PDA

View Full Version : Real Salt Lake

iceblizzard69
10-09-2004, 06:12 PM
The new MLS team in Salt Lake City will be called Real Salt Lake.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=312787&cc=5901

What a ****ing stupid name.

Prime Time
10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Wow....another prime example why the MLS may never get taken seriously.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-09-2004, 07:58 PM
When soccer shortens the field and starts having scores of 8-7, i'll start watching!

iceblizzard69
10-09-2004, 08:07 PM
When soccer shortens the field and starts having scores of 8-7, i'll start watching!

I'm glad people who make stupid comments like that don't watch soccer.

Prime Time
10-09-2004, 08:41 PM

:lol:

t2thejz
10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Hes actuelly right......its soo boring to watch

Prime Time
10-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Umm not really. Soccer is non-stop and IMO is better then football, baseball, and basketball. :)

t2thejz
10-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Umm not really. Soccer is non-stop and IMO is better then football, baseball, and basketball. :)
Its non stop running, meaning that the clock is always running..but most of the time the players are just running around and nothing exciting happens in my point of view, now in football every play has a chance to be exciting. Thats just my opinion though. :cool:

iceblizzard69
10-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Hes actuelly right......its soo boring to watch

That's because you have probably never watched the sport and know nothing about it.

t2thejz
10-10-2004, 11:34 AM
That's because you have probably never watched the sport and know nothing about it.
Your wrong...I go to my schools girl soccer games all the time, and I have watched the girl olypmpic soccer team probably about 4 times.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Come on man, soccer fields are way to big. Anyone who doesn't agree is crazy. It hurts the game. Teams can't even score!!

iceblizzard69
10-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Come on man, soccer fields are way to big. Anyone who doesn't agree is crazy. It hurts the game. Teams can't even score!!

You followed up your first stupid post in this thread with an even dumber one. WOW!

Saying things like "there isn't enough scoring in soccer" and "the fields are too big" really pisses me off. It proves that you know NOTHING about the sport. It doesn't hurt the game. It is THE GAME. Soccer isn't a game where you score 20 goals a game (unless your playing against Montserrat). It's a game where every goal is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and where every chance you have to score is important. Yeah, there aren't that many goals, but you hold your breath everytime someone gets close. Soccer is an amazing sport.

iceblizzard69
10-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Your wrong...I go to my schools girl soccer games all the time, and I have watched the girl olypmpic soccer team probably about 4 times.

Have you ever watched the Champions League? Or have you at least watched MLS?

t2thejz
10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Have you ever watched the Champions League? Or have you at least watched MLS?
Not a whole game but It could just be I havnt really gave it a chance...I watched this years gold medal game for womens soccer and found it pretty exciting..I dont know I just have never been able to get into it and this is coming from someone who enjoys watching golf

FinsNYanksFan13
10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
iceblizzard have I struck a nerve? If I haven't let me try again, SOCCER SUCKS. If I wanted to watch people run, it's called track and cross country. Until Soccer starts putting some goals in the net, the sports will be nothing. I mean fans aren't asking for 20 goals, but a 5-4 game every now and again wouldn't kill anyone!!

iceblizzard69
10-11-2004, 08:33 PM
iceblizzard have I struck a nerve? If I haven't let me try again, SOCCER SUCKS. If I wanted to watch people run, it's called track and cross country. Until Soccer starts putting some goals in the net, the sports will be nothing. I mean fans aren't asking for 20 goals, but a 5-4 game every now and again wouldn't kill anyone!!

You are just continuing to prove that you know nothing about soccer and that you have never watched soccer. There is more to the game than running. You know, just because goals aren't being scored all game doesn't mean that nothing is happening!!!!

FinsNYanksFan13
10-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Things happen during soccer, im not saying they don't. A lot of soccer players are great at dribbling and make moves that are great, but the game itself is to boring. There just isn't enough action. I will give it up, it's a rougher sport then people give it credit for but as far as it becoming a better game and getting the recognition it deserves it should give the fans what they want and that is more scoring!

minus
10-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Soccer PWNS ALL SPORTS period.

People who say there no action in soccer are clueless.

minus
10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
What a stupid name.

MLS has some of the worst name for any clubs around the world.

BTW

Don't measure Soccer base on MLS because MLS is a crappy league.I know Ice will probably disagree but it just my opinion.

Mebeverine
10-12-2004, 03:32 PM
but as far as it becoming a better game and getting the recognition it deserves it should give the fans what they want and that is more scoring!

how arrogant can you get?

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and you dare to claim it hasn't got much recognition? Get a damn clue: North America is the only sporting continent in the world where it doesn't get recognition. In Europe it is a way of life.

iceblizzard69
10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
In Europe it is a way of life.

And South America, Asia, Africa, etc.

Don't measure Soccer base on MLS because MLS is a crappy league.I know Ice will probably disagree but it just my opinion

Most people who say that the MLS sucks have probably never actually watched it. The MLS obviously isn't as good as the EPL or la liga, but it isn't crappy at all.

minus
10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
And South America, Asia, Africa, etc.

Most people who say that the MLS sucks have probably never actually watched it. The MLS obviously isn't as good as the EPL or la liga, but it isn't crappy at all.

I have watched MLS and it doesn't compared to top South Americans League.

Best Leagues in the Americas are:

I have watch all the leagues.

1.Argentinian League
2.Colombian League
3.Mexican League
4.Brazilian League - Brazil might produce some of the best players in the world but their league is confusing and filled with a billion mediocre teams.
5.MLS - Mainly because Paraguyan league
and Ecudorian league are too small.

Mebeverine
10-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I think MLS is crappy and I see it every Sunday morning.

Prime Time
10-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Soccer is the MOST POPULAR sport in the world. USA is just the only country in which it does not get the recognition it deserves as pointed out by other posters here. It is something people think about EVERY DAY of their lives in some countries. Soccer is simply amazing and so exciting. IMO I'd pick Soccer over Football any day, although Football is kick @ss too. And although I think MLS does suck, I'll tend to watch games just to see some Soccer once in a while.

Dolfan02
10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Real Salt Lake is a horrible name. MLS is ripping off Euro names and jerseys. "Real" in Spanish means "royalty". It makes sense for teams in Spain because of the history with Spanish royalty, but there is NO sense in using it for Salt Lake City. What's interesting is that in this website's poll: http://www.iloveutahsoccer.com/ - people overwhelmingly did not want "Real Salt Lake" as the offical team name.

Dolfan02
10-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Its non stop running, meaning that the clock is always running..but most of the time the players are just running around and nothing exciting happens in my point of view, now in football every play has a chance to be exciting. Thats just my opinion though. :cool:

Alright you ignorant twit... it's time for me to whoop your azz on this topic.

I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football). Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football!

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

minus
10-15-2004, 01:33 PM

I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football). Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football!

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

:clap: :up:

t2thejz
10-15-2004, 04:01 PM

You ignorent twit?....Jesus go find yourself a date and get a life.

Like I said "In my opinion" I coulnt care less if the worlds sport was soccer. I can tell everyone that you have never played full contact football past 8th grade or you would know that football is not overly padded. Two people running into each other full speed doesnt feel good even with all of those pads. I dont care how hard dribbling a soccer ball is..its not exciting to watch. I think it takes more concentration and guts to catch a ball with a defender 2 feet away from you trying to knock your head off than "dibbling a soccer ball while a defender is trying to fly into your legs" plus there are limitations to that you cant just go flying into someones legs or you will get a card. I guerentee most of those 300 pound lineman are in better shape than you are and most of them dont have pot bellies. Larry Allen can lift 600 lbs. They arnt just some fat slobs running around. They are strong as hell! Most of the world, Europe the exception cant afford football with all of its pads.

Meatwad
10-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Soccer is more boring than baseball. And that's saying something.

Prime Time
10-17-2004, 01:18 PM
T2...you were :pwned:. You have no arguement. Everything is in YOUR opinion and that is okay, but you have no knowledge of Soccer (the real football) so therefore your opinion will be taking with a grain of salt.

minus
10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Soccer is more boring than baseball. And that's saying something.

LOL! :lol:

FinsNYanksFan13
10-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I agree meatwad. I'm not knocking soccer players saying they don't have stamina and atheticism, i'm saying as a fan, there isn't enough going on to keep me tuned in!!

Bodzilla29
10-25-2004, 11:27 AM
There is more going on in a game of footy then you know. Overlapping and defensive positioning are not seen on TV. There are strategies ALL OVER THE FIELD at all times. YOu have to know how to break down defenses and be able to stop an attack yourself.

People who are saying that nothing happens in soccer are no differant then people all over the wold saying the NFL is dumb because they all wear pads and just run into piles. Nothing happens and it takes 3 hours to play.

That is basically what you are saying about soccer, comparitively.

I've played both sports for years, and Soccer is WAY harder. They are both great sports and I enjoy both thoroughly but to see some people's viewpoints justify the way America is seen outside in the rest of the world. "We are better then you" and "our way or the highway"

Jwcolour
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM

I went to one of my friends soccer practices once and at the end for fun they put the goals a whole lot closer, it was actually decently packed of action.