PDA

View Full Version : Greatest grunge band

Meatwad
09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
In your opinion?

In mine, it's AIC at the top, then Nirvana.

Muck
09-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Well, it's a genre who's time frame is only about 6-7 years long.

Nirvana has to be at the top because they pretty much defined the genre. But Alice in Chains has to be up top too because they were so badass. I mean, you can listen to "Dirt" all the way thru 10 times and love it.

Pearl Jam was part of it. But they weren't overly Grunge IMO because they kind of had their own sound IMO. And they certainly have written some beautiful music over the years. But they were from Seattle. And they LOOKED more Grunge than anything else. But they still rock.

Soundgarden was another top Grunge band. But at the end, they kind of did their own thing as well. So I guess they sorta "outgrew it". Proud to say I saw them on their final tour back in '96. Screaming Trees was pretty cool too.

Man I used to go to a lot of concerts....

tehMick
09-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Im not a big "Grunge" guy but if i had to choose one band i'd go with Pearl Jam.
One word:
Black

chelives
09-30-2004, 12:55 AM
mudhoney. they were the original, and the greatest. my favorite grunge band.

09-30-2004, 01:05 AM
I lost my shoe in a Pearl Jam mosh pit.
They sure did put on great concerts.

Meatwad
09-30-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, it's a genre who's time frame is only about 6-7 years long.
Nirvana has to be at the top because they pretty much defined the genre. But Alice in Chains has to be up top too because they were so badass. I mean, you can listen to "Dirt" all the way thru 10 times and love it.
Pearl Jam was part of it. But they weren't overly Grunge IMO because they kind of had their own sound IMO. And they certainly have written some beautiful music over the years. But they were from Seattle. And they LOOKED more Grunge than anything else. But they still rock.
Soundgarden was another top Grunge band. But at the end, they kind of did their own thing as well. So I guess they sorta "outgrew it". Proud to say I saw them on their final tour back in '96. Screaming Trees was pretty cool too.
Man I used to go to a lot of concerts....

No doubt when you think of grunge the first thing you think of is Nirvana. But like you said, AIC was badass. They were definitely the heaviest and the most metal out of the bunch. But their soft stuff was great. Jar of Flies is underated and is one of the best albums any of those bands have put out.

cmax13
09-30-2004, 06:00 AM
STP, Soundgarden

Wakey
09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Pearl Jam is on Letterman tonight :D

Please check this out if you don't already have the Temple Of The Dog CD. This is an absolute must have.. http://www.reachdown.com/

If you've come to this site, you're probably a fan of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, or all three. This is the first Temple Of The Dog site to explore the project from both sides of the story: many people tend to forget (or never knew) that Temple was more than Pearl Jam; it was actually initiated by Soundgarden's Chris Cornell. As such, it's fitting that this site have its roots in Five Horizons and the Unofficial Soundgarden Homepage: the active maintainers of those projects proudly present their first combined effort here.

Another MUST have is the Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD. This is one of the older Music DVD's in my collection but still the most played.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Last but not least is Mad Season..
http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/MadSeason/

Layne Staley - Vocals
Mike McCready - Guitar
Martin Barrett - Drums
"Baker" - Bass
Its Sunday, October 16, 1994. A new band - or so it seems - takes the stage at Seattles Crocodile Cafe. The audience waits expectantly, curious about what kind of music these newcomers (so new they dont even have a name yet) will provide. But, a closer look at the musicians on stage reveals that these guys arent newcomers at all. The band features members from some of the biggest groups in rock today: Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, the Screaming Trees.

Wakey
09-30-2004, 08:08 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Forgot about Audioslave :)

Philter25
09-30-2004, 08:42 AM
lol

Nirvana hands down...
Pearl Jam
AIC

Muck
09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Please check this out if you don't already have the Temple Of The Dog CD. This is an absolute must have..

Another MUST have is the Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD. This is one of the older Music DVD's in my collection but still the most played.

Last but not least is Mad Season..

Proud to say that I've owned all three for many years. 'River of Deceit' is such a great song. And I love 'Down In A Hole' off the Unplugged album.

Wakey
09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Mad Season goes in the CD player the moment we hit the interstate in Seattle heading up to Whistler Mountin in B.C.

Perfect snowboarding album :D

Den54
09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Proud to say that I've owned all three for many years. 'River of Deceit' is such a great song. And I love 'Down In A Hole' off the Unplugged album.
So you lika the Mad Season eh? :)
Did you care much for the Candle Box cd?

Den54
09-30-2004, 04:58 PM
The Singles Soundtract kicks azz.

CirclingWagons
09-30-2004, 06:45 PM
STP, Soundgarden
hell yeah...Interstate Love Song is still a favorite :cool:

Muck
10-01-2004, 01:56 AM
So you lika the Mad Season eh? :)
Did you care much for the Candle Box cd?
I had Candlebox's first CD back in middle school ('92). :) Still have it. And it actually still plays. lol.

"Far Behind" was one of the first songs I taught myself on guitar.