PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana proposals go to voters in three Western states

finataxia24
10-11-2004, 10:23 AM
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The Bush administration's war on drugs stretches deep into Asia and Latin America, yet one of its most crucial campaigns — in the eyes of drug czar John Walters — is being waged this fall among voters in Oregon, Alaska and Montana.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/issues/2004-10-10-marijuana-measures_x.htm

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2004/10/potproposalinside-1.jpg

Diane Giessen, a glaucoma patient, lights a marijuana pipe in Washington state. Three other Western states are considering marijuana measures.

Jwcolour
10-11-2004, 10:36 AM
For the majority of people who smoke marijuana, there is no psychological effect. The others turn into lazy smelly hippies. Such as that lady.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Who cares who smokes weed. It's harmless! It grows on it's on like roses, grass, and every other "plant" in the world. It's not like coke, where dealers are putting all this crap into it. Let people smoke weed if they want!! It won't kill them!!

iceblizzard69
10-11-2004, 09:21 PM
The others turn into lazy smelly hippies. Such as that lady.

Can you read? It says she has glaucoma. That's real nice of you to call her a "lazy, smelly, hippie." :nono:

Marijuana laws are way too strict. I don't smoke, but I think it should be legalized. The government shouldn't be able to tell you if you can use a drug or not. It's your body, you should be allowed to do to it whatever you want.

Jwcolour
10-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh I smoke tons of pot, don't get wrong. It is my body and I should be allowed to do to it what I want, and I do. There's no doubt that it too is a gateway drug though, i've had my friends wig out on acid and have to go to rehab, i was with him when he was tripping. I had no idea what was going on he was eating scabs off his arm and sucking his blood, then he told his mom he was jesus. Now if you talk to him it's impossible to have a conversation. He's nuts. I know a bunch of other people who blow coke all the time too. People don't just start out blowing lines or droppin acid or eating shrooms and shootin up heroine, it starts with weed. Smoke weed, meet the dealers, meet the dealers friends, one of the dealers decides to make more money. Why not slang some powder? If you're friends with him he'll give you lines for free, then you start buyin, more and more, its a hell of a good time why not? It ain't like weed is completely harmless. It won't kill you if you smoke too much as opposed to drinking, or blowing, or shooting up. It's not an instant killer, still a carcinogen and still leads you to new and better, sweeter drugs. That isn't always a good thing. I just hope you don't turn into a lazy, smelly, hippie. Like the many lazy, smelly, hippies I know.

About glaucoma, You're not gonna get me to feel bad for that lady. Sucks she has glaucoma, but the shirt she is wearing is a tell tale sign that she is a smelly hippie. Go to a children's hospital and talk to some of the kids with leukemia, those are people who my heart goes out too.

Rafiki
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Historically the federal government has been way too hard on Mary Jane. It's classified with Cocaine and Heroin in the First Classification. And even though doctors say it's okay for some uses, the fed still infriges on California's rights (a state which is sometimes overboard on health concerns).

The war on drugs is unwinnable because it's a war against disorders. It's like saying that a war on fast-food would make everyone skinny.

Jwcolour
10-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Historically the federal government has been way too hard on Mary Jane. It's classified with Cocaine and Heroin in the First Classification. And even though doctors say it's okay for some uses, the fed still infriges on California's rights (a state which is sometimes overboard on health concerns).

The war on drugs is unwinnable because it's a war against disorders. It's like saying that a war on fast-food would make everyone skinny.

Are you sure it's classed with Coke and Heroin? I mean if you get stopped by a cop for smoking around here, you'll probably only get a UPM (unlawful possesion of marijuana), if not just let off on a warning and them taking and breaking your paraphanalia. I'm almost positive that if you get caught with Coke you're headed to the slammer.

I know if you are being tested for cocaine if you have been say abusing ritalin it will come up as coke on drug tests.

Meatwad
10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
go marijuana!!

Scrap
10-12-2004, 02:50 PM
If weed is ever legalized, shouldn't drugs like Paxil, Zoloft, or Prozac be legalized for sale too? A lot of people say they use weed to relieve stress. These drugs do that too.

I'm not for legalizing weed, and I'm not interested in joining in the arguement, as I have numerous times on this board. I was just curious as to people's opinion of my first statement.

iceblizzard69
10-12-2004, 04:17 PM
If weed is ever legalized, shouldn't drugs like Paxil, Zoloft, or Prozac be legalized for sale too? A lot of people say they use weed to relieve stress. These drugs do that too.

Yes. It's your body. Do what you want to do to it.

Jwcolour
10-12-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm not for legalizing weed, and I'm not interested in joining in the arguement, as I have numerous times on this board. I was just curious as to people's opinion of my first statement.

See, I smoke pot to get high and have a good time. Just because i'm smoking it doesn't mean it should be legal.

As for Paxil, it has been determined that in a number of cases Paxil has caused patients to react violently and suicidal.

The class of drug that those three (Paxil Zoloft and Prozac) are in (SSRI's) have been blamed for the Columbine Shootings and also the murder-suicide of Phil Hartmann.

I don't think the saying "It's your body, do what you want." is sufficient to support the fact that drugs should be legal. Hell would you want PCP to be legalized? I certainly don't want America to be run by a bunch of high *** zombies, especially ones that could turn violent. If there was one drug that possibly should be legalized it would be marijuana. I stress the word possibly because there's plenty of reasons for it NOT to be legalized.

Scrap
10-12-2004, 08:46 PM
See, I smoke pot to get high and have a good time. Just because i'm smoking it doesn't mean it should be legal.

As for Paxil, it has been determined that in a number of cases Paxil has caused patients to react violently and suicidal.

The class of drug that those three (Paxil Zoloft and Prozac) are in (SSRI's) have been blamed for the Columbine Shootings and also the murder-suicide of Phil Hartmann.

I don't think the saying "It's your body, do what you want." is sufficient to support the fact that drugs should be legal. Hell would you want PCP to be legalized? I certainly don't want America to be run by a bunch of high *** zombies, especially ones that could turn violent. If there was one drug that possibly should be legalized it would be marijuana. I stress the word possibly because there's plenty of reasons for it NOT to be legalized.I take prozac. You beat me to making the point of people becoming suicidal when using anti depressants. I'm not suicidal, but there are times that I feel Prozac has it's bad side, and I get pretty down. There are times that I'm totally stress free as well. I'd say it has it's positives and negatives.

The point of my question, was to show how easily we could come to accept other drugs as being okay, and harmless. Anti-depressants aren't always harmless.

I know lots of people who smoke weed, and none of them are troublemakers.I don't think weed causes people to do bad things.
However, if we legalize the use of weed. Other drugs WILL be next on the list.

Good post, by the way.

arsenal
10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
i dont smoke, but even i know marijuana is 10x safer than alcohol, yet alcohol is legal... its dumb, marijuana really is like smoking a cigarrete that will calm you down... its not like alcohol where you'll have crazy drunks running wild doing stupid things, if everyone smoked pot theyd all be in their houses lounging eating snacks instead of out doing dumb stuff, haha...

Jwcolour
10-14-2004, 11:04 PM
That still doesn't mean it should be legal. In my oppinion the only reason alcohol is legal today is because its always prevalent in our society for hundreds, even thousands of years. They tried to ban alcohol a long time ago and it didn't work.

t2thejz
10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
That still doesn't mean it should be legal. In my oppinion the only reason alcohol is legal today is because its always prevalent in our society for hundreds, even thousands of years. They tried to ban alcohol a long time ago and it didn't work.
Youve been right on the dot this whole thread

Baz
10-16-2004, 05:14 AM
To say that marijuana is safer than alcohol is only partly correct. Short term, marijuana is indeed safer. Marijuana, in most cases, calms you down and makes you "chill out", so to speak. Alcohol, on the other hand, releases most inhibitions, which can be either calm, or wildly out of control. So for a single night of fun, it would be safe to make that assumption......

Long term, this is not the case. Alcohol damages your liver, which is the quickest regenerating organ in the body. As long as it never gets to alcoholism, your body is very capable of repairing itself from drinking. Marijuana directly effects neurons in your brain. Coincidentally, these regenerate very slowly, if at all. Short answer: use of marijuana over time kills brain cells, which cannot regenerate. Alcohol kills liver cells, which just so happen to regenerate very quickly......

This is not to say that these are the only thing each of these substances effect. However, those are each substances main targets. Anyone who uses these substances knows they are hurting themselves in the first place. Its just a matter of where and how much.....

Jwcolour
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Youve been right on the dot this whole thread

Thanks