seed son..... I dont think I need to explain "what am I supposed to do" Just keep pluggin and good things will happen..... :D

On a serious note, your purpose for being here is to live life and have fun. It doesnt matter what you do as long as you wake up in the morning and are happy. Your role can be whatever you want it to be. Just take some time, go to a quiet place and think about what you like and what gets you excited. Then try to make a career of it. It doesnt matter how much money you make as long as you roll out of bed in the morning and are happy with what you do..... If you make a pretty penny doing what you do, then its just bonus.

09-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Baz, I agree with what most of the others have said. Now my 2 cents.

You really sound like a girl has messed up your head. I can relate to that. I got crushed by several girls when I was in college. Some I really thought were "the one". I thought I would never get over it. Back then, someone told me a little rule of thumb about getting over relationships when you are the one that gets jacked. It sounded like BS at the time, but I have found it was roughly true over the years. The "rule" was that it takes twice as long as a relationship lasted to get completely over it. So, if your relationship lasted a year, you should be completely over it in 2 years. I know that is not much comfort, but it's a light at the end of the tunnel (that's not an approaching train). In the meantime, enjoy your friends and don't look for a replacement girlfriend. When you are looking, that is when you settle. It'll just happen when it's right.

Personally, about 6 years ago, I had given up on looking for "the one" after too many heartbreaks, and I had resigned myself to a partying bachelor life (nothing wrong with that). I went to a Halloween party at a crappy dive bar with a friend, and coincidentally his neighbor was there, who still lived with her ex-boyfriend. We hit it off that night, and almost 6 years later we have 2 great kids and I have found my purpose in life. My purpose is to love and take the best care of my family as possible.

Everything else is secondary now.

Like Hellion said, "Someday when you look into the eyes of your children you'll know."

Baz
09-14-2004, 08:53 PM
I totally agree about the not looking part 1972. Thats how I came to be with Amanda. She just kind of fell into my lap. I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to look. If I ignore the fact that I haven't even been attracted to another girl in months, the fact that I've got all this other stuff on my plate makes it next to impossible to put effort into it right now......

t2thejz
09-14-2004, 09:06 PM

Wow..Thats the best answer to a question like that, that I have ever heard

FIN-IN-RI
09-14-2004, 11:37 PM

Peace brother, and if you wanna talk pm me. Man that was beautiful. I wish I read this 2 years ago when I felt eerily similir to Baz. Im sorry about your cousin.

Baz keep your head up, stick your chest out and take it day by day. Soon it all sorts itself out and things will get better.

As for the questions you asked about life and your purpose well the things our fellow members have just said are the best answers you will get until you live to answer them yourself.

DolphinDevil28
09-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Bazinet, I want you to read a book called "The Purpose Driven Life."

All your questions will be answered there.

Hellion
09-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Man that was beautiful. I wish I read this 2 years ago when I felt eerily similir to Baz. Im sorry about your cousin.

Baz keep your head up, stick your chest out and take it day by day. Soon it all sorts itself out and things will get better.

As for the questions you asked about life and your purpose well the things our fellow members have just said are the best answers you will get until you live to answer them yourself.

Thanks, it was along time ago, but none the less it left a life time impression on me.
I sometimes question my marriage, and I question if I'm raising my kids right, but those are quetions that will be awnsered later in life.
My purpose in life so far has been to be a a good son, a goood brother a good friend a good student, a good soldier, a good leader, a good boss, a good follower, a good boyfriend a good husband a good father. Looking back I haven't always been good, but I never stop trying. I enjoy the things in my life, my hobbys, my family and friends.
As my life goes on the list will get longer and the people I leave behind when I die will remember me for who I was and what influances I've had on them, and I may not know what my purpose in life was, the people i've met, that i hurt, that I loved, that I had some kind of influance on. Did I change a life, save a life, take a life? Did I change the path of someone else for better or worse?
Baz, you're asking us a question that we can't possibly awnser, how can you awnser a question that hasn't been completely asked yet?
Don't ask what your purpose is, ask what your purpose has been.

Later,
Hellion,

Baz
09-15-2004, 06:07 PM
I have to say Hellion, I'm VERY impressed with your answers in this thread. Believe it or not, they have helped me out a lot. Very appreciative of your responses buddy......

Hellion
09-16-2004, 12:31 AM
I have to say Hellion, I'm VERY impressed with your answers in this thread. Believe it or not, they have helped me out a lot. Very appreciative of your responses buddy......

No problem Baz, glad I could help.