PDA

View Full Version : Sick of the Colts!

Dajesus
08-07-2002, 08:45 PM
I am tired of many of the so called experts picking the Colts to make the SB, when I doubt they will even win their division. Yes Edge is back, so their offense will most likely be great again. Yes, Tony Dungy will bring a new swagger to the defense. The problem is they will not be able to stop the run, nor will they be able to put enough preasure on the QB to take preasure off of one of the worst secondarys in the league. Dwight Freeny will add a speed rush off the edge, but with no other talent on the d-line it will most likley will not be enough(look at J Taylor, a much more proven DE that couldn't do the job by himself last year with out Trace.) I also doubt the smaller Freeny will be able to endure the 16 game schedule this early in his NFL career. The other problem is thier d-line is the smallest in the entire NFL. Tripplet will add some bulk, but he has more question marks than the Riddlers suit in batman. This d may start off strong, but their smaller size and lack of a pass rush and pure coverage corners will seal thier faite deep in the season. I would be shocked if they make it out of the wild card round.

WharfRat
08-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Not only to your points Dejesus... but I also have to add... even with Edge being back.. why is it that everyone believes he'll be at 100% right away? Doesn't it usually take an RB more than one season to come back fully from that kind of injury?

PhinsTD
08-07-2002, 09:51 PM
It is fashionable to pick teams such as the Colts...last time I checked Tony Dungy didn't lead a team with at least as much overall talent to the SB in Tampa.

grooves12
08-07-2002, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't completely count them out though. They were the second ranked offense in both yardage and points scored in the NFL last year WITHOUT Edgerrin James. Many of their games were very close shootouts, because they could score at will on almost anyone at will, problem was they couldn't stop anyone either. So, really all they need is a small improvement in defense, and they will win quite a bit more games than they did last year. They also play in a weak division and have one of the easier schedules this year.

So, although its not the cool thing to do to not have a homeristic view of the AFC and write-off any contendors that aren't the Dolphins... They have a REALLY good shot in my opinion. Especially, if Edgerrin James come back at anywhere near 100%.

Dajesus
08-07-2002, 10:04 PM
I think thye homer coment is a little uncalled for. Last year they did put up great numbers against bad teams, but everyone struggled from Manning to their horrible defense when they played playoff teams.

dolphinators13
08-07-2002, 10:29 PM
i hate the colts.. they wont even win the division.

akfinfan
08-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Who said the Colts are predicted to be in the Super Bowl??

WharfRat
08-07-2002, 10:57 PM
I've seen a couple of rag mags predict them to go to San Diego...

Dajesus
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Chris Mortensen said his picks for the AFC are Indy and Pitt.

Predaphin
08-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Ya I agree the colts are the colts they wont make the playoffs, and if thry do they wont win one playoff game

Phinmaster1354
08-07-2002, 11:17 PM
Did you guys ever notice, once JJ QUIT on the PHINS!! OL' MORT QUIT talking about the PHINS even though WANNY has had more success than JIMMY!!! It was appearant that MORT was up JJ's ass a little bit wouldn't you say?

PhinsTD
08-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Mort's a good guy...but he really doesn't get alot right when it comes to predictions.

I really see the Phins,Titans, and Steelers as the teams to beat. If the Faiders stay healthy they could be in there as well.

grooves12
08-08-2002, 12:28 AM
I agree the homer comment was a little overboard. It just seems that everyone on this board wants to right off every single other team in the NFL other than the Dolphins. I am pretty optimistic for the Dolphins' chances, but they have just as many questions as any other team in the league. So to say we are head and shoulders above ANYONE is rediculous. I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the people saying the Colts are Super Bowl bound, but I can understand where they are coming from.

In regards to the comment about the Colts choking against playoff teams... can't the same be said about the Dolphins last year?? All they had to do was beat the Patriots, who didn't put up that much of a fight, late in the season, and we have a first-round bye... but they choked. In fact the Colts nearly beat us in one game last year too... lucky for us, their defense was horrible, and Fiedler was able to lead us to a 4th quarter comeback. But, I'm not so sure that comeback would have been there with Dungy running the D.

My contendors for the AFC:
Dolphins
Colts
Pittsburgh

... and of course there is always the one dark horse team. So, who knows who it will be this year.

Phinmaster1354
08-08-2002, 12:46 AM
I have to agree with you in a sense, that when there is a BIG GAME the PHINS have choked!! Twice against the JETS, once against the PATS and the debacle against the RAVENS on the HOME turf!!! Let's hope this will change and my contenders for the AFC are as follows!

1. STEELERS ( BEST COACH and BEST 3-4 DEFENSE)
2. DOLPHINS (IF THE O-LINE and FRONT 7 check out)
3. PATS (C'mon you can't argue with their CHEMISTRY!!)
4. RAIDERS (JUST WIN BABY)
5. JETS ( I HATE THEM BUT YOU GOTTA RESPECT CURTIS MARTIN)
6. COLTS ( OFFENSE IS TOO POTENT, plus add a little D to the equation!!)

Dajesus
08-08-2002, 01:28 AM
I am by no means saying the Dolphins are far and away the AFC's best. I would give that title to the Steelers. I am just pointing out that many people are jumping on the paper AFC champ(3 years running) Colts just because their offense is exciting, but ignoring the fact that they still have a mediocre D. Dungy is good, but it is not like he is a master of schemes like Billicheck, he plays a simple defense that thrives on speed. The reason he was so sucsesfull in Tampa was he had the 4 down lineman to put preasure on passing plays, and clog the line so the LBs could run around on running plays. He just doesn't have that yet in Indy, his d-line is imbarisingly unsersized by NFL standards, and he doesn't have any solid covre corners. I am humble enough to know that the Dolphins will be in a dog fight just to come out on top of the AFC east with the Jets, Pats, and improveing Bills.

Dajesus
08-08-2002, 01:28 AM
PS Did my original post say anything about Miami?

iceblizzard69
08-08-2002, 10:09 AM
I know their offense will be great, but Edge had a very serious injury and won't be 100% this season. Also, adding Tony Dungy doesn't suddenly make their defense great. To have a great or even just good defense, you need talent all over, not just a good guy to coach it, and the Colts really just don't have that talent.

Phinmaster1354
08-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Dungy will fix the COLTS porous secondary! He is a MASTER of the COVER 2 Coverage!Where he gives you several different looks and can disguise blitzes! Teams won't pass on them like they did last year!

baccarat
08-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Phinmaster1354
Dungy will fix the COLTS porous secondary! He is a MASTER of the COVER 2 Coverage!Where he gives you several different looks and can disguise blitzes! Teams won't pass on them like they did last year!

Unless Dungy brought John Lynch and Sapp w/ him, the Colts will struggle on defense.

Phinmaster1354
08-08-2002, 12:37 PM
JOHN LYNCH is overrated!! He's a solid hitter but he get torched ALOT!!! As for SAPP, he had an AVERAGE year recording only 6 sacks last year! I am not saying DUNGY is a miricle worker but their DEFENSE won't cost them any games! They acquired a good DB in WALT HARRIS from CHICAGO that will help the seconday! They have athletic LB's in PETERSEN and MORRIS! There is no DOUBT their Defense will be improved!! That's all I'm trying to say!!

PhinKev
08-08-2002, 01:31 PM
I think Dungy is a good but limited coach. The Colts have poor talent on defense. Unless he can play, the defense is going to be shaky no matter what kind of coverage he uses. Talent wins.

Second, Dungy is an awful coach for offense. His offense in Tampa was awful, and they went through about 3 different coordinators without anything changing. The reason: Dungy is so conservative that he will not let the coaches open things up. He says that's not true in Indy?

I wonder how many interceptions or bad passing days it will take for Dungy to order the three yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Then things will get really interesting in Indy.

Phinmaster1354
08-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by PhinKev
I think Dungy is a good but limited coach. The Colts have poor talent on defense. Unless he can play, the defense is going to be shaky no matter what kind of coverage he uses. Talent wins.

Second, Dungy is an awful coach for offense. His offense in Tampa was awful, and they went through about 3 different coordinators without anything changing. The reason: Dungy is so conservative that he will not let the coaches open things up. He says that's not true in Indy?

I wonder how many interceptions or bad passing days it will take for Dungy to order the three yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Then things will get really interesting in Indy.

I wouldn't say poor talent! ELLIS JOHNSON, CHAD BRATZKE, MIKE PETERSEN, ROB MORRIS, WALT HARRIS,IDREES BASHIR,and DWIGHT FREENEY are all solid players!! DUNGY is backing off from the OFFENSE and letting TOM MOORE run the show!Their DEFENSE will be improved we'll see in WEEK 2!!!

Dajesus
08-09-2002, 01:05 AM
I think solid it a bit of an overstatement. Two of the linebackers you have mentioned spent more time on the sidelines due to injuries than on the playing feild. As far as the d-lineman you mentioned(not Freeny) are average against the run, but invisable when it comes to rushing the passer. Brashir disapointed for most of last season so he has yet to earn "solid." If Walt Harris was my nickel back i would feel great about my secondary, but when he is your #1 corner you have problems. As for Freeny, I will overlook his only game against a NFL caliber T(Mckinnie), where he got man handled like a 2 dollar hooker, and say he could be very exciting, but he will deffinitly hit the rookie wall if not injured before. He is undersized, and will be used way to much to try to make up for the lack of a pass rush. No matter how you slice it this team will not be able to match up against the physical teams in the AFC like the Jets, Steelers, Titans, Broncos, and I hope with RWs arival the Dolphins. PS Sean Salisbury added the Colts to his top 3 teams in the AFC 2night on ESPN radio.

Phinmaster1354
08-09-2002, 01:17 AM
The only thing I am saying is their DEFENSE will be improved! They will win a few more games and even contend for the division due to their OFFENSE!! Their Defense won't cost them as many games as in the past!!

Dajesus
08-09-2002, 03:56 AM
Agreed. The Colts deffinitly won't have a 6-10 season again, but my point is that many NFL "experts" are picking them for the SB or AFC championship, and I think this is more of a lust for their offense failing to see that their D is far from SB ready. If you notice the Rams defense in the 2 years they went to the SB finished in the top 10(I think top 5 for both years, but i am not positvie) I don't think the Colts made enough moves to make them move up 20 spots in total defense. A coach with a simple scheme can't overcome all the short commings this defense has.

PhinKev
08-09-2002, 10:51 AM
I think Dungy's philosophy will cause problems for the type of offense Manning and Co. want to run. Just wait till tough choices have to be made and you might see some very unhappy players.

grooves12
08-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by PhinKev
I think Dungy's philosophy will cause problems for the type of offense Manning and Co. want to run. Just wait till tough choices have to be made and you might see some very unhappy players.

Actually, Im not so sure he has the power to make any drastic changes on offense. If I remember right, when he signed with th e Colts they made it very clear to him, that he was there to fix their D. He was not allowed to change any of the offensive coaches or schemes.

Basically, I think its a pretty similar setup in Indy to what they have in Washington with Spurrier controlling the O and Marvin Lewis for the D. But, Dungy may have a LITTLE bit more control on the other side of the ball. I SERIOUSLY doubt you will see any run,run,run,punt going on... EVER. It will be the same as it has been for the last two years.

jenni
01-12-2004, 07:57 PM
I ilove the dolphins, but i also love the colts and i am dwight freeny's biggest fan! i think that the colts do have a shot to go to the super bowl and people shouldent be hatin!

jenni
01-12-2004, 07:58 PM
i think this guy needs to quit hatin on the colts and especially dwight freeny!

Originally posted by Dajesus
I am tired of many of the so called experts picking the Colts to make the SB, when I doubt they will even win their division. Yes Edge is back, so their offense will most likely be great again. Yes, Tony Dungy will bring a new swagger to the defense. The problem is they will not be able to stop the run, nor will they be able to put enough preasure on the QB to take preasure off of one of the worst secondarys in the league. Dwight Freeny will add a speed rush off the edge, but with no other talent on the d-line it will most likley will not be enough(look at J Taylor, a much more proven DE that couldn't do the job by himself last year with out Trace.) I also doubt the smaller Freeny will be able to endure the 16 game schedule this early in his NFL career. The other problem is thier d-line is the smallest in the entire NFL. Tripplet will add some bulk, but he has more question marks than the Riddlers suit in batman. This d may start off strong, but their smaller size and lack of a pass rush and pure coverage corners will seal thier faite deep in the season. I would be shocked if they make it out of the wild card round.

3P
01-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Daaaaymmmm... Jenni welcome to the site... Starting from the begining, I see :lol:

Noland
01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I think ESPN has turned into the PeytonESPN?

Muck
01-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey jenni. :welcome: aboard.

But you should know that these statements were made in early August. :)

wonderl33t
01-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Muck
Hey jenni. :welcome: aboard.

But you should know that these statements were made in early August. :)

not only that, LAST August (2002)